Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I will point out that people who propose never to put their friends first at all over comparable strangers tend to have few friends. That too is a consequence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Fangz posted:

I will point out that people who propose never to put their friends first at all over comparable strangers tend to have few friends. That too is a consequence.

Because all their friends were killed while they rescued other people?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Fangz posted:

I mean, on a personal level you have limited resources, both material and abstract. I can't improve everyone's lives, even if I want to, but I can avoid making other people's lives worse. Stratification of education (and healthcare) leads to inequality pretty directly, so it's immoral to do it.

Also the "WHO WOULD YOU RESCUE ON TRAIN TRACKS THO" argument is loving asinine and implies some kind of moral equivalence between nepotism and rescuing people from old-timey movie villains.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.

quote:

A Church of England bishop has apologised after accidentally voting against a controversial report on homosexuality and same-sex marriage.
The Bishop of Coventry said he had pressed the wrong button - giving the impression "that there was not complete agreement in the House of Bishops".
The Rt Rev Christopher Cocksworth said the mistake had been a "moment of distraction and some confusion".
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38994125

An amusing real life "username/post combo".

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Are they going to let the Episcopalian Church back in?

e: Or if not, are they going to allow CoE clergy who support same-sex marriage become Episcopalian by accelerated transition, like happened with the RC Church over women bishops?

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Feb 16, 2017

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I identify as transatlantic

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
https://mobile.twitter.com/robfordmancs/status/832205371699785729

Corbyn is less well regarded than both Foot and IDS, and therefore the worst performing leader of the Opposition in over three decades. Ipsos' data don't go back past the early eighties; if they did, I suspect they'd show him to be the least well-liked leader of the Opposition in postwar history.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Um I think you'll find that the general election is four years away also he's won two elections also elections don't actually matter.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

LemonDrizzle posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/robfordmancs/status/832205371699785729

Corbyn is less well regarded than both Foot and IDS, and therefore the worst performing leader of the Opposition in over three decades. Ipsos' data don't go back past the early eighties; if they did, I suspect they'd show him to be the least well-liked leader of the Opposition in postwar history.

well blair was most popular and also the biggest war criminal soooooo???

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

JFairfax posted:

well blair was most popular and also the biggest war criminal soooooo???

British public wrong about almost everything etc

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

LemonDrizzle posted:

Corbyn still unpopular, further updates to follow at hourly intervals.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

jabby posted:

Corbyn still unpopular, further updates to follow at hourly intervals.

Yeah but he's like, really really unpopular. The most unpopular ever. That's got to be worth a mention, surely?

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

Yeah but he's like, really really unpopular. The most unpopular ever. That's got to be worth a mention, surely?

So his popularity finally broke the IDS record of -37 by one point. Does it represent a significant change from the status quo? Not really. Do people continue to post the tedious strawman that obviously Corbyn supporters don't realise he's unpopular/think all polls are a lie? Yes they do.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Pochoclo posted:

This is what the poster I was responding to was advocating, adjusted for your use case:

"I will put the needs of those who were born in a territory where the NHS operates, before the needs of those born outside of it"

You tell me, friend.

P.S: in case you didn't notice, I'm not saying that saying "man I love the UK" is racist because surprise, I also have said that on occasion and it has a completely different meaning to what the poster I was responding to meant when he said "loving your country".

Did people really spend the night calling me racist for saying that its not automatically bad to love your country?

Carborundum
Feb 21, 2013

Pissflaps posted:

In a poll of me just now you are the most unpopular ever.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Carborundum posted:

In a poll of me just now you are the most unpopular ever.

A good example of why drawing on Corbyn's leadership election success to indicate his appeal makes no sense.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Oh dear me posted:

No one ever thought there was a "universally held" moral system. Consequentialism is still a major school in ethics, though, and it does rule out saving your family first just because they are your family.

I assume by "rules out" you mean it doesn't state that prioritising loved ones is the moral thing to do, meaning that all else being equal, to do so is as morally neutral as a coin toss?

As opposed to "prioritising loved ones in such a scenario where all else is equal is actively bad, so you should always save the stranger in order to distance yourself from appearing to be biased by such moral failings as irrational love. Beep boop", which is literally what Paxman was advocating upthread. Because that would be, pardon my language, loving retarded, in every sense.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Carborundum
Feb 21, 2013

Pissflaps posted:

A good example of why drawing on Corbyn's leadership election success to indicate his appeal makes no sense.

