Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I'm OK with star gays but I feel like in a hundred years it'll probably just be another whatever who gives a poo poo thing considering apparently Chakotay had sex as a cyber lady and nobody cared. and yet they're gonna portray it as SCANDALOUS AND IN YOUR FACE I'm sure. They should make up some new sexuality only possible with future tech and have someone be that.

Like, in the expanse there's gay people and nobody mentions it or even notices it as anything out of the ordinary, which is in a way a hell of a lot more progressive than the overly hyped Gay Sulu from Beyond

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I can't believe Ensign Shandojang is a holosexual

naem
May 29, 2011

I feel like the way to have a gay character is to have a character who is gay. Like season 3 that character is in the background with their partner in some scene and "oh yeah they're gay" like, focus on every other aspect of that character as a real human (HOO-MON) being. And not make them KEVIN THE SPACE GAY WHO HAS ONE PERSONALITY TRAIT.

But what do I know I'm a dorky straight guy

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Is there any (non visual shorthand) reason why every changeling looks like Odo's clayman impersonation of a humanoid? I'd like to think they would have had the practice to not look like crap after the bazillion years they've lived or whatever.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Kalsco posted:

Is there any (non visual shorthand) reason why every changeling looks like Odo's clayman impersonation of a humanoid? I'd like to think they would have had the practice to not look like crap after the bazillion years they've lived or whatever.

Lady Founder does it to make Odo feel more comfortable. I dunno why she does it all the drat time though.

Edit: Does Lady Founder have a name?

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Kalsco posted:

Dr. Mora's hairstyle choices spread across all quadrants. The man knew personal grooming.

naem
May 29, 2011

I just had a vision of "the gay" wearing counselor Troy's purple jumpsuit for some reason (it's because I'm a bad person)

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Kalsco posted:

My interpretation was that it's less effort to only form the clay face, so that's as far as they go unless they have to impersonate someone.

Real reason: to not confuse the audience.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

naem posted:

I just had a vision of "the gay" wearing counselor Troy's purple jumpsuit for some reason (it's because I'm a bad person)

Ensign Ru Paulen reporting for duty

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

naem posted:

I feel like the way to have a gay character is to have a character who is gay. Like season 3 that character is in the background with their partner in some scene and "oh yeah they're gay" like, focus on every other aspect of that character as a real human (HOO-MON) being. And not make them KEVIN THE SPACE GAY WHO HAS ONE PERSONALITY TRAIT.

But what do I know I'm a dorky straight guy

Oh, so exactly like Battlestar Galactica did.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

corn in the bible posted:

That is the other thing to make not hate bajorans.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

crew gay, so what

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

At starfleet academy a gay wrote a very unflattering paper on me. Now his all-gay starship is challenging me to a game of baseball!!!!

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Ro Laren, from TNG?

Thing I just learned from googling that:

Memory Alpha posted:

During the production of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, it was intended that Ro Laren be the first officer of Deep Space 9's under Benjamin Sisko command. Michelle Forbes turned down the offer and the character was modified and became the basis for Kira Nerys.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Kira was a way more likeable and interesting character than Ro, I'm glad.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Ro was never presented as command material. That would have made no sense at all.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Kalsco posted:

The only changelings we see take on the form to either make Odo more comfortable or to impersonate him, like in the Adversary. The one exception to this rule is Laas, who while similar, based his appearance off of another species than Bajoran.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It's amazing to see the impossibly likable Martok playing such a horribly unlikable character.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Martok has the best elocution. I like the episode where Nog butts heads with him.

We will decide when it is time to leave.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

I can't believe Ensign Shandojang is a holosexual

An anime lover's dream come true. Literally.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

At starfleet academy a gay wrote a very unflattering paper on me. Now his all-gay starship is challenging me to a game of baseball!!!!

More like gayseball am I right

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

The General posted:

Ro was never presented as command material. That would have made no sense at all.

Plus having a non-star fleet bajoran as 2nd in command makes much more sense considering what Sisko went there to accomplish.

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh
Just watched RLM's review of Generations and it has some great cast interview excerpts that make it exceptionally clear that everyone involved knew the movie was garbage.

octobernight posted:

My girlfriend never saw any of the Star Trek series or older movies, but she absolutely loves the new movies. She watched Star Trek Beyond 3 times in 2 days. I've only watched NG and DS9, but not all of it. I finally convinced her to give DS9 a shot, and we watched the first two episodes last night. It was surprisingly good. I vaguely recall early DS9 as average, but they did a great job with the characters, including the super dorky Bashir. Even my girlfriend was interested, and she usually hates most media outside of the new Star Trek movies. It'll be fun to see how much she gets into DS9 once they get into the Dominion Arcs.

Also hilarious is how she will constantly talk about how much she dislikes Quark/all Cardasians because they are so ugly. First comment whenever Quark shows up on the screen. It'll be interesting to see if Quark/Garrak will grow on her.

I've met a few people who think Dukat is pretty hot even with the makeup. But Bajoran Dukat is the real Hot Dukat.

Sten Freak posted:

Overall I still think DS9 is a hard show to get into off the bat. I know some people like it after just a couple episodes but it took a few for us to be hooked in and that was with the knowledge that the show as a whole turned out to be great.

