Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean, You Goddamn Insufferable rear end in a top hat

Sometimes I really do wonder if Batiuk is just outright not capable of recognizing when it doesn't make thematic or contextual sense for his characters to be smug assholes. For example, when they're stuck at the DMV solely because they failed to notice their license expired over a year ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Viivi & Wagner

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Funky has hit peak smugness. Anything beyond that would be indistinguishable with Beijing during rush hour.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Arlo and Janis Classic (Dec. 17, 1994)

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

Hello, and welcome to the Ohio BMV fun fact corner.

- If you renew your license after six months of its expiry, you must obtain a temporary permit and re-complete all necessary testing.
- You receive mail notification prior to your license expiring
- Ohio BMV offices are not filled with dry, snarking losers eking out their last days before death with stupid smug one-liners, but rather normal state government employees.

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean, You Goddamn Insufferable rear end in a top hat

More BMV fun facts:

- Cash or check only requirements are only for certain functions of the BMV, of which the driver's license is not one.
- The BMV actually takes your license when you renew it, meaning that they only ask for changes in information.
- gently caress that smug prick.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

This made me check when my license expires.

2020! I'm good!

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Endless Mike posted:

2020! I'm good!

It's the cyberpunk year, you'll need to attend a hovercar class to renew your license

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Bizarro

Dilbert

Compu-Toon didn't update. Yesterday's was hecka weird though anyways.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

karmicknight posted:

- Ohio BMV offices are not filled with dry, snarking losers eking out their last days before death with stupid smug one-liners, but rather normal state government employees.

My local BMV office has a little plush Zootopia DMV sloth hanging on the side of the TV behind the counter.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Nancy

Today's Dogg

Dustin

Mandrake

Curses! Their perfect plan was foiled again!

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Go gently caress yourself Gilchrist.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

WickedHate posted:

If anybody starts out with "I'm sorry but" the next thing is going to be sanctimonious and not clever

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

WickedHate posted:

An evergreen post

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

...and the pitch! posted:

If anybody starts out with "I'm sorry but" the next thing is going to be sanctimonious and not clever

Ironically it reads like something that you'd see on Facebook.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

I have to wonder where the artist grew up that they've never seen a person hold a spoon before.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Selachian posted:

Rhymes with Orange

This has nothing on the Fingerpori Mantrain.

F Minus

Mary Worth

Rex Morgan MD

Basically the exact same strip as yesterday. I know it's a newspaper soap strip but come on. And why is Buck talking like a Little Rascal anyways? Who says "Phooey," or "Gee Whiz" for that matter?

Secret Agent X-9

Apartment 3-G

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

You've known him for a week. You only went on one actual date. :argh:

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Basically the exact same strip as yesterday. I know it's a newspaper soap strip but come on. And why is Buck talking like a Little Rascal anyways? Who says "Phooey," or "Gee Whiz" for that matter?

What the hell? This is serious retarded. He prances around a while and has to get a loving IV?
Chug a Gatorade and get back out there, christ.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
It's a contrived excuse to get Rex back involved in the plot.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Johnny Aztec posted:

What the hell? This is serious retarded. He prances around a while and has to get a loving IV?
Chug a Gatorade and get back out there, christ.

My stepdad spent a few days in the hospital after accidentally flushing all of the electrolytes out of his system, so I'm siding with the strip here.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

If his fluid intake was already subpar it's entirely possible to seriously dehydrate in a comparatively short time period. At the point where he's fainting it'd be pretty irresponsible for that doctor to let him go without an IV.

Finally, incidental knowledge gained from living at altitude in dry climates pays off.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Please, I'm fat as gently caress, and do work at the bottom of swimming pools in the middle of summer. Slowly walking through a con hall isn't going to do this based on what little they showed in the strip.
His shirt isn't even damp, for fucks sake.

I'd believe that he let his blood sugar drop too low though.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

EasyEW posted:

My stepdad spent a few days in the hospital after accidentally flushing all of the electrolytes out of his system, so I'm siding with the strip here.

This poo poo nearly happened to me at Oshkosh -- I chugged a shitload of water, nearly fainted, and recovered in a Hardees with a powerade.

Smets
Nov 4, 2009

Johnny Aztec posted:

His shirt isn't even damp, for fucks sake.

He's so dehydrated he can't even produce sweat. He is little more than a walking mummy at this point.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Safety Dance posted:

This poo poo nearly happened to me at Oshkosh -- I chugged a shitload of water, nearly fainted, and recovered in a Hardees with a powerade.

Dad totally fainted, so we didn't take any chances. He also totally didn't have insurance, so we didn't let him hear the end of it.

Bloom County

Peanuts: Year Six (December 5-11, 1955)

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog

Pickles

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

Those are 1-bit graphics, you loving gently caress.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Gross.

Endless Mike posted:

2020! I'm good!

It's like that one time a lady in Mary Worth got her wallet stolen and had to contact all her credit card companies and a bunch of us were like, "Oh, poo poo, that would be a total pain in the rear end! We better make a list of our credit cards, just in case!" Newspaper comics serve an important educational function and should continue to be supported.

Not a "lister," an rear end in a top hat. But I recognize that the writer of Dustin does not know the difference.

1. Why is Pru wearing scrubs?
2. "Kids First keeps me hoppin'." "The Fuse is hustlin'!" The speech of young people.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Julet Esqu posted:

2. "Kids First keeps me hoppin'." "The Fuse is hustlin'!" The speech of young people.

To be fair if they had written "the fuse is lit" it would actually be funny, we can't have that in Luann.

e: like gently caress what sort of age are we in that newspaper cartoonists totally miss the most obvious of lovely puns

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Look, when Foob ended something was going to have to pick up the fake youth lingo ball.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Julet Esqu posted:

Not a "lister," an rear end in a top hat. But I recognize that the writer of Dustin does not know the difference.

They're synonyms - he just misspelled 'Lester'

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

He's not wearing anything under that coat, is he?

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost
"My name is Jeffy, and I'm here to F y'."

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set feels the earth move under its feet.

Working Daze stands unnaturally.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix is the correct shape.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Esplanade posted:

He's not wearing anything under that coat, is he?

Are we still editing giant pixelated wangs onto everything?

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

I'm certain the readers tuned out of this conversation as well.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Mark Trail

"Give it a chance, MathGuy, they haven't elaborated yet," I thought to myself yesterday. More fool me.

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

:allears:

Pooch Café

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious