Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

That would be a bad idea.

This was supposed to be a lame joke, but now I'm curious. Why is this so bad?

If it was at all possible to merge states (North and South Dakota become one big Dakota for example), would that do anything to alleviate poverty?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!
All government data - which, mind you, is some of the best data out there for most broad statistics - is something you should bet getting while you can, if you need it. Doing my dissertation is going to be made possible by Canadians and hackers at this rate.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

If it was at all possible to merge states (North and South Dakota become one big Dakota for example), would that do anything to alleviate poverty?

Yes and no to a degree. I don't have time for a big effort post on this today, but I'll try to come back to it because there is some merit to the idea of getting rid of some states.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

I don't understand why North and South Dakota are separate states (pop about 1.5 million together) but California is one state (pop 38 million.)

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

If you merged New Jersey and Louisiana, that would certainly lower the poverty rate in the Newsiana.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

glowing-fish posted:

Overall, there is little correlation, and what correlation does exist is downwards. There are some clusters that make sense: Montana, Wyoming, the Dakotas
I'm not sure how useful this chart is if the numbers are from the last few years, because the economy up here (I live in North Dakota) was changed so dramatically by the recent oil boom. Assuming the boom doesn't come back, I imagine the numbers will be pretty different in a few years.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

pookel posted:

I'm not sure how useful this chart is if the numbers are from the last few years, because the economy up here (I live in North Dakota) was changed so dramatically by the recent oil boom. Assuming the boom doesn't come back, I imagine the numbers will be pretty different in a few years.

North Dakota's economy has been an anomaly the last few years, as has been the economies of the other states in the region. But this is not a new development, as extractive industries have always been a part of those states' development. But even if we discard North Dakota as a datapoint, we still have 50 datapoints that tell a similar story. States East of the Mississippi river usually have a high rural population, but very little FAR population. States West of the Mississippi usually have a lower rural population, but what rural population they do have is likely to be FAR.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

pookel posted:

The boom will come back. The same thing happened in the 80s in Williston, where they built a ton of roads and housing only to have poo poo go sour. Once the price of oil rises or Trump gives some insane incentive to drillers I'm sure the sleazeballs from elsewhere will show back up to make a quick buck and pollute the state.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

BarbarianElephant posted:

I don't understand why North and South Dakota are separate states (pop about 1.5 million together) but California is one state (pop 38 million.)

It's because of Senate votes. Admitting new states to the US was a hugely partisan affair, because it meant adding new votes to the Senate. New state admissions depended a lot on the partisan makeup of Congress and the expected voting patterns, as well as (pre-1861) the power balance between free states and slave states.

The modern state of California was created during the Compromise of 1850. The territory taken from Mexico in the Mexican-American War had been a question of intense debate between slave states (who wanted new slave states added and wanted to extend slavery to the Pacific coast) and the free states (who opposed all of those things). After considerable wheeling and dealing, the Mexican province of Alta California was chopped up into the State of California and the Territories of Utah and New Mexico (both of which would later be divided into multiple states as well). Most of that territory was largely uninhabited by Americans anyway, so practical considerations largely took a backseat to painting the map with "free" and "slave" colors, hashing out the number of senators each side would get, and kicking as many cans as possible down the road until later.

As for the Dakotas, that's far simpler. In 1889, there was a push to admit a bunch of the remaining territories to statehood, but Republicans had majorities in Congress, so Dems agreed to let the Republican-leaning Dakota territory be split into two states (and therefore four Senate votes) in exchange for the Republicans agreeing to admit some Dem-leaning states like Montana.

These divisions of states don't necessarily make sense nowadays, but any change to the number of states also means changing the composition of Congress, so it's not happening.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Main Paineframe posted:

These divisions of states don't necessarily make sense nowadays, but any change to the number of states also means changing the composition of Congress, so it's not happening.

If it doesn't make sense now, I wonder how it'll look if in the future California is 100 million people and the Dakotas are 2 million people. In the UK, we call these "rotten boroughs."

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

If it doesn't make sense now, I wonder how it'll look if in the future California is 100 million people and the Dakotas are 2 million people. In the UK, we call these "rotten boroughs."

California currently has almost 40 million people, while Wyoming (which is slightly larger than the entire UK) has a population of a bit under 600k people.

