Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I did ________ with goons

found the problem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Optional hardmode 4 mans dungeons with decent rewards seems like a possible thing, but I still don't think they'd rise to savage level difficulty. There aren't enough tryhards playing to justify resources towards that end.

I think savage dungeons would be fun, but I know that I'm among a small fraction of players that would actually do them.

The post-100 PotD floors were kind of supposed to be that. Unfortunately, that's not really the case because randomly generated can't compete with things that had actual design thought put into their encounter compositions. Also, it's a miserable slog to reach the point where it gets challenging (around floor 170 is where it really starts) and the punishment for a single failure is downright sadistic since it boots you all the way back to floor 50 to start again.

I still want to hit floor 200, if my fixed party can get our act together on schedules! We're apparently scattered all over the globe, I don't think any two of us share a time zone.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
For every tryhard who wants hard content there are 5 people that want to chill and play dressup and maybe do a relaxing dungeon or raid.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

SL the Pyro posted:

Today I saw Fister Roboto's avatar while thinking about my Snowman Head and had an epiphany.

Credit to friendo who helped me make this.

The Mark of Belzac is no laughing matter, friend.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

Obligatum VII posted:

The post-100 PotD floors were kind of supposed to be that. Unfortunately, that's not really the case because randomly generated can't compete with things that had actual design thought put into their encounter compositions. Also, it's a miserable slog to reach the point where it gets challenging (around floor 170 is where it really starts) and the punishment for a single failure is downright sadistic since it boots you all the way back to floor 50 to start again.

I still want to hit floor 200, if my fixed party can get our act together on schedules! We're apparently scattered all over the globe, I don't think any two of us share a time zone.

If they'd make it so you could at least start at 101 i think a lot more people would do the upper floors of POTD. 51 is just so punishing

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

OK I'm calling it now before Fanfest starts.

Blue mage as a healer.

Samurai as a tank for a "surprise" third class.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Gally posted:

If they'd make it so you could at least start at 101 i think a lot more people would do the upper floors of POTD. 51 is just so punishing

It really does kill me that matched parties can't start from floor 101 if they've all cleared 100.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

Blue mage as a healer.

Didn't blue mages pick up spells from enemies or whatever? How would you work that into an MMO style game even?

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

I do agree that some sort of intermediate not-all-the-way-back-to-51 checkpoint for failure (whether it's 101, or the most recent of 101 and 151, or just 10 or 20 or 30 or some other fixed number of floors behind where you were) would work wonders for getting people to run deep PotD.

Make the leaderboards continue to require 0-wipe runs, so people whose e-peens need that validation of being extra awesome can still feel justifiably special. I legitimately don't think that many of the people still thinking about deep PotD now, give too many shits about the leaderboard. (If they did, they'd be talking about going back to floor 1 after all, for more points, but everyone says back to 51 which is pretty telling.)

But otherwise it's less about being good (though that's certainly part, especially the "adaptability" part of being good) and more about being stubborn and somewhat lucky. The difficulty of the 180s trash floors in particular can vary a lot depending on what RNG thinks of you that day. They can be totally uneventful (or maybe a single token Chimera Hell easily handled with one rage), or you can have multiple floors of Chimera Hell, burn through all your rage and witching, find nothing but mimics in your increasingly desperate search for replacements, and then get another Chimera Hell.

Vil fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Feb 16, 2017

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

Blue mage as a healer.

I'll call it too:

SAM as DPS, and if a third class is announced........

BLU as tank.

You read that right.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

orange juche posted:

Didn't blue mages pick up spells from enemies or whatever? How would you work that into an MMO style game even?

All the job quests are "go out and fight this enemy that uses this skill" and then you're awarded the ability for completing the quest.

Blue mage is the one I'm 99% sure of, because it's the only way the spider man shirt makes sense. Peter Parker was bitten by a spider and gained its power.

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*
Blue Mage is my favorite FF class so I'd be overjoyed to see it in FFXIV, but I have no idea how they'd fit it into the game as it is currently. Blue Magic was always a mix of damage, healing, and support spells, acquired by having enemy monsters cast them on you. Doesn't seem to fit FFXIV's traditional MMO holy trinity Tank/Heals/DPS framework.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

It'll be based on the spirit of the class, not following 100% how it was done elsewhere. Red Mage doesn't look like it's going to be a jack of all trades either for example, but we'll find out in just two more days.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

You could say the exact same thing about red mage, but they're still making that work. There are a lot of other classes that don't function exactly the same as their single player counterparts. Black mages don't exploit elemental weaknesses. Bards' songs are more of a secondary feature rather than their raison d'etre. Summoners do most of their damage through DOTs rather than massive summoning spells. Dragoons don't remove themselves from combat for an extended period of time when they jump (except when they die lol).

