Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

DalaranJ posted:

He's pretty good for a healer. But probably just take another damage character instead?

Literally hitler

Edit: my 5-star dudes (all five of them) are all finally leve 40, which means I'm back to chilling at 50 stamina permanently. Other than running training tower for badges occasionally and the daily maps (moot for now since I got them all, but still worth checking), is there anything worth using the stamina on that wouldn't be a total waste?

a crisp refreshing Moxie fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Feb 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
the resurrection passive doesn't count as losing a unit for your score

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

DalaranJ posted:

He's pretty good for a healer. But probably just take another damage character instead?

I know this is a joke, but I unironically think that healers are pretty good for people who don't want to whale out; they've given enough orbs that most people probably have 1-2 really good units, but upgrading to a 4 good unit team is a longer or more expensive haul than just running a healer and a dancer to get the most out of your best units.

Yeah but he can't beat Takumi or Linde.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Is a -Def +Res Marth a reasonable unit?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

DalaranJ posted:

He does plenty of damage in Drifters.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

akulanization posted:

I know this is a joke, but I unironically think that healers are pretty good for people who don't want to whale out; they've given enough orbs that most people probably have 1-2 really good units, but upgrading to a 4 good unit team is a longer or more expensive haul than just running a healer and a dancer to get the most out of your best units.

Yes, but they also lower your score significantly by having terrible stats overall.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
https://twitter.com/theprinceofiris/status/831952778545266689

those 5* focus chars seem pretty random

General Morden fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Feb 16, 2017

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Clarste posted:

Yes, but they also lower your score significantly by having terrible stats overall.

Most of them are only -5-7 overall stats vs a mage or something. I mean that matters if you're trying for top 1000 arena, but I feel like there are a lot of people that could still benefit from just stringing together 7 wins on advanced.

But I legit don't understand why you'd choose those characters for a focus, at most one of them is a 5* exclusive.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
can you imagine getting multiple five star Maria? A focus healer sounds terrible.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

akulanization posted:

But I legit don't understand why you'd choose those characters for a focus, at most one of them is a 5* exclusive.

I like the idea of giving out bonus 5* versions of characters who can't normally be rolled as 5*. It just seems like a good thing to me, for the health of the game and for more characters to get used at all. Like, no one's going to spend 20k feathers on Fir unless she's their waifu, but if you randomly got one maybe you'd try her out.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Feb 16, 2017

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Clarste posted:

I like the idea of giving out bonus 5* versions of characters who can't normally be rolled as 5*. It just seems like a good thing to me, for the health of the game and for more characters to get used at all. Like, no one's going to spend 20k feathers on Fir unless she's they're waifu, but if you randomly got one maybe you'd try her out.

I agree, but at the same time you need some rare units in the mix to make people want to draw on the banner and not hoard their orbs. On the first 2 banners you could roll Camilla, Roy, and Robin as 3-4 star units, and that might be too few going forward but it's not far off from the right number.

Tired Moritz posted:

can you imagine getting multiple five star Maria? A focus healer sounds terrible.

I'd be okay with a focus healer, I like healers but actually promoting them to 5* feels like such a waste.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Make an event where the reward is a random 5* from the entire pool of heroes. Some people get lucky and get something good, but at the very least everyone gets something decent worth playing with.

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013
Anyone have any thoughts about whether a Robin with balanced Def and Res is better or worse than a Robin with low Res but high Def? Can't choose which gets merged into which.

I mean, balanced defensive stats is kinda useful given how random enemy damage types can be and how you can't choose setup, but high Def Robin is better for anti-Takumi and other greys.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Shinji117 posted:

Anyone have any thoughts about whether a Robin with balanced Def and Res is better or worse than a Robin with low Res but high Def? Can't choose which gets merged into which.

I mean, balanced defensive stats is kinda useful given how random enemy damage types can be and how you can't choose setup, but high Def Robin is better for anti-Takumi and other greys.

I would play to his strengths, personally. Robin's gonna die to a Nino regardless of how much RES he has (and maybe Julia? I dunno), so make him better at the things you're actually going to be doing with him.