That's why there's so much confusion about the definition of "rural" - some people use it to refer to the dying industrial areas in the Midwest, while others use it to refer to massive empty states like those.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
Here is my latest quote where I just can't figure out what people are talking about, from an article about why Ohio still supports Trump:

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/ohio-trump-voters-unfazed-flynn-resignation-white-house-drama-remain-n720401

quote:

"We've never had the chance to say anything or do anything," he added.

For Leist and other voters like him, Trump represented a megaphone for their grievances and concerns about the fate of their community.

Like, am I missing something? He talks about Ohio like it is some distant, ignored hinterland, instead of the one state that Presidential candidates spend four months camping out in, fellating the voters on all their pet issues.

The town that the article focuses on, Circleville, is a town of 13,000 people, 30 miles from Columbus, Ohio. According to the census, its county, Pickaway, has a median household income of 57,000 dollars (slightly above the US Average) and a median personal income of 25,000 dollars (slightly below the US average). Its poverty rate is 12.4%, again, slightly below the US average. On paper, this looks like a middle class outer-ring suburb of a large American city in a politically important state. And yet the people feel rejected and neglected?

Like, I am not saying that there aren't greivances and problems, but what I don't get is this attitude that they are being totally neglected.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

glowing-fish posted:

Here is my latest quote where I just can't figure out what people are talking about, from an article about why Ohio still supports Trump:

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/ohio-trump-voters-unfazed-flynn-resignation-white-house-drama-remain-n720401

Like, am I missing something? He talks about Ohio like it is some distant, ignored hinterland, instead of the one state that Presidential candidates spend four months camping out in, fellating the voters on all their pet issues.

The town that the article focuses on, Circleville, is a town of 13,000 people, 30 miles from Columbus, Ohio. According to the census, its county, Pickaway, has a median household income of 57,000 dollars (slightly above the US Average) and a median personal income of 25,000 dollars (slightly below the US average). Its poverty rate is 12.4%, again, slightly below the US average. On paper, this looks like a middle class outer-ring suburb of a large American city in a politically important state. And yet the people feel rejected and neglected?

Like, I am not saying that there aren't greivances and problems, but what I don't get is this attitude that they are being totally neglected.

It's such a dumb narrative. We (both parties) spend virtually the entire campaign cycle talking to white people in the midwest about midwest problems.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

glowing-fish posted:

This is a common theme with suburban and nominally rural middle/upper middle class white Republican communities. They pine for the days of the '50s and early '60s when only their issues mattered and only they got paid attention to.

The idea that Ohio could no longer be the American bellwether and other areas could be more important demographically is completely unacceptable to them. Basically, people who used to be the only ones who mattered create resentment narratives about abandonment when they matter 70% of the time instead of 100%.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

How many godawful pieces have been written about what people [mid-sized post-industrial town] think about [issue]? And it almost always comes back to them saying something thats wantonly untrue or not based in reality.

There is, however, a good piece by Sarah Kliff on interviews with ACA Receiving Trump voters in Rural Appalachia: http://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2016/12/13/13848794/kentucky-obamacare-trump

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

glowing-fish posted:

quote:

racial makeup of the city was 95.4% White, 1.9% African American, 0.2% Native American, 0.4% Asian, 0.4% from other races, and 1.7% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.1% of the population.
Ohio is very very racist.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Ohio is very very racist.

I'm trying to think of a single positive thing I associate with "Ohio" when I hear the word, and... nothing spring to mind. I think of economic decline, stagnation, dirty industry, flat rear end boring land (say what you will about the free men on the land-types in Montana and Wyoming, at least it's very pretty there), virulent racism, complete ignorance, and a Neil Young song about students getting shot. That's about it.

I know John Glenn was from there. I assume his desire to go into space was borne of an attempt to get as far away from Ohio as physically possible.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

PT6A posted:

I'm trying to think of a single positive thing I associate with "Ohio" when I hear the word, and... nothing spring to mind. I think of economic decline, stagnation, dirty industry, flat rear end boring land, virulent racism, complete ignorance, and a Neil Young song about students getting shot. That's about it.

I know John Glenn was from there. I assume his desire to go into space was borne of an attempt to get as far away from Ohio as physically possible.

