Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

SeANMcBAY posted:

Sega should let him write story for a game.

he's an artist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

beep by grandpa posted:

I don't know what the other games are but Sanic racing transformed actually owns harder than it has any right to, moreso than any mario kart I've played in years. I bought it as a goof cause I saw Ulala was in it and drifted around one turn in my first race and was like Ummmmmmmmmmmmm this owns?? I think I put 50+ hours into it lol (I got every chieve cause that's what Sonic would want :c00l: )

i wear my welcome to victory lane achievement with honour

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Damnit!

It's 2017 and there is NO WAY to legally play all the classic sonic games on any mobile device.

Does this mean we live in a dystopia?

This poster thinks we do...

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011
Didn't they do a Sonic 1-3&K collection on DS? No CD, but that's what your phone is for.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

TFRazorsaw posted:

he's an artist

He wrote a very compelling Sonic story eight years ago

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

MikeJF posted:

Yeah, the original Sonic All-Stars racing game was kinda lovely but they really knocked it out of the park with Transformed. It's a pity it's just seen as just another generic Mario Kart clone.

the first sonic & sega all stars racing is really good as well actually

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

TFRazorsaw posted:

he's an artist

He wrote and drew his own comic called Diesel that I think has sold pretty well

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Macaluso posted:

Per his Tumblr, it's on sale on Amazon. I just ordered a copy because I really liked Sonic Mega Drive.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1608869075/

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

The story description looks a lot like Rodea the Sky Soldier.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

beep by grandpa posted:

Damnit!

It's 2017 and there is NO WAY to legally play all the classic sonic games on any mobile device.

Does this mean we live in a dystopia?

This poster thinks we do...

Why is it that so many Sonic "collections" have Sonics 1-3 and Sonic & Knuckles but don't give you any way to play S3&K, S2&K, or Blue Sphere?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

VikingofRock posted:

Why is it that so many Sonic "collections" have Sonics 1-3 and Sonic & Knuckles but don't give you any way to play S3&K, S2&K, or Blue Sphere?

The lock on technology is a big reason. Sonic and Knuckles while containing most of the game data for the extra games still pulls some data from the attached cartridges. It requires modifying a ROM which is more work than slapping a ROM into a System on a Chip.

http://segaretro.org/Lock-On_Technology

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Macaluso posted:

I was not aware. My apologies.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Dehry posted:

The lock on technology is a big reason. Sonic and Knuckles while containing most of the game data for the extra games still pulls some data from the attached cartridges. It requires modifying a ROM which is more work than slapping a ROM into a System on a Chip.

http://segaretro.org/Lock-On_Technology

It's incredibly easy to do to a rom, though.

gently caress, they already had the locked-on rom files from past collections like the gamecube/ps2/xbox one. Any emulator could accept those rom files: once they're combined, S3K appears to be a single standard game, no extra work on the emulation side.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Feb 17, 2017

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

sharrrk posted:

the first sonic & sega all stars racing is really good as well actually

It's a solid mario kart clone, but nothing special

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

MikeJF posted:

It's incredibly easy to do to a rom, though.

gently caress, they already had the locked-on rom files from past collections like the gamecube/ps2/xbox one. Any emulator could accept those rom files: once they're combined, S3K appears to be a single standard game, no extra work on the emulation side.

Hell you can do it yourself with the old DOS COPY command that just appends the start of one file to the end of another.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

kirbysuperstar posted:

Hell you can do it yourself with the old DOS COPY command that just appends the start of one file to the end of another.

Wait are you saying it's literally just cat 's&k.rom' 's3.rom' > 's3&k.rom'?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

VikingofRock posted:

Afaik that's literally all it is

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Simsmagic posted:

It's a solid mario kart clone, but nothing special

i would easily put it above every mario kart available at the time other than double dash

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

sharrrk posted:

i would easily put it above every mario kart available at the time other than double dash
Yeah it was a real fun + solid kart racer and much better than it's peer MKWii. Mk8 shits all over it nowadays but it was a breath of fresh air at the time.

