Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Roobanguy posted:

i have no idea how to punish nobuishi as a warden. i can't hit them with anything after a parry because they're to far away and then they just stab me.

Close distance. Once closed, the nobushi cant do anything against your attacks

Blocking and parrying a nobushi is usually pretty easy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Haroshia posted:

Dominion is my favorite game mode because I like fun.

I don't think the devs balanced the game around EHONOURE duels. There's a lot of tools a lot of the classes have that really don't come into play in those situations. The game, to me at least, feels like it's working the way it's supposed to when team poo poo is happening in Dominion.

I think it's kind of a mix. On one hand Dominion is definitely where the game shines because everything just comes together. On the other hand, the developers knew the classic fighting game crowd would flock to the 1v1 and 2v2 stuff so they tried to make every character reasonably balanced once you stripped away the toys.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Does the Warlord get a resurrect ability? :stare:

Because I fought one and just before I was about to kill him he goes down on his knees and does a prayer to loving odin or something, then he dies. THEN HE COMES BACK

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Zzulu posted:

Does the Warlord get a resurrect ability? :stare:

Because I fought one and just before I was about to kill him he goes down on his knees and does a prayer to loving odin or something, then he dies. THEN HE COMES BACK

Yup. It's one of the feats that you can unlock for him. It's a level four feat for a reason though.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Here's maybe my first successful 1 on 3, with a double revenge knockdown. Fun stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOYcLcuEgS0

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

Roobanguy posted:

i have no idea how to punish nobuishi as a warden. i can't hit them with anything after a parry because they're to far away and then they just stab me.

They're poor blockers and their swings tend to be a little sluggish. Be aggressive. Use a lot of quick attacks, with the occasional strong in there. The Warden's toolset isn't particularly apt at dealing with the nobushi if you're letting her play her game, but if you go berserk on her rear end she tends to get overwhelmed.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
I played for a few hours last night as the basic knight and got consistently owned by AI bots in duels. I am hoping to get better hang of it, but I was really frustrated for a bit. Dodge seems incredibly useful because I can't just sit and block all day.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.
Alright, I finally prestiged Shugoki. Probably did the demon's embrace a few too many times. Which hero do I try next? Who's broken?

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Blakkout posted:

Alright, I finally prestiged Shugoki. Probably did the demon's embrace a few too many times. Which hero do I try next? Who's broken?

Warden

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Dirk Pitt posted:

I played for a few hours last night as the basic knight and got consistently owned by AI bots in duels. I am hoping to get better hang of it, but I was really frustrated for a bit. Dodge seems incredibly useful because I can't just sit and block all day.

It is very frustrating at first, because there's a lot to learn about the combat system. Keep in mind some of the bots are pretty decent at duels as well depending on their level

Dodge is very useful, moreso for some classes than others... Parry is also very useful and of course guardbreaks. Study those well, grasshopper

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Blakkout posted:

The internet says Warden, Orochi and Warlord are the current most powerful classes

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Blakkout posted:

Alright, I finally prestiged Shugoki.

You know we just passed 24 hours since release right...?

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

Zzulu posted:

It is very frustrating at first, because there's a lot to learn about the combat system. Keep in mind some of the bots are pretty decent at duels as well depending on their level

Dodge is very useful, moreso for some classes than others... Parry is also very useful and of course guardbreaks. Study those well, grasshopper

Do I need to move my guard direction if the attack is coming from the direction I am already guarding? Also, with attacks, are we supposed to attack then change direction with right stick then attack etc? I feel like I am getting bogged down in attacks by just attacking without moving my right stick.

breaks
May 12, 2001

The assassin classes have a timed guard, you need to move it again after 2 seconds or whatever it is exactly in order to be able to guard. The other ones you can just leave it there.

Changing directions of attacks is a good idea. In low level play you can beat people just by attacking from a different direction each time. As you fight better players, they will do a better job of blocking attacks regardless of direction and then you need to start trying feints, guard breaks, mixups, or whatever your class has got.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

panda clue posted:

I think Elimination could be fun if you could A) turn off revives and B) turn off powerups. Right now though it is mostly a circlejerk that is decided by who is the first person to win their 1v1 so they can go grab all the powerup and help their team.

I don't have any problem with Dominion, but it isn't my preferred mode. And yes, I think literally everyone is in agreement that Skirmish is an abortion.

Yeah the powerups are totally dumb, agreed. Feels shoehorned in with little thought.

Evil Canadian posted:

Man I really really really wish tracking was better on a lot of moves, its the most frustrating thing in the world to fight people who do a lot of side dash attacks, 100% call the direction they are going for, and still not be able to get poo poo because it avoids it. Its not like you can guard break track it either cause since its an attack it won't work.

Bait the dash with a cancelled move and then hit them after they dash? IDK something like that

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

It doesn't take that long if you do lots of contract orders, they give oodles of XP.

But yeah.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Zaphod42 posted:

It doesn't take that long if you do lots of contract orders, they give oodles of XP.

But yeah.

