Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Soooo, do you have chunks of spring and/or spring boss floating in your crank case?

I really hope it's not floating, but it's quite likely laying in the bottom of the case. I'm not terribly concerned with it making its way into the spinny bits but watch me eat my words in the next couple days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

There are passageways between the shift drum/clutch area and the transmission area. Go easy young biker

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
O_O I was thinking he meant like an external spring. I wouldn't even move a bike at all if I thought there was loose metal in there.

Unrelated- The exhaust slider I purchased to protect my fancy exhaust melted on the first ride, permanently damaging my fancy exhaust. :argh: The company won't even do anything for me but say "yeah, those 690s get pretty hot. Should have used 2 heat strips". COOL.

An RG Hex slider will cover the damage and make it look cool again so whatever, lesson learned.

Also Unrelated- KTM can't design on their first try a gas cap that doesn't leak gas so now I get to make a viton rubber gasket of my own to fix their design problems. At least it's cheap, and the bike is well documented.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
I still have yet to buy oven cleaner to get my melted clarks boot sole off the tuono's pipe

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
That works? The melted part is so close to the carbon fiber cap I'd probably damage it. :(

Countdown until some faired fucktard rolls in and expresses how this has never happened to them because they have bodywork. :smuggo:

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008

Coydog posted:

stockholm syndrome

I sat on a 690 Duke this weekend at the International Motorcycle Show here in Chicago, and it was maybe the most comfortable fit all day, but your affinity for the ranting thread reaffirms that I shouldn't buy a KTM if I want to just ride it.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

KTM 690s always seem like the perfect bike, and everyone raves about them, and I don't doubt they completely live up to that raving, and I'd like to own one, but goddamn if they don't give off an incredible Volkswagen vibe - when it comes to the topic of reliability it's all rosy (with several silent asterisks that you only hear about when it isn't specifically brought up.)

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Dutymode posted:

I sat on a 690 Duke this weekend at the International Motorcycle Show here in Chicago, and it was maybe the most comfortable fit all day, but your affinity for the ranting thread reaffirms that I shouldn't buy a KTM if I want to just ride it.

If it's not too far (it's just north of O'Hare), you should go to Motor Cycle Center in Villa Park. They have a whole demo fleet parked outside the store, usually Ducs and KTMs.

The sales people are pretty cool, and they always have a ton of bikes in the shop. I like to ride there from my house on the occasional weekend to see what they have in stock. In fact, it's going to be nice on Saturday...

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Someone on ADVrider, probably Brimley, put it best: "The 690 is a fantastic bike under a handful of documented and resolvable issues. Fix those, and you have an incredible motorcycle"

For a supermoto, they are the best out of the box. Nothing else in our market comes close to the comfort and performance. Deep down, the 690 starts every time, and I never worry if it will get me home. All the quirky stuff makes me THINK it's less reliable, but that isn't reality. It's the sumo I always wanted and the sumo I still want to keep for a long while. It's not a hypermotard, which snowcat has convinced me are paperweights from hell.

Thing is- the few problems haven't really cost me anything, and everything is a pretty simple DIY fix.

My EX250 gave me more problems than the 690SMC.
My SV650 gave me WAY MORE EXPENSIVE PROBLEMS than the 690SMC
My WR250X gave me NO PROBLEMS. Literally it only needed oil and gas. It had a speed wobble above 80mph, though, and was deafening in order to make fun power. Not long distance comfy.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008

captainOrbital posted:

If it's not too far (it's just north of O'Hare), you should go to Motor Cycle Center in Villa Park. They have a whole demo fleet parked outside the store, usually Ducs and KTMs.

The sales people are pretty cool, and they always have a ton of bikes in the shop. I like to ride there from my house on the occasional weekend to see what they have in stock. In fact, it's going to be nice on Saturday...

That's good to know! I also want to go by Des Plaines Honda because they were the chillest, and I kinda want a CB500X.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Coydog posted:

Also Unrelated- KTM can't design on their first try a gas cap that doesn't leak gas so now I get to make a viton rubber gasket of my own to fix their design problems. At least it's cheap, and the bike is well documented.

I've seen people replace that cap entirely with vented screw on caps a la your standard dirt bike. I'm sure there's an anodized aluminum one out there in KTM orange somewhere. You'll lose the locking functionality though.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Thanks for swooping in with the info, Jazzzzz! I looked at those but

A) They cost $150ish
B) People in my daily would steal the cap, put trash in the tank, or take muh gas

C) They only fix the issue as a side benefit since they come with Viton Rubber Orings.

KTM's major design problem was that they used orings that warped and broke down in contact with gas.... to seal the gas in the tank. :eng99: They reasonably quickly provided $3 Viton Rubber orings, but by then tons of 690's were out in the wild. I opted instead to get a Viton Rubber sheet and make an overkill gasket, like the guy in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kd5XCMhZXfY

I'm gonna be vinyl wrapping that tail soon, and I'm glad I figured out where the mess was coming from all this time.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Coydog posted:

Erik should get a job at KTM, he'd be a fantastic culture fit.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

clutchpuck posted:

Erik should get a job at KTM, he'd be a fantastic culture fit.

In fairness, this was a problem on BMW's G650X too, but it only ever came up when you put on an aux tank so the fuel level was regularly above the tank.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Finger Prince posted:

KTM 690s always seem like the perfect bike, and everyone raves about them, and I don't doubt they completely live up to that raving, and I'd like to own one, but goddamn if they don't give off an incredible Volkswagen vibe - when it comes to the topic of reliability it's all rosy (with several silent asterisks that you only hear about when it isn't specifically brought up.)

They are super VW-like in a lot of ways, especially in the way they're built for journalists instead of owners. They have heaps of those horrible matte/satin finish plastics that look/feel incredible when new but look like boiled over testacles when the bike is a few years old or seen outdoor use. They also leak oil more and more frequently than the majority of japanese bikes, and they have a bunch of idiosyncratic 'performance' bullshit that is either good or bad depending on your situation. I own one and I've worked on a bunch now and nothing I've seen has changed my opinion about this. If you get off on spectacular engineering and mechanical parts quality they have a lot of appeal, but there's also a bunch of bullshit you put up with as a matter of course that would send you laughing hysterically out of any japanese dealership.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
For the 690s specifically the worst I could say about it was 2 paper filters / 2 metal filters and expensive as gently caress oil. Besides that (oh, and that drat airbox sensor occasionally getting oil on it), mine was pretty much trouble free. The problem with 690s / stalling is inevitably "I removed all of the backpressure from the cat by swapping the muffler without changing the fueling a bit and put a bunch of hole in the airbox and now it wont idle idk".

Oh and it demands you sit on it right or it burns a hole through your pant leg, much like Apple products demand you hold them correctly.

I'd buy another one but I ride my second bike much less than I used to so gently caress it, time to buy a Husaberg FS570.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Z3n posted:

For the 690s specifically the worst I could say about it was 2 paper filters / 2 metal filters and expensive as gently caress oil. Besides that (oh, and that drat airbox sensor occasionally getting oil on it), mine was pretty much trouble free. The problem with 690s / stalling is inevitably "I removed all of the backpressure from the cat by swapping the muffler without changing the fueling a bit and put a bunch of hole in the airbox and now it wont idle idk".

Oh and it demands you sit on it right or it burns a hole through your pant leg, much like Apple products demand you hold them correctly.

I'd buy another one but I ride my second bike much less than I used to so gently caress it, time to buy a Husaberg FS570.

KTM/Husky 500 with SM wheels (or Aprilia 550) or bust.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Builds character, if you tell people to jump enough times you yourself should be required to take the dive.

I would gladly own a 300exc sumo, though.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Slavvy posted:

They are super VW-like in a lot of ways, especially in the way they're built for journalists instead of owners.
That's very well put. And similar to the fading plastics, last year's 690 Duke R had silver stickers and I've seen those start to bubble still in the dealership.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

builds character posted:

KTM/Husky 500 with SM wheels (or Aprilia 550) or bust.

I mean the 570 is the skunk works 500. Plus who can resist the flat dongish nature of the horizontal cylinder.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Z3n posted:

I mean the 570 is the skunk works 500. Plus who can resist the flat dongish nature of the horizontal cylinder.

