Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
unrelated

hanging in my director's office for a quick meeting. on his whiteboard wall he has this quote

quote:

Be passionate that none of us are smarter than the collection of all of us.

i can't help but feel something got misquoted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

the stanley parable, but with more polycom phones

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
My company just told me that they wouldn't pay for anyone in my group to have a webex/gotomeeting account for working with vendors that don't supply their own solution, but we can pay for it out of pocket for our own personal accounts and they'd let us use them.

Gee, thanks guys.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

My company just told me that they wouldn't pay for anyone in my group to have a webex/gotomeeting account for working with vendors that don't supply their own solution, but we can pay for it out of pocket for our own personal accounts and they'd let us use them.

Gee, thanks guys.

lmao

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

Gee, thanks guys.

:sever:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

uncurable mlady posted:

owned, what was the project for

i was wrong, it was actually six months of work, the customer ended up reading a pretty easy to find document from the vendor that spelled out the only supported deployments, the thing we were proposing was specifically called out as not workable. customer is pissed off, but none of the poo poo will stick to me. sales didnt involve anyone outside their group and didnt read anything it seems.

lol

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park
today's gtm session ended "for inactivity" abruptly and kicked everyone out

just as well since i couldn't make out what they were saying anyway

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

we're a mess on this. Until recently our European offices all ran an internal xmpp server and used pidgin for internal chat - mainly that involved posting memes back and forth. The US used yahoo loving messenger until last year. Meanwhile devs started to adopt free-tier slack and unsuccessfully tried to get everyone else to use it before being crushed by management. They even held a "everyone use slack day" in which absolutely no-one globally got anything done other than being confused by slack. There's a few skypers out there too, actual skype, not lync with a badge hastily pasted over it

Since we got 365 globally 6 months or so ago everyone was unofficially urged to S4B but adoption is spotty. I use it and the Mac client is gradually getting slightly less lovely and it's pretty good for short burst interactions with clients i guess. just when everything was normalizing management decided Teams should be the one true collaboration method which i suppose was supposed to please the skypers, slackers and jabberers but doesn't really please anyone because its poo poo. I don't even know where s4b ends and teams starts tbh

In all of this we always have and continue to use webex for most meetings which seems to me to be the least lovely of them all but that's not saying much

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

shitface posted:

I don't even know where s4b ends and teams starts tbh

nor does microsoft

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

disable s4b integration with teams, it's on by default and very bad

teams is bad but tolerable

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

mishaq posted:

disable s4b integration with teams, it's on by default and very bad

teams is bad but tolerable

Do i still need both running then?

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

shitface posted:

yes

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

What a complete clusterfuck :saddowns:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

shitface posted:

only if you want to talk to people still on skype 4 b

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

Shaggar posted:

only if you want to talk to people still on skype 4 b

how is it possible to gently caress this up so badly? this surely can't be coming from the office team, the last and only team of any competence whatsoever at microsoft

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

shitface posted:

how is it possible to gently caress this up so badly? this surely can't be coming from the office team, the last and only team of any competence whatsoever at microsoft

lync is a telephony product

being a telephony product, it literally sets up a "call" for each IM
convo, which is why every time the same person IMs me on my mac in skype 4 business after a break and presumably closing their window, i get their messages in a brand new window even if the previous window is still open

meanwhile teams on mac works ok but on my Windows pc i have to reenter my credentials each time i turn it on

microsoft makes bad software

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
my company made A BIG DEAL about how we need to stop using WebEx and only use skype4biz and after six months, WebEx was back.

now we are ONLY supposed to use WebEx for meetings.

I give it a year before they try it again.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

trying to use skype for business with someone outside of your own organization for a meeting is the worst

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

mishaq posted:

trying to use skype for business with someone outside of your own organization for a meeting is the worst

this has been working ok-ish for me with my current client. earlier version hosed up screen sharing and calling but the current one seems ok. I think I might be on the ~insider~ version though

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

just loving fire everyone but the office team or at least take someone from office and put them in charge of the other things because its the only thing they make that isn't a complete and utter shitshow

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

mishaq posted:

lync is a telephony product

being a telephony product, it literally sets up a "call" for each IM
convo, which is why every time the same person IMs me on my mac in skype 4 business after a break and presumably closing their window, i get their messages in a brand new window even if the previous window is still open

meanwhile teams on mac works ok but on my Windows pc i have to reenter my credentials each time i turn it on

microsoft makes bad software

it literally uses SIP

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
people dont just use slack or google hangouts or biba or whatever depending on what they're trying to do?

