Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

It's possible to not like something and discuss its intent and design, though why anyone would spend serious time discussing fourth-rate Crichton work is anybody's guess. That's the trouble with authors who hit it big time, they are afforded the opportunity to publish dreck and/or ignore their editors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Michael Crichton was a medical doctor and went to Harvard. He was quite possibly the smartest man in america until his untimely death.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 225 days!
Authors do sometimes use characters as mouthpeices for their own views.

You can and should also look past that. Just make sure you can still see the trees for the forest, as it were.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

But this means Heinlein was a FACIST

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Wasnt there an earlier Heinlein book that's like starship troopers (in that it uses a biased viewpoint character to introduce the world's political system) but for New Deal democracy ...in the future?

Also can I hear more about Congo and whether or not it sucked? I remember those gorillas scaring me more than xenomorphs or raptors as a kid. But I haven't seen it in decades.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Wasnt there an earlier Heinlein book that's like starship troopers (in that it uses a biased viewpoint character to introduce the world's political system) but for New Deal democracy ...in the future?

Also can I hear more about Congo and whether or not it sucked? I remember those gorillas scaring me more than xenomorphs or raptors as a kid. But I haven't seen it in decades.

It's a movie out of its own time, a jungle adventure story. It's high comedy that most critics chose to read as serious.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Congo made me realize how awesome Tim Curry is.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

dont even fink about it posted:

It's a movie out of its own time, a jungle adventure story. It's high comedy that most critics chose to read as serious.

I'm going to need you to change your name back

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

oldpainless posted:

I'm going to need you to change your name back

I don't like it either but I was sick of my old one. Let me know the next time there is a GBS name change thread.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Congo is really good, gently caress the haters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iemGXdBdupM

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Feb 16, 2017

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Basebf555 posted:

Congo is really good, gently caress the haters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iemGXdBdupM

OMFG like I SAID.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Wasn't a big thing in the movie a romance between a man and an ape?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Shageletic posted:

Not really? I mean the guy is bonded to the ape because he raised it and was one of its primary handlers, but I don't remember any subtext that would suggest there's anything more than that going on. At no point does the guy want to marry the ape or whatever.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Shageletic posted:

In my script, yes

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
If Fay Wray can love King Kong, why can't Ray Ray love Lucy? :biotruths:

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Heinlein whole point was to make 13 year think and talk about different subject by suckering them in with action books. Starship Troopers was the first Hugo Award novel that started a minority protagonist (that we don' find out till the end of the novel) for example.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
Good Heinlein books :

Starship Troopers
The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress

Bad:

Everything else

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress is pretty bad.

edit; It's the one with the uber cool libetarian computer guy that sleeps with all the hot ladies, right?

edit 2: At this point I think I might have alzeimers.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I remember reading a comic series set on the moon where it's a perfect free market libertopia and some fussy earth statists come to inspect it and it's absolutely hilarious.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

Shageletic posted:

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress is pretty bad.

edit; It's the one with the uber cool libetarian computer guy that sleeps with all the hot ladies, right?

Can't remember much except a smooth talking person and something to do with a computer talking and hot babes taking over the moon? I enjoyed it anyway, and it didn't seem creepy and weird like most of his stuff that I have tried.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Midget Fist posted:

Can't remember much except a smooth talking person and something to do with a computer talking and hot babes taking over the moon? I enjoyed it anyway, and it didn't seem creepy and weird like most of his stuff that I have tried.

I think it's one of his creepiest. The whole "line marriage" where everyone in the family fucks each other because there aren't enough women or something.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

UmOk posted:

I think it's one of his creepiest. The whole "line marriage" where everyone in the family fucks each other because there aren't enough women or something.

