Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

I hated Stone-Age primitives every time I encountered them, except one time when they were on a Society-rich planet and I was able to turn the whole place into one massive Society research lab, which was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

Splicer posted:

OK so this is going to sound crazy but hear me out...

I'm confused, should I keep playing after I get bored? Once I defeat the endgame crisis its really just a matter of time until victory. I'd rather start over with a new species and strategy and try out a different approach.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Serf posted:

I'm confused, should I keep playing after I get bored?

The implication here is that you get bored because you play in a way that maximizes micromanagement tedium.

eta: That said, I don't really agree that this is what's going on. I too generally play until after a crisis or other self-set challenge is met. I've never played to any victory and don't care.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah I tend to stop playing once I feel it's only a matter of waiting out peace treaty cool downs to win, at that point it becomes just a mindless slog, and I don't even play to "win". Once you know you can take on a fallen empire, awakened or not, and know the general strategies for the various end-game threats, it's all by the numbers.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Alright here's an idea for a big event: a Fallen Empire Sublimes (to borrow Banks' terms), suddenly vacating all their planets and space. How ridiculous would it be to suddenly have a giant gap of Gaia Worlds and Ringworlds all completely open for the taking?

There's actually a mod that lets you (as a PC) ascend like that, and I learned recently there's a console command that lets you swap to other races in play, so you could fake it, but it'd be cooler if it was an event!

Serf
May 5, 2011

Dog Kisser posted:

Alright here's an idea for a big event: a Fallen Empire Sublimes (to borrow Banks' terms), suddenly vacating all their planets and space. How ridiculous would it be to suddenly have a giant gap of Gaia Worlds and Ringworlds all completely open for the taking?

There's actually a mod that lets you (as a PC) ascend like that, and I learned recently there's a console command that lets you swap to other races in play, so you could fake it, but it'd be cooler if it was an event!

Yeah, the game needs more ways to zag on you towards the end. Once you've beaten the endgame crisis and taken down an FE or two you're kinda just gonna snowball to the end. Late-game land grab could be a fun thing. Can you have multiple endgame crises? Because if you were to beat the Unbidden just for the Prethoryn to show up even bigger and badder than normal that would be pretty interesting. In the megastructures dev diary they talked about how building one would impact how other nations see you, so maybe if you're approaching the game-winning point they all just turn on you or your relations get steadily worse as they see the writing on the wall.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah I never quite got that. "Hey these guys are too advanced to be declared pre-sentients, but not advanced enough to use the primitive mechanics, ur hosed bud sorry"

It was a really old system from early development, before pre-sentients and other primitives were made. I had always planned to replace them, just wasn't high enough priority until now.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I kinda liked stone age primitive mechanics, but only because I like playing as Space Americans and found the idea of establishing extraterrestrial reservations to be highly ironic.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Wiz posted:

It was a really old system from early development, before pre-sentients and other primitives were made. I had always planned to replace them, just wasn't high enough priority until now.

You're basically nailing every system that felt like that in the game, it's fantastic. Other than armies I guess. Any idea when an army related re-work might be on the table?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Baronjutter posted:

You're basically nailing every system that felt like that in the game, it's fantastic. Other than armies I guess. Any idea when an army related re-work might be on the table?

Obviously can't give out a timeframe but I consider it high priority.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Wiz posted:

Obviously can't give out a timeframe but I consider it high priority.

Do we have a confirmation on the ability to destroy abandoned outposts that are blocking expansion?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

CompeAnansi posted:

Do we have a confirmation on the ability to destroy abandoned outposts that are blocking expansion?

Context?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Wiz posted:

Context?

Some gross aliens build a research station around a sun. Later their borders are reduced, leaving the station unclaimed. You want to build an outpost in that system, but can't because there's already a construction around the sun.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Baronjutter posted:

Some gross aliens build a research station around a sun. Later their borders are reduced, leaving the station unclaimed. You want to build an outpost in that system, but can't because there's already a construction around the sun.

Huh. Yeah, that's not great. Abandoned stations should probably be destroyed after a few months or something.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Wiz posted:

Huh. Yeah, that's not great.

A system where abandoned facilities are auto-scrapped if they are in the way of an active construction order might be an easy fix.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Wiz posted:

Huh. Yeah, that's not great. Abandoned stations should probably be destroyed after a few months or something.

Have it decay health slowly due to lack of maintenance resources being funneled into it. Bonus, hp acts as a timer to tell you how much time you have left to recap it. :v:

Speaking of defunct outposts: in one of my games I have a ton of wormhole gates scattered around the entire galaxy, but can't disband any (long since moved to psi jump drives), because they're not in my core sector (not even inside my borders) and they're just eating resources for maintenance. Is this intended, or an oversight?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Time is usually of the essence when building outposts, I don't want to wait months for that station to decay before I can pop an outpost in there :(

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Truga posted:

Have it decay health slowly due to lack of maintenance resources being funneled into it. Bonus, hp acts as a timer to tell you how much time you have left to recap it. :v:

Speaking of defunct outposts: in one of my games I have a ton of wormhole gates scattered around the entire galaxy, but can't disband any (long since moved to psi jump drives), because they're not in my core sector (not even inside my borders) and they're just eating resources for maintenance. Is this intended, or an oversight?