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Sniep posted:

people dont just use slack or google hangouts or biba or whatever depending on what they're trying to do?

slack wants to charge companies $12.50/user/month for SSO AD integration lol

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

mishaq posted:

slack wants to charge companies $12.50/user/month for SSO AD integration lol

why would you want that

like literally what benefit would that offer vs. just having normal rear end accounts

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

Sniep posted:

why would you want that

like literally what benefit would that offer vs. just having normal rear end accounts

when your users gently caress up an forget both their password and recovery key there is literally no way to regain an account when you're not using sso. You tell the cfo he's a fuckhead

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

shitface posted:

when your users gently caress up an forget both their password and recovery key there is literally no way to regain an account when you're not using sso. You tell the cfo he's a fuckhead

literaly no way to regain an account when you're not ussing SSO for forgetting their password?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

Sniep posted:

literaly no way to regain an account when you're not ussing SSO for forgetting their password?

yeah you're right. I was thinking of 2fa and if you lost code for that. It happened to, um, a friend :eng99:

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Sniep posted:

why would you want that

milking money from big corporate accounts that think it's a must have. I mean that's why our poo poo has worthless AD integration

which really is not something I can object to tbh

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
if it subsidizes it for the rest of us then cool w/e

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Arcsech posted:

milking money from big corporate accounts that think it's a must have. I mean that's why our poo poo has worthless AD integration

which really is not something I can object to tbh

that stuff is a must have if you work in a big company, remembering passwords is a titanic effort for most employees and they don't make systems or use tools to track them either

we had a senior director refuse to use jama at work because he didn't remember his password and found the reset page "confusing" and "not adding value"

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Mad Wack posted:

that stuff is a must have if you work in a big company, remembering passwords is a titanic effort for most employees and they don't make systems or use tools to track them either

we had a senior director refuse to use jama at work because he didn't remember his password and found the reset page "confusing" and "not adding value"

sso is good poo poo, i already have to remember something like 5 or 6 different passwords that all change every 90 days and each have different requirements because half of them are for mainframe-era stuff that has a hard limit of 8 chars etc and no password manager

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

we started using teamwork and if you want ad integration you have to get "enterprise" which is like 10x as expensive lmao

oh and our voip system literally does not do ad integration, at all.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

at my job we have three competing sso platforms with arcane rules around which ones can be used for what

ping is reliable but "legacy" and not allowed to have new apps
azure sso is down frequently and doesn't support basic features like deep links
the third platform is another instance of ping but it's not hooked up to the corporate directory so you have to manually add employees via a flat file attached to a service now ticket

also 2 & 3 go down on a daily basis taking most of the company platforms with them

we recently found out the reason number 3 goes down so often is that it is actually the test environment of #1 but someone decided to make it corporate policy to use that one instead of prod

also there are three identity and access management teams (five if you count our subsidiaries) and they are all in a crab battle to determine which team will continue to exist

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

also, our AD is not actually a directory - it receives a very condensed feed of employees from an informatica interface to a custom built german AD instance that was made in 2003

this means if you want any information about an employee beyond their name, email, and department you need to fill out a form (in german) and request a report

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

this also means for our two most recent acquisitions (~30k employees) they cannot be migrated from their existing AD, meaning they officially do not exist.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Mad Wack posted:

at my job we have three competing sso platforms with arcane rules around which ones can be used for what

ping is reliable but "legacy" and not allowed to have new apps
azure sso is down frequently and doesn't support basic features like deep links
the third platform is another instance of ping but it's not hooked up to the corporate directory so you have to manually add employees via a flat file attached to a service now ticket

also 2 & 3 go down on a daily basis taking most of the company platforms with them

we recently found out the reason number 3 goes down so often is that it is actually the test environment of #1 but someone decided to make it corporate policy to use that one instead of prod

also there are three identity and access management teams (five if you count our subsidiaries) and they are all in a crab battle to determine which team will continue to exist

Mad Wack posted:

also, our AD is not actually a directory - it receives a very condensed feed of employees from an informatica interface to a custom built german AD instance that was made in 2003

this means if you want any information about an employee beyond their name, email, and department you need to fill out a form (in german) and request a report

Mad Wack posted:

this also means for our two most recent acquisitions (~30k employees) they cannot be migrated from their existing AD, meaning they officially do not exist.

lol amazing

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

i have a direct report from one of these groups and her compensation is listed in my manager portal as NaN

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mad Wack posted:

i have a direct report from one of these groups and her compensation is listed in my manager portal as NaN

if you have a budget of NaN does that mean spending more money doesn't change it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Mad Wack posted:

accurate for women in tech

• Locked thread