Guess I purged that from my memory:)

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Rewatching Alien, why do they leave the planet so fast? Weren't they there to investigate the ship and it seems they just leave when Kain wakes up for no reason and then no one ever talks about it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I mean given what happened to Kain would you want to go back?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Tenzarin posted:

Rewatching Alien, why do they leave the planet so fast? Weren't they there to investigate the ship and it seems they just leave when Kain wakes up for no reason and then no one ever talks about it.

the derelict's full of thousands eggs that rape your face.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Groovelord Neato posted:

the derelict's full of thousands eggs that rape your face.

You never see them tell the computer that, they just run away.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Tenzarin posted:

You never see them tell the computer that, they just run away.
Would you stick around? They investigate the signal, log what they find, and then they expected they'd go home, report what they'd found, and people more qualified than them would take it from there. It's not like they're a trained science team with specialized equipment.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
How does a baby alien grow inside a human? Where does the mass come from? Shouldn't the human be like "jesus I'm hungry, gimmie some FOOD!"

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

WHY BONER NOW posted:

How does a baby alien grow inside a human? Where does the mass come from? Shouldn't the human be like "jesus I'm hungry, gimmie some FOOD!"

That's what you are concerned about in a movie with giant dick aliens that rape people with their tiny mouthed-dick-mouths that come out of their regular dick-mouth?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

If they were so upset when Kane died why didn't anyone have anything to say at his funeral? Obviously they all hated him.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

They leave because they are a bunch of space truckers, not scientists, who only landed because it's contractually required in order to get payed. They fulfill the minimum requirement and bug out. With extra haste, since it wound up being dangerous. The only ones that had actual interest in the planet were Kaine and Ash. Kaine had his enthusiasm dulled by being faceraped, and Ash got what he wanted when Kaine unwittingly brought a specimen. No motive left to stay.

And Kaine specifically did need to eat a lot to deal with his "pregnancy."

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

WHY BONER NOW posted:

when kane wakes up he's ravenously hungry remember.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
I will write a realistic and rational version of Alien.

"Mankind never ventures into space."

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The tagline for Alien is that "In space, no one can hear you scream," yet the crew of Alien is in space for much of the movie but we hear plenty of screaming? Immersion ruined.

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

wyoming posted:

I will write a realistic and rational version of Alien.

"Mankind never ventures into space."

I wouldn't go to space, there's face rape aliens there.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Huh I forgot about Kaine being hungry, I need to watch Alien again. But same question for the facehugger thing that came out of Shaw in Prometheus. Answer that one away fuckers :colbert:

I did try to rewatch Alien Resurrection thanks to this thread but didn't make it; I had to check out when Ripley gets pulled through the floor. God drat that movie is terrible.

One part of that movie that always made me uncomfortable is when Ripley is getting Call to hack into the mainframe or whatever. Call says "I don't want to do this" and "Please don't make me do this" to which Ripley says "Don't make me make you".

I don't know if I'd go as far as a rape analogy but I always found that scene unpleasant.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Peak Whedon "badass" dialog.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Huh I forgot about Kaine being hungry, I need to watch Alien again. But same question for the facehugger thing that came out of Shaw in Prometheus. Answer that one away fuckers :colbert:

That was her uterus, the machine gave her a hysterectomy.
Programmed for men, she told it to remove foreign matter and so on...

Also Ripley becoming a rapist is the text of the Resurrection.
Like cubed is her getting over her PTSD and having sex with the doctor dude.
Now that she's part rape monster "Who do I have gently caress to get off this tin can" or whatever.
It is a strange movie.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I'm always fascinated by how movies with pretty decent budgets have stuff like that and yet no movie will ever top the surreal cyborg on cyborg proboscis sex scene from Nemesis 4: Cry of Angels for sheer :wtc: factor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Neo Rasa posted:

I'm always fascinated by how movies with pretty decent budgets have stuff like that and yet no movie will ever top the surreal cyborg on cyborg proboscis sex scene from Nemesis 4: Cry of Angels for sheer :wtc: factor.

You can't post a description like that and not post a YouTube link. :suspense: