Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Platystemon posted:

I can’t think of anything that the show has covered that the first book didn’t, other than the character introductions you mentioned.

It incorporates elements from the novellas, though sometimes pretty loosely. The protagonist of The Vital Abyss is Cortázar, for instance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Toast Museum posted:

It incorporates elements from the novellas, though sometimes pretty loosely. The protagonist of The Vital Abyss is Cortázar, for instance.

I forgot the guy’s name, but you’re right.

The strike on the Martian moon is pushed up in the show, now that I think about it. IIRC they swapped moons, probably for poetic reasons—personification of dread fitting the monologue better than personification of horror.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
The launch of the Nauvoo is far more epic than I ever imagined in the books. I like this plan.

The tug boats all launching out of Tycho Station. The way the scaffolding melted in the wake of the Nauvoo's engines. This is neat!

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

yay go giant syringe!

e: Miller's a goddamn space ballerina. So graceful. *thud*

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Feb 16, 2017

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Platystemon posted:

I can’t think of anything that the show has covered that the first book didn’t, other than the character introductions you mentioned.

They've brought forward some character backstory stuff and foreshadowing that we didn't get until the fifth book. Nothing that's really changed the plot though.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Yeah, the executive producers seem to have a lot of respect for the source material. Even to the point that the authors help write the show.

SyFy wants to get away from the dreck they've been putting out over the last decade, and want to be taken seriously again as a network. So if that means that they try and go with the Game of Thrones model, then they're all for it.

Aside from the Magicians, are there any other big projects that SyFy is working on?

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Tape the button down, geez.

E: I figured something was going to go wrong at the very end, but I can't help but few ripped off that I didn't get to see the giant God needle skewer that rock.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Feb 16, 2017

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
That was a cool episode, lots of great moments in general.

So...are we being led to believe that the Protomolocule has, in some way, altered the orbit of Eros Station? I thought maybe it gained enough intelligence/sentience to realize it was on a collision course, but judging from previews for next week's episode, it looks like it's on a course for Earth maybe? (just preview stuff for the next episode)

Mental Hospitality posted:

Tape the button down, geez.

E: I figured something was going to go wrong at the very end, but I can't help but few ripped off that I didn't get to see the giant God needle skewer that rock.

I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume it doesn't quite work like that.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just popped in at the start to say Miller is a tactical genius!

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Gotta say, seeing the gold Angel Moroni flying towards an asteroid to save the day is... a really interesting image!

I was also struck early on when Miller was being shouted at by the Mormon, in his clean cut Mormon suit and tie, when the OPA guard with the face tattoo leaned into the frame... just how utterly out of place these people are.

And it makes sense. They might conceivably have the resources and the motivation. And it's not "lol, mormons, how silly." The Mormon mission is being presented as a legitimately beautiful thing. Fred Johnson had a few lines emphasizing that.

But Jesus, they look so out of place out here.

I love it.

Also, Miller and that kid are a great pair.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Miller's crack about not sending humans to another star was great.

Tom Jane is the work horse of the show.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

timp posted:

That was a cool episode, lots of great moments in general.

So...are we being led to believe that the Protomolocule has, in some way, altered the orbit of Eros Station? I thought maybe it gained enough intelligence/sentience to realize it was on a collision course, but judging from previews for next week's episode, it looks like it's on a course for Earth maybe? (just preview stuff for the next episode)

From how it was displayed I just assumed it started accelerating.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

MiddleOne posted:

From how it was displayed I just assumed it started accelerating.
The diagram was really interesting.

(I'm spoiling this 'cause I'm a dirty book reader erring on the side of caution, but I'm only pointing out what we saw in the show already without offering any explanation) The orbital path of Eros changed at a pretty sharp angle. It's veered inward, and doesn't appear to be on a circular orbit anymore. That would indeed take a (pretty massive) acceleration, but we were watching the whole time from Miller's perspective... and he wasn't jerked or slammed into anything. There were no signs of acceleration.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
I hope the Mormons get their ship back now.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Man, even though I've read the scene many times before, that last minute of tonight's episode owned so much.

"What the gently caress..."
"The Nauvoo didn't move, Eros did."

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The TV IV > The Expanse, Season 2: The Mormons are going to be pissed.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Was that ship really called the Marasmus?

"Marasmus is a form of severe malnutrition characterized by energy deficiency."

