Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

The General posted:

Are you sure that was a TNG thing? Or did it get more lax as the series went on? I seem to remember Sirtis saying the writers kept asking her what she wanted her character to do, and she regretted never having an answer, as Troi never had anything to do.

I recently finished the 50 Year Mission book and lots of TNG writers talked about how the bosses didn't want you going to set. It was a split thing, one guy was in charge of editorial, one guy (I think Berman) was in charge of production, and never the two shall meet. One writer said he went down to set and nothing happened to him, but it was discouraged. Very odd way of working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Je suis fatigue
May 5, 2009

Amazing! It's a double J.O.!
Everything I knew about trek I learned from Mission Hill, I'm surprised to learn from this thread that people actually like voyager

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Meredith Baxter-Burnout posted:

Oh poo poo guys, it just happened to me.

My goondolences.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Threshold is fun. Freaky makeup, crazy-rear end B-movie concept, uncharacteristically big acting (for Voyager), and the weirdest-rear end WTF Star Trek climax of all time. I'll take it any day over, I dunno, something about Borg children.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

I'm not gonna lie, when Voyager first aired, I thought that gangways Janeway's line about females initiating mating was clever.

I was like 13.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Tuvok with emotions sounds like an angry Barack Obama.

Also, this episode is really heavy handed but still a good death penalty debate story.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tuvok with emotions sounds like an angry Barack Obama.

Also, this episode is really heavy handed but still a good death penalty debate story.

Tim Russ is a surprisingly good actor when actually allowed to emote. No wonder they gave him the emotionless role of Tuvok :v:.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

When I covertly contact the Kazon I do it in the dark with a bright red light flashing the whole time.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Tim Russ is a surprisingly good actor when actually allowed to emote. No wonder they gave him the emotionless role of Tuvok :v:.

Tum Russ as Tom Paris would have been great if you swap Tom Paris in as Tuvok.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

The laptop screens in Voyager are stupid thick. The worst part is that they're loving props. They could have made them paper thin if they'd wanted to.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The laptop screens in Voyager are stupid thick. The worst part is that they're loving props. They could have made them paper thin if they'd wanted to.

They were like that in TNG too, it's just a continuation of technology from a time when LCD's weren't really a thing. Even the PaDD's seem to be barely able to do more than text and a photo.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Those PADD's were perfect for Riker to capture a few candid vag snaps whenever he bedded his next flavor of the week.

FabioClone
Oct 3, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They were like that in TNG too, it's just a continuation of technology from a time when LCD's weren't really a thing. Even the PaDD's seem to be barely able to do more than text and a photo.

FabioClone fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Feb 16, 2017

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I don't even want STD because I have the Expanse and it's GOOD science fiction.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

corn in the bible posted:

the real question is, how do you think they'll shoehorn brent spiner into the new tv show

And he trips over something, bringing down part of the set and dropping character.

The episode then becomes season 3 of Fresh Hell.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

corn in the bible posted:

the real question is, how do you think they'll shoehorn brent spiner into the new tv show

fungus guy is scraping fungi out of a cave under San Francisco when he finds Data's head

they boot up the head, take it on an adventure and Data's head helps save the universe

then they wipe all his memories of it and put his head back in the cave

Directed by Jonathan Frakes

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

FuturePastNow posted:

fungus guy is scraping fungi out of a cave under San Francisco when he finds Data's head

they boot up the head, take it on an adventure and Data's head helps save the universe

then they wipe all his memories of it and put his head back in the cave

Directed by Jonathan Frakes

Realtalk, Brent Spiner has actually gone on record to say he'd never reprise the role of Data because he's always felt Data should look perpetually young and handsome.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

This is my favourite thing about PADDs. They have a whole bunch of them scattered around when they're working. It's probably the most realistic thing Trek got right about Future Tech. Tablets are okay for consumption if you have one, but for research and referencing, you're gonna need a handful of them. Once you can get 5 decent tablets for a cheap price, then PDFs will realize their full potential.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The General posted:

This is my favourite thing about PADDs. They have a whole bunch of them scattered around when they're working. It's probably the most realistic thing Trek got right about Future Tech. Tablets are okay for consumption if you have one, but for research and referencing, you're gonna need a handful of them. Once you can get 5 decent tablets for a cheap price, then PDFs will realize their full potential.

