Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

Athropos posted:

I picked high elf. I couldnt stand being a dwarf even if they objectively have the best stats and human's night vision kind of put me off.

Post your in-game name if you want a guild invite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athropos
May 4, 2004

"Skeletons are Number One! Flesh just slows you down."
Edit: nm

Athropos fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Feb 1, 2017

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

ChairmanMauzer posted:

Post your in-game name if you want a guild invite.

Heh, is this like when you go on a tinder date and the person is way more grotesque that the pictures lead on and you walked out as soon as you saw them at the table from across the room?

Goons.

Athropos
May 4, 2004

Dustoph posted:

Heh, is this like when you go on a tinder date and the person is way more grotesque that the pictures lead on and you walked out as soon as you saw them at the table from across the room?

Goons.

Haha well I joined a friend's guild (Blackheart pirates) but it's looking dead as gently caress most of the day so idk.

Athropos fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Feb 2, 2017

Ashenden
Feb 6, 2013

Athropos posted:

Haha well I joined a friend's guild (Blackheart pirates) but it's looking dead as gently caress most of the dead so idk.

So just like Unknown Guild, then?

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I'm rolling a dwarf pala :3

Orange DeviI fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Feb 2, 2017

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
dorf roll, best roll

Hyyyooouuuup!

Athropos
May 4, 2004

Actually made an Iksar Necromancer alt to compliment my paladin. Come buy my garbage bone chips in FoB so I can afford my spells. :) Name is Athranax, also looking for a tag on this guy.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Does anyone have a Rapier of Oriin lying around they'd sell?

Ashenden
Feb 6, 2013
Upper Guk is amazing exp at 20 and practically deserted, would recommend to anybody having trouble finding a spot. Thanks Athropos for the suggestion. Asked the guy at Squire to message me when done and he just handed me a RBF. Got the Elf wearing Elf-Hide Gloves thing going on now. Would also be down to group and camp Warden, really want the Troll-Hide Belt from him. Get your Necro to 20s Athro. Think I might stay here til I can go to HHK at 26.

Once I hit the 40s someday we should try to do a goon Lower Guk group, I know how much you all hate it. Seeing Mauzer's Shaman tear through levels makes me feel like I should go faster.

Ashenden fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Feb 7, 2017

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Ashenden posted:

Upper Guk is amazing exp at 20 and practically deserted, would recommend to anybody having trouble finding a spot. Thanks Athropos for the suggestion. Asked the guy at Squire to message me when done and he just handed me a RBF. Got the Elf wearing Elf-Hide Gloves thing going on now. Would also be down to group and camp Warden, really want the Troll-Hide Belt from him. Get your Necro to 20s Athro. Think I might stay here til I can go to HHK at 26.

Once I hit the 40s someday we should try to do a goon Lower Guk group, I know how much you all hate it. Seeing Mauzer's Shaman tear through levels makes me feel like I should go faster.
A guy once wrote that could level a Troll from 1-50 (and beyond I guess) in just the three zones of Innothule, UGuk and LGuk. The level spans in the old dungeons was so crazy.

Athropos
May 4, 2004

Ashenden posted:

Yeah man, upper guk is always almost deserted and it's the fastest exp I've done ever. Like 2-3-4% per kill even on some that con green to me. I did 20-25 mega fast. I actually decided to regear my iksar shaman because while I love tanking, I need a class that is able to farm, get around the world and solo, which the paladin couldnt provide. Currently at level 26 and looking for spots to level. Name is Xeronak

nyclin
Jun 19, 2001

Pilsner posted:

A guy once wrote that could level a Troll from 1-50 (and beyond I guess) in just the three zones of Innothule, UGuk and LGuk. The level spans in the old dungeons was so crazy.

Totally possible. You can ride LGuk all the way to 54 if you really hate yourself. Easier to just go to SolB after 52 though.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
https://wiki.project1999.com/Recommended_Levels_and_ZEM_List

some zones are better than others because of this, right?

Sarren
Apr 13, 2004
Any mostly melee class that can solo decently enough? I'm gonna get back into this after forever off and I usually end up mostly soloing.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Monk is probably the easiest but you're still going to have a rough time if you're untwinked. There's plenty of decent monk gear that's pretty cheap though.

