Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

SplitScreenGamer posted:

I've been thinking of getting Stellaris if only for the Star Trek mod. What do people who've played it think?

You don't even need the Star Trek mod to play as Starfleet. Make a bunch of humans, make them peace-loving and so on, and voila. Warpdrives are already in the game, and you can form a federation and go be peace-loving...or not.

I mean, the game doesn't yet have much to do while at peace with the galaxy, but Banks sounds like it'll fix that.

Alternatively you could declare a war-happy alien species Klingons and go to war with them, it's doable!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I want a BiTrektual mod that adds both Star Trek and Star Wars stuff.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:

Esroc posted:

Mod appears to be outdated, but a comment at the bottom by the author explains how he did it by disabling two parameters in data files. That I can easily do myself now that I know how.

EDIT: Welp, nevermind. I can disable AI Empires entirely but no matter what I try I can't disable pre-FTL races and Enclaves. Even changing their parameters to zero in data files changes nothing and they still pop up all over the place. So there appears to be no easy way to play a human only game.

1) Go to \Stellaris\common\solar_system_initializers
2) Open special_system_initializers.txt
3) Find the sections titled "Primitive Civilizations" and "Stone Age Primitives"
4) Set the "usage_odds =" to 0

Do the same thing to the the section labeled "The Sanctuary" if you don't want that to appear either.

If this doesn't work, check to make sure you don't have any mods overwriting that paticular file.

The Enclaves are in guardian_system_initializers.txt but I'm not sure how to do that one yet.

VirtualStranger fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Feb 16, 2017

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

I'm tryna get my peen touched, pants.
i would sensually fistfight the stellaris devs

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

SplitScreenGamer posted:

I've been thinking of getting Stellaris if only for the Star Trek mod. What do people who've played it think?

It's neat. There's only a few events in but they're way more detailed than the usual stuff in the vanilla game. We're talking "They scripted entire episodes as a multiple choice adventure and then gave you a bunch of "what if" outcomes and choices to make on top of that".

There's also faction unique events, like the Cardassian's wanking off about serving the state, to more complex things like the Federation (which you have to found first and get through the ENT era/not get earth wrecked by the Xindi) having a full blown political system where you can issue federation wide research focuses, properly negotiate with and induct nations into the Federation (Which gives you their territory barring planets and gives them the security of every member state teaming up on every threat along with other neat bonuses.), to even issuing sanctions against warring states.

There's also a Klingon civil war and event and apparently the Tal Shiar is an event based thing for Romulans, among a bunch of other things. Though I haven't tried them yet.

I've pretty much got my entire quadrant of the galaxy (it comes with unique setting accurate maps) under my control or contained, barring some axis of evil popping up. At this point i'm exploring the galactic core (Which is enabled to explore and has a ton of huge bonuses in it, but no naturally habitable planets. The center of the galaxy is a solar system sized black hole too.) and gearing up for when I meet the Borg. At this point it feels like things are slowing down. Though that's mostly because I was careful to rewrite history by uniting everyone else against the Romulans at the end of the ENT era.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Feb 16, 2017

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

StrixNebulosa posted:

You don't even need the Star Trek mod to play as Starfleet. Make a bunch of humans, make them peace-loving and so on, and voila. Warpdrives are already in the game, and you can form a federation and go be peace-loving...or not.

I mean, the game doesn't yet have much to do while at peace with the galaxy, but Banks sounds like it'll fix that.

Alternatively you could declare a war-happy alien species Klingons and go to war with them, it's doable!

The star trek mod is actually really good. Or more accurately, it has the start of something really good.

So far I've played as the Federation and see that you basically act out the entire plot of Enterprise (ITS BEEN A LOOOONG ROAD, GETTING FROM THERE TO HERE) and that's sort of cool. If you fail to stop the xindi mega weapon earth gets destroyed, the bad xindi rule their planet, and the Federation becomes the Human Remanant. There's even an event with the parallel universe poo poo but I think it's just a cool event and doesn't lead anywhere. I've heard you can form the Federation and merge all the races under your control as a single empire, but I've yet to see that happen.

If you play as the Romulans every 4 years or so you tell the Tal Shiar to focus on certain activities harming your chosen opponent. You also get Romulans and Remans using the latter as slaves.

If you play as the Dominion you have the founders and the vorta, the latter having traits to show they are genetically altered to be loyal and poo poo. You can also "build" jemhadar pops to get access to jem hadar group troops.

