Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

How do I kill Armorer Dennis as a sorcerer? I just want to go into the Iron Keep, what's his problem

You can spawn camp and backstab him as he appears, then just stun lock him with a fast weapon.

Another good tactic is to hang by the stairs - you can drop down and a lot of his spells will go over your head, and the pathing the AI takes to get down the stairs can sometimes net you a free backstab.

Have fun with Sharron!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

How do I kill Armorer Dennis as a sorcerer? I just want to go into the Iron Keep, what's his problem

Makes him chase you back to the bonfire, then Up+R1 him into the lava behind it :getin:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

monny posted:

I got to throne watcher/defender the other day, realised I'd stopped enjoying the game tens of hours ago, and uninstalled that poo poo pronto. Felt good :frogc00l:

Throne watcher/defender is like the one good boss fight between the end and uhhhhhhhh maybe velstadt?

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Giant Isopod posted:

Have fun with Sharron!

Got them both, and the Old Iron King

sharron and dennis were much tougher

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

StashAugustine posted:

Throne watcher/defender is like the one good boss fight between the end and uhhhhhhhh maybe velstadt?

Watcher / defender is kinda garbage tho.

The dlc bosses are cool and good, most of the rest of the ds2 bosses are kinda weak.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I had the misfortune of going against the Watchers, Shandra and then Aldria in quick succession. :stonk:

Anyway, a little late but I beat the Burnt Ivory King and man I loved that entire sequence. The transition as you drop down with all four knights alongside you was absolutely amazing, and completely unlike anything else in the franchise. :allears:

Then I went and watched Happy Souls again, because that cracks me up like an idiot each time.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Happy Souls is pretty much all of the memorable experiences, good and bad, of Dark Souls as a series.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
WHY DOES EVERYONE KEEP STABBING ME IN THE BACK. :byodood:

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

When is the ideal time to do the DLC? After finishing the main game?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

^burtle posted:

When is the ideal time to do the DLC? After finishing the main game?

Somewhere beginning around level 100. Try going into one of them and hitting your head against the first couple of basic enemies. If you kill them in a reasonable number of hits and they don't kill you, proceed.

I usually go in somewhere around the time of shrine of amana / undead crypt.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Amppelix posted:

I usually go in somewhere around the time of shrine of amana / undead crypt.

Yeah, if you can handle those areas you should be ready to start poking into the DLC.

From a thematic point I like to start them when I get the Ashen Heart and have spoken with Vendrick.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

What's a good order to do the DLC in? All I have left in the main game is Vendrick and the end of Drangleic Castle, so I'd like to get my hands on those crowns.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Sunken > Iron > Burnt, although they're reasonably even outside of the optional side areas.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I usually do burnt, then iron then sunken so I end with the DLC I like the most.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I think the Burnt Ivory King's final boss fight should be left for last at least. It feels like a much more impressive capstone given the set piece involved.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

poptart_fairy posted:

Sunken > Iron > Burnt, although they're reasonably even outside of the optional side areas.

Yeah that's the order of difficulty too I'd say, but the other main consideration would be if there's a DLC weapon you're keen to use like the fume ultra great sword, loyce greatsword or yorgh's spear, maybe do the appropriate one first so you can then enjoy using it.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
I would suggest dipping in and out of the DLC's, I like playing them in parallel. The stories are not directly linked but have some overlap through themes and characters.

I would definitely suggest not doing the optional areas designed for co-op, they suck major balls (you'll notice what they are when you suddenly hit a massive difficulty spike with uninspired enemy placement and such); and save the boss of the Ivory King for last as it's the most loving metal thing in all of souls.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

So even though I just played through DS2 and am busy working on DS3, I'm thinking about checking out the Return to Drangleic event since a friend will be playing.

How viable are caster builds for soloing / general playthroughs? I've heard they're a thing you can do, but I've basically never touched magic outside of a few pyromancies in DS1. It seems like they'd be really hard in the early game when your casts are super limited and little in the way of weapons that scale off int or faith.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Oxyclean posted:

So even though I just played through DS2 and am busy working on DS3, I'm thinking about checking out the Return to Drangleic event since a friend will be playing.

How viable are caster builds for soloing / general playthroughs? I've heard they're a thing you can do, but I've basically never touched magic outside of a few pyromancies in DS1. It seems like they'd be really hard in the early game when your casts are super limited and little in the way of weapons that scale off int or faith.

