Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
i hate posting my own twitter but I wanted to finally answer a burning question of the SAS NBA goos and views thread:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

remember when nate rob blocked yao ming

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kt5pOPn_0Ik

I'm sad now

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

RaySmuckles posted:

warriors just obliterated the kings

17-2 run in like 3 minutes

I'm so sad that Anthony Tolliver is our stretch 4 because man does he turn the ball over a lot when not shooting open jump shots

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
I didn't get to watch any basketball tonight save for the first half of CLE/IND, which ones should i go back in time to watch?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

code:
Player			TDs 	 Season
Oscar Robertson		41	 1961-62
Wilt Chamberlain	31 	 1967-68
Russell Westbrook	27	 2016-17
RW reaching #2 seems like a safe bet. He'd need 15 TDs in 25 games to reach #1 though.

Brook Lopez had an unprecedented 8 blocks and six 3P shots made. Versatility. :discourse:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Zogo posted:

code:

Player			TDs 	 Season
Oscar Robertson		41	 1961-62
Wilt Chamberlain	31 	 1967-68
Russell Westbrook	27	 2016-17

RW reaching #2 seems like a safe bet. He'd need 15 TDs in 25 games to reach #1 though.

Brook Lopez had an unprecedented 8 blocks and six 3P shots made. Versatility. :discourse:

Brook and Marc Gasol's emergence as outside threats is a really underrated storyline this season. It's not like they slowly increased their range or went through some growing pains as they tried out a three point shot. They just had an offseason and suddenly drill threes now like it's normal.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Brolander posted:

I didn't get to watch any basketball tonight save for the first half of CLE/IND, which ones should i go back in time to watch?

Pels Grizz was better than it had any right to be.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
isaiah thomas might be the only player i've ever seen that's shorter than the myriad of reports around him

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
What happened to your av buddy 😓

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

Guessing Falcons fan plus the whole thing where their new stadium looks like the design was based on goatse.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

RaySmuckles posted:

isaiah thomas might be the only player i've ever seen that's shorter than the myriad of reports around him

Yeah, no way he's 5'9".

Also, Melo as Love replacement? Get the gently caress out.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Time posted:

remember when nate rob blocked yao ming

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kt5pOPn_0Ik

I'm sad now

I've heard of losing face but this is ridiculous!

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Brolander posted:

The fourth quarter of Toronto-Charlotte, where Delon Wright and Jakub Poeltl play all 12 minutes.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Hand Knit posted:

The fourth quarter of Toronto-Charlotte, where Delon Wright and Jakub Poeltl play all 12 minutes.

Seriously? How was that?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

drat Willie, definition of going up soft

Henchman of Santa posted:

Brook and Marc Gasol's emergence as outside threats is a really underrated storyline this season. It's not like they slowly increased their range or went through some growing pains as they tried out a three point shot. They just had an offseason and suddenly drill threes now like it's normal.

Cousins did the same thing last year, then upped his makes 50% again this year. Now we have KAT, Gasol, DMC, Lopez, Kristaps, Embiid, and Dirk sometimes playing at the 5. Prior to that all the 5s with range were defensive liabilities. There are only three exceptions I can think of: Bosh just before his heart started pumping mud, Raef LaFrentz, and Jack fucken Sikma. Sikma did almost the exact same move - he never took threes at all, until suddenly his last three years in the league he took 4 a game and hit in the mid to upper .30s, in an era where no one took threes, let alone centers. His defense had given out by then, but earlier in his career he had led the league in DRB, DRB%, and DWS (twice).

What I'm saying is, in 2017, Raef LaFrentz and Jack Sikma are game changing all stars.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The knicks wish zingus was a fulltime 5

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

DeimosRising posted:

drat Willie, definition of going up soft

Cousins did the same thing last year, then upped his makes 50% again this year. Now we have KAT, Gasol, DMC, Lopez, Kristaps, Embiid, and Dirk sometimes playing at the 5. Prior to that all the 5s with range were defensive liabilities. There are only three exceptions I can think of: Bosh just before his heart started pumping mud, Raef LaFrentz, and Jack fucken Sikma. Sikma did almost the exact same move - he never took threes at all, until suddenly his last three years in the league he took 4 a game and hit in the mid to upper .30s, in an era where no one took threes, let alone centers. His defense had given out by then, but earlier in his career he had led the league in DRB, DRB%, and DWS (twice).

What I'm saying is, in 2017, Raef LaFrentz and Jack Sikma are game changing all stars.

Bill Laimbeer was also ahead of his time in that department.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Zingus

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Porzingis mostly plays with Noah or Hernangomez, both pretty traditional centers. When he plays with O'Quinn I guess you could call Porzingis the 5, but I am willing to bet O'Quinn is defending the 5 more than Porzingis is.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Sam Perkins would not hesitate to bring the chopper out. Was averaging like 5 threes a game in the mid 90s as the Sonics C. Rae's Lafrentz can gargle these nards

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
The Knicks' defensive scheme is everyone on the floor has to cover for Melo and Rose because their contracts are too valuable to risk playing defense.

i hate my teeeeeeeaaaammm

also people are slightly too excited about Hernangomez I think. 22 year old rookie on his way to maybe becoming a halfway decent backup.