Yeah, but 12 fewer lbs and, conveniently, 12 more hp on the new KTMs(also, 12000 more dollars). People do really love their bergs though.

Coydog posted:

Builds character, if you tell people to jump enough times you yourself should be required to take the dive.

I would gladly own a 300exc sumo, though.

Currently looking for sumo wheels for my beta 390. But yes, I am well aware of the failure that is my lack of an aprilia sxv5.5

E: 300 or 350?

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
My FJR didn't want to start this morning at 7AM, 25*F. It cranked and cranked and cranked but just wouldn't fire up.

Fortunately I didn't actually have somewhere I *HAD* to be so I waited an hour until it warmed up a few more degrees and tried again. Still took a minute but it got going.

PCOS Bill fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Feb 16, 2017

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

PCOS Bill posted:

My FJR didn't want to start this morning at 7AM, 25*F. It cranked and cranked and cranked but just wouldn't fire up.

Fortunately I didn't actually have somewhere I *HAD* to be so I waited an hour until it warmed up a few more degrees and tried again. Still took a minute but it got going.

use ether, dont let the bike make u look like a bitch

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Decent Nas beef raps always get me going, so why wouldn't that translate to the bike?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Wrap the engine in freshly cooked steak-umms for heating, aroma, and a quick meal after it starts.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

EX250 Type R posted:

use ether, dont let the bike make u look like a bitch

Using ether is fun and hilarious.

e: Like, to spray into carbs and poo poo to make the engine go

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
I think we can also acknowledge that working on motorcycles puts you at a higher risk for abusing enjoying inhalants

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Yerok posted:

I think we can also acknowledge that working on motorcycles puts you at a higher risk for abusing enjoying inhalants

Nothing like that asbestos stink when someone blows their transmission in traffic.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Jazzzzz posted:

I've seen people replace that cap entirely with vented screw on caps a la your standard dirt bike. I'm sure there's an anodized aluminum one out there in KTM orange somewhere. You'll lose the locking functionality though.

Welp. Looks like I get to drop $150 on one of these and hope that nobody messes with my gas tank while parked. My Viton rubber gasket worked, but it's also leaking out of the oring on the cap itself, which I couldn't disassemble far enough to get to.

I could buy an OEM cap and swap my lock over, but why buy something you know is going to fail?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Splodge the whole cap up with Vaseline from. Fill every crevice with it. Might work.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
That's an idea. I'll use some nano lube or silicone grease.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Coydog posted:

why buy something you know is going to fail?

Heart, soul, personality, character, heritage, Diesel StyleTM, :italy:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Coydog posted:

That's an idea. I'll use some nano lube or silicone grease.

I would recommend actual petrolatum/petroleum jelly. If a glob falls in the tank, you don't want to gently caress up the fuel pump or injectors or something.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Chichevache posted:

sorry, he rides a KTM. that Diesel style is for Ducati poseurs like me

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Chichevache posted:

I already have petrol all over my ride, and you are suggesting I get Diesel TM all over it?

Finger Prince posted:

I would recommend actual petrolatum/petroleum jelly. If a glob falls in the tank, you don't want to gently caress up the fuel pump or injectors or something.

Point taken. That stuff is messy, though. I'd rather find a permanent fix, but I'll try it.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait
I (finally) catch up to the thread, and the last post was 9 days ago? My rant is not enough ranting!

OK, I lied. My real rant is screwing up my back, just a few weeks after buying my ZX14. This bike is amazing, and not just for the power.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Flint Ironstag posted:

I (finally) catch up to the thread, and the last post was 9 days ago? My rant is not enough ranting!

OK, I lied. My real rant is screwing up my back, just a few weeks after buying my ZX14. This bike is amazing, and not just for the power.

It's winter for most posters.

Isolationist
Oct 18, 2005

The implication.
I can't rant since my last rant involved totalling my motorbike. Will start ranting again when I'm back on two wheels.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Rant: I am probably getting an L5S1 disc fusion this year and have to sell my bike :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

PaintVagrant posted:

Rant: I am probably getting an L5S1 disc fusion this year and have to sell my bike :smith:

:(