Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Avulsion posted:

The entire 1632 series is available online. It's about a small town full of West Virginian coal miners that get teleported back to 17th century Germany and decide to gently caress up history.
Just finished 1632. You said this is a series? Where is the rest?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Jackard posted:

just google the title + read online. the next book is titled 1633

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Law Cheetah posted:

just google the title + read online. the next book is titled 1633

That's really funny, because it just makes sense.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
ironically, i'm reading 1633 now as well and i'm pretty sure it actually takes place in 1634

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Law Cheetah posted:

ironically, i'm reading 1633 now as well and i'm pretty sure it actually takes place in 1634

It's like how the 20th century actually takes place in the 1900s.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Jackard posted:

The series is huge, the reading order can be confusing, and a lot of it is written by different authors so it may not measure up.

List of books: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1632_series

Read order: http://www.ericflint.net/index.php/1632-series-reading-order/

:filez: :This site hosts Baen publishing's free CDs, which contain a great many books in a variety of digital formats, the 1635 CD has much of the 1632 series on it.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Avulsion posted:

The series is huge, the reading order can be confusing, and a lot of it is written by different authors so it may not measure up.

:suspense:

Thanks for read order, my search results were confusing and I didn't want spoiled

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
oh my god in ztj chen changsheng finally got out of that grueling extended chase sequence and then immediately ended up in a more or less identical situation

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
Oh man I haven't read any of the 1636 era stuff i am ages behind

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
A new twist on the reincarnation genre.

http://www.novelupdates.com/series/panties-reincarnation-im-a-pair-of-panties-so-what/

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!

Novelupdates posted:

Panties Reincarnation. I’m a Pair of Panties, so What?

Description

While playing a mobile game the main character is hit by a shooting star and reincarnated into another world. He finds that the star granted the wish he made, but not in the way he intended.

:suicide: :suicide: :suicide: :suicide: :suicide: :suicide: :suicide: :suicide:

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Someone link the reincarnated as a vending machine one, that's the gold standard for reincarnation WNs.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

It looks like a straight up parody from the prologue+first chapter.

quote:

Panty-Girls,nicknamed Pan-Girls, are summoned and grow in a collection of girls, used in a combat formation. Their levels are raised and they can be evolved, with the aim of being the strongest panty force in the game.

…I say that to myself but what’s with that, its a messed up (in the head) kind of game.

quote:

In other words, not only panties but men’s underwear were personified, also.

By the way, in that case they’re nicknamed panty-guys or panguys…

“White Breifs, what did my eyes…”

The screen showed, wearing white briefs, a tank top girl-like guy with no woman’s panties to be seen. The hem of the tank top was long, and made it look like a dress, that was strangely cute and also infuriating.

quote:

I digress, the girl-like guy, ‘White Briefs’ was at least better than ‘G-String’, the muscular old man that pointed his arse at the screen; who’d play that!? The manly personification of a women’s underwear pose and the feminine personification of men’s underwear; how’d they make that mistake!?

The first thing that happens to the MC upon reincarnation is being found by a hot young mother... who promptly uses him as a diaper for her baby.

Of course, knowing Japan, this will turn out to be a fakeout and it'll end up just as awful as everything else.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

oh my god in ztj chen changsheng finally got out of that grueling extended chase sequence and then immediately ended up in a more or less identical situation

i want chen and phoenix girl to find out about each other and start dating already :3

and it took me until now to figure out that the female that Su Li keeps whining internally about is actually probably the secret girl character who's now falling in love with Wolf Guy. for some reason until now i thought he was talking about phoenix girl

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that's the only other important female human character who was in the garden, yeah. plus she belongs to the same school as su li, so it would be stranger if it wasn't her. i don't think the rest even got names.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

It was pretty clear who it was quite a bit before the "reveal". Just like how Chen Changsheng's senior brother is the queen's only remaining child.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
Because kumoko hasnt gotten a new chapter in ages i started looking at more WN's because i needed my Non Human Protagonist Fix.

So i started reading The Experimental Log of the Crazy Lich

It's about a Undead Lich which is trying to do good. Of course he is a reincarnator from earth, but instead of him being blessed by the system, the system seems to actively hate him and trick him.

And i'm loving it, it's really funny. There is a lot of good humor in this. Also the way how the protagonist takes care of his problems is really good. Mostly done without fighting even. There are some good fights to but this isn't what the series focuses on. The Law is actually a gigantic part of this WN. But i won't spoil any more on that.

The setting is great to. It's basically a DND setting. The story starts out in a very special city in the Underdark. All of the races and some of the gods are pulled straight out of DND to. It is its own world though with its own pantheon of gods.