That's a great idea actually. Will do.

And no, that sounds like a bug.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Oh. I do have an UI mod, I'll check if it does the same without it.

e: Nope, without the UI mod:
https://udba.org/stellaris/2017_02_16_1.png

Baronjutter posted:

Time is usually of the essence when building outposts, I don't want to wait months for that station to decay before I can pop an outpost in there :(

If you're in a hurry you can always just bomb it with a fleet?

Truga fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Feb 16, 2017

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
You can't attack abandoned outposts and it would actually be really tricky to allow you to because of the way they are setup code wise. Having them decay over time would be an easy fix though.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Wiz posted:

You can't attack abandoned outposts and it would actually be really tricky to allow you to because of the way they are setup code wise. Having them decay over time would be an easy fix though.

Make them disassembleable via construction ship for a <resource> boost and slight diplomatic malus with the original owner

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

ChickenWing posted:

Make them disassembleable via construction ship for a <resource> boost and slight diplomatic malus with the original owner

Ooh I like this

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Wiz posted:

Can you expand on these legacy features? I've complained a lot about the weird policies you get from events (drone bounty stands out) and it just seems so weird things like this made it into release at all when you're cutting it all down now.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
While we're on the topic of little features how about an alert when planetary edicts expire?

Wormhole station access agreements, too, although at least you can overlap them.

darnon fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Feb 16, 2017

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

darnon posted:

While we're on the topic of little features how about an alert when planetary edicts expire?

Wormhole station access agreements, too, although at least you can overlap them.
The wormhole access rights are super annoying, since the existing stations disappear when the rights expire. It would be a nice QOL change if they stuck around but were just unusable until you renegotiated. Perhaps with the gradual decay from lack of.maintenance that we were just talking about, as opposed to instantly disintegrating.

Ersatz fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Feb 16, 2017

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
Abandoned deep space stations sounds like a spooky and cool concept though. It would be neat to be able to re-purpose abandoned space structure as a new station (old research station is now the makeshift border outpost), and then maybe some events dealing with mismatch station/biology, or space ghosts or whatever.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Well that was annoying. My federation decided we should all go to war with my rival and make them my vassal, so what the hell, I vote yes. We win, they're my bitch now, but the new vassal still has the "closed borders" malus, the option to open borders shows all green ticks on mouse-over, but is greyed out.

And then later when the two fallen empires awaken and my long-term cold-war rival suddenly drops that and joins my non-aligned federation, I can't turn off closed borders for them either, so they've still got the malus and I can't switch it off, but I can pass through their territory.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

GotLag posted:

Well that was annoying. My federation decided we should all go to war with my rival and make them my vassal, so what the hell, I vote yes. We win, they're my bitch now, but the new vassal still has the "closed borders" malus, the option to open borders shows all green ticks on mouse-over, but is greyed out.

And then later when the two fallen empires awaken and my long-term cold-war rival suddenly drops that and joins my non-aligned federation, I can't turn off closed borders for them either, so they've still got the malus and I can't switch it off, but I can pass through their territory.

That seems odd. Could you make a bug report on the Stellaris forums?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Sorry, I don't have time right now as I have to get ready for work, but it sounds like this post I found when I was googling for it earlier: https://www.reddit.com/r/Stellaris/comments/5fptcc/vassals_and_closed_border_dip_debuff/

I can't remember if they were actually my rival or I'd merely closed them off before the war, but after they were turned into vassal via victory condition, the button to open borders was greyed out (but the tooltip conditions were all met).

Oh god I played your game all night :negative:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

"Advanced Governments: Adopt unique civics and authorities for your government. Play as a Fanatic Purifier and shun all diplomacy, become a Hive Mind to avoid political strife or create a multi-species empire born of Syncretic Evolution."

Syncretic evolution! One step closer the the Culture.

Pan-human bodies are so hot right now

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'd like daily dev diaries and for it to come out next week.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Strategic Tea posted:

Syncretic evolution! One step closer the the Culture.

Pan-human bodies are so hot right now

that's what came to mind for me too. wanna make myself genetically compatible with all the space aliens, fill the stars with our sexy hybrid spawn.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I hope we can make hybrids and for the graphics they just take the two portraits and put on a bad 90's morph effect.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

Baronjutter posted:

I'd like daily dev diaries and for it to come out next week.

Yeah, this. Tried to play earlier, but I couldn't get into it when I knew all the cool stuff was coming. Eventually.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Dog Kisser posted:

We had a big long talk about this once, way back when, that ended turning into a conversation about ascending in general and how cool it would be for races to disappear and shake up the galaxy with their vacancy (and how it would be a fun win condition for the player to try and achieve the same, especially in the face of an oncoming galactic threat)

I'd be up for rehashing that conversation, lots of fun thoughts came out of it.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Dog Kisser posted:

It's probably doable as a modded event right now, based on how the War in Heaven victory condition works.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Wiz posted:

That seems odd. Could you make a bug report on the Stellaris forums?

Done.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Can't check the game files at the moment, but does anyone know if the Commonwealth of Man has any other unique quests besides the hunt for one of the other ark ships?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Pops, huh? Will they build things on their world?

...There's an AI setting in the files for Stellaris that keeps primitives from doing stuff by basically turning their AI off. I should turn their AI on and see what happens.

• Locked thread