Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Coolguye posted:

also could you point to precisely where i'm super mad about things because i'm really not seeing this. i called your solution a 'hot take'. did you really consider that so offensive? i mean if so i'm sorry but seriously dude that was not a vicious raging attack.
Yes but you provided a detailed response to his post, pointing out how bad the idea that he was defending was, so he obviously has to get upset and angry about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Dejawesp posted:

No kidding.

That animal skeleton turns that screenshot into a piece of art.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Carcer posted:

That animal skeleton turns that screenshot into a piece of art.

i was taken in by the foyer beyond the killbox being caked in blood and grime myself

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I'm genuinely a little surprised his colonists get the luxury of cooked food.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

You have to follow the beat!
Colonists bleed a lot, go figure. I think it's a cultural thing on that planet.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Even the thousand-meal freezer has filth all in it. 40 colonists and not one janitor.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Mzbundifund posted:

Even the thousand-meal freezer has filth all in it. 40 colonists and not one janitor.

I think it had nearly a hundred colonists during that screenshot.

It was when I had made the mistake of placing something like 50 deep drills at the same time and people were so busy hauling that cleaning was neglected all together. The drills were also very far away from the base so people got depressed and started fights far away from medical staff. People would get hungry, wander aimlessly hundred of squares from the base and then collapse from starvation once the "wander mental break" passed. It was an interesting time.

cugel
Jan 22, 2010
Finally, a siege! Time to test the Boomalope Defense. I send fifteen males!

It's not very effective, but it's funny, they are a great distraction. Since fire summon rain, it's time for my four mortars.

First volley, direct hit on the shells! I've never been so lucky with mortars. They go directly from assaulting to fleeing.

You've done a good job Boomalope number 31, now you will bleed to death, it's too dangerous to attempt a rescue...

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Dejawesp posted:

No kidding.

This is why my mountain base/vault has an even deeper vault of its own with its own area I can immediately restrict people to once the drop pods come in:

Deja's colonies are like I Am Legend

He thinks he's trying to escape when in reality he's actually the monster that is consuming the planet's population

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

How dare you keep those things anywhere near your town? (boomalopes I mean)

Dejawesp fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Feb 16, 2017

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Crashing through the roof of the main entrance wasn't the worst spot they could have landed in but it was certainly a surprise and I don't like fighting aliens in close quarters.

cugel
Jan 22, 2010
It's just area restrictions, like so:

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I will always love Deja for his "Raiders of the Lost Ark final shot"-esque graveyard

Majestic is the word that comes to mind

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Comptroll The Forums posted:

Yes, but what if a "rimworld" dog actually has an average lifespan of 80 years? You're trying to entrench the "problem" by insisting that animals on an alien planet surrounded by alien animals and alien plants and alien technologies must be just like Earth dogs because... why?

Because the lore of RimWorld is that the Earth animals are from the colony ship which is now breaking up in the atmosphere, you absolute nonce. The whole reason your starting 3 are stranded on the rimworld. That's the entire point of the game, it's on the loving title screen.

Whatever game it is you want RimWorld to be, it is not that game. Go play that game.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

I think your bedrooms are too big. Too much space for barely any mood gain. Also I like to always use double beds because after awhile it seems everyone shacks up with someone and the penalty for not having a double bed for a couple is pretty high, as is the mood bonus. Double beds in 3x4 or 3x5 rooms with a statue are enough to give everyone a positive room mood bonus if you care about such things. The real mood bonus comes from making the places your guys are actually awake in opulent.

I conversely think that large bedrooms are good because since when do you need to worry about space?

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Because the lore of RimWorld is that the Earth animals are from the colony ship which is now breaking up in the atmosphere, you absolute nonce. The whole reason your starting 3 are stranded on the rimworld. That's the entire point of the game, it's on the loving title screen.

Whatever game it is you want RimWorld to be, it is not that game. Go play that game.