If blue mage is real, it's going to have whatever mechanics work within this game, but with blue mage flavor.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Well, after 3-4 days of effort and burning through about a hundred leve allowances, I got Botanist and Miner to level 50. Time to figure out all this collectable junk. Any advice on taking these from 50-60?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Well, after 3-4 days of effort and burning through about a hundred leve allowances, I got Botanist and Miner to level 50. Time to figure out all this collectable junk. Any advice on taking these from 50-60?

Let your leves accumulate again because you're going to need a fair amount of them to get them to 60. What I would honestly recommend for poo poo to do while rebuilding your leves is to level FSH, doubly so if you are a catte. Fishercatte is best catte.

Note, while FSH does gather stuff that is important for crafting, and does have the chance to fish up stuff that is valuable, it does have a good bit of RNG and a hell of a lot more waiting built in. Don't level FSH unless you are cool with (at higher levels) waiting for multiple Eorzean days for conditions to be right to catch a particular fish.

I do believe they have added LV50 3 star collectable turn ins that can be ground for small amounts of XP if you need help getting to 52 and your first gathering mainhand upgrade. They are not time-restricted like the other gathering collectables are.

E: http://www.ffxivguild.com/ff14-botany-botanist-leveling-guide-a-realm-reborn/4/

This guide may be of dubious accuracy, because it was written at 3.0, but it explains the basics of the collectible system, and the rotations work quite well.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Feb 16, 2017

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Alcohol, podcasts and video streaming services.

But yeah, collectables will help a lot definitely look into doing them. They'll be a bit confusing at first, but it's well worth it.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Back when I did it, I basically (very slowly) spammed Old World Fig and Yellow Copper Ore collectibles without bothering with any gear upgrades, leves, or anything else that would've sped up the process. It worked, certainly, but also almost certainly took far far longer than it needed to.

Regardless, I'd look at the collectibles list to see what's even being accepted, gather those as collectibles, and turn them in to get started.

In the meantime, your leves will regenerate, and you can be less lazy than I was about a. gearing up and b. trying other options (leves, other collectibles, even straight-up direct gathering of Actually Useful poo poo) to see what works best for you for levels.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

GC Turn in's are also pretty huge on XP.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Someone told me collectables were better than leves for leveling, but maybe not as fast I guess? I was kinda hoping to let the leves regen for leveling (a) crafting job(s).

[edit] And yeah, Gear was a bit of a concern, figure there was no sense paying for good poo poo until level 60. Though its not like I CAN pay for good poo poo, I've only got a bit under 2mil. :v:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Collectibles are basically a bunch of XP every half hour for almost no work if you know what you're doing. The proest of tips for them is that you should always go for quantity over quality.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah. I'd already stumbled into collecting a couple each of old world figs and yellow copper. 60k a pop wasn't too bad.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Someone told me collectables were better than leves for leveling, but maybe not as fast I guess? I was kinda hoping to let the leves regen for leveling (a) crafting job(s).

[edit] And yeah, Gear was a bit of a concern, figure there was no sense paying for good poo poo until level 60. Though its not like I CAN pay for good poo poo, I've only got a bit under 2mil. :v:

Get or have someone craft the level 51 general gathering set for you, meld it out with +3 Perception or +3 Gathering all the way down the left side (NO OVERMELDS). Use that until 55. At 55, have someone craft you a HQ set of Dhalmelskin gathering gear, and then do the same thing with melding, (I went with +4 Gathering and Perception for this set), that should have you comfortably geared to blow all the way to 60. No other gear upgrades are needed, other than maybe tossing out a couple thousand gil for an HQ offhand at 55 or whatever, if you feel like it, the NQ mainhand should be good enough.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Feb 16, 2017

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

The 51 set? Is that the same one you can get from the moogles (mythrite/Archaeoskin)? How DO you unlock the moogle beatsman quests? I heard they were DoL/DoH centric, do you need a high level crafting job? Or is it some of the generic quests I've ignored need to be done first? Just looked it up, you gotta do a LOT of quests.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Feb 16, 2017

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Fister Roboto posted:

You could say the exact same thing about red mage, but they're still making that work. There are a lot of other classes that don't function exactly the same as their single player counterparts. Black mages don't exploit elemental weaknesses. Bards' songs are more of a secondary feature rather than their raison d'etre. Summoners do most of their damage through DOTs rather than massive summoning spells. Dragoons don't remove themselves from combat for an extended period of time when they jump (except when they die lol).