Yeah it is yet another WN with a necromancer as the protagonist, but its so much different then overlord and seoul station, and so far better then em both. I could see this becoming an anime one day.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Captain_duck posted:

Because kumoko hasnt gotten a new chapter in ages

It seems like the Kumoko author is busy writing the good parts of Kumoko again, instead of continuing the WN version.
Volume 4 of the novel version was almost completely new content, and while volume 5 seems to be back on track so far, it's still all new text instead of just a slightly edited version of the web release.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!

Tamba posted:

It seems like the Kumoko author is busy writing the good parts of Kumoko again, instead of continuing the WN version.
Volume 4 of the novel version was almost completely new content, and while volume 5 seems to be back on track so far, it's still all new text instead of just a slightly edited version of the web release.

Are these LN's even available in english?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Captain_duck posted:

Are these LN's even available in english?

lol no

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Risou no Himo Seikatsu got a manga adaptation. First couple pages are NSFW.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!

Thats what i thought.

So Tamba, as we say in dutch: "Je hebt me blij gemaakt met een dode mus".

Anyway go read Crazy Lich everyone.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Errrr, somehow they went and released Saihate no Paladin in English all of a sudden. The first volume was unusually well written for a web novel, so it could be worth checking out the translation.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i wasn't aware before, but apparently there are a bunch of translated ln's on kindle.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

i wasn't aware before, but apparently there are a bunch of translated ln's on kindle.

Are they any good?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Kaja Rainbow posted:

Are they any good?

damned if i know. like i'm gonna pay for death march.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I bought the Re:Zero LN from Amazon, but Subaru is too annoying to deal with in text form. I couldn't get more than 20 pages into it.

I recently finished Soulsmith (Cradle Book 2). Pretty good, but a bit less gripping than the first. I hope book 3 builds on the strengths of the setting and characters.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

brainwrinkle posted:

I bought the Re:Zero LN from Amazon, but Subaru is too annoying to deal with in text form. I couldn't get more than 20 pages into it.

I bought the LN too but haven't read very far into it either, though in my case it's more that I sort of forgot about it. One thing I do like from the LN that didn't really make it into the anime is that Subaru has flashes of self-awareness about his tendency to talk nonsense.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Getting his stream of consciousness inner monologue is Too loving Much, and I mostly enjoyed the anime

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

brainwrinkle posted:

Getting his stream of consciousness inner monologue is Too loving Much, and I mostly enjoyed the anime

Not surprised at all, I'm finding that in general, with every transition (web novel -> light novel -> manga -> anime) another set of editors gets a pass and the material gets more tolerable. The death march manga is leagues better than the novel.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Most of the annoying parts of Subaru's personality slip away after about 3000 pages, so just hang in there. It gets better. Eventually.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
No thanks I'll just read something better

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

darkgray posted:

Most of the annoying parts of Subaru's personality slip away after about 3000 pages, so just hang in there. It gets better. Eventually.

Lol

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Captain_duck posted:

Because kumoko hasnt gotten a new chapter in ages i started looking at more WN's because i needed my Non Human Protagonist Fix.

Well it seems like the drought is over. 2 new chapters today, and the Kumoko timeline has finally reached the battle for the elf village.

Tamba fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Feb 20, 2017

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!

Tamba posted:

Well it seems like the drought is over. 2 new chapters today, and the Kumoko timeline has finally reached the battle for the elf village.

And now in only a couple chapters, the timelines have synced. The main storyline finally is where shun's POV story ended, so it's all completely new stuff from here on out!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i want to see how it ends, but after parallel will bit the dust kumoko has never been the same.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

i want to see how it ends, but after parallel will bit the dust kumoko has never been the same.

Parallel will has (somewhat) lived on in the Remnants of the Nightmare (aka those amazing brats), imho. I'd love for them to get a bigger role in the story, rather than just a cameo or two.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Feb 22, 2017

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there have been some pretty good running jokes, yeah. like how kumoko has an extended internal monologue, says the very last sentence and then abducts someone. i just think that the parallel will phase was the best part of the story. the story kind of lost focus after she became a god, you know?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

the story kind of lost focus after she became a god, you know?

Yeah, I can see what you mean. I feel like the story is very different now. Not bad, but different. The 'first' story was Kumoko learning to be an effective Combat Monster. The 'second' story was taking a standard jRPG swords and sorcery story and flipping it by having Kumoko be the mastermind behind the scenes, driving both the heroes and the villains along. Now it seems like the story will soon change again. I wonder if we'll get things on a more planetary/galactic scale? We've been told Kumoko is thinking about just ditching the planet as soon as her work is done, but she's getting all her 'personal' connections thrown in her face at the moment. I could see her temporarily leaving the setting if, say, the 'heroes' come to understand her work and reject her, but if that's the case, I would see her eventually getting lonely and returning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i don't think this story is gonna continue on a different planet. once kumoko is done with it one way or the other the story is probably gonna end.