I actually reckon that kind of use will get side-stepped for cheap VR derived from current phone-level portable tech like the GearVR or just cheaper desktop VR as time goes on and budget-tier PC parts catch up. Just sit in a nice private 'room' with as many screens as you like. Or even handheld books/tablets with some haptic gloves/controls and go full 80's/90's cyberpunk.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

And suddenly I have hope for STD.

Weekly crucial fungal-pivotal plot elements.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Realtalk, Brent Spiner has actually gone on record to say he'd never reprise the role of Data because he's always felt Data should look perpetually young and handsome.

we've found a new android, which for some reason looks like an aging brent spiner

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

There's totally going to be an episode where the crew get mind controlled by some fungus after inhaling some spores isn't there.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Their first fungus episode for ST:D is going to be a DS9 "Trials and Tribble-ations"-style flash forward into the background of TNG as their second episode

Gotta get the bulk of people to make the move off CBS and over to $6 Onlnie CBS and its going to take the lure of Picard, Data and a good amount of fungus to do it.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The General posted:

Yep. PADDs are basically free and almost indestructible, so everyone's desk is covered in them. Sure, they have the processing and storage power to consolidate it all into one device, but it's easier to organize and compartmentalize when you can have science data PADDs to pass around to colleagues, an encrypted PADD for Starfleet data, etc all separate. Why add another folder to an existing device when you can just replicate a new one?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Alan_Shore posted:

I recently finished the 50 Year Mission book and lots of TNG writers talked about how the bosses didn't want you going to set. It was a split thing, one guy was in charge of editorial, one guy (I think Berman) was in charge of production, and never the two shall meet. One writer said he went down to set and nothing happened to him, but it was discouraged. Very odd way of working.

I didn't finish those books yet, but in the TOS part it detailed how lovely it was having the actors, mainly shatner, keep going to the writers and having them change poo poo. Maybe it was an attempt to avoid that happening again?

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Part of it is apparently Andrew Robinson started writing in-character diaries for Garak to help get in the right mindset for the role, and the writers started using them to form Garak's development in the show.

He also had trouble letting go of the character when the show ended, which resulted in him writing an entire novel to 'get him out of his system.' So if you want to read Garak's epilogue, as written by Garak, check out A Stitch in Time (ISBN: 0671038850).

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Gonna read that as soon as I save up the $149.99+shipping for a used paperback copy.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

FuturePastNow posted:

Yep. PADDs are basically free and almost indestructible, so everyone's desk is covered in them. Sure, they have the processing and storage power to consolidate it all into one device, but it's easier to organize and compartmentalize when you can have science data PADDs to pass around to colleagues, an encrypted PADD for Starfleet data, etc all separate. Why add another folder to an existing device when you can just replicate a new one?

This is like someone in 1950 explaining why people on a television show set in the future have a separate computer for each "infomator" they display on their robot boxes.

"It makes sense. How are you going to be going back and forth to all that information? You need a way to remember whats on the first "infomator" before you go on to the second. What if you need to consult a third? How about a fifth? Then you need the first again. robot boxes will be so cheap you'll just have one for each task. Whole rooms full of robot boxes. One dedicated specifically to addition and subtraction! One dedicated specifically to AM Radio! One specifically to make telephone calls! Think how efficient it'll be! Ten robot boxes will let you do ten different things! Twenty if in the future we can manage to fit twenty in a room we would double our efficiency and probably dedicate them to tasks we can only dream of, like multiplication.....or fractions. Think of it sue. A dedicated fraction robot box."

Space Crabs fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Feb 16, 2017

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

shadow puppet of a posted:

Gonna read that as soon as I save up the $149.99+shipping for a used paperback copy.

I got it from thriftbooks.com for like $20

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
The Garak book is 9 bucks in Kindle but I hear it's full of crazy typos for some reason

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Space Crabs posted:

This is like someone in 1950 explaining why people on a television show set in the future have a separate computer for each "infomator" they display on their robot boxes.

"It makes sense. How are you going to be going back and forth to all that information? You need a way to remember whats on the first "infomator" before you go on to the second. What if you need to consult a third? How about a fifth? Then you need the first again. robot boxes will be so cheap you'll just have one for each task. Whole rooms full of robot boxes. One dedicated specifically to addition and subtraction! One dedicated specifically to AM Radio! One specifically to make telephone calls! Think how efficient it'll be! Ten robot boxes will let you do ten different things! Twenty if in the future we can manage to fit twenty in a room we would double our efficiency and probably dedicate them to tasks we can only dream of, like multiplication.....or fractions. Think of it sue. A dedicated fraction robot box."