If blue mage is real, it's going to have whatever mechanics work within this game, but with blue mage flavor.

Agreed but blue mage's traditional abilities fit much better in a tank role than a healer. Goblin Punch is much more of a Heavy Swing than a Stone 3, Bad Breath more of a Circle of Scorn than an Aero 3. Also, it being a tank is much easier to justify than it being a healer in-lore; you have to make the monsters want to hit you to learn their abilities.

Also, who would make the color mages that have an opportunity to match with their role color NOT do so?

It's not coming in Stormblood either way; class updates from now on will be done in a roughly even manner because it's obvious that Red Mage is Intelligence and Samurai is Strength. They aren't going to add a fourth tank (likely an OT-focused Warrior type) before they add a fourth healer to go with it (likewise, a shield-based Scholar type, Green Mage by my earlier logic). I'm not sure anything has changed since 3.1 when Yoshi-P said that having to balance three jobs ruined Heavensward's development schedule.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

For leveling crafting I'd suggest using the Ixal beast tribe quests until 50, and then moogles, as well as the GC turn ins of course, the vast majority of which can just be bought from vendors. Don't forget to use the Commercial Survival Manuals while fishing as well.

Sadly Moogles are only DoH and you unlock them when you have a crafter at 50, but also after having done all the previous Moogle sidequests.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

orange juche posted:

Let your leves accumulate again because you're going to need a fair amount of them to get them to 60. What I would honestly recommend for poo poo to do while rebuilding your leves is to level FSH, doubly so if you are a catte. Fishercatte is best catte.

Note, while FSH does gather stuff that is important for crafting, and does have the chance to fish up stuff that is valuable, it does have a good bit of RNG and a hell of a lot more waiting built in. Don't level FSH unless you are cool with (at higher levels) waiting for multiple Eorzean days for conditions to be right to catch a particular fish.

I do believe they have added LV50 3 star collectable turn ins that can be ground for small amounts of XP if you need help getting to 52 and your first gathering mainhand upgrade. They are not time-restricted like the other gathering collectables are.

E: http://www.ffxivguild.com/ff14-botany-botanist-leveling-guide-a-realm-reborn/4/

This guide may be of dubious accuracy, because it was written at 3.0, but it explains the basics of the collectible system, and the rotations work quite well.

I just dinged 60 botanist the other day using this guide and it worked fine. I basically collected and did some grinding in between. Once I got to blue scrips I just collected those. Didn't really take long and I had enough scrips for one folklore book and a couple pieces of 60 scrip gear.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

it's the only way the spider man shirt makes sense.

Sam Raimi -> samurai, in case you weren't trolling.

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*

Lemon-Lime posted:

Didn't this get refuted?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Both have made compelling arguments either way. We'll loving know for reals tomorrow.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Mischalaniouse posted:

Didn't this get refuted?

how would it get refuted?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Both have made compelling arguments either way. We'll loving know for reals tomorrow.

Anything is valid until the actual reveal.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Lemon-Lime posted:

That's such a stretch it's ridiculous, especially considering all the other t-shirt hints in the past.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Give me my goddamn FFT-based Samurai job.

Fister Roboto posted:

Monks don't OHKO bosses at max level either.

Game balance. :argh:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Wasn't there some datamining that suggested samurai, which has been why everyone has assumed it would be the second new class?

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

Wasn't there some datamining that suggested samurai, which has been why everyone has assumed it would be the second new class?

Videos Labelled RDM and SAM in the Game files I think?

Also truly it would be out of place for the hint from a Japanese Dev with the FFXIV localisation team to be a really dumb bit of wordplay

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
yeah one of the classes is pretty certainly samurai, it seems unlikely they'd add actual class assets just for an npc

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The tease shirt was actually Toei Spiderman, and its for a class where you become Brute Justice's new pilot.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
....Titanfall pilots in Eorzea?

Joking aside, data strings referring to RDM and SAM were mined when 3.5 launched, hence why most people have concluded that it is, in fact, SAM.

Could entirely be misdirection, but again, we'll know for sure tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

homeless snail posted:

The tease shirt was actually Toei Spiderman, and its for a class where you become Brute Justice's new pilot.

New class Golightger.

Gorayger?

• Locked thread