I think the Klingons have some sort of unique mechanic too, but haven't played as them yet.

If the guys working on it continue the way they have been in a year it will probably be the best star trek stratgey game ever made.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

VirtualStranger posted:

3) Find the sections titled "Primitive Civilizations" and "Stone Age Primitives"

Do the same thing to the the section labeled "The Sanctuary" if you don't want that to appear either.

If this doesn't work, check to make sure you don't have any mods overwriting that paticular file.

The Enclaves are in guardian_system_initializers.txt but I'm not sure how to do that one yet.

I'd rather suggest copying the necessary files and folders into a mod and modify that one. This way you don't have to reinstall and wipe everything you did away every time you want to do multiplayer.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
Also it has the super hard mode of starting out as the race of that annoying chef from Voyager.

They start next to a bunch of despotic empires and the loving Borg of all things. The latter of which are basically a minor AE for most of the game. Albeit one that most empires can fight off, since they have to cross an entire galaxy full of hazards to get next to them. So once you take down a cube they can't easily send as many more without nearby empires in their quadrant of the galaxy deciding to purge some cyborgs.

But no, you're right next door to these guys. So you had better be ready for a mass exodus as soon as possible. Or just pray they're too busy duking it out with the warlike empires to assimilate you. And they can assimilate you, since they have working mechanics for that.

Edit: I forgot to mention that space combat is way different too. You don't field gigantic fleets. Instead it's a lot like the series, where for most of the game you're fielding a small to large number of ships to respond to various threats that are specialized for roles. The interface for how you design ships is entirely different due to there being no equipment slot types for things like power generators and shields too. Instead it's all race specific and rare techs that go into a slot on the side of the screen representing each thing like armor or shields. So you only slot one shield, armor item, etc, etc, and can customize a ship with similar bonuses via it's specialization type.

Also even once I dealt with the Xindi I had to deal with the Terra Prime arc of ENT. loving Mars of all things rebelled even after I crashed the space bigot's moon base with a MACO assault team and managed to calm the Denobulans after some space bigots decided to murder a Denobulan in the streets. So I had a huge civil war on my hands in my home system and a few salty alien races that were at least thankful for a rebellion to vent their frustration on. Though since I played pre-Federation humans as a smart and actually outgoing version of Archer practically every friendly race in the Alpha Quadrant dropped into my system in one big fleet to help me obliterate the Xindi probe and the rebellion a decade later.

Presumably if the rebellion won i'd be playing a xenophobic empire as opposed to the "Human Remnants" of the Xindi arc's bad future episode.

TL;DR: It's a fun mod. Needs a bit more work, but worth picking up if you want a new experience that's pretty much entirely different from vanilla.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Feb 16, 2017

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

if there was a star trek-esque paradox game, i would like it [louder so wiz can hear] i would like it to be about managing an ncc 1701-d style starship with many decks

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Duodecimal posted:

More of a Foundation universe kind of thing.

A Foundation universe type mod would be awesome, especially if the initial human race is prone to civil war and creates new civilizations with some kind of regularity. I'm hopeful that the upcoming faction system will make that kind of game possible/more interesting, because playing in a galaxy full of disparate and vaguely related human civilizations sounds awesome.

Also unrelated, but what would Starfleet be considered? Militant Xenophiles?

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Oh, and the Mirror Universe event is basically the prelude to a mirror universe crisis. If you choose the right events they even threaten you with invasion and say that you're a bunch of weak skinned pacifists right before they're beamed back to their universe.

The game has a lot of neat crisis events, actually. Though most aren't implemented yet.

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

A Foundation universe type mod would be awesome, especially if the initial human race is prone to civil war and creates new civilizations with some kind of regularity. I'm hopeful that the upcoming faction system will make that kind of game possible/more interesting, because playing in a galaxy full of disparate and vaguely related human civilizations sounds awesome.

Also unrelated, but what would Starfleet be considered? Militant Xenophiles?

Libertarian Xenophiles with a side dose of militancy thanks to their penchant for gunboat diplomacy.

