Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

A solitary cargo ship loaded with 1,500 troops just sails into Rabaul harbour. Why the world will never know.

This is their air support apparently! My carriers are in the south, and they have somehow snuck behind us!

One ship is hit in the afternoon.

Bettys raid Noumea

Double kill!

The carriers find fresh targets.

We pile on the hits.

Shame their not loaded with troops!

Like this one!

We pick off their support ships.

Then go after the larger ships.

This is not a good month for the Allied navies! I will sally every ship I can from Rabaul to try and get that carrier!

They all sink down there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Shipping out of Pearl is still dangerous!

That's right, attack the place with defences.

No reinforcements for you!

The slaughter continues.

Every damage destroyer makes my subs safer.

Dammit, our sweeps missed her.

Stupid level bombers.

We continue to do damage, but can I get that carrier?

A poor day.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
DD Buchanan, thought sunk, revealed, sunk for good.

Also, possible :rip: for goatface

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I'm assuming that PG Moresby is HMAS Moresby...

Holy poo poo three torpedo hits?

:stonklol:

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Jesus Christ, those Allied shipping losses are horrific. I know they have functionally infinite capacity once the US starts making GBS threads out a billion Liberty ships but still, the past few days have got to hurt.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Also, possible :rip: for goatface

Two hits from 250kg bombs on a boat that size? I'd call her gone.

edit - Assuming they were 250s. 50s would be bad enough though.

goatface fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Feb 12, 2017

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Grey Hunter posted:

solitary cargo ship loaded with 1,500 troops just sails into Rabaul harbour. Why the world will never know.

Cmon Grey, it's "the world wonders"

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

IRL Maridal appears to have been a 9.800 ton tanker and and not a 6.100 ton cargo ship. A rare oversight by the games naval team, or they only found the name and not the M/T designation or actual tonnage.

She survived the war and was broken for scrap in 1955.

http://skipshistorie.net/Oslo/OSL365MoltzauChristensen/Tekster/OSL36519340100000%20MARIDAL.htm

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Caconym posted:

IRL Maridal appears to have been a 9.800 ton tanker and and not a 6.100 ton cargo ship. A rare oversight by the games naval team, or they only found the name and not the M/T designation or actual tonnage.

She survived the war and was broken for scrap in 1955.

http://skipshistorie.net/Oslo/OSL365MoltzauChristensen/Tekster/OSL36519340100000%20MARIDAL.htm

Tonnage Dead Weight and Gross Registered Tonnage are different, the former represents how much the ship can (safely) carry, the latter represents the internal volume of the ship.

NRT, or Net Registered Tonnage, is the internal volume of the cargo space only.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deadweight_tonnage

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Net_tonnage

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gross_register_tonnage

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Correct me if I'm wrong i'm probably wrong , but I remember reading in the previous Allied LP thread that the one limiting factor of the Allies was that there simply weren't that many British/ANZAC/US troops with which to conduct invasions. Is it possible for the Allied Player to run out of decent/non-Chinese troops with which to conduct invasions?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
So does the AI just get really stuck on an idea and just keep going for it?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

A White Guy posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong i'm probably wrong , but I remember reading in the previous Allied LP thread that the one limiting factor of the Allies was that there simply weren't that many British/ANZAC/US troops with which to conduct invasions. Is it possible for the Allied Player to run out of decent/non-Chinese troops with which to conduct invasions?

If you exclude anything the US, Chinese, and Soviets get, they rest of the Allies have 10 units with 400+ AV. Almost all of these arrive in mid-late 1945, and either in Aden or Vancouver. One of these is static, one is armoured, the rest are infantry.

The next 12 are between 200 and 400 AV, and arrive in a variety of locations, although half or more in 1945. 3 of them are armoured, one is static, the rest are infantry.

Taking Madras and Sydney severely disrupts the Allied units that could come in as reinforcements, since a unit that arrives at a location when it is not controlled by that unit's owner is delayed indefinitely if the other cities named below are also captured.

The reinforcement locations are as follows:

Japan - Tokyo, Osaka/Kyoto
China - Chungking, Chengtu
Britain - United Kingdom (includes Commonwealth and French forces)
India - Bombay, Karachi
Canada - Canada
Dutch - Tjilitjap, Soerabaja
Philippines - Manila, Cagayan
Australia - Sydney, Melbourne
New Zealand - Auckland, Christchurch
Soviet Union - Krasnoyarsk, Soviet Union
United States - Eastern USA (includes any other nationality not listed)

So to prevent any reinforcements for India, for example, you'd have to capture its original location + Bombay and Karachi.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mooseontheloose posted:

So does the AI just get really stuck on an idea and just keep going for it?

Pretty much yeah. The other problem is that the AI doesn't always wait to accumulate forces, so not only will it beat its head against the same target over and over once it fails to take it directly, it will keep sending forces in penny-packets.

It can still be really challenging for a Japanese player regardless because you have so few heavy-ship reinforcements, such that even if the AI only sent one Essex carrier group against you at a time, it's still a roll of the die that the Akagi or whatever doesn't get sunk every time there's an engagement, and you have to survive that more than a dozen times.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

It looks like the enemy fighters have rebased to Efate.

This costs us a lot of planes.

The swath of death continues to be cut.

Hankow rumbles back into life.

The enemy in Tsuyung can't even hold out for a day.

We take more of China, but so many planes were lost today. I don't even have any sunk enemy ships to make it feel better – but the reinforcements for New Caledonia are landing, another division of troops should swing things.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
Owww, that was a lot of bombers lost. To be fair, though, given the slaughterhouse on merchant shipping you've run over the last two days, a dry day today isn't that bad.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
The road to China is almost completely in Grey's hands now.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

The road to China is almost completely in Grey's hands now.