It has the strongest start of any Star Trek series excepting TOS. TNG, Voyager, and Enterprise had unwatchably bad first seasons and it took TNG and Enterprise two years to find their feet. Voyager never really did. Since DS9 is as good as early to mid-run TNG from the beginning it's called a "good start."

Let us English fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Feb 16, 2017

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLp_HJl-0nI

He's not even polite about it, he lays it all out cold and hard.

The followup's worth including though;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FW9PsxYVZjc

Garak is like a top 3 Star Trek character. He's wonderful and deep and complex. I still remember watching the episode when he goes berserk and starts taking people down on the other DS9 when it first aired and just loving it. I wish they hadn't stopped him from being "interested" in Bashir but LOL we can't have any queers in Star Trek son.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Alan_Shore posted:

Garak is like a top 3 Star Trek character. He's wonderful and deep and complex. I still remember watching the episode when he goes berserk and starts taking people down on the other DS9 when it first aired and just loving it. I wish they hadn't stopped him from being "interested" in Bashir but LOL we can't have any queers in Star Trek son.

Part of it is apparently Andrew Robinson started writing in-character diaries for Garak to help get in the right mindset for the role, and the writers started using them to form Garak's development in the show.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I tried reading that thing by Ron Moore about Voyager last night and that poo poo was just frustrating as gently caress.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Chakotay sneaks out of the house to go to the Kazon Pi Ogla frat party and gets date raped by Seska.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

I joined the Miles High Club and now I can't care less why this old dude thinks Janeway is his daughter.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

the real question is, how do you think they'll shoehorn brent spiner into the new tv show

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Course: Oblivion;

Voyager's fancy new Enhanced Warp Drive is causing the ship to fall apart at the molecular level except, whoops, it's actually replicant Voyager from the Demon Planet. I actually like this one, but the ending is a wet fart that could've been overcome by leaving a probe or something that wasn't a silver-blood duplicate for the real Voyager to find instead of "What's this weird silver cloud? Nevermind, let's just keep on going".

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Course: Oblivion;

Voyager's fancy new Enhanced Warp Drive is causing the ship to fall apart at the molecular level except, whoops, it's actually replicant Voyager from the Demon Planet. I actually like this one, but the ending is a wet fart that could've been overcome by leaving a probe or something that wasn't a silver-blood duplicate for the real Voyager to find instead of "What's this weird silver cloud? Nevermind, let's just keep on going".

The ending might not have been so bad if Voyager didn't always hit the reset button every episode. Like in a good show, it would have been a cruel twist of an ending.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Part of it is apparently Andrew Robinson started writing in-character diaries for Garak to help get in the right mindset for the role, and the writers started using them to form Garak's development in the show.

That's so cool. It's amazing how the best shows have an open dialogue with everyone on the crew and anyone can submit an idea. The writers on TNG were NOT allowed to go on set and talk to the actors. What the hell! The actors ARE the characters, they just might have some good ideas and insights into the character, maybe? Especially with the acting talent on Star Trek.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

Ugh, now it's the robot from the Queen album cover, guest starring on Voyage.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Meredith Baxter-Burnout posted:

The ending might not have been so bad if Voyager didn't always hit the reset button every episode. Like in a good show, it would have been a cruel twist of an ending.

An actual time capsule ending would've been a much better ending, especially when they set up the chekov's gun of non-Voyager items being unaffected. "We found this probe/device a few days/months ago, let's use it to store our logs and poo poo!"

Aside from the whole "How do we stop passing on that super-cool Enhanced Warp Drive to the real crew" thing.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

An actual time capsule ending would've been a much better ending, especially when they set up the chekov's gun of non-Voyager items being unaffected. "We found this probe/device a few days/months ago, let's use it to store our logs and poo poo!"

Aside from the whole "How do we stop passing on that super-cool Enhanced Warp Drive to the real crew" thing.

They try to duplicate it but BLT can't compensate for the capacitive quantum flux frequency variations no matter how much she rotates the tachyon particle array.

They cut 10 years off their trip but never try it again.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Meredith Baxter-Burnout posted:

They try to duplicate it but BLT can't compensate for the capacitive quantum flux frequency variations no matter how much she rotates the tachyon particle array.

They cut 10 years off their trip but never try it again.

Come to think of it, I think by season 5 they're down to being about 30 years at most from reaching Earth. Which is still pretty drat far, but all that intrigue and concern about eventually becoming a generational ship are just a straight non-issue at that point.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Gonna try to watch some voyager tonight. its 1154 and I need to sleep. I'm banking on voyager putting me down my midnight. Wish me luck.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Alan_Shore posted:

That's so cool. It's amazing how the best shows have an open dialogue with everyone on the crew and anyone can submit an idea. The writers on TNG were NOT allowed to go on set and talk to the actors. What the hell! The actors ARE the characters, they just might have some good ideas and insights into the character, maybe? Especially with the acting talent on Star Trek.

Are you sure that was a TNG thing? Or did it get more lax as the series went on? I seem to remember Sirtis saying the writers kept asking her what she wanted her character to do, and she regretted never having an answer, as Troi never had anything to do.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

Oh poo poo guys, it just happened to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

Am I high or didn't they use this Chakotay quote in promotions for Voyager to make it sound like he was excited about an upcoming episode?

quote:

CHAKOTAY: To be honest, it's almost frightening. Up till now, it's all been theory. I never thought it would actually happen. Are we ready for it?"