Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

Tokamak posted:

Well whatever Star Citizen currently is, it isn't fun.

Yes, but with the new and improved toilet door accessibility he can now in fact "do poo poo".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot
https://clips.twitch.tv/disco_lando/PowerfulCaribouKappaPride

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Can you tell I love this stuff?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4Um97AUqp4&t=304s

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

ManofManyAliases posted:

The point is, what fun is it if the entire game is you stuck inside of your spaceship or moon buggy? I want a sim - yes. But I also want an MMO. It'll be nice to move around, interact, do poo poo.

Generally it's a lot of fun, seeing as how that's what the vast majority of games do. They focus on the mechanics that matter and deliver a tight, focused gameplay experience designed to convey the developer's intent. All a MMO means is that there are a lot of players.

The mere presence of a feature does not make the game better. EvE had avatars walking around; it was poo poo. Star Citizen is a case study in feature creep and the myth of the Great Man. It repeats the same failure of Freelancer before it as it strives to deliver everything and repeatedly falls short.

Also I believe long term the plan for Elite is to include walking. If it's like everything else Frontier does it will be incredibly well designed and fail to provide the player with any compulsion to care.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

EvE had avatars walking around; it was poo poo.
CIG dropping Walking in Stations was probably the best thing they could do. People generally want spaceship games to be about spaceships, not drudgery inside a space station, having to loud your own cargo bay, make sure you have a space suit on, trudge through all the corriders, etc.

Also, I still love MoMA's belief that if he proves that ED is bad or Derek is a crap game dev, that still magically makes SC good and fun and assures its success and release somehow. Like, it's possible that ED is poo poo and Derek is actually a crap game dev, but that doesn't change gently caress all about how CIG handles (or doesn't) it's business practices and development.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

AP posted:

Also moment of truth, the cat thing at the top of each page is really stupid.

To prove it I give you exhibit A. The current idiot annoyed he did something dumb in the thread, is upset about it and yet still feels the crippling need for conformity while making a poo poo post on the top of this page.

and I will continue to do so

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ManofManyAliases posted:

LOL Cute. You guys still believe the player model is skinned?

The point is, what fun is it if the entire game is you stuck inside of your spaceship or moon buggy? I want a sim - yes. But I also want an MMO. It'll be nice to move around, interact, do poo poo.

edit:

Well, sure it would be nice to roam around with your character. So nice that the game will eventually have it. And, in the meantime, you can play an actual game while you wait.

I mean, how can Elite possibly hope to compete with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYOt2Ps7KMM&t=192s

(oh wait, it doesn't actually exist)

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

HycoCam posted:

Not skinned at all. Nipple jets... Or how about shooting a pilot in the head while seated?

Walking around is always my favorite thing to do in an MMO. Screw having hundreds to thousands of places to explore. Who needs things like salvage, repair, cargo, an economy--bah those things are so over-rated. My perfect MMO needs walking around and a golf swing--in space. Coincidence that EA stopped making PGA Tour in 2015? I think not!

Legit question, what is it about Walking In Spaceships that gets people so obsessed? Like what do people think they're going to do that's so exciting compared to bullet waltzes at Mach 6?

People have been trying to implement that poo poo for longer than I've been alive and at best you get Battlecruiser's janky FPS segments, I've never seen it actually be an interesting feature.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

trucutru posted:

Well, sure it would be nice to roam around with your character. So nice that the game will eventually have it. And, in the meantime, you can play an actual game while you wait.

I mean, how can Elite possibly hope to compete with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYOt2Ps7KMM&t=192s

(oh wait, it doesn't actually exist)

Forgot all about most of that, from the super HD fidelitious foreheads (who loving cares if you can see everyones pores while they spin around at 500mph)

To the totally real and existing in-engine market scene, hey how come they don't show that off live? HMMMM

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Good Dumplings posted:

Legit question, what is it about Walking In Spaceships that gets people so obsessed? Like what do people think they're going to do that's so exciting compared to bullet waltzes at Mach 6?

People have been trying to implement that poo poo for longer than I've been alive and at best you get Battlecruiser's janky FPS segments, I've never seen it actually be an interesting feature.

How can you play golf in space if you can never get out of the golf cart?!

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

I want a sim - yes. But I also want an MMO.

edit:
well you ain't going to get either, unfortunately

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

If I wanted to walk I'd get out of my computer chair.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

So I'm looking to invest in some good, long term gameplay, should I get -

1. Star Citizen or a D6 dice?

2. Star Citizen or a rubber bouncy ball?

3. Star Citizen or a Stick with string tied to it?

4. Star Citizen or Playboy Magazine?

5. Star Citizen or a Box of matches?

6. Star Citizen or a 9v battery to lick?

7. Star Citizen or four snails for racing?

8. Star Citizen or Cactus for petting?

9. Star Citizen or a parking ticket?

10. Star Citizen or a Chris Roberts non-action doll?

Any advice welcome.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

I realize it's a slow news day but seriously, we're not going to have a conversation about Ben's reinforced toilet or whatever the gently caress is going on here. Go play a video game or archer up some art or something.

Also, the cat tax thing is not/has never been mandatory, just for clarification. I won't stop people from posting a cat at the top of every page, but if you're new to the thread remember you don't have to. Not that AP is "new to the thread" or anything, just seemed worth mentioning since it was brought up.

And mark this post as the post that started the conspiracy to over throw the mod "Beet Wagon"

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

Colostomy Bag posted:

I like how the issue council was broke from the start.

set up to fail. This is starting to sound like a pattern?

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

ManofManyAliases posted:

edit:

o you mean like elite? ya it is great especially in VR. By time SC is out of pre alpha and into alpha I think elite will have
grabby hands,farming,big bonnies, whaling and even a fps!