There are parts of the state that are very pretty.

I think it's a mistake to assume that places like Ohio or Wisconsin are predestined to be awful. It's just that overcoming biases and structural inequality is incredibly difficult.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

glowing-fish posted:

That's always the way, isn't it? Someone's getting quite a bit more than average, but they're absolutely convinced they're getting the least of anyone.

I don't want this to be taken in a "lol bulldoze the rurals" way, because I am a defender of these communities and of Americans' right to be different, even if it's inconvenient, even if they're jerks, but we have to divorce the attainable goal of making people secure from the impossible one of making them happy.

There are multiple different solutions to our decaying small towns, and we should probably use all of them - help people move away, help people stay, invest in infrastructure, invest in jobs. We have to do all these things because it's the right thing to do and because it makes our nation better, but we also have to accept that they will not thank us for it. "I moved to a bigger town and now there's a negro on my block. The new factory's got strangers working in it. My new job sucks. That new highway they're building bothers my cattle. That new doctor told me to lay off the soda. I'm not a millionaire yet. None of these agencies and politicians and aid workers are paying enough attention to me. Rar rar rar ragh".

A lot of people will come around if we work hard on community engagement, consulting people and involving them in the process of improving their lives. But we'll never reach everybody, and some of the things people want will always be irrational and anti-social, like "bring the coal mine back" or "I don't ever want to see a Mexican." We have to set tangible goals and not judge success by how happy people say they are, because old crabby people bitch about poo poo as a full-time job and that's always been their way and it's never going to change. Caretaking is a thankless task, that's why we make women and immigrants do it.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

glowing-fish posted:

This has been discussed at length. Trump voters are most likely to be middle class people surrounded by poverty, especially poverty that's gotten worse in the past 30 years. Someone from a solid middle class Ohio suburb surrounded by the post-industrial Ohioan hellscape is like the literal definition of a Trump voter. They're people that perceive a high level of precarity in their financial position even if they're not currently experiencing it.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Main Paineframe posted:

California currently has almost 40 million people, while Wyoming (which is slightly larger than the entire UK) has a population of a bit under 600k people.

And yet they both get two senators. That's a senator for 300k people, which is one small city in California.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope

As someone born and raised in the great state of South Dakota, I would rather die than be lumped in with those godforsaken oil-fume-addled northmen. Dammit, we have Mount Rushmore and Deadwood and the Corn Palace and I'm not going to share.

npd2004
Sep 12, 2007
And on that day, we fought for Rome.

And yet they both get two senators. That's a senator for 300k people, which is one small city in California.

The Senate has always been a non-population based system. However our House of Representatives is getting worse year by year. Initially, each Representative answered to 50,000 citizens. It's up to 700,000 now.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

npd2004 posted:

The Senate has always been a non-population based system. However our House of Representatives is getting worse year by year. Initially, each Representative answered to 50,000 citizens. It's up to 700,000 now.

As long as it isn't one Representative answering to 700 people and the next 700,000 that seems OK. I don't know how much they could get done if they had to hire a football stadium to meet.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

As long as it isn't one Representative answering to 700 people and the next 700,000 that seems OK. I don't know how much they could get done if they had to hire a football stadium to meet.

The current House can comfortably seat over a thousand representatives and that's by design. A larger Congress would be different but not necessarily worse. Representatives wouldn't be spread so thin, and congressional districts could be smaller and make it easier to elect representatives that align politically with their constituents.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

The current House can comfortably seat over a thousand representatives and that's by design. A larger Congress would be different but not necessarily worse. Representatives wouldn't be spread so thin, and congressional districts could be smaller and make it easier to elect representatives that align politically with their constituents.

otoh isn't india's version of the house so packed with delegates nothing ever passes

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

The current House can comfortably seat over a thousand representatives and that's by design.

The Real manspreading!

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Typo posted:

otoh isn't india's version of the house so packed with delegates nothing ever passes

India's population is a bit bigger than ours.

steinrokkan posted:

The Real manspreading!