Think the rest of the classes would be pretty rough, though it's been done before (solo untwinked rogue to 60 etc).

Amish
Nov 26, 2004

Murder is on the menu.
YouTube videos of random people playing EQ on the P99 server made me really want to sign up and play again. Sigh.

I started a Bard because of both solo potential and demand in groups if I get to that point. Any recommendations on where I should go for experience (I'm in EC now, but roving lions are the death of me) or cheap gear I can aim for?

Ashenden
Feb 6, 2013
Yeah you're really screwed if you want to be a melee character and also solo. It's the reason I'm playing a bard.

Iksar Monk isn't completely terrible, my hasteless mediocre one on Red could take on Oggok guards when they conned blue. Most of the time. Stuff gets a little faster when you can bandage to 70% too.

Basically you're gonna have to RMT a Fungi.

Ashenden
Feb 6, 2013

Amish posted:

YouTube videos of random people playing EQ on the P99 server made me really want to sign up and play again. Sigh.

I started a Bard because of both solo potential and demand in groups if I get to that point. Any recommendations on where I should go for experience (I'm in EC now, but roving lions are the death of me) or cheap gear I can aim for?

I think a lot of people get buffed in ECT then run through to North Ro to kill things instead of staying in Commons. I'm really bad at the low levels, you could look for orc camp groups in EC or go to Crushbone like I always wind up doing. The entrance of Guk is probably fantastic at whatever level that is. Looks like 6. Can also get Mesh Armor to fill in empty slots.

Only gear I have any real knowledge on is instruments. You don't need to upgrade your Wind Instrument for pretty much ever, there are no cheap Brass instruments, cheap Lute is only 10% better than a store one and you won't even see a number change on Hymn from that for a long time. Best instrument upgrade is a Mistmoore Battle Drum for 30% faster Selo's. Mauzer had one on Chairman he was gonna give me, but I was going to keep it in the bank for faster CRs so it'd be better on someone else.

I'm poor as gently caress but I'm nearby in Innothule Swamp and have some Elf-hide Gloves you can have (4 AC, 5Dex/AGI). They're pretty cool. Also you can try auctioning in EC that you wanna buy a bard weapon for 10pp or whatever and hope somebody feels bad for you and gives you something worth 50-100 instead.

Ashenden fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Feb 8, 2017

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Athropos posted:

Yeah man, upper guk is always almost deserted and it's the fastest exp I've done ever. Currently at level 26

Yah the back of UGuk by LGuk live side is pretty amazing till the mid 30's iirc. Then you just zone into live side and continue.

It's nice to have an escape hatch for your xp camp.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Herv posted:

Yah the back of UGuk by LGuk live side is pretty amazing till the mid 30's iirc. Then you just zone into live side and continue.

It's nice to have an escape hatch for your xp camp.

Is this something you guys are soloing or are there enough people to find a small group?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Amish posted:

Depending on level, you can group and basically live in crushbone until the mid teens and then move to Unrest which is usually pretty packed. If you want to solo, hit West Commonlands and get your murder on all the wisps and turn in the lightstones for fun and profit and faction.

There's also the Nybright camp in Lesser faydark. It's super loving dangerous to do wander too far out but the sisters are level 12ish and drop bronze weapons if you're willing to risk it.

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

DrPossum posted:

Is this something you guys are soloing or are there enough people to find a small group?

A little of both over the last 7 years on this server to be honest.

You can use the zoneline for splitting the mobs if need be, (e.g. root/snare and zone it) if you cant pacify or something else to split.

Same goes for SolB when you can kill Kobolds, use the SolA zone in by the Window camp in SolB.

The vanilla super-dungeons have some neato quirks like that.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Every bard I've ever played in P99 grew up in Blackburrow farming gnoll teeth. Super good ZEM there and the xp for the turn-ins is hard to beat. Just beware that if you do it too much (I did something like 20 stacks) then one of the guards between you and the guild hall becomes super KOS and he's no push-over. By then you should be done with Qeynos forever though. After that you can have fun in East Karana, North Karana, I think the Centaurs shoot bows now so South Karana is slightly less attractive, LOIO, you name it.

