Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Double Monocle
Sep 4, 2008

Smug as fuck.

d3lness posted:

Anybody have any info on Peacekeeper not working as intended? I've already searched on the first page/guide and google-fu'd a bit, but all I'm finding are glorious "nerf X" threads. For some reason, I've only heard the comment pop up on a few Twitch streams from both the streamers and viewers. Is this an actual problem or are people just making excuses for poor gameplay and losing?

The peacekeeper triple stab does like 1/3rd the damage it did in the beta.

It also don't see mention of this anywhere in patch notes so that's probably what they are referring to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
how is there high activity in this queue if you have to go to all regions all skill levels to find a match game :argh:

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Double Monocle posted:

It also don't see mention of this anywhere in patch notes so that's probably what they are referring to.

Thanks much buttercup. Guess I'll just have to keep my ear to the ground and see if it was a stealth nerf or if it's actually broken.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Double Monocle posted:

If you mean the bleed, that was an intended nerf. The build the open beta used was not the same as the retail build so the expected nerfs weren't in then, but we've know that nerf was coming since before open beta.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Double Monocle posted:

I was watching truetalent play against a peacekeeper recently and when he got guard broke the peacekeeper would stab once or twice and then throw him against a wall and then attempt a follow-up heavy attack. Every single time this happened he would say 'yup that's optimal' and later on explained why.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I'm getting real fuckin tired of the community in this game. A bunch of whinging, blaming assholes. Environmental kills automatically get you lynched for "WOW NO HONOR", 2v1 on an enemy because they're slowly circling around for 3 minutes instead of manning up and just fighting "wow noob gotta 2v1 gank to win lololol", parrying and cancelling guardbreaks and punishing enemies gets you a "wow <insert class name here> OP, broken mechanics, gg using cheese tactics human being". It's pathetic. The one thing I love is absolutely demolishing these types of people in the hopes I tilt them so bad and the rest of their games go awfully.

I was playing Orochi and was getting 90% of my parries down against a Berserker, and then I'd punish him super hard. He yells at me saying "wow Orochi OP, nice cheese tactics, play another class human being" and it's just like, what??? I'm getting poo poo talked for playing well? 10/10 experience. Game shouldn't have been called For Honor cause all these whingers come crawling out of the woodwork as a result.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Loopoo posted:

I'm getting real fuckin tired of the community in this game. A bunch of whinging, blaming assholes.

Turn off all chat.

Alternatively, learn to kill someone properly instead of throwing them off a cliff :smug:

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Zzulu posted:

From watching the pros I don't think lawbringer is particularly bad? IS it possible people are just bad with it..

A little of both. The class has real problems in need of addressing, but it also has a very distinct playstyle that I think a lot of people have trouble coming to grips with.

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

The worst the PS4 has is emote spam. The quick chat menu, amazingly, only has phrases with positive connotations like "Good fight!" "Wow!" Or "Thanks!" For the most part I've only encountered people who will humor a mid-battle gesture and respond with "good fight" when appropriate.

I only wish I could loving manage to time my guardbreak cancels correctly, then I'd have a 10/10 time with this game.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I like how this game has 12 classes but if you play 1v1 all you ever see are Orochi and Wardens.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
What exactly am I supposed to do when it goes into slow mo and there's like a orange icon after they hit me? Is that guard break or something else?

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Every single person I've played since open beta has tried for the ledge kill when it's possible. Usually it's the first thing they do, to the point where now I always charge with a fast attack or uninterruptable when we're in ledge kill range. These are almost never blocked because they're halfway through the guard break animation when I attack.

I don't know where these "honorable" people are but I want to find them. And toss them off a cliff.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Internet Kraken posted:

I like how this game has 12 classes but if you play 1v1 all you ever see are Orochi and Wardens.

This isn't true at all though? At least not at higher MMRs.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Y'all need to stop being anything but amused at the whole e-honor thing.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Trillhouse posted:

I don't know where these "honorable" people are but I want to find them. And toss them off a cliff.

Make sure you shout, "FOR HONOR!" when you do it.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Loopoo posted:

I'm getting real fuckin tired of the community in this game. A bunch of whinging, blaming assholes. Environmental kills automatically get you lynched for "WOW NO HONOR", 2v1 on an enemy because they're slowly circling around for 3 minutes instead of manning up and just fighting "wow noob gotta 2v1 gank to win lololol", parrying and cancelling guardbreaks and punishing enemies gets you a "wow <insert class name here> OP, broken mechanics, gg using cheese tactics human being". It's pathetic. The one thing I love is absolutely demolishing these types of people in the hopes I tilt them so bad and the rest of their games go awfully.

I was playing Orochi and was getting 90% of my parries down against a Berserker, and then I'd punish him super hard. He yells at me saying "wow Orochi OP, nice cheese tactics, play another class human being" and it's just like, what??? I'm getting poo poo talked for playing well? 10/10 experience. Game shouldn't have been called For Honor cause all these whingers come crawling out of the woodwork as a result.

