Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Mahoning posted:

You dorks, just get a sweet messenger bag that fits everything in it:

Already got this preordered from amazon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

VideoGames posted:

Buying two switches just to get another dock and set of joycons seems a bit nuts to me.

think of how much money you're going to save :peanut:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Vegastar posted:

Ultimate Chicken Horse is apparently being ported to the Switch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8vG_yP3yvg

Yesssssssss more party games

This is 100% my poo poo

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Stan Taylor posted:

Are they going to have any treehouse presentations before launch or anything? Do they host a page with a schedule on it anywhere or does all that info come from tweets.
There's been nothing announced yet. It can depend but they usually just announce them on Twitter a few days in advance.

At this point I would imagine there won't be any more directs or presentations before launch. I wouldn't mind seeing something about the online service or some details on the Virtual Console but I can't really see it happening.

VideoGames posted:

Buying two switches just to get another dock and set of joycons seems a bit nuts to me.
Especially if all you want is an extra dock for your family's place, which is hardly an unusual situation.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Infinitum posted:

This is 100% my poo poo

Oh gently caress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTbSMKGQ_rU

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

VideoGames posted:

Yes some may say that's the rational way of thinking but perhaps they're actually geniuses

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Real hurthling! posted:

Stow your kickstand prior to docking guys

FWIW the kickstand probably snaps right back in

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Infinitum posted:

This is 100% my poo poo

Right? The indie titles are killing it, if nothing else. Makes me feel a little warm and fuzzy inside. I'm hoping we'll see some Gang Beasts, Move or Die or something else in that vein down the road as well, but this and Jackbox might just make weekend and holiday shifts at work more bearable for everybody I work with, at least.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Who was it that said the Switch had like 0 3rd party support? :allears:

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Whoever said it probably didn't mean Indies.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Vegastar posted:

Right? The indie titles are killing it, if nothing else. Makes me feel a little warm and fuzzy inside.

:yeah:

Indies have been coming out left right and centre to support this thing, so it must be very easy to dev for.

quote:

I'm hoping we'll see some Gang Beasts, Move or Die or something else in that vein down the road as well,

Gang Beasts would be the loving best.

quote:

but this and Jackbox might just make weekend and holiday shifts at work more bearable for everybody I work with, at least.

:hfive:

Jackbox making its way onto the Switch is legit the best thing ever. Portable Jackbox :swoon:

I hope a 3rd party makes a mini portable stand that lets you output to HDMI, because that would be incredible.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

irlZaphod posted:

Whoever said it probably didn't mean Indies.

Indies are 3rd Party :colbert:

Each system has their first party name brands. Mario, Uncharted, Halo, etc

Each system has major 3rd parties that will crossdev for all platforms + PC
So I just buy all those titles on PC.

Indie support is where the real action is :allears:

Video games don't need to be these major multi-million dollar productions.
They just need to be fun.

So I'm over the loving moon devs are coming out in spades to support the Switch, because it not only means current awesome indie titles.. it also means The Next Big Indie Hit will likely see a Switch release as well!

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

s.i.r.e. posted:

I found one for $13 (just HDMI, nothing else) but there's some for $30-$40 with more options. Some get really expensive but those net you 5+ ports and whatnot. The $90 for the Switch dock is kinda nuts.

Virtually none of the hubs I have found have 3 USB ports, an HDMI out, AND also is an AC adapter/charger. Even if the Switch did work with one of those hubs (it won't), who would want to hook their Switch up to the TV and be limited by battery life?

Wendell
May 11, 2003

gently caress INDIES.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Wendell posted:

gently caress, INDIES.!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Wendell posted:

gently caress INDIES.

At least buy them dinner first, mate

BigBadBrewsta
Mar 11, 2002

"The State of Iowa: let us exceed your already low expectations."

-Raygun T-Shirt

VideoGames posted:

I don't know if I would actually do it. I'm just saying, the cold hard math is there. Nintendo made this conceptually possibly by how much they're charging for additional accessories ($90 for a Dock Set, $80 for a Joy-Con set, $30 for a charging grip). Based on the pricing Nintendo themselves have set, this values the console itself at around $100. (The charging vs. non-charging grip is the only factor we can't account for.)

Compare this to other console bundles, like the PS4. $249 for the box, $46 of which is for a DualShock 4, and $28.50 for Uncharted 4. That still values the console itself at $174.50, and while the additional controller is definitely useful, the second copy of a game is probably not.

The economics of the Switch box set are unique. That's all we were acknowledging.

irlZaphod posted:

Especially if all you want is an extra dock for your family's place, which is hardly an unusual situation.

Plus an extra Joy-Con set and extra grip. Not everyone would need an extra Dock, but a second controller set and grip is a pretty reasonable thing most people will want to buy.

littleorv posted:

Yes some may say that's the rational way of thinking but perhaps they're actually geniuses

I think it's just bizarre becomes the economics don't usually work in this way. Rarely in console gaming history have the accessory pack-ins been valued at double than the console itself.

EDIT: Plus I'd point out that it doesn't look like anyone is selling additional Switch Dock Sets at this point. It might be the only way to get your hands on a second Dock.