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
"Reporting for duty aboard the MRCN Herpes, sir!"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Sorry if this is too much embed, but there were so many beautiful scenes in this episode.

http://giant.gfycat.com/SatisfiedJitteryHammerheadshark.mp4
http://giant.gfycat.com/MiserlyNarrowBronco.mp4
http://giant.gfycat.com/WaryDimpledCowrie.mp4
http://giant.gfycat.com/FrigidSeriousHalibut.mp4
http://zippy.gfycat.com/TepidUnfoldedGull.mp4
http://giant.gfycat.com/NewBoilingKilldeer.mp4
http://giant.gfycat.com/AliveExhaustedHarvestmen.mp4

Here are 720p links to those and a few more. Bold are the ones not embedded above at 560p:
Tugs attach and fire
Nauvoo engine ignition
Nauvoo bow
Nauvoo pulls away from Tycho Station
Tugs return to Tycho
Diogo and Miller begin EVA
Diogo sticks the landing
Rocinante inspects dock
Nauvoo/Eros establishing shot
Navuoo misses

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Feb 16, 2017

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
I haven't read the books and I really thought our favorite former cat detective was going to die. The SFX in this episode were great though.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I am so glad the first season did well enough to warrant the second season's massive increase in budget. This episode was on part with episode 2 in terms of beautiful space scenery (though I doubt anything will beat the interior railgun zero G shots) and then some. This show is so freaking good right now.

Platystemon posted:

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The TV IV > The Expanse, Season 2: The Mormons are going to be pissed.
I actually paused the show once this was said because I was laughing so hard. Easily the best line in science fiction television in the last decade.
I do call slight bullshit on Miller having to stay there to hold the button down. I doubt the button is capacitive because it seems like over-engineering to ensure every space suit has capacitive fingers and he just took out a massive piece of sticky tape to put on his arm to plug a hole. I basically assumed the kid was going to make him think he'd have to stay there, then take out his patch, place it on the button, and they'd all have a laugh. Really, if he died there, I'd have been a bit miffed by that silly reasoning. More miffed because that character and actor are the best of show. That said, they did a fantastic job pacing up to that point because it really was set up in a very "yep, he's gonna die" kind of way, telegraphed the way it usually gets telegraphed. Good on the show runners, I was on the edge of my seat.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Feb 16, 2017

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

DaveKap posted:

I do call slight bullshit on Miller having to stay there to hold the button down. I doubt the button is capacitive because it seems like over-engineering to ensure every space suit has capacitive fingers and he just took out a massive piece of sticky tape to put on his arm to plug a hole.

He has a better reason in the book. IIRC, instead of one bomb being damaged, the entire countdown needs to be delayed, and that requires authorisation. The system is fail‐deadly by design: Fred Johnson didn’t want the whole thing to halted by some rear end in a top hat pirate trying to loot the place.

e: Okay, I misremembered. The dead‐man’s switch is set up by Naomi after Nauvoo misses.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Feb 16, 2017

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Two thoughts: God drat this show is stunning. Seriously top notch, I could see this stuff holding up for decades to come.

2nd thought: Should have packed all the Mormons on it first, then launched it into Eros.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I didn't even notice the engines of the Nauvoo causing the scaffolding to glow bright red and break apart when I watched this last night. What a nice little detail.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Holden had some major character development, putting down some more‐or‐less innocent people like dogs.

That kid was him once.

I didn't even notice the engines of the Nauvoo causing the scaffolding to glow bright red and break apart when I watched this last night. What a nice little detail.

Did you notice that one of the tugs spends too much time near the drive plumes and explodes? (third vid)

It makes a sound (in vacuum? :eyepop:), so there’s that cue.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Feb 16, 2017

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

The delivery on the last two lines were fantastic. You can tell that these guys are accustomed to spaceflight and the laws of physics and they literally can't comprehend what the gently caress just happened.

This show is great. One of my best friends is a set carpenter and spent an absolute ton of time working on the sets for S2. As a present to the crew, they got duffel bags with all the ship patches on them.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

From where I'm standing the CGI from this show has overtaken BSG both in terms of quality in the here and now, and a decade from now.

MA-Horus posted:

The delivery on the last two lines were fantastic. You can tell that these guys are accustomed to spaceflight and the laws of physics and they literally can't comprehend what the gently caress just happened.

This show is great. One of my best friends is a set carpenter and spent an absolute ton of time working on the sets for S2. As a present to the crew, they got duffel bags with all the ship patches on them.