I mean, are you tanking dragons with him?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
My personal guess is that that's the image for the generic "no event" gacha, and it displays the crap you're likely to pull

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

lol @ Fir being a banner character. Guess not every banner's characters can be winners.

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

Clarste posted:

I would play to his strengths, personally. Robin's gonna die to a Nino regardless of how much RES he has (and maybe Julia? I dunno), so make him better at the things you're actually going to be doing with him.

I mean, are you tanking dragons with him?

Er, not really. Should I be? I mostly assassinate Dragons with Lucina. Robin is currently my Red Sword/Grey Unit killer who sometimes needs an Azura boost to make sure the enemy is dead.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Shinji117 posted:

Er, not really. Should I be? I mostly assassinate Dragons with Lucina. Robin is currently my Red Sword/Grey Unit killer who sometimes needs an Azura boost to make sure the enemy is dead.

Well, I don't have a good Robin so I wouldn't know how to use him. But I can't really imagine much of a need for him to engage anything that does magical damage.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Philip Rivers posted:

Make an event where the reward is a random 5* from the entire pool of heroes. Some people get lucky and get something good, but at the very least everyone gets something decent worth playing with.

Have people not been getting anything usable from the 200 free stones available so far?

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Since my pulls that got me nothing from this banner but DID give me Camilla and Tharja and Robin, my new Arena team that I've been training today is doing amazing. 4* Robin, Camilla, and Tharja with a 5* Abel are smoking people in the arena. Maybe that will change when everyone is 5* 40 but they're all between 25-32 so that might be giving me an advantage.

I might have to change a bit because teams without swordlords give me the most trouble.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Is there any sort of rhyme or reason to whether you get greater or lesser badges when clearing Tenth Stratum?

Also, assuming you're going to upgrade a character, is the discount you get for merging the same as you get for sending a hero home?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Oh cool a robin cinematic

3*

*fart*

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

tithin posted:

Oh cool a robin cinematic

3*

*fart*

Only 22k feathers to upgrade all the way.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Does anyone know what kinds of scores it takes to get into the top 1000 of arena? Like, numerically. DId the guy who got number 1 last week brag about it on twitter or anything?

Edit: I am currently in the arena twilight zone where I regularly run into Marth+6.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Feb 16, 2017

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'm actually having some semblance of fun training up my Cavalry team - Stahl/Frederick/Jagen/Clarine. I should probably just go ahead and promote Gunter to 4* for Hone Cavalry, but I've been getting decent mileage from my current set so far, and I can swap in Peri later on. Trees are a pain and a half though, and I'd actually like to pull an Elise to swap into Clarine.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

How do you even get feathers? I just tend to do 7 rounds of arena and get 1k feathers from it every so often

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

tithin posted:

How do you even get feathers? I just tend to do 7 rounds of arena and get 1k feathers from it every so often

There are three ways right now:
  • Get up to 15 per day by greeting friends and such (talk to the people in your lobby who have hearts surrounding them). You get more the more friends you have, but it caps out pretty low and is mostly irrelevant. Just send out random invites to people you fight in the Arena.
  • There are Arena quests that award 1000 feathers each (presumably monthly, although I guess they could theoretically be one-time only). These are based on total arena wins. You need 20+40+80=140 total wins to get all 6000 feathers a month. At least half of those will need to be against Intermediate opponents or higher. Just check the quest page for details, but realize it has Hard and Lunatic versions unlocked after you complete all the others.
  • Every week on Tuesday the Arena season ends. You get awarded feathers based on the highest score you reached, ie: the number of points you earned during a single win streak, capping at at 7 wins. Points are awarded based on how many units survived, so try not to suicide your guys, even in arena. You get some feathers just from reaching certain point values, but you get way more if you happen to be in the top 100,000 players, with better rewards for ranking higher. There's also a defense ranking, which means someone chose to fight your 1st team (the one in the leftmost slot of the Edit Teams screen) and lost. You just need to have caused at least one good loss to get a good defense score. When you're unranked, you can get around 2000 feathers a week like this. If you do really well, it can be closer to 5000.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Oh my god give me a motherfucking "undo" button for commands in this game. My latest "yes I read your tap to select and move this character as a confirmation to end this other character's turn or move where you didn't tap and immediately confirm it to end someone's turn" just had me move Tiki one space short of where I was tapping, putting her in Takumi's range so that he could instantly kill her from full HP on the enemy turn and break my pvp streak.