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

Kosumo posted:

And mark this post as the post that started the conspiracy to over throw the mod "Beet Wagon"

I am mad as hell and I am not going to take it anymore!

get off my lawn!

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

LOL is that citizen making up a conspiracy about the evil reddit admins censoring SC?

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

nice self-own

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

Which character looks best sitting?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
EXPECTED RESULT
I should have climbed the ladder to an upper level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4LWaYB9y2A

EXPECTED RESULT
Normal Player sitting in the cockpit able to see outside.

EXPECTED RESULT
poster should stay attached to the wall

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

I find it ironic that the site includes how many "strokes" the various Kanji require, considering the subject matter.

Beet Wagon posted:

Her band is some shiny metal inlaid with kona wood harvested from naturally fallen trees because she's a big dumb hippie, and mine is tungsten with sharks printed on it (and she even got the guy to print my favorite kind of shark instead of the great white he normally prints on there) because I'm a big dumb idiot who loves poking dangerous animals. They were super cheap which is great because neither of us will feel that bad when we ultimately lose/break them. Similarly, the wedding itself is gonna be super low key because holy poo poo I do not understand how people spend that much time (and money!!) on one night, and also because I don't want my family anywhere near it. Just gonna go down to the keys for a weekend and relax.

Oh and also I got her four Starfarers.

Congrats, Beet!

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

TheAgent posted:

no one understands game development

you just spend a bunch of money and one day, you have a game

some people say its magic, fueled by the powers of beliefs and dreams, but I dunno about all that

I'm just happy to get whatever they can put out

This is entirely true.
I'm been in game development for nearly 20 years now, and I still don't know what I'm doing...

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Bofast posted:

Congrats, Beet!

Read his post again dude, she got the Starfarers

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Sappo569 posted:

Guess we are even closer to another studio taking over and kicking crobblers out than we thought

Again.

I don't know about that. I still haven't seen anything on the Lumberyard site to suggest that they're even aware of CIG. :D
Granted, I couldn't be arsed to look for very long, but still — you'd think that gaming superstar CRobber would be worth at least a quick blog post , or if not then at least show some joy over getting a high-profile triple-AAAA game on their list of licensees…

Tippis fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Feb 16, 2017

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Tippis posted:

you'd think that gaming superstart CRobber would be worth at least a quick blog post
Who?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Sandweed posted:

LOL is that citizen making up a conspiracy about the evil reddit admins censoring SC?
I mean, that's certainly more plausible than mmos getting filtered from the frontpage individually by the vast majority of the world who could not give a gently caress about mmo game reddits.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Ghostlight posted:

I mean, that's certainly more plausible than mmos getting filtered from the frontpage individually by the vast majority of the world who could not give a gently caress about mmo game reddits.
Shitizens honestly overestimate the reach Star Citizen actually has. The majority of gamers don't even really know about it or care to know about it.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Read his post again dude, she got the Starfarers

Well, he can borrow her Starfarers while making her feel like it's her gain, so win-win for Beet :smuggo:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/ViveLaConrad/status/832163344534548482

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Oh wow, this is great reading. The work of a sane mind.

https://sctrollsdump.wordpress.com/2017/01/27/the-refund-before-too-late-parody/

Protip for any citizens reading this thread, calling Derek a "master troll" is first of all not really an insult and also giving him way to much credit.

AH poo poo CATTE TAX

Sandweed fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Feb 16, 2017

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Here lies Derek
He never scored
(A good review)

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Tippis posted:

I don't know about that. I still haven't seen anything on the Lumberyard site to suggest that they're even aware of CIG. :D
Granted, I couldn't be arsed to look for very long, but still — you'd think that gaming superstar CRobber would be worth at least a quick blog post , or if not then at least show some joy over getting a high-profile triple-AAAA game on their list of licensees…

B-b-but they're partners...? :confuoot:

:f5:

:ohdear:

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Why a blog of /r/ds stuff? Why?

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Sandweed posted:

Oh wow, this is great reading. The work of a sane mind.

https://sctrollsdump.wordpress.com/2017/01/27/the-refund-before-too-late-parody/

Protip for any citizens reading this thread, calling Derek a "master troll" is first of all not really an insult and also giving him way to much credit.

AH poo poo CATTE TAX

Star Citizen's true white knight:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

quote:

The last few months all the SC posts on those subs have been pretty pro- SC with reasonable skeptics being listened to but naysayers getting a lot of downvotes
It's actually pretty heartening

It's me, the man who is emotionally invested in whether or not strangers like a video game on reddit!

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!

Beet Wagon posted:

It's me, the man who is emotionally invested in whether or not strangers like a video game on reddit!

Congrats Beet!

Marriage is expensive and will often drive you crazy. But still, so much better than the alternative.

StarBegotten
Mar 23, 2016

ManofManyAliases posted:

I am seeing this reaction a lot recently after FDev showcased their Commander Creator, then I realised why.

Its all Star Citizen has left. FDev has beaten SC to the punch with Elite in every other aspect so the faithful cling to the one thing they have left over it.

But I wonder...

What are you going to have left once Elite's Season 3 hits and FDev let you get out of the chair?

I am sure you'll find something ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

JugbandDude posted:

Congrats Beet!

Marriage is expensive and will often drive you crazy. But still, so much better than the alternative.

Thanks everyone, seemed prudent to lock down a dedicated turret gunner now as opposed to trying to find one on release.

Also holy poo poo, I never saw this but someone made a 20 minute "No it's totally okay guys!" video about Star Citizen never coming out back in November. This is great:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waYJT9NDWuk

Beet Wagon fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Feb 16, 2017