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011
How good could MK8 be if it isn't made by Sumo Digital and doesn't have top racers Knuckles the Echidna and Danica Patrick?

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Vyse is the fastest character.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

When you activate Knuckles' special move it plays his theme song (HERE I COME, ROUGHER THAN THE REST OF EM) for everyone in the race and people here actually think Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed isn't a masterpiece?

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
i like how rude gum is. also she has a quad bike

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Transformed was amazing but I do feel like the generic, non-game-related items hurt it. Every one of them could have been something from a Sega game and there's no good reason why they aren't.
I want a sequel so bad though. A sequel with an Ecco level. And a playable Phantasy Star character. And Big.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Can he be the announcer

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I want another Riders that goes back to the air mechanics of the first game, personally.

First one had better tracks too.

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011
All you Transformed fans should also check out OutRun 2006, made by the same devs. Enjoy the classic OutRun tunes or just put on your favourite vapor/synthwave and drift into the sunset. :cool:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

VikingofRock posted:

Yeah.

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

I want a sequel so bad though. A sequel with an Ecco level. And a playable Phantasy Star character. And Big.

Well, Nei was considered for it and Central Dome was tossed around as a track. Sadly neither came to fruition.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

beep by grandpa posted:

When you activate Knuckles' special move it plays his theme song (HERE I COME, ROUGHER THAN THE REST OF EM) for everyone in the race and people here actually think Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed isn't a masterpiece?

I was not aware of this fact.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

El Mido posted:

All you Transformed fans should also check out OutRun 2006, made by the same devs. Enjoy the classic OutRun tunes or just put on your favourite vapor/synthwave and drift into the sunset. :cool:

Would that be the Outrun 2 release, perchance? I still play it on my PSP to this day. Such a good game.

Goddamn it, why do the Sumo racing games have to die after two titles? It's not enough, drat it! :argh:

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

VikingofRock posted:

Yes.

It is more complicated for S2&K and stumped 90s pirates for a bit, but nowadays if you're just making official ROM collections there is no excuse not to have S2&K or Blue Spheres.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

A sequel with an Ecco level.

Welcome to the Machine. :unsmigghh:

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Heran Bago posted:

It is more complicated for S2&K and stumped 90s pirates for a bit, but nowadays if you're just making official ROM collections there is no excuse not to have S2&K or Blue Spheres.

Sega's cutting edge anti-piracy measures, in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16VAMuR1Pc4

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Would that be the Outrun 2 release, perchance? I still play it on my PSP to this day. Such a good game.

Yeah, 2006 Coast2Coast was an upgraded re-release of Outrun 2. It's sooooo good.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

F. Lobot posted:

Sega's cutting edge anti-piracy measures, in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16VAMuR1Pc4

The friendliest pirate hunters.:)

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

only sonic team could make an antipiracy tune and it turns out to be an insanely good song.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Not seen this before: https://youtu.be/idheGtky7os

Apparently it's a hidden screen on Sonic CD. I could try it out with my copy but it's upstairs and Christ alive who's got the time for that admin.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

7 year old me and confirm that is 100% real in the original release. There are like 10 more of those weird screens. This is the best one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euULXNvYQXM

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

only sonic team could make an antipiracy tune and it turns out to be an insanely good song.

I don't know if it was anti-piracy specifically, just a fun way of telling you to jam a different cartridge into the top slot. Although it creeped me out as a kid, as did any screen that was essentially a hard 'NOPE' and nothing else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

beep by grandpa posted:

7 year old me and confirm that is 100% real in the original release. There are like 10 more of those weird screens. This is the best one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euULXNvYQXM

Beep you need to add some camera flashes to your avatar, and you'll be set for Studiopolis Zone when Mania finally comes around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGR5fTO2oio

Lights, camera~