If the tears you're getting in all chat for this game aren't literally fueling your desire to play you're interpreting them incorrectly.

Likewise if you're not then immediately emote spamming their corpses and typing 'git gud' in chat for additional rage when this happens to you you're doing it incorrectly.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014
So I just got dumped out of the single player campaign for losing my connection to ubisoft. My internet connection is fine. "No network problems" my rosy red arse...

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Fuzz posted:

Make sure you shout, "FOR HONOR!" when you do it.

lol I'm going to do this now

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Razzled posted:

What exactly am I supposed to do when it goes into slow mo and there's like a orange icon after they hit me? Is that guard break or something else?

Orange attacks come in a few varieties:
  • Unblockable attacks like Shugoki's charge heavy. These are usually slow and, as you might guess, can't be blocked. You can interrupt them with a fast attack before their attack finishes. You can dodge the attack. Or you can parry the attack
  • Unblockable grabs like Raider has. These can't be parried (duh, because it's not an attack) but can be dodges or interrupted with an attack.
  • other poo poo like Warden's charge. Same rules as above. Special note while I'm on the subject: if a Warden is charging you, dodge/roll BACKWARDS always. Good Wardens can cancel the charge into a guard break against side dodges and it will land every time.

Similar to unblockable attacks, some characters have super-armor attacks. All of Warlord's heavy attacks gain this halfway through the animation, for example. If a character flashes WHITE that means they have super armor. These attacks CAN be blocked but CAN'T be interrupted. Heroes also take less damage in this state.

Shugoki features this uninterruptable super armor as his main mechanic. He has uninterruptable status for EVERYTHING until he takes damage. So his slow heavy attacks will always go through if you trade. After he takes damage he loses this status and it takes like 5-10 seconds to regain it. Also he takes more damage than other heroes without his super armor, so land consecutive shots on him and be aggressive. The warden's double light attack (she gets a guaranteed side light attack in if her first side light connects) is a great way to negate his advantage too.

If you're just getting started and you character has an unblockable attack, you can abuse it a lot against other newbies. Most can't parry or even don't know that you have to, so it's a lot of free damage.

Trillhouse fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Feb 16, 2017

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

panda clue posted:

This isn't true at all though? At least not at higher MMRs.

No I'm pretty sure its the opposite. Higher your mmr, less class variety by a significant margin.

EDIT: Unless winning somehow made my mmr drop while simultaneously resulting in people suddenly developing near-perfect guard counters and utilizing feints.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Feb 16, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mufasa Nigel posted:

Is there a short video on getting the timing of guard break interrupt down to a T, because I cannot for the life of me pull it off consistently. The advanced practice where you have to do it 3 times honestly took me over 5 minutes. And obviously this is loving me over online.

Press X when you hear the audio cue. That's it.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Hola_Bandido is gonna stab you from beyond the Wall. one of those bad hombres.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Atoramos posted:

Are there any other gotcha's like this? Or any way to get a feel for these kind of tips?

That's not a gotcha, its one of the basic class traits.

Read the "how to play" stuff that's in the game. There's a list of moves for each character and there's 2 videos that show you how to do them. Just literally press the "how to play" button in game.

For some reason lots of people avoid that because they think its a baby tutorial or something, but if you don't know how to play then you should press "how to play" !!!

Rainuwastaken posted:

Step 1: Play a different class.
Seriously though, I want my giant armored man to be good but he's just so sloooooooow.

Lawbringer IS good and if you want a fast offensive class you're playing him wrong. He's supposed to be slow, and its fine. If that bothers you he just isn't the class for your playstyle.

"This doesn't work for me so its terrible" comeon :v:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

That Italian Guy posted:

Hola_Bandido is gonna stab you from beyond the Wall. one of those bad hombres.

Hah, my friend I'm playing 2s with has a very similar emblem.

You should fill in the top and bottom, although I guess it looks more like a flag that way?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Lawbringer is easily the best troll class in the game. He is made to send people falling to their deaths. I still fall for it occasionally. I will know 100% that it's coming but my foresight does not translate into good reactions so inevitably I get dumped off the side of a map. I played against lawbringers yesterday who did nothing but that and finished top on their teams.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

Lawbringer IS good and if you want a fast offensive class you're playing him wrong. He's supposed to be slow, and its fine. If that bothers you he just isn't the class for your playstyle.

lawbringer is not good

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Razzled posted:

When you're looking at a class' movelist, you can press left trigger to show the icon legend.

The orange icon means unblockable. It has to be dodged or parried, it cannot be blocked.

Orange icon after they hit you doesn't make sense. What is probably happening is that they are combo-ing into a move that is unblockable at the end, like Kensei's combos. He hits 3 times, the first two are normal and the third is unblockable. Nothing is happening to you, that's just how their class works. You have to learn to anticipate the 3rd hit and either parry it or dodge it.

Guard break is more of a blue flash with a shield.

Like Trillhouse said though, it gets kinda tricky because different people have different moves. Shugoki has a grab attack which is unblockable (orange) so that kinda looks like a guard break.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Nah, the reason why Lawbringer is not very good is because he's a defensive class with a mediocre defense and sub-par punishers.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Ice Fist posted:

Lawbringer is easily the best troll class in the game. He is made to send people falling to their deaths. I still fall for it occasionally. I will know 100% that it's coming but my foresight does not translate into good reactions so inevitably I get dumped off the side of a map. I played against lawbringers yesterday who did nothing but that and finished top on their teams.

Lawbringers are pretty dope at sending people into bonfires too.

TwatHammer
Sep 29, 2014

I too enjoy lawbringer. Had a game last night in dominion where i managed to get 10 kills. All thrown off ledges. Think i caused 2 dudes to ragequit that match just from being thrown :allears:

Then i had to go ahead and make this monstrosity.

Nothing says enjoy your trip quite like an almost solid gold lawbringer.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Rainuwastaken posted:

Turn off all chat.

Alternatively, learn to kill someone properly instead of throwing them off a cliff :smug:

I don't environmental kill much nowadays. It's annoying as gently caress when I can punish a player by cliffing them but that voice in the back of my head says it's not worth dealing with the salt, so instead I heavy attack em. I just play Orochi really well and mash together really good combos so it's lightning quick. If I get you in a guard break or parry, you're pretty hosed. I can take 4 or 5 bars of off your health.

Ice Fist posted:

If the tears you're getting in all chat for this game aren't literally fueling your desire to play you're interpreting them incorrectly.

Likewise if you're not then immediately emote spamming their corpses and typing 'git gud' in chat for additional rage when this happens to you you're doing it incorrectly.

I was doing that at the start, it was funny for a while. But now I just feel like a soldier that has seen too many atrocities committed and I've got that thousand yard stare feeling. Now when someone gets salty, I don't enjoy it as much, it's just meh cause it happens every match out of two. Ya feel me?

Replace US soldier with a sad Orochi.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Feb 16, 2017

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Internet Kraken posted:

No I'm pretty sure its the opposite. Higher your mmr, less class variety by a significant margin.

EDIT: Unless winning somehow made my mmr drop while simultaneously resulting in people suddenly developing near-perfect guard counters and utilizing feints.

Are you on console? I've seen a lot of Wardens, but the rest of the classes seem pretty evenly distributed based on what I've encountered, on PC at least.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Loopoo posted:

Turn off player chat in user interface

panda clue
May 23, 2014
idk why you're even playing this game if you don't start laughing like a madman anytime someone rages at you in chat

Qubee
May 31, 2013

panda clue posted:

idk why you're even playing this game if you don't start laughing like a madman anytime someone rages at you in chat

It was funny as hell when it was new, but now the rage and salt is getting stale.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Loopoo posted:

I don't environmental kill much nowadays. It's annoying as gently caress when I can punish a player by cliffing them but that voice in the back of my head says it's not worth dealing with the salt, so instead I heavy attack em. I just play Orochi really well and mash together really good combos so it's lightning quick. If I get you in a guard break or parry, you're pretty hosed. I can take 4 or 5 bars of off your health.

I want to fight you. Orochis give me tons of trouble on my Raider.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Perestroika posted:

Nah, the reason why Lawbringer is not very good is because he's a defensive class with a mediocre defense and sub-par punishers.

Ding ding ding, it's this. He's supposed to be a defensive counter striker but he does not do any of those things well, nor can he go on offense. He basically can't get much of anything done without a guard break, and every other character in the game can also get some kind of confirm out of a guard break so that doesn't really stand out.

Speed is king in this game at the moment.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Captain Oblivious posted:

Speed is king in this game at the moment.

REALISM. :shepface:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

panda clue posted:

Are you on console? I've seen a lot of Wardens, but the rest of the classes seem pretty evenly distributed based on what I've encountered, on PC at least.

PC. Maybe its just been bad luck but I've run into so many Wardens and Orochis that Its gotten really drat boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Zaphod42 posted:

When you're looking at a class' movelist, you can press left trigger to show the icon legend.

The orange icon means unblockable. It has to be dodged or parried, it cannot be blocked.

Orange icon after they hit you doesn't make sense. What is probably happening is that they are combo-ing into a move that is unblockable at the end, like Kensei's combos. He hits 3 times, the first two are normal and the third is unblockable. Nothing is happening to you, that's just how their class works. You have to learn to anticipate the 3rd hit and either parry it or dodge it.

Guard break is more of a blue flash with a shield.

Like Trillhouse said though, it gets kinda tricky because different people have different moves. Shugoki has a grab attack which is unblockable (orange) so that kinda looks like a guard break.

Gotcha thanks. It just seemed like the slomo seemed like it was giving me a chance to do something but I wasn't sure what. I'll try timing a dodge or parry next time it happens, thanks