Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yer Burnt posted:

Since this is where Planet Earth II chat goes, here is Hans Zimmer previewing his Coachella gig:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoHyuh0Ooro

This is good poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I like Santa Clarita Diet. It's pretty light-hearted and reminds me of the early seasons of Weeds but better. Plus I like Drew Berrymore and Timothy Olyphant.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Looten Plunder posted:

What are these bad Netlix shows? Whilst not everything is amazing, I'd recommend pretty much everything I've watched.

I don't know, that's kind of the problem.

What percentage of the avalanche of netflix originals have you actually watched is the better question?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

As Netlix starts to tip the percentages more into being an original content provider vs a licensed content provider it's inevitable that there will be a healthy amount of misfires. It's just the law of averages. Not everything is going to be good.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Looten Plunder posted:

What the gently caress was that finale of Santa Clarita Diet?

I'm not categorically against a cliffhanger to end a season but it wasn't even that good of a cliffhanger. Off the top of my head I can think of three better mid season cliffhangers.

Awful.

Yeah, it was a terrible brick wall of an ending. It was like what you do for a mid-season hiatus.

Looten Plunder posted:

What are these bad Netlix shows? Whilst not everything is amazing, I'd recommend pretty much everything I've watched.

There's at least a couple of Adam Sandler movies that have been Netflix exclusive, but if you mean strictly shows, my kids have watched a couple pretty awful series adaptations of Dreamworks movies that are on there.

raditts fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Feb 16, 2017

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

IRQ posted:

What percentage of the avalanche of netflix originals have you actually watched is the better question?

Just checked Wikipidia and there are 34 shows listed under the Drama, Comedy and Adult Animation categories. I've seen 19 of them. The only things I wouldn't recommend would be Marco Polo and Sense8 and even they aren't terrible. That's nearly a 90% hit rate for recommendations.

I haven't seen:

Hemlock Grove
Bloodline
Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life
The OA
Grace and Frankie
W/ Bob & David
Fuller House
Flaked
Netflix Presents: The Characters
The Ranch
Easy
Haters Back Off
Trailer Park Boys Out of the Park: Europe
One Day at a Time
F Is for Family

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I've seen the first season of Hemlock Grove. It's very bad. It's interesting, but bad.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Yer Burnt posted:

Since this is where Planet Earth II chat goes, here is Hans Zimmer previewing his Coachella gig:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoHyuh0Ooro

I want more!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Snak posted:

I've seen the first season of Hemlock Grove. It's very bad. It's interesting, but bad.

This is all you need to know about Hemlock Grove.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSzYGcPs_bo

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Oh yeah, Gilmore Girls was pretty bad. I don't think it really fits into the shovelware category though.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Looten Plunder posted:

Just checked Wikipidia and there are 34 shows listed under the Drama, Comedy and Adult Animation categories. I've seen 19 of them. The only things I wouldn't recommend would be Marco Polo and Sense8 and even they aren't terrible. That's nearly a 90% hit rate for recommendations.

I haven't seen:

Hemlock Grove
Bloodline
Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life
The OA
Grace and Frankie
W/ Bob & David
Fuller House
Flaked
Netflix Presents: The Characters
The Ranch
Easy
Haters Back Off
Trailer Park Boys Out of the Park: Europe
One Day at a Time
F Is for Family

Good news! Only w/ Bob and David and Easy are really worth watching out of those.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I watched 40 minutes of Bob/David and didn't laugh once

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I really enjoyed the first season of Bloodline when I finally watched it. Still haven't gotten to season two.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

X-O posted:

As Netlix starts to tip the percentages more into being an original content provider vs a licensed content provider it's inevitable that there will be a healthy amount of misfires. It's just the law of averages. Not everything is going to be good.

Aren't half of those "Netflix Originals" just non-US shows carried on Netflix because they're not on US cable?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think it's not even that Netflix is destined to make some bad shows eventually, it's just that some shows are made for people with different taste than the average close television watcher. Fuller House is a great example of that, as is The Ranch. I think both are straight garbage, but my coworker who watched Full House growing up loves Fuller House, and my coworker who loves Chuck Lorre shows likes The Ranch.

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, Bojack Horseman Stanger Things, and Jessica Jones are very much my poo poo, but I haven't made it more than a few episodes into OitNB, Daredevil, or Luke Cage. All of those shows are critical darlings.

Tastes are subjective and Netflix knows it. Sure, they have a few misfires (Hemlock Grove) but I think you'd be hard pressed to find a Netflix show that doesn't work for, at least, the incredibly specific demographic Netflix intended it for.

[Edit: can CBS please give up the ghost on making that new Star Trek show that's destined for failure and let Netflix have the rights instead? I need a new space opera show and I don't think Lost In Space is gonna scratch that itch]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Feb 16, 2017

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

BJPaskoff posted:

Aren't half of those "Netflix Originals" just non-US shows carried on Netflix because they're not on US cable?

Some of them are just licensed series that were originally made for other networks around the globe and some of them are actual full on co-productions like Travelers, and those for all intents and purposes are still Netflix Originals.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
I tried watching Easy but after finishing the 4th episode I was just put off by it.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I've only seen the three aired MCU series, Narcos, the first Season of Hemlock Grove, Sense8, and Stranger Things...and two episodes of The OA before I said gently caress this.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

X-O posted:

Also, Netflix is trying to produce content for, it seems like, every conceivable niche. Some of those niches encompass people with very lousy taste in television. And some of those shows that are agreed to be "bad" are judged so by people who are in no way the show's target audience, like how people savaged Fuller House.

I think their just greenlighting whole shows thing is inadvisable compared to Amazon's cool "pilot season" approach, though.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I actually hate Amazon's pilot thing. Just make a drat decision and go through with it. It worked for Goliath.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Spatula City posted:

I think their just greenlighting whole shows thing is inadvisable compared to Amazon's cool "pilot season" approach, though.

