Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

I don't even have any strong opinion for or against you on this matter. I'm mainly just amused that you dropped serious money on this game purely so you could have a "you see? YOU SEE?!" moment against your Internet detractors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

so this happened when trying to load in

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Keegers posted:

so this happened when trying to load in

Map editor mode looking good

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

panda clue posted:

so I'm guessing I was right and you managed to get a lucky string of blocks against a bot once, gotcha

how much work do you expect me to do to maneuver past your mental gymnastics

i've already proven you wrong multiple times and i simply cannot be bothered to prove you wrong yet again. i have 38 minutes in For Honor right now.

that was the total time i spent setting up my graphics, tutorialing, setting up controller bindings (which i was ultimately incapable of getting to work on my xbox 360 controller despite them working in the beta) and making the video

if i spent another hour and a half producing this hypothetical magical christmas land video of me going up against all the top tier players in For Honor and proving that defense is proportionally way stronger than offense is, i would likely waste even more time and move my steam playtime over 2 hours, thus losing my chance for a refund. and that would just be stupid because i do intend to get that refund

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.

Darth Windu posted:

got so frustrated I threw my cat
For Honor: got so frustrated I threw my cat

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Minorkos posted:

in the next video where that is demanded of me

A draw is worse than losing in my opinion so your skills mean nothing

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Wandle Cax posted:

A draw is worse than losing in my opinion so your skills mean nothing

i can just beat my opponents by making them die of malnutrition irl when they tire themselves out trying to attack my impenetrable defense

FunkMonkey posted:

I don't even have any strong opinion for or against you on this matter. I'm mainly just amused that you dropped serious money on this game purely so you could have a "you see? YOU SEE?!" moment against your Internet detractors.

i only really bought the game because i knew i could get a refund. i want the game to be good so bad and i'm hoping ubisoft starts paying attention to people discussing the obscene bias the game has on defensive play so that it may some day be nerfed and i can buy the game for real. i loved the game during the beta but it just has the gameplay depth of a game of tic-tac-toe and that really bothers me

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Feb 16, 2017

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?
Okay, seriously. How the gently caress do I talk in allchat? I feel compelled to communicate with these idiots talking about how I have no honor.
It's nowhere in the keybinds.

On a more gameplay related note, I had a match yesterday of Dominion where I went from last place on the team to first, and it was almost entirely due to going around the perimeter of the map, hitting B from the enemy side, and using sweeping strikes with the Lawbringer to kill all of their foot soldiers. It was fuckin' rad. Then I just pushed "forward" into our own territory to cap B and A back.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Minorkos posted:

i can just beat my opponents by making them die of malnutrition irl when they tire themselves out trying to attack my impenetrable defense

i only really bought the game because i knew i could get a refund. i want the game to be good so bad and i'm hoping ubisoft starts paying attention to people discussing the obscene bias the game has on defensive play so that it may some day be nerfed and i can buy the game for real. i loved the game during the beta but it just has the gameplay depth of a game of tic-tac-toe and that really bothers me

So real talk, why are you not tearing up the scoreboards and getting esports contracts if you play perfectly?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
this game with 99 percent likelihood will not have esports in any format currently in the game

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Minorkos posted:

how much work do you expect me to do to maneuver past your mental gymnastics

i've already proven you wrong multiple times and i simply cannot be bothered to prove you wrong yet again. i have 38 minutes in For Honor right now.

I told you exactly what you can do to 'maneuver past my mental gymnastics' - literally laid it out perfectly. Also, you haven't proven a single goddamn thing, unfortunately. Sorry!

Minorkos posted:

i only really bought the game because i knew i could get a refund.

You bought the game just to prove a point to a random stranger on the internet, and you half-rear end it as much as you half-rear end your posts? :shepface:

panda clue fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Feb 16, 2017

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Sdoots posted:

Okay, seriously. How the gently caress do I talk in allchat? I feel compelled to communicate with these idiots talking about how I have no honor.
It's nowhere in the keybinds.

Press T, use tab to swap between chat types.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
so I think Minorkos is an idiot and dumb but I gotta give him credit where credit is due for actually holding his own against a level 3 bot. that poo poo ain't easy at all.

but fortunately 99% of players can't do that at that level so I'm not too interested in his overall diagnosis.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

The Iron Rose posted:

so I think Minorkos is an idiot and dumb but I gotta give him credit where credit is due for actually holding his own against a level 3 bot. that poo poo ain't easy at all.

but fortunately 99% of players can't do that at that level so I'm not too interested in his overall diagnosis.