I can't imagine not trying anyone else out in the first day, but to each his own.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i haven't played the game since Tuesday and I'm prestige one rank 10 on Lawbringer. it's pretty fast going.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

If you preordered you instantly get a week of VIP or whatever and it awards bonus xp. As long as you cap a few points and go 1:1 then you'll pretty much gain a level every 1 or 2 pvp dominion matches.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Zaphod42 posted:

Bait the dash with a cancelled move and then hit them after they dash? IDK something like that

I know the "correct" answer is to feint, then parry the dash attack but that's so much more work then just me knowing the direction they were gonna go in anyway and then get pooped on :( I feel unless you are specifically aiming to beat a horizontal attack with a dash-parry move, if you dash into the direction of the sword you should get bopped but oh well.

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.
If you ever can't connect to uPlay and you've done everything in your power to make sure there is a clean and easy connection to their servers; port forwarding, holes in your firewall, run as administrator, reinstall the game, reinstall the uPlay client, sticking your PC in your routers DMZ out of desperation, try turning off their janky, third-party, two factor authentication.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Hmmm I am really starting to enjoy beating the odds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgwZG8SdMHY

TheTromboner
Nov 12, 2008
Am I a bad person for only enjoying kensei and doing nothing but side dodge attacking people.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

TheTromboner posted:

Am I a bad person for only enjoying kensei and doing nothing but side dodge attacking people.

naw, remember too that the side attack counts as hit 1 for your chain leading into the unblockable top attack!

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Evil Canadian posted:

naw, remember too that the side attack counts as hit 1 for your chain leading into the unblockable top attack!

do not do this against a good warden though because he will punish the hell out of the unblockable.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I played against a Kensei that kicked my rear end. One of the tricks he pulled was chaining into the unblockable and instead of letting it go he canceled it instead and stabbed me in the sides.

breaks
May 12, 2001

You shouldn't ever really actually throw the unblockable unless you got a wall stun or something. The main advantage of starting it up is that you can cancel it into almost anything.

Though there is also a separate issue that you will rarely get to the point of being able to toss it out at all against anyone who can block worth a poo poo, unless you intentionally airball the first two swings, which has its own issues.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I am pretty sure the game gave me the story mode trophy instead of the win 20 dominion games trophy :/

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Roobanguy posted:

do not do this against a good warden though because he will punish the hell out of the unblockable.

Well yeah, if you don't do any of the feints. If the warden wants to do top light against the unblockable haha loving let him, then I get free armoured sidespin cancel and ill do 4x more damage to him than he does to me.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
The netcode in this game is great

The matchmaking is a tire fire. It was never this bad in the open beta, but jesus christ I don't remember the time 4v4 didn't drop me into a hopeless in progress match. I wish I could tell it to stop doing in progress matches at all, it's never worth it.

Mufasa Nigel
Jul 8, 2005

Is there a short video on getting the timing of guard break interrupt down to a T, because I cannot for the life of me pull it off consistently. The advanced practice where you have to do it 3 times honestly took me over 5 minutes. And obviously this is loving me over online.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

It might have already been asked but what's the campaign like? Me and a friend enjoyed the closed beta both against pubbies and AI and we love a good co-op campaign.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Luminaflare posted:

It might have already been asked but what's the campaign like? Me and a friend enjoyed the closed beta both against pubbies and AI and we love a good co-op campaign.

Its serviceable, not bad, but not gonna go down as an all time great. A lot of set pieces and killing hella people.

On a different note: I have been testing who gets what off a guardbreak and the BIG loser in this whole affair is the raider, its one of two classes that cannot get ANY kind of heavy attack of a guardbreak(or wallbounce with the throw). The other one is the peacekeeper but hey you still got the stabs.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I'm close to buying this but there's something I keep thinking about that holds me back. You guys let me know before that it's not some sort of super twitchy warp speed chess match fighting game kind of thing, but I keep noticing when someone does badly they're greeted with a 10+ second respawn rate. Even the respawn time in Overwatch really bothers me sometime. Will I have to take this 100% serious and get real good to not be completely frustrated? I'm thinking Dominion is going to be my main focus, as the directness and intensity of 1v1/2v2 turns me off. I want to run around, smack on AI, get in fights with other players, and at least not feel like every battle is the equivalent of FGs online.

I don't know why I'm so indecisive about this game. It sounds cool as poo poo but also a little scary!

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014
So I did the tutorial and after I finished it I was allowed to start the campaign, which begins with... the exact same tutorial all over? Haha what?

Kubrick
Jul 20, 2004

Can we put the class guides in the OP?

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Evil Canadian posted:

On a different note: I have been testing who gets what off a guardbreak and the BIG loser in this whole affair is the raider, its one of two classes that cannot get ANY kind of heavy attack of a guardbreak(or wallbounce with the throw). The other one is the peacekeeper but hey you still got the stabs.

Ok I gotta stop doing this to myself where I find out new poo poo literally after I post, but the raider unblockable is actually completely guaranteed after a guard break. It takes like 70% of your stam to do so but its more than a light attack anyway(but still less than most other peoples heavy attacks, naturally).

Evil Canadian fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Feb 16, 2017

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
fellow honorabu samurai, beautiful nordic vikings and grotesque unwashed tincans, which class do you think is the weakest in the game so far?

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Any class that isn't Warden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Warden is pretty dang good tbh. But no match against a viking airdrop

https://giant.gfycat.com/MadeupPotableEstuarinecrocodile.webm