Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

What a concept

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

CubsWoo posted:

If you're going to figure out how to rehab a guy like Bray you really couldn't have done much more to make him a credible champion

Winning a lot (even as a heel) and winning cleanly over other winners makes a strong character? Imagine

What a bizarre concept, it'll never catch on!

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I do feel the need to give WWE a little credit here, Bray has only been pinned clean once since Mania, I believe and he's won a WHOLE bunch since the brand split. Pinned New Day, pinned Randy, pinned Roman, won the tag titles and most important of all, pinned Kane.

This feels sudden, but Bray's actually been doing well for himself for quite a while. Clearly this is the Rock Rub at work.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Lana said in an interview that the hotel room segment with Rusev, Lana and Enzo from a couple months ago was fully directed by HHH

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I'm praying this isn't just to build up a good credible opponent for Orton come WM and more to actually build someone up period. How often does the winner of the Royal Rumble lose his championship bid?

Besides of course the last few wherein the rules were all hosed like Batista sharing his match with Bryan and Roman losing the belt in the actual Rumble.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MinibarMatchman posted:

I'm praying this isn't just to build up a good credible opponent for Orton come WM and more to actually build someone up period. How often does the winner of the Royal Rumble lose his championship bid?

Besides of course the last few wherein the rules were all hosed like Batista sharing his match with Bryan and Roman losing the belt in the actual Rumble.

The last and only other time the RR winner refused the WM ME was Vince in 1999 at which point Commissioner HBK ruled that it would go the runner up.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Chris James 2 posted:

Lana said in an interview that the hotel room segment with Rusev, Lana and Enzo from a couple months ago was fully directed by HHH

No, that doesn't seem correct. I didn't like it, so Vince and Dunn did it.

John Dudebro
Dec 3, 2013

Out of the last decade of Rumbles, only three guys actually won their Mania match - John Cena (in his second win), Sheamus, and Undertaker. HHH (technically), Roman, Batista, Del Rio, Edge, Orton, and Cena #1 all lost.

So I guess the odds are with Bray on this one?

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chris James 2 posted:

Stephanie and HHH are going to kill the WWE and im going to laugh.

Vaguido
Feb 22, 2011

When the drug test comes back positive for performance enhancing drugs.

Chris James 2 posted:

I want to believe that Triple H wants to put other wrestlers through degrading poo poo because he had to pretend to gently caress a corpse that one time.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
One of the benefits of having so many hours of content is that no matter how badly someone has been booked in the past, it's not really difficult to paper over it and build a guy back up to credibility in a relatively short amount of time. Bray Wyatt is a great display of this.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

MinibarMatchman posted:

The Rock in 2000. Kind of. He had to fight Big Show who disputed his victory, and then lost his number one contendership status at No Way Out. Which then led to the mediocre bag of shite that was Wrestlemania 16.

On the bright side, we got Backlash a month later which has one of the best endings to a PPV I've ever seen in my life, so it all worked out fine in the end.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

I have a memory of actually really liking that hotel segment and being really surprised that a lot of people didn't. I mean, everything after that and the feud as a whole was complete garbage, I'm not debating that, I just thought the hotel beat down was good.

I mean, you had a sensible setup: Cass plays a prank in Enzo and leaves him naked in the hallway, Enzo keeps his cool despite the embarrassment, runs into Lana, Rusev reacts poorly and without bothering to ask what the hell is happening because he's evil, and this leads to a pointlessly elaborate and vindictive revenge because again, he's evil.

Lana sets out the honey trap, Enzo falls into it because Lana is crazy hot even though at every step in the process he's repeating how this is a bad idea and he shouldn't be doing this, and of course the trap gets sprung and he gets caught. Rusev beats him to an absurdly disproportionate degree and then leaves him bleeding on the carpet while he goes into the room where Lana in waiting to "celebrate".

I guess I just don't get what people didn't like about it. It all makes perfect sense for the characters, it makes sense as a story, Enzo is sympathetic in the scenario because the initial incident wasn't his fault, and he's being deliberately tempted and doesnt have the will to resist it even though he's innocent. Rusev comes off as both a huge badass for the savagery of the beating and amazingly heelish and petty for doing it. Lana is a prop, which is lame I agree, but at the time I remember thinking that since she's the brains of the operation and a femme fatale this must have all been her idea to begin with, which at least makes her matter since she's the motivating force behind the story. It didn't play out that way of course, but at the time we didn't know that.

I dunno, I liked it. It went off a succession of cliffs every single week after that and never stopped getting worse no matter how low it went, but still. I'd be happy to hear reason why I'm wrong that I might be missing.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Enzo flashed a married woman and tried to play it cool despite her husbands protests. Afterwards he continued to make sexual comments to the same woman and then he got his rear end kicked so he made his giant of a friend fight his battles from him.

Enzo and Cass are trash and Handsome Rusev did nothing wrong.

DoctorGonzo fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Feb 16, 2017

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Yeah that was the problem, everyone came out of that looking like a jerk but more so Enzo, plus it was weird that he had zero qualms with trying to gently caress her until he actually got in the room, which seemed too contrived IMO.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

that segment was straight up ridiculous. 'im just gonna take my pants off here but then i gotta go, tee hee'

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Zack strikes me as one of the few wrestlers I would actually want to hang out with.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Yeah that was the problem, everyone came out of that looking like a jerk but more so Enzo, plus it was weird that he had zero qualms with trying to gently caress her until he actually got in the room, which seemed too contrived IMO.

