Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Let me have this, goddamn. I'm here at work, my dipshit supervisor is watching back to back episodes of Big Bang Theory, and I forgot my phone charger so I can't play Fire Emblem on my dead phone!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Australia gets the Switch before you do~

Midnight launch baby~

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Let me have this, goddamn. I'm here at work, my dipshit supervisor is watching back to back episodes of Big Bang Theory, and I forgot my phone charger so I can't play Fire Emblem on my dead phone!

BAZINGA!

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

You know what's really making me want to open a vein? The theme song.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I got a phone with a USB-C charger, should I avoid using this as an on the go charger for my Switch?

Most phone chargers are fine, though it depends on the phone. Pixel chargers work alright. Nexus chargers had some issues.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSeXojvzLpc

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

PerrineClostermann posted:

Most phone chargers are fine, though it depends on the phone. Pixel chargers work alright. Nexus chargers had some issues.

HTC?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Apparently the HTC devices use Qualcomm's proprietary QuickCharge over their USB C ports, which in and of itself is a violation of the USB C spec. I don't know if it'd be dangerous to the Switch, but don't expect the Switch to charge quickly off of it. The Switch seems to use USB Power Delivery, not Qualcomm QuickCharge.

http://phandroid.com/2016/04/21/lg-g5-htc-10-usb-type-c/
http://phandroid.com/2016/05/18/htc-10-usb-type-c-incident/

You should ask the guys in the Android thread for more details or help.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

PerrineClostermann posted:

Apparently the HTC devices use Qualcomm's proprietary QuickCharge over their USB C ports, which in and of itself is a violation of the USB C spec. I don't know if it'd be dangerous to the Switch, but don't expect the Switch to charge quickly off of it. The Switch seems to use USB Power Delivery, not Qualcomm QuickCharge.

http://phandroid.com/2016/04/21/lg-g5-htc-10-usb-type-c/
http://phandroid.com/2016/05/18/htc-10-usb-type-c-incident/

You should ask the guys in the Android thread for more details or help.

Well this is all very disconcerting.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005
I read somewhere that using USB C to USB C with a battery pack is a safe way to go because battery packs don't have resistors and thus can't fry your switch. Can anyone confirm/deny the validity of this argument? Doesn't make much sense to me but I have no idea what I am talking about nor do I fully understand what a resistor is.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I think I'd heard the opposite - C to C adapters were a problem because they're just kinda new and not all are made very well. A to C were apparently safer?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Don't know the details on how it all works, but USB power delivery (exclusive to USB C afaik) can output a lot. Or the device can request a lot. If there's a mismatch in what the charger reports what it can provide or the cable screws that up, things can go wrong.

I guess the idea with USB A to C chargers/cables is that the USB A chargers are relatively basic and generally output only so much power, like the most is 5V/2.4A or 12W, vs USB C potentially ranging from 15-100W with different voltage/amp profiles or something. As long as the cable doesn't screw it up somehow (like blocks the device from knowing it's just a USB-A source?) things should be fine? :iiam:

This is assuming the Switch is fine with charging off lower power sources. The dock brick is 39W while the car adapter does 15W, but the third party chargers are all the usual 12W stuff.

Macintosh HD posted:

Ugh. Why would they. :cripes:
(Re: dock being proprietary/needed for video output). Only one way to find out for sure! If they're just bullshitting I suspect you'd at least need sufficient power (i.e. the 39W brick or better) to go along with the USB-C/HDMI hub or whatever you were planning on...and maybe some physical aspect like the dock might have pegs or something. I'm sure someone will test this crap out once to comes out.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005

well why not posted:

I think I'd heard the opposite - C to C adapters were a problem because they're just kinda new and not all are made very well. A to C were apparently safer?

Yea that's what I assumed also. At a minimum A to C should be safer because I would imagine it's capacity is limited to what a regular USB cable can do.

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

FPzero posted:

Switch launch isn't amazing but it's no N64 launch in terms of quantity. N64 launched in the US with Super Mario 64 and Pilotwings 64 and that was it.