Not, I think, actually a colony ship, just a random ship, the reason there are earth animals everywhere is because nobody ever invented FTL travel or communication so while the universe is full of people, none of the planets actually have proper links to each other and most of them are shitholes destroyed by war with the remnants of half a dozen failed civilizations on them.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Feb 16, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Space efficiency is very important because a huge portion of productivity is eaten up with walking. The more compact and space efficient the base, the more productive.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

I conversely think that large bedrooms are good because since when do you need to worry about space?
large bedrooms can be a luxury that adds up due to the walks involved to/from dormitories. 13x13 bedrooms like i was doing are generally ok when you have 3-5 colonists, but when you get up to a dozen you're talking about an extra ~40-50 tiles of walk every day for a +5 moodlet. at some point it just doesn't become worth it anymore.

this could be limited with better colony planning making high traffic areas more valuable but i haven't quite figured out how to plan that out so it's also modular and easy to use. z-levels would of course make the problem trivial but we don't have those.

there's also ostensibly the colony wealth argument but the reality of the situation is that colony wealth is GOING to go up, the only thing you can do is be responsible for your first year or two while you get quality weapons, devilstrand clothing, and armor for your colonists. after that yeah who gives a crap

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Get the realistic rooms mod so colonists aren't demanding a palace for every building for a minuscule mood boost.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
How are you mountain fort guys dealing with pawns becoming stir crazy and needing to go outside?

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Teikanmi posted:

I will always love Deja for his "Raiders of the Lost Ark final shot"-esque graveyard

Majestic is the word that comes to mind

Aww thanks! I had so many hopes and dreams for that graveyard but my save suffers from memory issues so I'm having a hard time expanding.

I had the dream of multiple drop pod squads who roamed settlements for prisoners for my graveyard but attacking other towns is very unstable.

Partially due to memory issues of running multiple maps but also because the colonist control just isn't for fighting. When loading the pods with 10 soldiers. 9 solders will take one item each and the 10th has to load the rest of the supplies. This means that loading the pods take forever, soldiers arrive tired and hungry and so after a fight they need to sleep.

If you need time to set up an ambush soldiers will soon start to break the lines to eat/sleep or have minor breakdowns. The game barely gives any time to recover after a victory or treat wounded to soldiers who are just patched up will often get infections and then die on the walk back. Even relatively young and healthy ones.

Carcer posted:

How are you mountain fort guys dealing with pawns becoming stir crazy and needing to go outside?

I never gave it any thought. People have so much outdoor stuff to do any way. Mine ores out of the mountains, chop wood, hunt.

The only breakdown that matters at all is berserk and then you just draft the 4 nearest colonists and set them to melee attack the person going berserk.

Mood is almost inconsequential since there's always people available to subdue people who are out of line.

Not counting serious mood effects like a crashed ship or a dead relative or drug withdrawal.

Dejawesp fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Feb 16, 2017

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Carcer posted:

7*7 bedrooms :)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Carcer posted:

Walled courtyard generally does it fine.

Otherwise I actually don't think I've had the need to go outside show up in a very long time, not sure if it's even a thing anymore.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The only time I've seen cabin fever were on people with malaria stuck in hospital all month. People will go for walks and stargazer and poo poo on their own when they need it, no cave adaptation.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Coolguye posted:

large bedrooms can be a luxury that adds up due to the walks involved to/from dormitories. 13x13 bedrooms like i was doing are generally ok when you have 3-5 colonists, but when you get up to a dozen you're talking about an extra ~40-50 tiles of walk every day for a +5 moodlet. at some point it just doesn't become worth it anymore.

this could be limited with better colony planning making high traffic areas more valuable but i haven't quite figured out how to plan that out so it's also modular and easy to use. z-levels would of course make the problem trivial but we don't have those.

there's also ostensibly the colony wealth argument but the reality of the situation is that colony wealth is GOING to go up, the only thing you can do is be responsible for your first year or two while you get quality weapons, devilstrand clothing, and armor for your colonists. after that yeah who gives a crap

I generally find just putting bedrooms on the corridors and digging/building in a grid works quite well. Happiness improves work speed after all. Also I think the moodlet can go up to +8 if you really pack in the swag, supposedly? It definitely goes higher than extremely impressive, it just kind of tends to plateau there for a while.

It might not be strictly optimal in terms of getting work out of people but a constant, non removable mood effect on every colonist is a potent thing in terms of making your colony resistant to mood shocks.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i've seen cabin fever when i locked up a multi-addict who was also depressive in order to make him sleep off his addictions

i eventually gave him an open-air courtyard because he was going into so many mental breaks he was threatening to punch down the walls.

but i think we can all agree that one's a pretty hard edge case.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Coolguye posted:

i've seen cabin fever when i locked up a multi-addict who was also depressive in order to make him sleep off his addictions

i eventually gave him an open-air courtyard because he was going into so many mental breaks he was threatening to punch down the walls.

but i think we can all agree that one's a pretty hard edge case.

