Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
How do you parey?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I swear different characters must have different recovery frames. Whenever I play Valk I can never land a strong attack after a knock down but as Shugoki I cannot recover fast enough against a Valkyrie to block it.

Darth Windu posted:

How do you parey?

Strong attack right before their attack connects. Pay attention during a foes attack and you'll notice the red guard indicator starts flashing right before they hit. That is the timing during which you can strong attack to parry them.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Internet Kraken posted:

That seems pretty broken. The punishment of losing stamina and having the attack negated seems like its harsh enough.

EDIT: Is there a way to report all these people with swastika emblems.

Kensei and Nobushi will sometimes be out of parry range, due to the fact that their weapons are six miles long, but yeah.

If you click on their profile you can report them specifically for "offensive symbol".

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Internet Kraken posted:

That seems pretty broken. The punishment of losing stamina and having the attack negated seems like its harsh enough.

Yeah. Click on their name and hit "report offensive emblem."

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

So are you always guaranteed a free guard break after a parry?

No, some characters like Nobushi and Kensei will be parried out of range of your guard break.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Rainuwastaken posted:

Kensei and Nobushi will sometimes be out of parry range, due to the fact that their weapons are six miles long, but yeah.

If you click on their profile you can report them specifically for "offensive symbol".

Wait, there's such a thing as parry range? I had no idea. All this loving time, I've been wondering why it's super difficult to parry against Kensei. Now that I think about it, he is always about a dodges distance back.

Are you 100% sure about that or are you just brosciencing right now?

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Blegh, I meant guard break range after a parry. Brain problems.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Loopoo posted:

Wait, there's such a thing as parry range? I had no idea. All this loving time, I've been wondering why it's super difficult to parry against Kensei. Now that I think about it, he is always about a dodges distance back.

Are you 100% sure about that or are you just brosciencing right now?

Yeah! You can't get a guaranteed guard break after parry gainst Nobushi, Lawbringer and sometimes Kensei depending on how far you were from him.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I'm actually starting to get a bit better now. 156 kills to 309 deaths, but I'm definitely becoming more aware of the enemy's moves, I've managed to successfully perform feints and I've even pulled a few counter guard breaks off, which were nearly impossible for me.

Still not going to win most 1v1s, but at this point I'll accept any fight where I've whittled the enemy down to nearly no health.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Songbearer posted:

I'm actually starting to get a bit better now. 156 kills to 309 deaths, but I'm definitely becoming more aware of the enemy's moves, I've managed to successfully perform feints and I've even pulled a few counter guard breaks off, which were nearly impossible for me.

Still not going to win most 1v1s, but at this point I'll accept any fight where I've whittled the enemy down to nearly no health.

Where do you get full stats? Ubisoft stat tracking only says 1.4 kda for me.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Internet Kraken posted:

the only thing more immature than a swastika emblem is someone rushing to find a way to report it

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

panda clue posted:

the only thing more immature than a swastika emblem is someone rushing to find a way to report it

:ironicat:

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

panda clue posted:

this isn't remotely true lmao do you have a single opinion that doesn't belong in a gas station toilet

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Horseshit you did

Hurr durr guys I'm the bestest ever I can block every single attack. Whats that? You wanna see me do it? uhhhh here's some streamer I found leave me alone! :cry:

That's a video of two guys loving around in practice. Show me an actual duel between people trying to win who aren't friends. And do it yourself since you claim you can so easily.

But you're not going to because you loving can't. You're full of poo poo.

hello again

i decided to purchase for honor on steam today to test out that theory and it turns out i was able to go against a level 3 orochi bot for 2 rounds without him being able to land a single succesful hit on me. i could have gone longer but i figured the 6 minutes of the same 5 attacks bouncing off my block was enough and my eyes started to feel dry on the 5th minute

also i used a bot because i figured you'd complain about the other person being poo poo or being my friend or something. the bot still utilizes the same techniques a player can for breaking someone's defense, so i figured this was a fair compromise. the only attack that the bot didn't utilize was the zoning attack and i could have also blocked that on reflex, or just left my block on the right side to take care of it entirely

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxLyU6nh10s

i managed to produce this video in about half an hour so i can get a full refund on the game if i want to (thanks european union consumer laws)

panda clue
May 23, 2014

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

this isn't remotely true lmao do you have a single opinion that doesn't belong in a gas station toilet

Please Don't Get Offended By Video Game Emblems

thanks and god bless

panda clue fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Feb 16, 2017

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Yeah! You can't get a guaranteed guard break after parry gainst Nobushi, Lawbringer and sometimes Kensei depending on how far you were from him.

Ew, why throw away cool points on a lame guard break when you can overhead heavy them or Orochi's sexy Riptide Strike? If I wanna grab someone, I'll do it after a feint.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Minorkos posted:

hello again

i decided to purchase for honor on steam today to test out that theory and it turns out i was able to go against a level 3 orochi bot for 2 rounds without him being able to land a single succesful hit on me. i could have gone longer but i figured the 6 minutes of the same 5 attacks bouncing off my block was enough and my eyes started to feel dry on the 5th minute

also i used a bot because i figured you'd complain about the other person being poo poo or being my friend or something. the bot still utilizes the same techniques a player can for breaking someone's defense, so i figured this was a fair compromise. the only attack that the bot didn't utilize was the zoning attack and i could have also blocked that on reflex, or just left my block on the right side to take care of it entirely

i managed to produce this video in about half an hour so i can get a full refund on the game if i want to (thanks european union consumer laws)

:eyepop:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Like Jesus talk about answering a loving CHALLENGE.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I don't care if you agree or disagree with Minorkos argument, you have to admire this level of dedication to GAME SCIENCE.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I finally got around to giving Shugoki a proper try, and holy poo poo he's the best. Sure, he's got some obvious weaknesses, but he's so drat satisfying to play that I don't even care. Few things are as satisfying as seeing an enemy open up with a carefully timed feinted combo while I just stand there like an rear end in a top hat, take the hit on the chin, and hit them in the dick with my giant club.