It'd be more impressive if he actually killed it.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

7c Nickel posted:

So real talk, why are you not tearing up the scoreboards and getting esports contracts if you play perfectly?

to be honest, i never intended to make this about me being the best player in the universe. i'm not that good at fighting games, and i'm sure there are people who are better at the game than i am. that was never the point. my original post way back when was that "you can block and punish just about anything in the game on reaction and that makes it a boring game because defense is very strong" and that is the point i've been trying my best to prove. it just doesn't seem like a fun game to play when played at a high skill level

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
I still don't get the appeal of forcing a draw, like theoretically if you are a pro fighting super robot like Midorkos you can do it but why bother, it's not how you would play in an actual match

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Yep, I love this game but I think you proved what you said originally. The game slants little too much on the defensive side.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I knew, I just KNEW Minorkos was gonna get slammed for the video being against a bot even though we have 100+ comments in thread about LEVEL 3 BOTS SO STRONK. BETTER THAN MOST PLAYERS.

lol

Minorkos you did a good job making your case. But to some people here there is no proof you could ever produce that would yield even the slightest admission about anything. You won't find satisfaction in that area. Nature of the (posting) game.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

C-c-c-check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzRq-3oYADQ

This fight looks really tame, but this is a rematch from a previous match where our fights were neck and neck (it was a Conqueror + Lawmaker, the Lawmaker was piss easy to fight, he never teched guard breaks) but ultimately the Conqueror beat my rear end in. He was insanely good at changing attack directions, which kept making me eat flail for the first few rounds as my pride kept making me try to parry them even though as Conqueror you can change attack direction mid-swing with your heavy attack.

So yeah, it got to the point where I was nailing him each round. Felt good. Once I dropped the "must parry everything" mentality, he was quite easy to beat, but still a very tough opponent. This clip doesn't do him justice. Will upload a better (with synced audio) clip tomorrow to show him at his best when he's beating my rear end in.

PS: Please applaud me on my Riptide Strike timings, they're really loving hard to pull off right as Orochi. Most of the time you end up eating the edge of your opponent's sword. So I'm really proud I managed to pull two perfectly timed ones off.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Chomp8645 posted:

I knew, I just KNEW Minorkos was gonna get slammed for the video

Me too, because it doesn't prove poo poo.

Chomp8645 posted:

Minorkos you did a good job making your case.

Not really.

Chomp8645 posted:

But to some people here there is no proof you could ever produce that would yield even the slightest admission about anything.

I said exactly what he could do to make irrefutable proof, actually:

panda clue posted:

I'd be more impressed of a twitch vod of you doing this against actual players multiple times instead of a youtube vs a single bot that you could have hosed up three dozen times and saved the single good run to show off.

You have time to make youtube video vs a bot and upload it but for some reason doing a few 1v1s on twitch is too much?

Ice Fist posted:

He has proved definitively that you can play for a draw and be 100% successful.

You sure do have a low bar for what constitutes 'proof'

panda clue fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Feb 16, 2017

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

He has proved definitively that you can play for a draw and be 100% successful. His proving this just highlights a relatively minor weakness this game has.

What remains unproven is how good he is at winning, which would involve swinging his sharp implement and creating holes in his impenetrable defense.

I mean, if he tried to actually win he'd be pretty good because what he did isn't easy, but 100% successful? I dunno about that.

panda clue posted:

You sure do have a low bar for what constitutes 'proof'

Except this video isn't the only video out there of this happening? I mean poo poo dude just let him have his point: Play super boring and defensively and you'll... tie. You'll tie really loving hard. You'll be the proest of people who know how to tie in this game. ESports contracts galore.

Ice Fist fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Feb 16, 2017

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Loopoo posted:

PS: Please applaud me on my Riptide Strike timings, they're really loving hard to pull off right as Orochi. Most of the time you end up eating the edge of your opponent's sword. So I'm really proud I managed to pull two perfectly timed ones off.

Can't watch at work but yeah if you get a few good Riptide Strikes during a match you feel like a BALLER. You gotta time em perfectly too because the spacing is just barely generous enough to avoid an attack before the counter strike.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
I think it's clear that the real test would be for Minorkos' unbreakable defense to be put up against panda's unstoppable attack.

Video pls

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Mino proved his point that defence is king. The extent of the argument was that the game is less interesting when turtling is so effective. It doesn't matter if he can or can't beat a bot or anyone else, the game will still be what it is.

Next discussion, please.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

You'll do more than tie since parries are extremely high reward maneuvers.

"Bots are better than most players you'll ever face."

"You can never have a perfect defense. 1 out of 10 times you might mess up, and that's worth accounting for!"

"lol he only played against a bot, try again noob."

"Okay so you had a perfect defense, but the joke is on you because the goal post is over HERE now!"

Donnerberg posted:

Next discussion, please.

This is the right idea.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Ice Fist posted:

Except this video isn't the only video out there of this happening? I mean poo poo dude just let him have his point: Play super boring and defensively and you'll... tie. You'll tie really loving hard. You'll be the proest of people who know how to tie in this game. ESports contracts galore.