I find it really fascinating just how fast we've eclipsed most of the more 'grounded' Star Trek tech already. We have PaDD equivalents of various sizes that can do a shitload more than just take logs and display static images, nevermind touchscreens in general, and Assistant AI's have pretty much got a Starfleet computer beat cold for verbal interface. Even beating their fancy little strips of storage media with things the size of your pinkie finger's nail.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I find it really fascinating just how fast we've eclipsed most of the more 'grounded' Star Trek tech already. We have PaDD equivalents of various sizes that can do a shitload more than just take logs and display static images, nevermind touchscreens in general, and Assistant AI's have pretty much got a Starfleet computer beat cold for verbal interface. Even beating their fancy little strips of storage media with things the size of your pinkie finger's nail.

Alexa create a post-human holomonstrosity for my amusement sexual and other wise, make him smarter than this genius robot!

Didn't do anything...

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The one thing we haven't managed to do is create an aviation control scheme that with two button presses pulls up the H.M.S. Pinafore.

I'm at least a few clicks from H.M.S. Pinafore at most times. Never two.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Neddy Seagoon posted:

This is why it pains me to hell that STD is set in the pre-Kirk past. I wish we could see a stat trek written with modern tech direction and communication methods.

I'm so sick of *comm badge bleep* "Captain come down here, you've got to see this!" "Ok Chief, I'm on my way!" *leaves immediately to journey on foot across a galaxy-class ship*

Wouldn't it be nice to dispense with those old standbys and be jumpsuit-trekky as gently caress but also get out from under the heap of Roddenberry's understanding of inter-office communications circa 1960 where the paper memos arrive in your inbox but on PADDs instead?

Give everyone an invisible Jem'Hadar ship's eye-display to make data communication instant and constant, to along with their invisible universal translator, and get on with the crazy sci-fi and morality plays.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Space Crabs posted:

This modern life is a nightmare indeed

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

This is why it pains me to hell that STD is set in the pre-Kirk past. I wish we could see a stat trek written with modern tech direction and communication methods.

I'm so sick of *comm badge bleep* "Captain come down here, you've got to see this!" "Ok Chief, I'm on my way!" *leaves immediately to journey on foot across a galaxy-class ship*

Calling for security was always funny. 90% of the time the problem is already over when Worf runs in with some random guy 5 minutes later. The other 10% of the time he can't handle the problem.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Space Crabs posted:

The one thing we haven't managed to do is create an aviation control scheme that with two button presses pulls up the H.M.S. Pinafore.

It was a contextual menu based on listening to what he was saying, like an always-on Siri without the 20 second lag. He pressed button #1 "Recent Mentions" then button #2 the little LCARS play button beside "Gilbert and Sullivan, Greatest Hits"

gently caress, please don't banish me to the TVIV thread for getting cranky about this.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

MA-Horus posted:

I don't even want STD because I have the Expanse and it's GOOD science fiction.

Nobody wants STD, but you're getting STD one way or another. That's how viruses franchises work.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Space Crabs posted:

You have a Youtube bookmark in your browser for it, on a dashboard screen in the cockpit. One click for the web browser, two for the bookmark. Duh! :rolleyes:.

Wouldn't it be nice to dispense with those old standbys and be jumpsuit-trekky as gently caress but also get out from under the heap of Roddenberry's understanding of inter-office communications circa 1960 where the paper memos arrive in your inbox but on PADDs instead?

Give everyone an invisible Jem'Hadar ship's eye-display to make data communication instant and constant, to along with their invisible universal translator, and get on with the crazy sci-fi and morality plays.

One thing with Star Trek I've never minded is the way they're able to pull data out of just about anyone's computers, sight-unseen. Given how long Starfleet been at it and how many races they've encountered over several centuries, their computers being able to try to interface and call data from an alien system isn't too unreasonable if you think of it as running several billion permutations to force a working connection in every way it can until something connects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

It was a contextual menu based on listening to what he was saying, like an always-on Siri without the 20 second lag. He pressed button #1 "Recent Mentions" then button #2 the little LCARS play button beside "Gilbert and Sullivan, Greatest Hits"

gently caress, please don't banish me to the TVIV thread for getting cranky about this.

*Riker hits recent mentions*

"rear end"
"rear end Play"
"rear end Bitch"
"Asses"
"Big Asses"
"Huge Asses"
"Giant Asses"
"All Power to the rear end"
"Asstopia"
"Assville"
"Asshaven"