The second part I can agree with, I guess I just don't follow why Enzo was a jerk when he "flashed" Lana because he was the victim of what was supposed to be a typical dorm buddies prank that fits their Jersey Shore Manchikdren gimmick perfectly. I mean, he made a comment to her, but he was covering humiliation with bravado, which is also super in character for Enzo.

He was a jerk for going to the hotel I guess, but he was invited by the world's hottest woman, is the fact that he didn't think until it was too late super surprising?

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...
I could see this going either way, but was it a segment where HHH produced it to be what he wanted it to be or what he thought Vince would want?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Was vince out from that surgery when the segment happened?

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Muddy Burphy posted:

I could see this going either way, but was it a segment where HHH produced it to be what he wanted it to be or what he thought Vince would want?

This was the first thing that popped in my head too.

Also Sanguinia is right, the INITIAL segment with Enzo was just Rusev being a jerk. Problem is it didn't stay there.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Wouldn't recommend watching it but Lana is every stars in their eyes actress type ever: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQxXcpoFrjs

Vince and Dusty Rhodes were massive Game of Thrones fans.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Rusev and Lana unboxing that wwe game is better than everythng Enzo and Cass have ever done.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

She's even got the lantern.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

DoctorGonzo posted:

Rusev and Lana unboxing that wwe game is better than everythng Enzo and Cass have ever done.

Hahaha can't believe I've never seen this. "Sami Zayn is 87?! Are you kidding me? And I have 86. Who's responsible for this?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZlQ2jpQtHU

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Balor's parents are some of the finest people you'd ever want to meet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeUG3IKy3gA

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I misread that as Finnest.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

keevo posted:

Hahaha can't believe I've never seen this. "Sami Zayn is 87?! Are you kidding me? And I have 86. Who's responsible for this?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZlQ2jpQtHU

I died when Lana pointed out he's the same as Sasha Banks

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Enzo repeatedly sexually harassed a married woman, and then thought that said sexual harassment was going to result in him getting lucky. He's dumb and an rear end in a top hat, neither of which are good babyface traits.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I'm a Men's Rights Activist, and a PUA.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I think it was just written and performed awkwardly like many a segment in wrestling

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Julio Cruz posted:

Enzo repeatedly sexually harassed a married woman, and then thought that said sexual harassment was going to result in him getting lucky. He's dumb and an rear end in a top hat, neither of which are good babyface traits.

After the first segment yes. The first segment was more just him being awkward in an uncomfortable situation he didn't put himself in.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
HHH directing it is one thing, what actually matters to me is if he wrote the thing from top to bottom too. Like, if he was just going by an outline that had to involve 1) Enzo going into Lana's room, 2) Enzo stripping, 3) Rusev beating the absolute piss out of him, there's not a lot of ways you can shine that turd up.

HHH directing it but not writing it would explain the bizarre contradictory tone of the whole thing where Enzo is trying to leave and constantly saying he shouldn't be here, but he never does leave, like the skit is desperately trying to remind you he's a babyface, despite his actions. It would also explain Ric Flair's involvement!

MJeff fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Feb 16, 2017

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

VJeff posted:

I do feel the need to give WWE a little credit here, Bray has only been pinned clean once since Mania, I believe and he's won a WHOLE bunch since the brand split. Pinned New Day, pinned Randy, pinned Roman, won the tag titles and most important of all, pinned Kane.

This feels sudden, but Bray's actually been doing well for himself for quite a while. Clearly this is the Rock Rub at work.

Really? Just one loss? It felt like he kept getting jobbed to Kane for a bit on Smackdown. Did that not happen? Or did those end with gently caress finishes?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Phenix Rising posted:

Really? Just one loss? It felt like he kept getting jobbed to Kane for a bit on Smackdown. Did that not happen? Or did those end with gently caress finishes?

He lost to Kane at Backlash, but that was definitely not clean. Randy hobbled out, gave Bray an RKO, then Kane gave him a chokeslam.

He also lost to Kane by countout on SmackDown when he walked out on a match to go visit Randy's Spooky Funhouse.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Phenix Rising posted:

Looking at it, his only one-on-one losses not in a dark match or a house show was the one to Kane. Beyond that, he lost in a few multiman matches (not eating the pin) and tag matches (again, not eating the pin. Randy Orton ate the pin against AA)

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
i thought the Enzo segment was good, because 1) enzo got beat up 2)

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

i love the way enzo botches, though, it's like he knows he's loving up but puts everything into it and fucks up in earnest.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

quote:

As seen on Tuesday’s episode of SmackDown Live, Bray Wyatt pinned John Cena to retain his WWE Title for the second time on a row. Sean Waltman, who was backstage at SmackDown this past week in Anaheim, California, revealed on his recent podcast episode that it was actually Cena’s idea to put Wyatt over at Tuesday’s event.

“I’m not sure what the finish was supposed to be for the match last night. But I know this for a fact, that John Cena insisted on putting Bray Wyatt over again last night, insisted on it. That’s not just a rumor.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

Lodin posted:

Zack strikes me as one of the few wrestlers I would actually want to hang out with.

Zach & Cody Rhodes were on Jerichos podcast a few months ago talking about how they tour all the big theme parks every year, they both seemed like pretty legit dudes.

• Locked thread