There's a Foundation universe mod under total conversions on the workshop too.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

VirtualStranger posted:

Did it. It changed nothing. In the primitives file usage_odds are all zero, and even tinkered with some of the Enclave files parameters such as reducing "spawn chance" to zero. The game still spawns primitives, stone age or otherwise, and Enclaves like they're going out of style. I can only assume there's another file somewhere or some hardcoded data that supersedes whatever is in special_system_initializers.txt and guardian_system_initializers.txt. Because they are definitely edited and set to zero, and I have no mods running whatsoever, but it doesn't change a goddamn thing.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Baronjutter posted:

I still illogically yearn for a "pre warp" start along with some pre-warp content/stuff to do. In my fantasy FTL tech its self would be just one of the early-game techs, and before you get it you'd be doing stuff like getting your first space station up and running and colonizing/mining/exploring your own solar system.

The start in stellaris feels like some modern day people were suddenly given some FTL ships and it's their first time in space since their home system is totally unexplored. I was always the nerd who would start pre-warp in Moo2 and ignore the engine techs as long as I could, instead focusing on industrial and social/bio tech role playing a society that thinks traveling to the stars is frivolous and why invest in that when there's so much room for growth and development in our home system? It's not like there's other aliens out there competing for systems, what's the rush?

One thing that's interesting is that there are a bunch of techs that you start with them already researched. IIRC they're stuff like "now you can build a construction ship / mine / army / etc," So hypothetically someone could make a mod that let you do this. It'd be weird to balance because you have crap pops and start the regular game with a lot of minerals worth of infrastructure already, but it could be cool. Maybe you could start with the basic space station and upgrade it to build non-ftl ships.

--

I started a new game of despotic empire or whatever, normally I don't do this. I get a war scientist right off the bat and take a gamble researching centralized command, and find an rear end in a top hat nearby who can't get to me because I have wormholes and they don't. Also get advanced spaceport right off the bat. My species is strong and resilient.

The only other nearby species are all pre-warp, so I decide I'm gonna go full conquer instead of spamming colony tech like I used to. I'm actually getting really pumped up because if I can snag all these chumps quickly I can also overwhelm my initial rival immediately, and this should put me in a really solid position for the rest of the game. The pre-ftl guys had some really nice systems around them.

So the starting governor has architectural sense and it shaves a good amount of time and cost off of the command center, and I build the elite army with some drones cause gently caress it. Follow it up with like four more regulars. Decent general options. Get my ships and the marines into position. Plenty of influence due to rivaling the zealots and my starting overlord had some good perks. Can't land. This is an older version of the empire on this PC, and I forgot that species you make are not saved in the cloud. I have xenophile instead of militarist. Goddamn it.

I named these guys Vool Consolidated Regions, and I thought it was neat that in that on tweet with the slave uprising the planet was named like Vool'u and the slaves were the exact same portrait.

--

Hey, for whoever is making the GOON EMPIRE PACK, should I wait for the update to drop or should I just say gently caress it and barf them out now?

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

oddium posted:

if there was a star trek-esque paradox game, i would like it [louder so wiz can hear] i would like it to be about managing an ncc 1701-d style starship with many decks
Also assigning individual crew members to go on/off duty as needed, and fatigue levels too. Further, if they get sick you'll have to assign them to go to sickbay for treatment.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

The upcoming stuff looks good enough that I finally decided to bite the bullet and get this and now my card keeps getting declined. :argh:

Anyone have any idea why that would be the case? Paradox is based in Sweden, but that doesn't seem like it would affect buying something on their web store.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

Tulul posted:

The upcoming stuff looks good enough that I finally decided to bite the bullet and get this and now my card keeps getting declined. :argh:

Anyone have any idea why that would be the case? Paradox is based in Sweden, but that doesn't seem like it would affect buying something on their web store.

edit: Nevermind. I misunderstood and thought you were trying to get it from Steam.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:

Esroc posted:

Did it. It changed nothing. In the primitives file usage_odds are all zero, and even tinkered with some of the Enclave files parameters such as reducing "spawn chance" to zero. The game still spawns primitives, stone age or otherwise, and Enclaves like they're going out of style. I can only assume there's another file somewhere or some hardcoded data that supersedes whatever is in special_system_initializers.txt and guardian_system_initializers.txt. Because they are definitely edited and set to zero, and I have no mods running whatsoever, but it doesn't change a goddamn thing.

No idea what's wrong, then. It works fine for me.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
What will this upcoming dlc cost?

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

Can you uplift pre-sentients on planets you already colonized?

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Flappy Bert posted:

Can you uplift pre-sentients on planets you already colonized?