You should get your friend to post some pictures and stories if he can, I always love hearing the inside take on shows like this. Hell, he got to work on the sets. Some of the best I've ever seen, right up there with Black Sails.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Right around here was the time that both Einstein and Newton clawed their way out of their graves and went "WHAT THE poo poo?!"

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Yup. It's why it's so shocking.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It's a shame they aren't including all the Eros transmissions.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
That swarm of thrusters would be even more mindblowing a few years ago when swarms of drones were not yet an established technology. Now it's 'cool, that's just like Lady Gaga's show the other day'

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
Seems like Miller would be the first to notice if the rock he was sitting on suddenly accelerated or changed course :raise:

Whatever, great episode, great show.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Dancer posted:

Bioinformatics is a legit thing, but "nanoinformatics" sounds like they just picked up some random-sounding prefix and stuck it there. It's the application of computational tools to... really small things :v: . That kinda happens a lot already, and will keep on happening. Xenobioinformatics might have worked. But yes, language is not necessarily always logical and unambiguous and it is

This is a Science Fiction show that takes place in the future.

Edit: So uh, that's awkward. They just gonna give the Nauvoo back then?

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Feb 16, 2017

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
So this show is awesome and the only thing I really look forward to on TV anymore.

Doctor Butts posted:

Edit: So uh, that's awkward. They just gonna give the Nauvoo back then?

It was a shakedown cruise, passed with flying colors. Congratulations Mormons!

<nervously tugs collar>

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
It looks more like Eros swung out of the way of the Nauvoo with Miller's location being the axis, which is why there wasn't any noticeable movement for him. That's my uneducated interpretation, at least.

Also

Platystemon posted:

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor

CeeJee posted:

That swarm of thrusters would be even more mindblowing a few years ago when swarms of drones were not yet an established technology. Now it's 'cool, that's just like Lady Gaga's show the other day'

The only tech thing that has bothered me so far is I have to believe by that point in the future phone/tablet tech will be better and Magic Leap-style holograms will be integrated into everyday life. (Although you do see bits of that here and there, like the Martian simulation and Miller explaining his crazy plan.)

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Johnson finally pulled off some real gravitas: stealing his client's ship is going to destroy his business, but so be it. He sees the hard choice and makes it with no hesitation.

Not sure if the addition of Erasmus was the greatest idea. Holden's character development got pushed forward when he killed a mostly innocent med team, but the stated reason for killing them immediately didn't make sense, as people were going to investigate anyway when the rock got redirected into the sun. The whole point of blasting the docks afaik was to make it very hard for anyone to land after matching course.

And there's plenty of protomolecule laying around, Protogen definitely kept around a stock of the stuff after their science team blasted off Eros.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Bates posted:

Seems like Miller would be the first to notice if the rock he was sitting on suddenly accelerated or changed course :raise:

Whatever, great episode, great show.

Having played Kerbal Space Program, it moving in a straight line is even crazier

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Kind of bummed that they cut the video feed stuff from Eros. Probably cut due to budget reasons. In the books, Eros isn't just spitting out an audio-feed but a video feed as well, which really plays up how hosed up the stuff that's going down on Eros is.

That said, it does maintain the mystery in the show and so far every time the show has made a big change from the books, I've largely agreed with the choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Platystemon posted:

<super pretty gifs>
drat, I really missed out by not watching this ep in HD, huh?

That said, I thought the stuff with the Nauvoo went on too long and was overly concerned with visual splendour than any tangible narrative weight, we got some concerned lines from the one Mormon who wasn't an extra and Fred's line, but...eh.

That said, Avasarala's scenes were fun enough and I really liked the second half of the episode, Holden's choice (Discount Jon Snow got to do some ACTING!) and Miller's situation and that final moment - were all very effective. Feel like season 2 has been getting better with each episode. (Also helps that we had no Martian Marine High School Drama this ep!)

I'd forgotten how exactly things went in the books so I was totally (BOOK 1/FUTURE EPISODE SPOILERS: ) thinking that was actually going to be the end of Miller right then and there with the bomb. So the Nauvoo missing totally got me again and I had a big grin on my face!

Was the stuff with the ship of French doctors totally new for the show? No recollection of it in the books. Also: do any armchair moralists in the thread think Holden did the wrong thing there, even with the information he had at the time?

VagueRant fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Feb 16, 2017

• Locked thread