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Feb 16, 2017

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Knicks? More like the knocks as in I'd rather be knocked out than watch the knicks play basketball

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Knockerbickers Beskatbell Kuckersockers

edit: the badass poo poo LeBron should have said 15 years ago:
https://twitter.com/JMcDonald_SAEN/status/832014788830035968

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Feb 16, 2017

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
I don't think Porzingis is ever going to have the frame to be a full-time Center.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Lockback posted:

Porzingis mostly plays with Noah or Hernangomez, both pretty traditional centers. When he plays with O'Quinn I guess you could call Porzingis the 5, but I am willing to bet O'Quinn is defending the 5 more than Porzingis is.

A good point, but I was merely appreciating Tae's new spelling of Zingus.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

chunkles posted:

What happened to your av buddy 😓

well, someone gave me the greatest av in the history of sports even though I'm not a pats fan. the 5 rings are perfect

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I don't want to sound like a hater but I agree with the twitter guys I'd love to replace the celebrity all-star game with a Chase-Down Block On Steph Curry where straps on his Chefs and dribbles his weak rear end from half court

https://streamable.com/dhng

edit: second view
https://vine.co/v/iLTvzmrdQLH
https://vine.co/v/iLTQWPLhAVi

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Feb 16, 2017

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

EvanTH posted:

The Knicks' defensive scheme is everyone on the floor has to cover for Melo and Rose because their contracts are too valuable to risk playing defense.

i hate my teeeeeeeaaaammm

also people are slightly too excited about Hernangomez I think. 22 year old rookie on his way to maybe becoming a halfway decent backup.

Billy is looking like a legit starter. What a pleasant pick up, especially considering this team was starving for rebounders who aren't Noah. Too bad he sucks at defense and is kind of a post only guy on offense. Still though, anythings better than Noah.

I wish the Knicks would trade rose's expiring deal like the magic did with ibaka

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Anyone else want more Bryan Colangelo hot takes

http://www.libertyballers.com/2017/...own-joel-embiid

quote:

It’s not even trade scenarios. It’s a trade scenario that involves the Pelicans. Nothing has really changed since nine days ago when The Vertical’s Adrian Wojnarowski reported the Pelicans were “engaged on several fronts to land a center,” including Okafor. Woj reported the Pelicans want to include a large salary (likely Alexis Ajinca), but the Sixers don’t want to take that on, which a source confirmed to me. Those negotiations are stuck in gridlock. The shelving of Okafor was likely meant to flush out the best offers around the league, sources speculate.

No one is buying what Bryan Colangelo is selling: a one-dimensional center who can’t defend, rebound, or pass on a roster loaded with big men.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Eric Gordon last season vs this season: https://twitter.com/GrahamMcQueen/status/832094737654022144

Threes are a larger part of his offense now and he is taking two more shots per game.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Doltos posted:

Billy is looking like a legit starter. What a pleasant pick up, especially considering this team was starving for rebounders who aren't Noah. Too bad he sucks at defense and is kind of a post only guy on offense. Still though, anythings better than Noah.

I wish the Knicks would trade rose's expiring deal like the magic did with ibaka

I still really like everything Noah does except 1) be injured all the time 2) third worst TS% on the team :( did he reinjure his arms or something why was he airballing free throws?

His following Rose to the rim to collect his many moronic layup attempts almost worked as an offensive strategy except he stopped being able to jump and none of his tips would go in

I got empathic mirror neuron pain watching him clap then force himself to hustle runback every play but I'd way rather he be out there than Melo teaching Porzingis the way to play is to stop the ball for a quick midrange ISO

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

Ajinca is not a large contract and would need to be included in the deal just for it to be able to work.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Jota posted:

Ajinca is not a large contract and would need to be included in the deal just for it to be able to work.

Yeah he hosed that detail up; Asik is the contract no one wants.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Listen, I know the Magic and Billy King are bad gms, but Dell Demps giving Amir Asik nearly 5 years/60 million with a player option is some underrated worst contract in the nba

(He still has 3 more years after this season)

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Seriously? How was that?

The Raptors were getting killed so Casey ran Lowry/Demarre/Joseph/Delon/Poeltl to start the quarter and they kept working so they kept playing.

Three point guard lineups are the new inefficiency.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Delon Wright seems good. I forgot he existed last year but it's cool seeing him in the rotation.

E: the Ringer just put up a long form article calling out Casey. Yesssss

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Feb 16, 2017

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I'm all for letting Casey go but I'm unsure if there's anybody out there right now who's an attractive replacement.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Raptors seem like a team that could benefit from an innovative "pace and space" offense.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Tae posted:

Listen, I know the Magic and Billy King are bad gms, but Dell Demps giving Amir Asik nearly 5 years/60 million with a player option is some underrated worst contract in the nba

(He still has 3 more years after this season)

Do you do this on purpose?

Also, it is a team option, not a player option and 44m is guaranteed. http://www.spotrac.com/nba/new-orleans-pelicans/omer-asik-7110/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Like, seriously, Tae only got half of the correct letters in Omer's first name. And he was on Tae's favorite team for multiple years! Amir and Omer aren't even pronounced close to the same.

• Locked thread