Keep in mind that Netflix is licensing content for exclusive first run distribution in a market. Amazon is actually producing content. So, their approaches should be different. Netflix is often times competing with other networks for shows so the full season grant is their linchpin to win the bid if it's close.

As long as their hit ratio is high enough that they don't lose subscribers, it's a good approach. So what if they get a flop? If it didn't drive anyone away, it wasn't harmful.

It's in Netflix's best interest to have content coming out continuously since their subscription model is month to month. As long as the next thing you are looking forward to is no more than 1-2 months away, you will keep your sub.

Amazon has a more captive audience. The buy in is usually annual and has other perks that keep people around. So, they don't have to be as frantic with their release schedule and are more measured where they spend their money.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

BJPaskoff posted:

I know that Pacific Heat is, but that's a show that's best left unmentioned

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Again, aside from a handful of instances, netflix doesn't produce any content.

The Marvel shows are produced by Marvel TV and ABC Studios. Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt is Universal. A Series of Unfortunate Events is Paramount TV.

The Man in the High Castle is Amazon Studios. Mozart in the Jungle is Amazon Studios. Red Oaks is Amazon Studios.

There's a distinct difference. In Netflix's case, someone else is funding the production of the show. Now, they are funding the production of the show with the understanding that Netflix's licensing deal will cover those costs, but Netflix is not directly creating content.

In Amazon's case, they a primary source of funds for production.

Now, this may sound like a trivial difference, but it can have some effects. For example, Amazon has more direct control over the budget of a show while Netflix doesn't necessarily get to have any say how much of the money they spent on licensing the show is actually used to make it.

Netflix: "I like your idea. Let me see more of it and if I like what I see I will want more of the thing you made and I'll pay you x dollars for y episodes for exclusive distribution rights."

Amazon: "I like your idea. Let's make something to show off to people. If they want to see more, we'll make more."

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Feb 16, 2017

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

From what I've read, Netflix pays upfront actually.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Mu Zeta posted:

I actually hate Amazon's pilot thing. Just make a drat decision and go through with it. It worked for Goliath.

The real alternative is make pilots and don't show them at all and don't let subscribers have any input on what gets picked up.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Feb 16, 2017

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Aphrodite posted:

From what I've read, Netflix pays upfront actually.

Yes, in many cases they pay upfront (one of the reasons why they win bids for shows). However, they still aren't directly funding the shows.

With Amazon, they have a budget for their show and that's the money that's spent on the show.

With Netflix, they pay ABC upfront for a new season of Daredevil. ABC then decides how much of that money is used on ninjas and how much of it is used on craft services for executive staff. Of course, if that relationship gets too out of whack and Netflix isn't happy with the product because of cut corners, that may cause them not to fund further seasons.

It also insulates netflix to a certain extent against things like budget overruns. If the special effects house used to make those ninja outfits that special shade of black goes bankrupt and doesn't finish the work on budget, that's ABC's problem to deal with and not Netflix. Now, ABC may ask netflix for more money next season to ensure those ninjas are portrayed to the correct level of stealthiness, but there's a negotiation that happens there.

Netflix is much closer to a regular network than Amazon. They just have a more frantic release schedule.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

X-O posted:

I really enjoyed the first season of Bloodline when I finally watched it. Still haven't gotten to season two.

Season 2 is even better.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
The Ranch would be in my list of 10 worst shows of all time. I only watched 2 episodes but they were really horrible episodes.

Hemlock Grove was okay. I didn't know it was a vampire/werewolf show or I wouldn't have watched it. I remember a lot of nudity.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Mu Zeta posted:

I actually hate Amazon's pilot thing. Just make a drat decision and go through with it.

This is the most easily solved problem in the world. Just don't watch the pilots but only the greenlit seasons. No point in whining about something you can easily pretend just doesn't exist.

Personally I love Amazon's approach, because it's exciting and gives us a look at some pilots that may not go to series but that we otherwise probably would never have been given acces to at all.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

But some of them look interesting and gets my hopes up. The Zombieland thing was so terrible though.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Gaunab posted:

I tried watching Easy but after finishing the 4th episode I was just put off by it.

Is that the Spanish one? Cause yeah, that one isn't great. My two favourite eps are 5/6, though.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

No it's the romance anthology series about millenials.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah but episode 4 is in Spanish

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

i only saw the first episode

does it stay good?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If you liked that one, you should enjoy most of the rest, I would think. 3/4/8 are the ones I'm less into, I would say.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

lelandjs posted:

I need a new space opera show and I don't think Lost In Space is gonna scratch that itch

Surely, you've watched/are watching The Expanse?

Harder than just regular space opera for sure, but it's definitely scratched the itch for me.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

lelandjs posted:

[Edit: can CBS please give up the ghost on making that new Star Trek show that's destined for failure and let Netflix have the rights instead? I need a new space opera show and I don't think Lost In Space is gonna scratch that itch]

Interesting. The LiS cast looks a million times better than the ST one, and it's supposed to have a huge budget as well. The producers don't have a great record, but without Bryan Fuller you could say the same for Trek's producers.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012

Escobarbarian posted:

Is that the Spanish one? Cause yeah, that one isn't great. My two favourite eps are 5/6, though.

Yeah that's the one. It felt like some story you'd find on and MRA subreddit.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Norwegian Rudo posted:

Interesting. The LiS cast looks a million times better than the ST one, and it's supposed to have a huge budget as well. The producers don't have a great record, but without Bryan Fuller you could say the same for Trek's producers.

Oh I meant they should scrap Discovery entirely and start a new show from scratch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRNyI6c6GUU

Time is cruel guys

• Locked thread