Casters aren't insanely strong like DS1, but they're completely viable and pretty versatile. Trying to get a pure sorcerer started in DS2 is nowhere near as frustrating as in DS3 for example. The best way to go is probably start sorcerer and spec into FTH later for pyro/hexes. Offensive miracles are mostly pretty bad compared to any other magic school so cleric is a bit crappy, though you do get the mace which can easily carry you any spell merchant you like. Once Felkin will talk to you and you can get dark orb you can spam your way merrily through to the endgame. The DLCs will give a pure caster a bit of a trouble though.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

I've been playing as a mostly pure caster (I respecced to play with the Moonlight Greatsword and heavier gear), and it's absolutely viable for the vanilla game. Lots of endgame bosses fold like wet paper bags as long as you know how to dodge and nuke.

My trip down to the Sunken King has been a bit harder though

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Speaking of the vanilla game, I am surprised just how many bosses there are. I just cleared the Magnus and it still feels like I'm maybe halfway through.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

So, uh, people really weren't kidding about the Fume Knight

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
I've just started getting into Souls games recently because I got a used copy of DS2 for like 5 bucks. I flailed around constantly getting owned by hollow soldiers for about two hours but I'm starting to get a better handle on combat. Then I walked into that crossbow trap with like four enemies near it somewhere after Cardinal Tower and got destroyed. Then I accidentally stumbled into the Last Giant and got wrecked again, but I think I can take him when I get to play again this evening.

I like these thrusting swords I found recently (Estoc and Mail Breaker). Poking enemies to death forever!

Should I go back and play DS1 first or just keep on keepin' on with DS2 for now?

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

I've just started getting into Souls games recently because I got a used copy of DS2 for like 5 bucks. I flailed around constantly getting owned by hollow soldiers for about two hours but I'm starting to get a better handle on combat. Then I walked into that crossbow trap with like four enemies near it somewhere after Cardinal Tower and got destroyed. Then I accidentally stumbled into the Last Giant and got wrecked again, but I think I can take him when I get to play again this evening.

I like these thrusting swords I found recently (Estoc and Mail Breaker). Poking enemies to death forever!

Should I go back and play DS1 first or just keep on keepin' on with DS2 for now?

It's not really the sort of game where it's the beginning of the story. The motifs are there, taken in a new direction in DS2, but there's not a lot connecting both games in the traditional sense.

Play it if you want more dark souls, tho, it's a good game on its own. A few game mechanics are different (for the worse IMO), but it's generally the same sort of gameplay. But I wouldn't stop to go back to it, I'd just finish DS2.

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

DS2 is a good game, DS1 is one of the best of all time. Beat DS2 then play 1.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Will do! But I guess that'll be a while. I can't imagine that the Last Giant is even a little bit far into the game.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Might as well stick with DS2 for now. DS1 will probably feel wierd to go back to afterwards because of the 30fps and lack of UI improvements, but it'll still be playable.

Some tips that helped me get rolling in DS2:

Last Giant is the first boss, he's not too hard, but if you go human (use a human effigy from your inventory) you'll get your max hp back and will be able to see summon signs - which let you call in other players or NPCs for help. If you talked to Mild Mannered Pate near that crossbow trap enough (might have to navigate the trap room he talks about) you should be able to summon him to help in the fight - if he survives he'll give you some gear and you'll be able to run into him later in the game. That said, it's nothing hugely critical, so don't feel like you gotta summon him.

Mild Mannered Pate will also give you a white soapstone, which you can put down to be summoned by other players. This is not a bad way to get some souls if you're finding yourself underpowered or just in need of some souls, but also if you help that person kill a boss, you'll be returned to human form in your own game. In that zone you'll also be able to find a small white soap stone, which works more or less the same way but only requires you to help for a bunch of enemies or set time, again, a super good way to get human again to reset the death penalty hp loss.

Make sure you buy the blacksmith key off the old lady by the bonfire. The blacksmith sells a few weapons in case you're looking to try something different, but more importantly he upgrades weapons, something that can give you a huge edge since it's where a lot of your power comes from. Also, if you exhaust the old ladies dialog, she should return to the main town after some point.

Apologies if you know any of this already / figured this out already and I just sound like a huge putz. :v:

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Thanks for the advice! Sadly some of it isn't relevant because I'm playing on Xbox and don't have multiplayer. I didn't know you could use the soapstone to summon NPCs, though, so that's definitely useful!
I'm considering just getting Scholar of the First Sin on PC, though. The multiplayer format sounds really interesting and I'd like to try it but I'm not gonna pay 50 bucks a year for live when I don't play online games on Xbox much right now.