Ashenden
Feb 6, 2013

DrPossum posted:

I was soloing Squire and Lguk zone line but there are often people coming in doing LFG or groups at the Lguk area.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Amish posted:

I can hook you up with some starter plat for a lambent armor set if you want!

Athropos
May 4, 2004

Ashenden posted:

Yeah you're really screwed if you want to be a melee character and also solo. It's the reason I'm playing a bard.

Iksar Monk isn't completely terrible, my hasteless mediocre one on Red could take on Oggok guards when they conned blue. Most of the time. Stuff gets a little faster when you can bandage to 70% too.

Basically you're gonna have to RMT a Fungi.

Is RMT even doable these days? It seems to be so incredibly monitored that id be scared to even rmt for 10k to gear an alt.

Like it sucks because I'd really like to play a tank and god knows the server needs more tanks but unless I strip my shaman I cannot gear one properly (meaning about 20k worth of stuff). I need my shaman to be able to get around and farm stuff eventually, so I'm sort of stuck playing him. I tried the whole paladin thing and got to 25 before I figured I'd never be able to solo any camps worth money and would depend on sow potions to get around. At least crusty gear seems pretty cheap these days though but you still need an haste item+weapons to play a good tank. Crusty is garbage on paladins because of negative charisma but for SKs its so much better than darkforge.

Athropos fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Feb 9, 2017

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
Do not attempt RMT. That diptard was just being coy.

Athropos
May 4, 2004

moolchaba posted:

Do not attempt RMT. That diptard was just being coy.

Yeah dont worry, not worth the risk.

Ashenden
Feb 6, 2013

Athropos posted:

Is RMT even doable these days? It seems to be so incredibly monitored that id be scared to even rmt for 10k to gear an alt.

I need my shaman to be able to get around and farm stuff eventually, so I'm sort of stuck playing him. I tried the whole paladin thing and got to 25 before I figured I'd never be able to solo any camps worth money and would depend on sow potions to get around

This sums up why pretty much every goon that has stuck with the game leveled a Druid. Shamans are cool too but more expensive and with a later payoff.

moolchaba posted:

That diptard was just being coy.

Just a jovial attempt at getting across the bleakness of wanting your first character to be a melee.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
That's not the correct usage of "coy" anyways, so it cancels out the burn.

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

paladins use charisma?

Athropos
May 4, 2004

insulated staircase posted:

paladins use charisma?

For lull/soothe.

Ashenden
Feb 6, 2013
Whoever it was that gave me the 2x 6/65 rings really helped me out when I had to become the tank for an empty HHK later that night. Thanks again.

Ashenden fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Feb 11, 2017

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
Good loving lord I forgot how easy it was to accidentally binge on this game. Sorry employer for "working from home due to snow"

Ashenden
Feb 6, 2013
To the guy who is completely new to the game and needs to get to BB rings, download this to make your life easy. http://www.zlizeq.com/ZlizEQ_Projects-ZlizEQMap

Also to any of the new Bards playing, I've got 2 pair of Elf-hide Gloves (4 AC, 5 Dex, 5 Agi) if you want. Hit me up on Sugoi.

Anybody know if people still do open level 52 or whatever Vox and Naggy raids?

Ashenden fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Feb 11, 2017

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
36 monk twink perma parked in lguk, lfg sometime this winter.

My CoF is missing but still have a fungi/tstaff.

nyclin
Jun 19, 2001

Ashenden posted:

Anybody know if people still do open level 52 or whatever Vox and Naggy raids?

Haven't seen one in quite a while. V/N die pretty quickly to whichever guild notices them up.

Ashenden
Feb 6, 2013
Hung out in Skyshrine with Welt last night and got Guardian Breastplate, Gauntlets, and 2x Bracers. Pretty badass. Also did the Bracer of Hammerfal quest once but didn't get that. Seems really annoying to do without a druid to help port back and forth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
Anyone have any tips for leveling a Barb shaman? Level 14 right now, any good solo spots or should I try to stick to grouping?