A good example of why you make no sense.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
um no it's a monster's paw

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

:monocle:

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Carborundum posted:

A good example of why you make no sense.

If you're struggling to understand this shoot me a pm.

Horseshit.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
No, gently caress that, I'm invoking death of the author. Everyone thought they were feet, Monster Claws did a whole no-brand cover and those were definitely feet. Society has semiotically coded them as feet that they are more foot than monster.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Its all academic since monster much are obvectively and empirically shite imvho

Paxman
Feb 7, 2010

Renaissance Robot posted:

I assume by "rules out" you mean it doesn't state that prioritising loved ones is the moral thing to do, meaning that all else being equal, to do so is as morally neutral as a coin toss?

As opposed to "prioritising loved ones in such a scenario where all else is equal is actively bad, so you should always save the stranger in order to distance yourself from appearing to be biased by such moral failings as irrational love. Beep boop", which is literally what Paxman was advocating upthread. Because that would be, pardon my language, loving retarded, in every sense.

That is not literally what I was advocating. I said it would be morally wrong to save a relative "At least, if your decision was based on who you were related to (not on who you had the most chance of saving, or just tossing a coin, and the answer was your relative)." That doesn't mean "you should always save the stranger". I actually state directly that in some cases it would not be immoral to save your relative.

Also note that the idea that "if everything else was equal" was not part of the statement I was objecting to. The original statement was that "we wouldn't consider it to be morally wrong for someone to save the life of a friend or family member instead of a stranger if they were somehow only able to save one of the two". Nothing about everything being equal. Which is why I said it might be better to consider factors like, who am I most likely to be able succesfully to save?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Apparently our brains have different ways of filling blanks; I automatically assumed "all else being equal" because it allows you to focus solely on what family is worth. Not assuming that will of course lead one to say "it depends on other factors", which is true, but seems a bit worthless in the realm of moral thought experiments.

But then, "do you value family above anything and everything else" is also a valid question, which I didn't spot. Sorry for misreading you dude.

spectralent posted:

Also the "WHO WOULD YOU RESCUE ON TRAIN TRACKS THO" argument is loving asinine and implies some kind of moral equivalence between nepotism and rescuing people from old-timey movie villains.

I propose that rather than wasting time scrutinising the morality of the person trying their best to save lives with limited time and information, we hunt down the moustache twirling fucker tying all these people down on tram lines.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Feb 16, 2017

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Space raiders, wheat crunchies, scampi fries. These are the crisps of the proletariat.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I can't believe they aren't feet

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Oberleutnant posted:

Space raiders, wheat crunchies, scampi fries. These are the crisps of the proletariat.
And Monster Claws. There's no confusion about whether or not those are feet.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
#monstermunchgate

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

No, gently caress that, I'm invoking death of the author. Everyone thought they were feet, Monster Claws did a whole no-brand cover and those were definitely feet. Society has semiotically coded them as feet that they are more foot than monster.

Nope. Way back in the late 70s/early 80s we thought they were "the yellow monster" shaped - they also had "the pink monster" shaped ones.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Renaissance Robot posted:

No, I mean consequentialism regards "they are my family" is an immoral reason, because the morally correct course is to consider the consequences of one's actions.

(No one calls love a "moral failing", come on.)

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

EmptyVessel posted:

Nope. Way back in the late 70s/early 80s we thought they were "the yellow monster" shaped - they also had "the pink monster" shaped ones.

Provide some loving sources on this motherfucker.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Oberleutnant posted:

On the one hand, I have to disagree when you say Monster Munch are crap.

On the other hand, I got Monster Munch in my sainsburys lunch deal yesterday, so you seem to be right about this latter point.

Still great though.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I'm the guy who pulls the lever marked "multi track drifting"

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Let's be honest the majority of people itt will never have to make that critical of a moral choice. Hell I won't either.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Oh dear me posted:

No, I mean consequentialism regards "they are my family" is an immoral reason, because the morally correct course is to consider the consequences of one's actions.

(No one calls love a "moral failing", come on.)

Is the point supposed to be that being family does not actually suggest anything about what the person is really worth to you? And therefore to value family because they're family (rather than because you actually like them or whatever) is invalid?

Sorry if that's a goony question.

Also is "immoral" supposed to be the same thing as "not moral"? Suspect I may be having a semantic problem

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

This is bad for Corbyn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

And Monster Claws. There's no confusion about whether or not those are feet.

Those are hands.

• Locked thread