Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Oh, poo poo, I didn't even parse that it was Canadian moneys. That's insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
You can find them in the £3-4k region here now. They're probably a little suspect at that price, though.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

slidebite posted:

Oh yeah, for sure. Cayennes value fall to the floor faster than a crack whore although not quite that cheap up here. $15K :canada: for a fairly low mileage Turbo is drat cheap.. for here at least. (71K Miles for $11,500 about US.

Note the small coolant leak mentioned in the ad, I wouldn't play around with this particular example.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

I'm thinking about that and clear tail lights

I dunno man, I can't look at those clear tails without having flashbacks to the honda tuning scene from the early 00s. The red/white contrast looks better imo.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
Here's a fine example of the mythical $10k 911. If it's driveable then it's easily worth the price especially considering the work done and it's an early 98 build with a clean carfax https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/5985636694.html

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

Jymmybob posted:

Here's a fine example of the mythical $10k 911. If it's driveable then it's easily worth the price especially considering the work done and it's an early 98 build with a clean carfax https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/5985636694.html

I'm sure it's thrashed if it's been driven around Philly to any extent.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Full plastidip would make very suspicious of paint/body damage and rust being covered up.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

slidebite posted:

fall to the floor faster than a crack whore although not quite that cheap

Come on, it's not 1992, grow the gently caress up.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

To all the crackwhores on this forum, I sincerely apologize for my immature and outdated metaphor.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

slidebite posted:

To all the crackwhores on this forum, I sincerely apologize for my immature and outdated metaphor.
I thought you knew it was outdated and immature, but chose to use it sarcastically, the nature of it being such making the use of "crack whore" funny on a secondary level.

A meta-whore, if you like.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Motronic posted:

Full plastidip would make very suspicious of paint/body damage and rust being covered up.

Well yes that and also the 18 years and 156k miles

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Pryor on Fire posted:

ITS 2017

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
Well I think I just did another thing :cripes:

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Pryor on Fire posted:

Your username is a loving crack joke, stop being so wound up.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Jymmybob posted:

Well I think I just did another thing :cripes:

Oh my god. What. Did. You. Do?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
At any point in time, you're either getting close to sliding backwards into a tree or further away from it.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

slidebite posted:

Oh my god. What. Did. You. Do?

It's really nothing that crazy but I had been looking for a cheap manual car on craigslist because after taking the 911 out a couple times I realized that it's just too far beyond my abilities. I can get from A to B but I have maybe 40-50 hours in a manual at best, all of it was 15 years ago, and I'm just not good enough so I wanted something cheaper than a transmission rebuild to learn the do's and don'ts until it becomes second nature. Well, I stumbled onto a relatively cheap 968 which I just made a agreement with the seller for that I'm going to be shipping in a couple days. It's a black on black 1993 6 speed with an LSD and 7k on a rebuilt engine owned by the seller for over 10 years and comes with a binder of receipts starting from 1997. I haven't seen the car in person but considering a nearly identical one on Ebay went for 4700 with a mashed up front end, 2 blown airbags, and a salvage title, I'm not too worried about paying 7000 for this one if it's half as nice as it seems.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

The 968 is one of my irrational want cars. I'm curious to see/hear about it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Jymmybob posted:

a nearly identical one on Ebay went for 4700 with a mashed up front end, 2 blown airbags, and a salvage title, I'm not too worried about paying 7000 for this one if it's half as nice as it seems.

You did good.

And the smashed up one is still worth 4700 because that's what me and a bunch of other people would pay for the 6 speed transaxle with LSD all on its own.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

Jymmybob posted:

It's really nothing that crazy but I had been looking for a cheap manual car on craigslist because after taking the 911 out a couple times I realized that it's just too far beyond my abilities. I can get from A to B but I have maybe 40-50 hours in a manual at best, all of it was 15 years ago, and I'm just not good enough so I wanted something cheaper than a transmission rebuild to learn the do's and don'ts until it becomes second nature.
Let me drive it :getin:, I say as someone who has never driven anything with more than ~360hp (120 in RWD).

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

willroc7 posted:

Let me drive it :getin:, I say as someone who has never driven anything with more than ~360hp (120 in RWD).

Who knows, you might be a chance sometime.

It's not just the power it's the way boost builds incredibly fast after 3000rpm and since I have to think about the next shift too long and I just run out of time. I mean I DD a 500hp Jeep but it's a gentle giant compared to the 911 constantly trying to murder me accidentally. It's easy to drive but I'm never going to be able to drive it fast while learning on it.

Also it was a reason to buy another Porsche :getin:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Neat video of 5 lowest-volume production Porsches:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vI-QGvxXDI&t=25s

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

Jymmybob posted:

Who knows, you might be a chance sometime.

It's not just the power it's the way boost builds incredibly fast after 3000rpm and since I have to think about the next shift too long and I just run out of time. I mean I DD a 500hp Jeep but it's a gentle giant compared to the 911 constantly trying to murder me accidentally. It's easy to drive but I'm never going to be able to drive it fast while learning on it.

Also it was a reason to buy another Porsche :getin:

You can practice manual on my Miata. Even stevens.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Not a 10k 911, but arguably one that needs nothing:
https://boston.craigslist.org/nos/cto/6001867275.html

Re the rebuilt Boxster I bought -- it's in FL, and my friend who is holding onto the car for me until his wedding fell in love with it as soon as the seller drove it over.
He's trying to buy it off me before I've even seen it! Pending approval from his fiancee.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

kimbo305 posted:

Re the rebuilt Boxster I bought -- it's in FL, and my friend who is holding onto the car for me until his wedding fell in love with it as soon as the seller drove it over.
He's trying to buy it off me before I've even seen it! Pending approval from his fiancee.