You can only uplift pre-sentients on planets you have colonized.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/831961940536750080

Sometimes it's the smaller changes.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Do I get any warscore benefit from hanging around, blockading an enemy planet for a long time? Or is it just a fixed amount of warscore for having a blockade present on a given planet?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Stone Age species really didn't make sense before so this is a good change.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Please tell me there's a way to destroy this now-ownerless research station around a star, so I can build a frontier outpost on it.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Still hoping we get some kind of galaxy map marker for pre-ftl planets.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

This is great. The only way to get them as real populations before/currently is to pick the option enslave them upon colonizing.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
An end to 'Hordes of primitives invade your enclave' events can only be a good thing. Even if the events are still in the game, at least we can spay the cause away.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

GotLag posted:

Do I get any warscore benefit from hanging around, blockading an enemy planet for a long time? Or is it just a fixed amount of warscore for having a blockade present on a given planet?

Fixed amount for blockading the planet.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
It's not something that's a huge issue but time frames in Stellaris would be kind of weird for empires to sublime or decline, and for new ones to appear. It's sort of weird if you think about it that the current scale has worlds reach full population and utilisation/urbanisation in a single generation. To have the galactic landscape change do radically in 200-300 years would be extremely odd.

Mind you I appreciate that the current time scale is just a gameplay abstraction and the scale is not actually that important to Stellaris's gameplay. But I just thought about it as people where discussing wishing more empires and species would dynamically appear. In most science fiction it's the ascension or inwards focus that leads to the decline of the territory of older species and allows new ones to rise to the galactic stage.

Basically when there's a few megs empires on the map controlling everything I can't see much point in having new ones spawn. They wouldn't be able to achieve much or meaningfully affect galactic politics.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/832197061302947841

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Wolfechu posted:

Still hoping we get some kind of galaxy map marker for pre-ftl planets.

In Banks, also with separate ones for systems where you have an observation posts.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Embrace/Promote/Suppress faction looks delicious. A multispecies empire is definitely going to be more exciting to play.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Haven't even gotten around to reading the dev diary, but thank loving god.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
Xenophobic indoctrination : Making sure that the natives knows you are dicks.

Xeno safari confirmed?

Rincewinds fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Feb 16, 2017

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

GotLag posted:

Please tell me there's a way to destroy this now-ownerless research station around a star, so I can build a frontier outpost on it.

Hahah no. I have run into this horrible truth more than once. There is no way to destroy abandoned stations

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Worth noting left into the screenshots like the tease he is, Wiz has shown there's a new "ethics" type in edition to the 8 that already exist. Since it looks like a honeycomb and the next dev diary will mention hive minds I suspect it's that specifically hive minds don't have ethics of their own, because if youre playing a race of insects that are all drones controlled by a queen, why would they have opinions of their own?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

It might be crazy and outside the scope of the game's systems, but I'd kinda like some way to just colonize planets with pre-FTL species on them without invading them. Basically the most aggressive option without going to war. If they're advanced enough, you couldn't do this without everyone noticing, leading to a kind of grand introduction a la The Day the Earth Stood Still, Childhood's End or V. You could still do many of the observation missions (or modified versions of them), but since they definitely know you're there and know what you are, they all work differently and have different events. If the pre-FTL species is not all that advanced, you might plausibly be able to start colonizing without them realizing (population too low/distributed).

eta: Though, thinking it over, The Day the Earth Stood Still and Childhood's End are probably closer to what enlightenment looks like.

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Feb 16, 2017

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Kitchner posted:

Worth noting left into the screenshots like the tease he is, Wiz has shown there's a new "ethics" type in edition to the 8 that already exist. Since it looks like a honeycomb and the next dev diary will mention hive minds I suspect it's that specifically hive minds don't have ethics of their own, because if youre playing a race of insects that are all drones controlled by a queen, why would they have opinions of their own?

That one I interpreted as being somehow based on sector independence, because iirc pop-ups for sector alerts also use that honeycomb pattern.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

I have a data file request for easier modding.

Please add separate entries for starting ethic min/max (min would be for AI empires) and in-game max ethics rather than having one value for all three.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

CrazyTolradi posted:

Also assigning individual crew members to go on/off duty as needed, and fatigue levels too. Further, if they get sick you'll have to assign them to go to sickbay for treatment.

Silent Hunter III was a good game.

I am desperate for a Silent Hunter III but IN SPACE!

• Locked thread