Does taking Paoshan open up a continuous path from Korea to Mandalay, or are there some parts of the chain that don't have railways, roads, or trails?

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Sounds like Efate airfield is ripe for some BB and CA-shells.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

RZApublican posted:

Does taking Paoshan open up a continuous path from Korea to Mandalay, or are there some parts of the chain that don't have railways, roads, or trails?

I have the shittier old map so its harder to discern but there is definitely a connection from Korea to Mandalay. Paoshan is the last base leading into Burma, which Grey should already have.

That's about 500 free supplies (according to the manual) that Grey has cut off, in addition to whatever might have been getting trucked/moved through there.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
Any chance that the troops in Yunnan can swing north into Sichuan and help take out Chungking? That'd really crush the Chinese defence and free up so much forces for other uses.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Another ship commits suicide by sailing into Rabaul.

We take out a Liberator – always something to be happy about!

The enemy fighters continue to cause us some serious losses.

Another day of death at Hankow.

A pretty standard day of death and destruction.

We lose a ship – most likely to old wounds.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Capacity: Troops: 1,304; Cargo: 140,000 cu ft, 2,300 tons

Honours and awards: Five battle stars for World War II service, seven for the Korean War and three for the Vietnam War

Good kill imo

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
Looks like the reinforcements are at Koumac. Hope they're enough to finish the job at Noumea

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Ohhh, an LST. That's a nice kill.

We have a very quiet morning now the carriers are heading back for fuel.

It all goes very quiet.

LST's – not worth much.

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Feb 15, 2017

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

Grey Hunter posted:

LST's – not worth much.

Not even a picture.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

terrenblade posted:

Not even a picture.

fixed!

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

It's not worth a lot of points, but is it worth anything strategically? I mean, I'd assume LST's are relatively rare but then, y'know, ~American Industry~

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Hint: that's #447 (of more than 1000).

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

They're small and slow, but their utility is that they always unload all cargo in one day when doing amphibious landings.

On atolls with their auto shock attack and against heavy coastal defense that immediate unloading is very valuable.

But the allies get a lot of them.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

PittTheElder posted:

Hint: that's #447 (of more than 1000).

Quite a few LSTs are off in Europe, preparing for the invasion of Italy right now, so that only leaves a triple digit number of LSTs in the Pacific to be worried about. I'm sure its fine.

Landing Boats in particular are kind of interesting because of the rampant corruption that went into building them, how useful they ended up being, and how Allied commanders horse-traded them with furious vigor for operations. Lack of LSTs definitely broke the back of at least one campaign (Churchill's second failed expedition to the Aegean Sea), and definitely made several campaigns not happen at all (Operation Anvil almost numbering amongst them).

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
386 LS* ships come in as reinforcements, the allies start with none.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I'm having another go at a CYOA, this time, I'm stealing rules and not trying to start one when my baby has a four month sleep regression due. (he's just come out of the 9 month one, so we should be good!)

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

How on earth do you have time for all of these things :psyduck:

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Self control and habits are proven to be far more important to longitudinal quality of life outcomes than other biological factors (including IQ) in studies by a very wide margin (being born rich was not included though...).

Which is my way of saying that Grey is frighteningly self controlled and habitually organized, in the impressed meaning of the phrase.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Feb 16, 2017

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

careful managing of my life. its harder now, but that just makes it more of a challenge!

currently I get 1-2 hours in a morning, and 30-45 mins an afternoon. I do batches of WITP updates to keep about a week ahead. 30YW is done every few days. They youtube videos are done when I feel like it - CKII has a good buffer as I was sick for two days and spent a bit of time recording.

The RPG's are planned during dead times in tests at work, and are my evening slots at the weekend. the CYOA will be written at random times when I have a few mins spare.

It should be said I was up at 3:50 this morning, spent 45 mins painting, half and hour doing the art and final polish for the CYOA then half an hour of Total Warhammer before the undead and elves launched a two prong attack and took five towns in two turns, pretty much ending the campaign. The boy will go to bed at 5:00, we will have dinner on so I'll get have my 30-45 mins time on a new 30YW update then a 6:00 I'll go watch TV until bed at 9:00pm. (then wake at some ungodly hour for a bottle.)

If this scares you. My wife is more organized than I am.

Basically you slackers have no excuse for not doing something awesome.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

I wish I had this thing called self control in long-term tasks. Settling for improving organization and channeling my obsessions.
It'd be fun to run a video LP of UFO Enemy Unknown, but one where I get 95% of all soldiers killed.

What programs does the LP Overlord watch on TV for three hours?

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Feb 16, 2017

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

All the DC and Marvel series, Walking dead, Game of Thrones, I'm catching up on Dexter, Vikings, Ripper Street and Breaking bad. Then some other things the wife likes more than me - Death in Paradise, Supernatural and stuff like that.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Grey Hunter posted:

The RPG's are planned during dead times in tests at work, and are my evening slots at the weekend. the CYOA will be written at random times when I have a few mins spare.

Probably shouldn't ask here, but is the Trail of Cthulhu CYOA permanently dead, or just ...not dead, but dreaming? :cthulhu:

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

hmm, good point. I should look at where I was up to....

EDIT - the thread is archived, but feel free to bring lovecraftian horrors to the new world! even terrifying monsters need new lands to enslave!

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Feb 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

The Liberator war continues.

This is the quiet after the storm of sunken ships.