Hahaha, that's awesome. Upon approval are you going to sell it and continue the adventure?

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

That's a great grab if you want the cheapest foot in the door to the 911 world, IMS already done and everything. Maybe when I move on from my 991 and am forced to get a real car I will pick up a super cheap 996 or 997 as a side piece

BEHOLD: MY CAPE fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Feb 13, 2017

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
Confirmed the sale, hopefully will get it this week. He only listed it on the PCA classifieds so I'm pretty sure it's going to own. Welcome to your new home

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So jelly man. Congrats.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

God loving drat you lucky basted.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

slidebite posted:

So jelly man. Congrats.

The true reward will be my wife not trolling me about being terrible at driving the 911

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

kimbo305 posted:

I think you know what you must do, price gouge your friend on the boxster s and go buy that 996.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I'm honestly thinking of calling up and asking about that 996 before the Boxster issue is even cleared up. They're a pretty legit shop, with a lot of Porsche project cars and one F40 (the last NOS F40 gearbox was being put in it when I went there to check out an M5).

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Anyone know what was the last year for the MT Cayenne in the US?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Well if autotrader is to be believed the newest one listed for sale is a MY2014.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
It's here and overall not bad. The exterior has some loose trims and a few scuffs and dents but nothing close to functional damage or anything to cause panel misalignment. I think with some home paintless dent removal and a good buff/wax it'd be decent. The interior was super dirty but after some light vacuuming and wiping down the leather it's merely dirty and other than some driver seat wear and dash cracks it's actually pretty good. Mechanically everything seems fine, battery was dead but after charging it starts reliably and drives fine for a 24 year old sports car. The giant I4, light weight, and forgiving clutch makes it super easy to drive but the parking brake is disconnected so I need to figure that out because it's my preferred hill start method. There's also an alarm issue and a couple open harnesses that are causing minor alerts but I haven't looked into wiring diagrams or hooked up the durametric yet.

It's perfectly fine to beat on though and with some TLC it'll be go from poor to good condition because the car is solid with little irritating things. I'm just going to drive the balls off it until I'm comfortable in the 996TT, then either store or sell it depending on how nice it ends up being. I think it's still easily worth the 6900 though.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

I'm honestly thinking of calling up and asking about that 996 before the Boxster issue is even cleared up. They're a pretty legit shop, with a lot of Porsche project cars and one F40 (the last NOS F40 gearbox was being put in it when I went there to check out an M5).
Seems like a good deal, and hell, you probably won't lose much, if any, money on it.

statement not guaranteed for accuracy

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Asked about it Fri; heard today that it was sold to the first person to see it. Oh well.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Jymmybob posted:

It's here and overall not bad. The exterior has some loose trims and a few scuffs and dents but nothing close to functional damage or anything to cause panel misalignment. I think with some home paintless dent removal and a good buff/wax it'd be decent. The interior was super dirty but after some light vacuuming and wiping down the leather it's merely dirty and other than some driver seat wear and dash cracks it's actually pretty good. Mechanically everything seems fine, battery was dead but after charging it starts reliably and drives fine for a 24 year old sports car. The giant I4, light weight, and forgiving clutch makes it super easy to drive but the parking brake is disconnected so I need to figure that out because it's my preferred hill start method. There's also an alarm issue and a couple open harnesses that are causing minor alerts but I haven't looked into wiring diagrams or hooked up the durametric yet.

It's perfectly fine to beat on though and with some TLC it'll be go from poor to good condition because the car is solid with little irritating things. I'm just going to drive the balls off it until I'm comfortable in the 996TT, then either store or sell it depending on how nice it ends up being. I think it's still easily worth the 6900 though.

Seriously 6900? Sometimes I really hate the Australian car market.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Jymmybob posted:

Yeah you did well although it never ceases to amaze me people trying to sell their cars but can't take the most basic measures of cleaning them up.

Cleaning that thing up would make it a $5-figure car here for sure up here. It probably is already.
e:
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/1994-porsche-968-series-coupe/1235675505?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

slidebite posted:

Yeah you did well although it never ceases to amaze me people trying to sell their cars but can't take the most basic measures of cleaning them up.

Cleaning that thing up would make it a $5-figure car here for sure up here. It probably is already.
e:
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/1994-porsche-968-series-coupe/1235675505?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

There's some crazy pricing variations because they're pretty rare and the price scales crazy hard with color, condition, and option rarity. There's a couple hardcore guys who run a registry and can pretty much say where the majority of driving 968s are in the US.

I tooled around in it this morning getting it to work where I can start doing serious work on it but managed to get pulled over for no plates and it didn't help I didn't have a bill of sale or any documentation for it beyond some texts so I had to prove it wasn't stolen. Everything got worked out though and I made it in and had a good time doing so. It's super easy to drive and zooms around like a go-kart so I don't think it'll take long for me to get used to it enough that I retry the 911.

Goals for this week are:
1) Clean the interior and redo a couple loose harnesses/wires
2) Order rocker fasteners and gasket to get those flush again
3) Check out the suspension and steering systems for worn or loose stuff
4) Make sure wheels and tires are balanced and hold air
5) Find out why the stereo doesn't have power while the other systems after that fuse do

Long term:
1) Fix alarm system
2) Fix parking brake
3) Full sand and repaint in signal green. Black on black is the most common and if I'm going to fix the dents/scuffs it'll need some paint so might as well make it pleasing