Let's be fair, it's 19.5% womanspreading :v:

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
Another useful tool:

http://www.povertyusa.org/the-state-of-poverty/poverty-map-county/

I don't like the color scheme, the map goes slowly on my computer, but it is the best resource to look at poverty on a national level.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

glowing-fish posted:

Pretty much everyone feels that way, I think. It's an easy trap to fall into - since no one gets everything they want, everything they don't get is just evidence that they're being neglected by the distant government, no doubt being exploited by those dastardly politicians who are entirely in the pocket of insert boogeyman here.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Main Paineframe posted:

Pretty much everyone feels that way, I think. It's an easy trap to fall into - since no one gets everything they want, everything they don't get is just evidence that they're being neglected by the distant government, no doubt being exploited by those dastardly politicians who are entirely in the pocket of insert boogeyman here.

Everybody feels this way because, currently, it's true. Wages have been stagnating for decades. Americans with jobs are working more for less while our infrastructure crumbles. The rich are doing better than ever and productivity has gone up every year in the past 200 with the exception of like...three. The middle class is contracting and all the ways out of poverty and into it are vanishing.

It isn't a trap it's the truth. The 99% are getting totally dicked over and are realizing it. What the Republican party did was told their favorite demographics that it isn't the rich is those people that are different than you.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Typo posted:

545 Lok Sabha deputies vs 435 representatives.
245 in the Rajya Sabha for 100 senators.

For having a billion+ people the size of it doesn't seem out of control.
You may also be thinking of India's judicial system which is notably glacial and incredibly opaque.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
How do you guys feel about the fact that because of climate change and overpopulation we really really need to spin down any areas operating below a certain threshold of density and energy efficiency regardless of sentiment? Like these quasi-rural exurbs of nowhere are the most egregious, but a even a lot of denser suburban areas kinda remain to be seen what happens with a renewable grid and autonomous electric cars in terms of being able to maintain them vs. having a planet to live on.

edit: like honestly the poorer and shittier these areas are the smaller the incentives will need to be to get people to leave.

Every penny spent on transportation costs that aren't a pipeline, 100,000 ton ship, or efficient train is being spent on the end of the world.

shovelbum fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Feb 16, 2017

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

shovelbum posted:

How do you guys feel about the fact that because of climate change and overpopulation we really really need to spin down any areas operating below a certain threshold of density and energy efficiency regardless of sentiment? Like these quasi-rural exurbs of nowhere are the most egregious, but a even a lot of denser suburban areas kinda remain to be seen what happens with a renewable grid and autonomous electric cars in terms of being able to maintain them vs. having a planet to live on.

edit: like honestly the poorer and shittier these areas are the smaller the incentives will need to be to get people to leave.

Every penny spent on transportation costs that aren't a pipeline, 100,000 ton ship, or efficient train is being spent on the end of the world.

Right but there's some sort of rugged, savagely noble charm to these outlanders. While their habitat is outright unsustainable at their currently desired standard of living, I think the argument for not drawing them into higher density areas is basically how quaint the life is.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

FAUXTON posted:

Right but there's some sort of rugged, savagely noble charm to these outlanders. While their habitat is outright unsustainable at their currently desired standard of living, I think the argument for not drawing them into higher density areas is basically how quaint the life is.

That's not really an argument when we're looking at oxygen generation in the biosphere falling below consumption inside our lifetimes due to plankton die-offs.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

FAUXTON posted:

Diversity of lifestyle and culture is important in a country. Rural people add a lot to the country, not just because they are "quaint". It's hard to like the xenophobia, but that doesn't mean they should be dispatched to a re-education Starbucks to learn how to live in a Civilized fashion.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

shovelbum posted:

Is this like the bizarro opposite version of the dark green movement?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Is this like the bizarro opposite version of the dark green movement?

Start from
1) A sense of urgency about climate change
2) The idea that standard of living must be maintained bc. in a dark green world we'd all be cavemen but the rich would live in utopia because of course they would and despite its many ills industrial society does offer the promise of excellent medicine, sanitation, etc. for the most people. It scales well, you know?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

FAUXTON posted:

You city dwelling assholes are killing the planet by refusing to plug into the matrix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

steinrokkan posted:

You city dwelling assholes are killing the planet by refusing to plug into the matrix.

There is a point of diminishing returns where increased density isn't really necessary for environmental reasons. If people want to live excessively close together they should feel free to but we shouldn't incentivize that either.

• Locked thread