It still doesn't work. Hopefully by tonight or tomorrow I will have the frame data on most of the moves and a lot of characters just have moves(like handy warden zone attack) which are simply not realistically possible to react to. Also that and lol at fighting a bot who cares if its level 3 bots are loving chumps.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Minorkos posted:

hello again

i decided to purchase for honor on steam today to test out that theory and it turns out i was able to go against a level 3 orochi bot for 2 rounds without him being able to land a single succesful hit on me. i could have gone longer but i figured the 6 minutes of the same 5 attacks bouncing off my block was enough and my eyes started to feel dry on the 5th minute

also i used a bot because i figured you'd complain about the other person being poo poo or being my friend or something. the bot still utilizes the same techniques a player can for breaking someone's defense, so i figured this was a fair compromise. the only attack that the bot didn't utilize was the zoning attack and i could have also blocked that on reflex, or just left my block on the right side to take care of it entirely

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxLyU6nh10s

i managed to produce this video in about half an hour so i can get a full refund on the game if i want to (thanks european union consumer laws)

Bot :v: I said player, you can see it in your quote

That bot does feint a few times but he never follows it up. So yeah, turtling is gonna work pretty well.

Also nice how the video starts on round 2! HMMM

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
So.. Anyone know how to follow up on the valkyrie spin down attack? I feel like I can get a w + dodge + light attack in before they can block.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Minorkos posted:

if i spent another hour and a half producing this hypothetical magical christmas land video of me going up against all the top tier players in For Honor and proving that defense is proportionally way stronger than offense is, i would likely waste even more time and move my steam playtime over 2 hours, thus losing my chance for a refund. and that would just be stupid because i do intend to get that refund

You're unwilling to actually play good players, so this is all completely moot.

Buy the game and play it so you get matched with good players or stop posting and go talk to people about something you do like dude. Your empty theorycrafting is pointless.

7c Nickel posted:

FOR REAL

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Had a Warden just doing push + top light attack nonstop, and I don't know how to stop him from doing that :sigh:

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Razzled posted:

I think it's clear that the real test would be for Minorkos' unbreakable defense to be put up against panda's unstoppable attack.

Video pls

^^^^

The best part of the video is that it starts on round 2. What happened on round 1 that you didn't want us to see?

I just went and did the exact same thing vs level 3 Orochi bot and perfected him with Peacekeeper (who has the smallest block windows in the game) on my third round. He has incredibly predictable attack patterns from neutral, and just repeats the same bullshit over and over again. Pretty sure half the people in this thread could do the same thing if they decided to dedicate 38 minutes to it.

Bots aren't players.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Chomp8645 posted:

I knew, I just KNEW Minorkos was gonna get slammed for the video being against a bot even though we have 100+ comments in thread about LEVEL 3 BOTS SO STRONK. BETTER THAN MOST PLAYERS.

Actually its because in the post where I asked him to record a video, I said against a player for a real match, not a friend or a bot. He even quoted that part and then went and fought a bot anyways.

Also the video begins at match 2 :iiam:

Like seriously

Evil Canadian posted:

It still doesn't work. Hopefully by tonight or tomorrow I will have the frame data on most of the moves and a lot of characters just have moves(like handy warden zone attack) which are simply not realistically possible to react to. Also that and lol at fighting a bot who cares if its level 3 bots are loving chumps.

Yeah warden's top light and side zone are both ridiculously fast and if you're properly mixing between them a player just isn't going to be able to defend against that reliably 100% of the time.

I'd also like to see Minkorkos try to perfectly defend against a berserker who is comboing and dodge-cancelling properly. And same for similar moves on a few other chars.

Evil Canadian gets it. Looking forward to your data.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Feb 17, 2017

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
jesus christ when did this thread turn into loose change

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Exmond posted:

So.. Anyone know how to follow up on the valkyrie spin down attack? I feel like I can get a w + dodge + light attack in before they can block.

Yes, the pounce attack is a guarantied hit after a sweep. And pounce works as the starter for a combo so you can keep going.

Personal Lucubrant
Oct 18, 2016

Just thinking about what to do with all the money I don't have.
Wait right there while I move this goal post.

What? Not far enough? Let me move it some more.

Seriously, Zaphod42 and panda clue, you guys need to shut the gently caress up. You got owned, accept defeat. You're behaving exactly like the salty kids in-game who complain about getting teamed up on in 4v4.

Personal Lucubrant fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Feb 17, 2017

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Why don't one of you nerds just fight the guy what the gently caress? gently caress buy me the game I'll do it. Probably lose but at least we'll move on.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Please move on from Minorkos video discussion. It is going nowhere and you are not going to change minds. Don't drag the thread down anymore.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

VideoGames posted:

Please move on from Minorkos video discussion. It is going nowhere and you are not going to change minds. Don't drag the thread down anymore.

aight

I will bet a :toxx: vs him though in a 1v1 match, if he can perfect me once in 3 rounds. I'll even stream it for the thread's enjoyment.

panda clue fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Feb 17, 2017

Qubee
May 31, 2013

So rude. I spent 10 minutes putting up that desynced video footage of my mediocre win, but Minorkos gets all the fame and glory for uploading a video of him fighting a limpdick Orochi bot that plays so awfully. I am upset. Deeply and truly. Validate me [screeching]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

edit: ok discussion moved no more poop posting