BigBadBrewsta fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Feb 16, 2017

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the switch doesnt need third parties because you can just get those games for PC, whereas the real magic comes from indie devs, who famously eschew pc development

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

gesundheit

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Super No Vacancy posted:

the switch doesnt need third parties because you can just get those games for PC, whereas the real magic comes from indie devs, who famously eschew pc development

And also other consoles.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Portable party games
Portable couch coop games

:colbert:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

EpicNemesis posted:

I read somewhere that using USB C to USB C with a battery pack is a safe way to go because battery packs don't have resistors and thus can't fry your switch. Can anyone confirm/deny the validity of this argument? Doesn't make much sense to me but I have no idea what I am talking about nor do I fully understand what a resistor is.

This is one of the riskiest ways to charge. Not many C-C cables are well made, and I've yet to see a battery pack that tested well in regards to USB C specifications.

Get a decent A-C cable and charge off a decent battery pack.

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

A pirate has Tourette's AND multiple sclerosis? That's so sad.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Super No Vacancy posted:

Lol.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
A.R.M.S.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

BigBadBrewsta posted:

This is a really good point, and your math is actually selling it short. A Joy-Con set is $80 and a charging grip is $30. (You can't buy the non-charging grip that comes with the system.) The Nintendo Switch Dock Set is $90. All of those accessories take you to $200.

If you were planning on buying a Dock Set, a Joy-Con set, and a charging grip, then you can buy a second system and get a second Switch console for essentially $100.
On the other hand if you don't need a second console you're spending an extra $100 for no reason. But do it anyway cause it's a deal yeah.

-says I, a Nintendo shareholder :retrogames::getin:

Lobstertainment posted:

I wonder if it's snapping or has Nintendo forseen this exact situation and made it pop off to be easily reattached.
An interview or something mentioned the kickstand is easily replaceable at least.

Vegastar posted:

Right? The indie titles are killing it, if nothing else. Makes me feel a little warm and fuzzy inside. I'm hoping we'll see some Gang Beasts, Move or Die or something else in that vein down the road as well, but this and Jackbox might just make weekend and holiday shifts at work more bearable for everybody I work with, at least.
I want River City Ransom Underground. Hopefully the PC release does well enough that they can port to consoles or Arc System Works picks it up and helps them out or something.

Mahoning posted:

Virtually none of the hubs I have found have 3 USB ports, an HDMI out, AND also is an AC adapter/charger. Even if the Switch did work with one of those hubs (it won't), who would want to hook their Switch up to the TV and be limited by battery life?
Many have power input, but that's just adding another $30 for a power brick to the cost. You can get cheap rear end hubs but I figure you're paying for the dock form factor convenience at a certain point.

BigBadBrewsta posted:

EDIT: Plus I'd point out that it doesn't look like anyone is selling additional Switch Dock Sets at this point. It might be the only way to get your hands on a second Dock.
I'm probably gonna be scouring eBay for people that sell their docks cause they only care about handheld usage...course they might try selling for $50 without the power adapter which means I wouldn't be saving much anyway.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

:yeah:

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

From the makers of ARMORINES: Project S.W.A.R.M. :yikes:

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Vegastar posted:

Ultimate Chicken Horse is apparently being ported to the Switch for later this year. I'm pretty excited about this, at least. Might actually make viable use of the whole "whip out a Switch and have an impromptu multiplayer session" thing.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-02-16-nintendo-switch-is-getting-one-of-2016s-best-multiplayer-games
This is rad, Ultimate Chicken Horse is a really rad party game for cool people.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Having UCH and other party games on the switch is likely easier than Steam streaming them to the TV so this is good.

Gimme Niddhogg, Gang Beasts, Jackbox, maybe Duck Game too.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

I would do...things...for Duck Game on the switch.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Honestly I'd take a remastered/combined Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort that uses the Joycons. My siblings and I had so much fun with the 3-point shooting competition in Wii Sports Resort.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Have any third parties announced a peripheral for making it easier to connect to TVs/monitors on the go? Something lighter weight than the dock?

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

The Milkman posted:

Having UCH and other party games on the switch is likely easier than Steam streaming them to the TV so this is good.

Gimme Niddhogg, Gang Beasts, Jackbox, maybe Duck Game too.

Good news, Jackbox is already confirmed as well.

http://jackboxgames.com/2017/02/03/the-jackbox-party-pack-3-is-coming-to-nintendo-switch/

Tesh
Jun 30, 2002

If humans were cookies, I'd be the cookie monster.

I'm wavering on my Pro controller preorder and thinking about picking up an extra set of Joy-cons instead. With these party games coming out seems like a wiser investment to have four controllers instead of three.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I'm hoping Overcooked comes to Switch cause that'd be pretty much perfect

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Ultimate Chicken Horse? Jackbox?

I am going to legitimately invite people over for the explicit purpose of playing video games.

I don't remember the last time that's happened, but it fills me with glee.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

In one week I will get an email telling me my Switch has shipped!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Beastie posted:

In one week I will get an email telling me my Switch has shipped!

You're getting it a week early?

• Locked thread