Funny enough the WiiU probably had one of the best launches in launch history. Lots of ports, sure, but 34 games available on launch day. (Of course this didn't mean sales were guaranteed but that's not my point here)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_game_console_launch_games

Mario and Pilotwings were exclusive to the n64 and were revolutionary games at the time. Mario 64 alone was the stuff of legends. You can't compare it to the switch.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

I got an N64 for my birthday shortly after it came out and it was literally mindblowing playing Mario 64. Sure, I was 12, but gently caress it was an incredible experience.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Theory time; from articles I've read the joycons will charge from the switch itself when they're plugged in to it (even if it's not plugged in). How much do you think this might impact on the unit's battery? Noticeably?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

What I've heard is that the system tries to be smart about the charging. For example, if the system itself is running low but the joycons still have a decent amount of juice, it won't waste any power on them because they don't need it.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Is there a way to test USB C cables and the battery units before I go ahead and just plug in a switch, or am I just being paranoid? We have a bunch of those mobile battery chargers we bought for pokemon go, I'm assuming it's fine for the switch if it's also fine for a Google Pixel.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

AlphaKeny1 posted:

Is there a way to test USB C cables and the battery units before I go ahead and just plug in a switch, or am I just being paranoid? We have a bunch of those mobile battery chargers we bought for pokemon go, I'm assuming it's fine for the switch if it's also fine for a Google Pixel.

Dude from Google tests USB C cables so you don't buy one that'll fry your Switch
https://plus.google.com/collection/s0Inv

Alternatively just buy Nintendo brand accessories :shrug:

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Infinitum posted:

Is that a brand I can trust?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Is that a brand I can trust?

Sure they can be trusted.

Trusted to gouge the gently caress out of you

Infinitum fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Feb 16, 2017

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Supercar Gautier posted:

What I've heard is that the system tries to be smart about the charging. For example, if the system itself is running low but the joycons still have a decent amount of juice, it won't waste any power on them because they don't need it.

Considering the Joycons apparently can do twenty hours while the Switch can only do six at best I imagine the system wouldn't bother charging the Joycons while not plugged into power unless it absolutely had to.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

lol

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Stux posted:

this is nothing to do with hardware similarity though

You're not making sense here. The DS had the GBA hardware inside it. The Wii and WiiU had the Gamecube hardware inside it. The 3DS had the DS hardware inside it. The original 60GB PS3 had the PS2 hardware inside it. That allowed for backwards compatibility.

The Switch can't have WiiU hardware inside it because a) it'd be huge to hold in order to have the WiiU specific hardware and b) it doesn't have optical media, so none of the WiiU physical games would work anyway.

If we're talking software backwards compatibility with older systems, then thats basically eshop and Virtual Console. Many are hoping that this transfers.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Also, we have a gangtag! :D

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Gays of the Year

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yes, hello?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

VideoGames posted:

Typical Nintendo, these hidden costs are piling up.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I heard the joycons charge kinetically whenever you do jerk-off motions with them.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

VideoGames posted:

super psyched

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Jimmy Hats posted:

I heard the joycons charge kinetically whenever you do jerk-off motions with them.

No More Heroes 3 is gonna loving rule

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

well why not posted:

super psyched

And I'm rocking it as we speak :D

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Infinitum posted:

Buy lovely third-party controllers so when your friends come over to play, they get the lovely third-party controller. Don't break tradition.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I can't believe I only have to experience two more Fridays without a Nintendo Switch.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I'm probably gonna get a second dock so I can pretty easily switch (heh) between TVs in my house which is actually pretty drat cool when I think about it. Speaking of TV hook ups has there been any updates on how this will handle surround sound? I'm guessing it will have to use a receiver that has an HDMI pass through

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I'm going to buy a second dock and set it up at my parent's house so I can play snipperclips with my mom

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Dr Cheeto posted:

I'm going to buy a second dock and set it up at my parent's house so I can play snipperclips with my mom

Why not just, you know, bring the dock with you when you go to her house

OR, better yet, just play via tabletop mode, like Nintendo demands

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I'm going to NOT buy a second dock. Checkmate :smugdon:

I will however make my screen protector out of the bones of martyrs

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I only need one dock because everyone will be on my rooftop having parties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
You dorks, just get a sweet messenger bag that fits everything in it:

• Locked thread