Bots don't feint, almost never cancel, and rarely guardbreak, so I dunno what you think you're proving there.

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!

panda clue posted:

thanks and god bless

God drat that's tasteless. 10/10 would report every time. The immaturity of gamers truly is limitless.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Clearly those two guys need to 1v1 now

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

panda clue posted:

Look dude I play video games to get away from politics not be reminded of them.

panda clue posted:

thanks and god bless

Now see at least that took a degree of creativity.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

2 SPOOKY posted:

God drat that's tasteless. 10/10 would report every time. The immaturity of gamers truly is limitless.

You might be on the wrong internet comedy forum

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Loopoo posted:

It was funny as hell when it was new, but now the rage and salt is getting stale.

Ive played for about 8 hours and haven't encountered any of the supposed salt or rage.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Perestroika posted:

I finally got around to giving Shugoki a proper try, and holy poo poo he's the best. Sure, he's got some obvious weaknesses, but he's so drat satisfying to play that I don't even care. Few things are as satisfying as seeing an enemy open up with a carefully timed feinted combo while I just stand there like an rear end in a top hat, take the hit on the chin, and hit them in the dick with my giant club.

Bots don't feint, almost never cancel, and rarely guardbreak, so I dunno what you think you're proving there.

if you could just find the time to watch the video like i took time off my busy schedule to make that video, you'd find that the bot does feint, cancel and guard break in the video. it's a level 3 bot, and they're typically considered fairly competent like in this video where some fucko gets wrecked by one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnkXKFczuAM

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

I spend too much time stealing logos.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Exmond posted:

Ive played for about 8 hours and haven't encountered any of the supposed salt or rage.

Probably cause you've only played for 8 hours so you're not at a stage where you're super in-tune with your class to the point where you can obliterate enemies. You won't experience salt if you're not completely trashing your opponents.

Also, Minorkos, that bot did a pretty poor job of everything. Granted, you managed to cancel out of guard breaks, so fair enough. A real Orochi player would be much harder cause they don't do that weird AI brain fart stuff where it sorta wobbles around not sure what it's gonna do next. Oh, I just watched that streamer go against the Berserker bot, the Berserker bot is way more intense than the Orochi one was.

And to the guy that said the bot Orochi didn't feint, it feinted a fair few times, and quite well to boot.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Feb 16, 2017

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Minorkos posted:

hello again

Where's the part where you try to beat the bot?

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Perestroika posted:

The bot feinted an overhead swing at around 0:40, so....

I can respect that kind of defense though, jesus. My reaction speed is nowhere near that good.

Donnerberg posted:

I spend too much time stealing logos.

As much as I love the Knights, the round crest design really tempts me to swap to Viking at some point. I'd steal that Overwatch one but it'd just look weird if it wasn't circular.

Rainuwastaken fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Feb 16, 2017

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Where's the part where you try to beat the bot?

in the next video where that is demanded of me

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!

hemale in pain posted:

You might be on the wrong internet comedy forum

In the 7 years I've been posting in games/tradgames i could count the number of 9/11 jokes or ironic swastikas I've seen on one hand, so not really? :shrug:

The low-effort ~controversy~ of making offensive emblems is just lazy, unimpressive trolling. At least put in some effort.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Chomp8645 posted:

I don't care if you agree or disagree with Minorkos argument, you have to admire this level of dedication to GAME SCIENCE.

loving Game science bro!

Looks pretty good, there are a few arguments where the feints may trip you up (Your actively defending, not trying to attack the bot), but I think you have some valid criticisms and have proven them.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
You need an emblem of a stickman pushed off a cliff to offend the for honor crowd.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Minorkos posted:

in the next video where that is demanded of me

I'd be more impressed of a twitch vod of you doing this against actual players multiple times instead of a youtube vs a single bot that you could have hosed up three dozen times and saved the single good run to show off. Props for at least buying the game and trying, though!

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

panda clue posted:

I'd be more impressed of a twitch vod of you doing this against actual players multiple times instead of a youtube vs a single bot that you could have hosed up three dozen times and saved the single good run to show off. Props for at least buying the game and trying, though!

i'd be more impressed if you stopped replying to me altogether

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Minorkos posted:

Like him or not, he has a point.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Minorkos posted:

so I'm guessing I was right and you managed to get a lucky string of blocks against a bot once, gotcha

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Good to know level 3 bots are supposed to fart you up, I got creamed by the Valkyrie one and got so frustrated I threw my cat

Recruiting heroes lets you customize their stats right? Or is it just cosmetic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Darth Windu posted:

Good to know level 3 bots are supposed to fart you up, I got creamed by the Valkyrie one and got so frustrated I threw my cat

Recruiting heroes lets you customize their stats right? Or is it just cosmetic

Your cat better be okay or so help me god I'll throw you off a cliff and then spam Good Fight!

Yeah, you need to recruit them in order to equip gear and feats, which is where all the stat customization is.