I figured out the reduced-health Hollow/Effigy mechanic after my two hours of flailing, and knowing I could go back to full health if I needed to really helped make the game more manageable :D

I got the blacksmith key! Haven't gotten anything from Lenigrast yet but I will soon. I haven't come across any titanite shards, so no upgrades yet. Or can you also buy upgrade materials from him?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

I got the blacksmith key! Haven't gotten anything from Lenigrast yet but I will soon. I haven't come across any titanite shards, so no upgrades yet. Or can you also buy upgrade materials from him?

He sells ten shards for now. There are plenty of shards lying around FoFG, though, plus a large shard. There's also some in Majula.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Thanks for the advice! Sadly some of it isn't relevant because I'm playing on Xbox and don't have multiplayer. I didn't know you could use the soapstone to summon NPCs, though, so that's definitely useful!
The Soapstone has nothing to do with you summoning NPCs, you just get it from an NPC you can only summon after you talked to him (and got the soapstone). The Soapstone gets YOU summoned - you put a "I'm available to be summoned" message on the floor, basically, which will show up in other players' worlds so they can call you for help. If you are human, you will see NPC soapstone messages (white scribbles) in front of boss doors and sometimes somewhere in a level, it's meant to emulate the online experience of someone leaving signs there. You can always touch those and summon, no need for a soapstone.

Also, don't be like me and start wondering why you don't see any soapstone signs pop up, then realize very slowly that you should have taken the altar in Majula seriously. You did not perchance speak with a rock and ignore its warnings?

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Paracelsus posted:

He sells ten shards for now. There are plenty of shards lying around FoFG, though, plus a large shard. There's also some in Majula.

Good to know, thanks!

Simply Simon posted:

The Soapstone has nothing to do with you summoning NPCs, you just get it from an NPC you can only summon after you talked to him (and got the soapstone). The Soapstone gets YOU summoned - you put a "I'm available to be summoned" message on the floor, basically, which will show up in other players' worlds so they can call you for help. If you are human, you will see NPC soapstone messages (white scribbles) in front of boss doors and sometimes somewhere in a level, it's meant to emulate the online experience of someone leaving signs there. You can always touch those and summon, no need for a soapstone.

Also, don't be like me and start wondering why you don't see any soapstone signs pop up, then realize very slowly that you should have taken the altar in Majula seriously. You did not perchance speak with a rock and ignore its warnings?

I uh do not believe I spoke to any rock in Majula.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I'm considering just getting Scholar of the First Sin on PC, though. The multiplayer format sounds really interesting and I'd like to try it but I'm not gonna pay 50 bucks a year for live when I don't play online games on Xbox much right now

Do it. The multiplayer (especially in DS2, which still has the best PVP in the entire series) is vital to the experience. Plus. Scholar fixes a ton of broken poo poo from vanilla, adds in a secret(ish) ending, updates the framerate, textures and lighting, and has all of the DLC included. It's the definitive version of the game.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Silhouette posted:

Do it. The multiplayer (especially in DS2, which still has the best PVP in the entire series) is vital to the experience. Plus. Scholar fixes a ton of broken poo poo from vanilla, adds in a secret(ish) ending, updates the framerate, textures and lighting, and has all of the DLC included. It's the definitive version of the game.

Yeah, the fact that all the DLC is included is mostly what tempts me. Sadly my budget is a little tight right now, but maybe I can squeeze in $40 somewhere...

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Yeah, the fact that all the DLC is included is mostly what tempts me. Sadly my budget is a little tight right now, but maybe I can squeeze in $40 somewhere...

I just did a quick google for PC looks like its $12.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
how "likely" is it to get soft banned for using x360ce? I don't think i really care because multi isn't a priority for me but I'm sure as hell not using the default controls it assigns my controller

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Levitate posted:

how "likely" is it to get soft banned for using x360ce? I don't think i really care because multi isn't a priority for me but I'm sure as hell not using the default controls it assigns my controller

They used to do a weekly check so if you use something that gets you softbanned you'll only notice after a week. Lots of people reported that x360ce can get you softbanned but at this point on PC I wouldn't care less. I stopped playing on PC and now I play on PS4 where you can still find people to play with.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
wellll gently caress it the controls without it are too annoying to get used to and I didn't do much if any internetting in DS1

I assume I'd just stop seeing summons/stop getting invaded/etc while human if softbanned

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

By all means use it if you feel it's necessary. I used it for all three Dark Souls games and never had an issue, even in DS3. (And they'll explicitly tell you if you're on the road to a ban in that.)

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Don't worry, you'll still be able to play with all the other filthy button remappers who got sent to purgatory where your kind belongs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Just use KB + M like I did for all three games. At the very least, it's about a thousand times easier to consistently execute a guard break/jumping attack compared to a controller.