Sounds like he's abusing his leg privilege to me.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

ironically it was still cheaper in terms of pawn time i think. i had someone drop in a season's worth of pemmican and walled him in, then basically left him there. every couple of days he would threaten to break down a wall with his fists, so i'd have someone come by and repair the wall. then when it got to be too annoying to have him constantly kicking off, i just built a small walled annex that was unroofed next door and then tore down the separating walls while he was sleeping.

compared to the doctor time and the time feeding him i'm about 60% sure i came out ahead, and this way was both funny as hell and illustrated the utility of double-thick walls.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Coolguye posted:

ironically it was still cheaper in terms of pawn time i think. i had someone drop in a season's worth of pemmican and walled him in, then basically left him there. every couple of days he would threaten to break down a wall with his fists, so i'd have someone come by and repair the wall. then when it got to be too annoying to have him constantly kicking off, i just built a small walled annex that was unroofed next door and then tore down the separating walls while he was sleeping.

compared to the doctor time and the time feeding him i'm about 60% sure i came out ahead, and this way was both funny as hell and illustrated the utility of double-thick walls.

Hm yes I can see the entertainment value in keeping him as a caged animal.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

yea i never claimed to be nice

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Is there any mod for single item display cases?

I don't like to have to keep two items on every bench everywhere.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Dejawesp posted:

I never gave it any thought.

I knew your solution would be "Who cares".

Doesn't the penalty get larger over time, so things like big bedrooms and other static bonuses won't help eventually?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

starts at -7 after 3 days, goes to -15 after....i think a week?

doesn't get any worse than -15, but remember that -15 is like having your hunger bar under 10%.

e: or being in so much pain you're just short of shock.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Or eating a raw human head for lunch.

cugel
Jan 22, 2010

Carcer posted:

I make some smaller rooms with no access to the main compound with leisure activities, also outside tables and chairs.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

on the 'fields are too small' observation- does it matter that i'm in temperate forest with year round growing? those fields are basically constantly getting turned over.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
It matters in that you're leaving a very small margin for error. If you recruit a few more pawns (or just take a few prisoners) and then get a toxic fallout event you can suddenly find yourself starving.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

How do you even build underground?

cugel
Jan 22, 2010

Coolguye posted:

yea i never claimed to be nice

You play rimworld and do so many terrible things; before playing this my worst behavior in a video game was Medieval II: Total War and my french kings, alcoholic, scarred and murderous shitbags who used peasants to fix the adversaries armies before the charge of my knights.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

or your sibling dying

haha this is fun

Efexeye posted:

on the 'fields are too small' observation- does it matter that i'm in temperate forest with year round growing? those fields are basically constantly getting turned over.

not really. think of it this way: every tile you cultivate will, at the absolute worst case scenario, waste a small amount of a grower's time. that's basically the case when you plant something but then cannot harvest it due to fire/blight/whatever. beyond that, you are making the sun and soil do work for you creating goods and wealth. or, as mzbundifund points out, saving you from starvation. the real question is, how many plots can your growers reasonably handle before it becomes a real problem to harvest, haul, and hoard it all?

this is especially true with regard to devilstrand - because it takes so long to grow, it effectively means that you forget about it for 30+ days at a time after you put it in the ground. you should pretty reasonably be rocking a couple thousand of raw food and berries in your freezer by this point. Even if it becomes a problem to hold all of those potatoes and strawberries, you can just call in a bulk goods trader and sell off like 5k of them in return for wood, steel, plasteel, gold, etc that you would otherwise put a fair bit of work into obtaining. you can then turn those things into art, weapons, and decorations to both improve your compound and make sure you hold onto it.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

How do you even build underground?

you play on a mountainous map and mine into the mountains, which will cover half the area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I would love if there were a way to mine into a mountain tile, like hitting the edge of the map and moving to a map of just solid rock aside from a couple tiles of mined out area. I know it would be cheap since raiders couldn't really get in, but I want a deep mountain vault for the chosen few while the unworthy guard the entrance outside.

I want just a touch more Dwarf Fortress basically :smith: Cave biomes was great, but the second you dig in any direction you open up another large swath of the map