Touchscreen controls are the loving worst.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

Oh my god give me a motherfucking "undo" button for commands in this game. My latest "yes I read your tap to select and move this character as a confirmation to end this other character's turn or move where you didn't tap and immediately confirm it to end someone's turn" just had me move Tiki one space short of where I was tapping, putting her in Takumi's range so that he could instantly kill her from full HP on the enemy turn and break my pvp streak.

Touchscreen controls are the loving worst.

Change confirm to tap instead of auto in the settings.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Apparently 4526 points is rank 1003 right now. So close, yet so far. That's probably about the limit for non-whales.

Obviously my rank will go down further over the course of the week though.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
You get more arena points for having higher statted units, so a team of 4 5* heavy knights will probably get the most points.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

A) They all have to be 5*, or else they lose like 10 total stat points. Getting a team of all 5* armor knights seems whale-ish to me right now. And B) you still have to win without losing anyone, which might be difficult when it's hard to maneuver. Most of them can't even move past each other.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Clarste posted:

A) They all have to be 5*, or else they lose like 10 total stat points. Getting a team of all 5* armor knights seems whale-ish to me right now. And B) you still have to win without losing anyone, which might be difficult when it's hard to maneuver. Most of them can't even move past each other.

No one said min/maxing would be easy.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Clarste posted:

I like the idea of giving out bonus 5* versions of characters who can't normally be rolled as 5*. It just seems like a good thing to me, for the health of the game and for more characters to get used at all. Like, no one's going to spend 20k feathers on Fir unless she's their waifu, but if you randomly got one maybe you'd try her out.

It's something FF:Brave Exvius does that I really like. Every so often they take an old character that maxed out at 5* and give it a shiny new 6* form. A lot of times it's a pretty negligable upgrade, a poo poo character stays poo poo. But in some cases, like the recent update and Firion, it turns a character that you might never have even glanced at into a potential powerhouse that you won't have to spend forever rolling and hoping to get because they're fairly common and drop at basic 3* levels rather than having to be rolled at ridiculous base 5* rates with the game's bullshit broken rolls.

Given how this game works though, a 5* Fir probably won't be a game changer unless they give her a cool skill or something, but who knows what will come out in the future.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The balance is a lot simpler so a single new skill cam radically change a character. Like what if they gave stahl reverse lance tomorrow.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
I figured that banner was either a "free lovely hero per day" draw or a beginner's draw at a discount with a guaranteed 5* or something.

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
Found out my Jeorge and Eirika are -atk IV. At least Jeorge is +res. Takes out non Robin mages pretty easy. Now I just need a anti-Robin unit. The best I got is 4* Nino with +atk/-res. Eirika/Nino seems pretty broken so I'm thinking about promoting Nino to 5*. If I can get Azura my team would be perfect.

I wish I could just nintendo eshop credit for this game. I got $23 in credit lying around doing nothing I was suppose to use for Smash 4 DLC but got tired of the game before it came out. I'm getting my last 20 orb pull before the new banner. I got enough trash Fir and Hawkeye pulls that I don't want to waste a focus on them.

For blues right now, I got +atk/-HP Cordelia or +spd/-res Sully. Both wreck reds so it's Sully's mobility/ arrow resistance versus Cordelia brave lance.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Ooh, ooh! I got a really nice pull just now:

I was really hoping to get Eirika, and look! There she is! :D That's my second 5*. My first was Abel.

She's going right on my main team along with Abel and Nino. For my fourth... I don't really have anyone amazing. Olivia maybe? Got a 3* of her. I also have a bunch of healers: Maria, Sakura, and now Serra.

Silver Falcon fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Feb 16, 2017

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Olivia and Nino work really well together because you can dance and pull and buff and nuke with Gronnblade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
If I had a dollar for the number of times I've pulled Hinata's punchable face, I'd have enough dosh to buy more orbs and pull more loving Hinatas.