Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Synthbuttrange posted:

Is Invincible still 'Universe keeps pooping on Mark'?

I read #133 today.

In a book with the tagline "The Best Superhero Book in the Universe," the characters conclude, vocally, in these words, that "being a hero is bullshit," so the protagonist and his girlfriend set out with the specific stated goal of killing a man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
And everyone else yeah.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
New Spread today, and I haven't read it yet, but we should get an even better idea of what's happening in the rest of the world.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The recap at the beginning of Sex Criminals was phenomenal.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Wanderer posted:

I read #133 today.

In a book with the tagline "The Best Superhero Book in the Universe," the characters conclude, vocally, in these words, that "being a hero is bullshit," so the protagonist and his girlfriend set out with the specific stated goal of killing a man.

Well to be fair that man killed the gently caress out of them.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
New Über is out. The nazis are the most competent beings in existence as usual, but some old characters show up, which bodes well for the allies.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I had a chance to pick at some of my comic backlog today. Ether and Motro are just fantastic works for art. If you like trippy art, definitely check them out. Ether is being written by Kindt and the story is really cool too. Motro is a bit more unconventional in its storytelling but I like it anyway. I'm curious to see how it all comes together.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

Roth posted:

The recap at the beginning of Sex Criminals was phenomenal.

And much needed, without it I would have been totally lost due to how long it's been.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

scuba school sucks posted:

Yeah it's not a gruesome hideous gore comic for sadists to jerk off to, it's light-hearted escapism at this point.

really? boston going up like kindling and millions dying as nazis ravage the country is light-hearted escapism? i know what you're saying, but come on.

BigglesSWE posted:

New Über is out. The nazis are the most competent beings in existence as usual, but some old characters show up, which bodes well for the allies.

the nazis have been holding all the cards because of their lead start, so i think it makes sense. their spy helped too, of course, but the allies' spy is why they're still in it at all. i think it was necessary to stack the deck like that for the story for things to be able to get from the historical divergence point to where we are now, where gillen needed it to be to tell the story he wanted, and not have some step along the way be hugely illogical.

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Feb 18, 2017

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Wanderer posted:

I read #133 today.

I picked it up because it was only 25 cents so gently caress it.

I was actually pretty happy with it then laffo the last two pages. Oh well.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Karen Berger (Vertigo) is to run an imprint at Dark Horse.
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/02/17/berger-books-new-line-comics-karen-berger-published-dark-horse-comics-announced-comicspro/

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Hedrigall posted:

Checking in with this thread because I got The Spire for Christmas but only got around to reading it over the last couple of nights. It's really drat good. Whole thing feels like it could take place in China Mieville's Bas-Lag world (eg: Perdido Street Station).

I read this based on your recommendation, and I liked it a lot. I think the mystery threads worked out pretty well and I like that they drop a good number of hints throughout the series about the final reveal, but I think that they rapid fired a lot of things at the end that didn't let the emotional impact set in.

I also have no idea why they kept calling Sha the last of the Medusi when there were clearly a whole lot of other Medusi (this is not a spoiler reveal).

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I won some store credit this weekend at comic shop a couple hours from my house and decided to blow it on some graphic novels. Picked up Low, because the cover of that first volume is extremely my poo poo, and the blurbs interested me. I'm almost finished with that first volume and I am absolutely hooked. I can't really place why, but it is gripping. It seems like Remender does half of Image's line, how is his other stuff?

edit: looks like I picked up at the right time, by the time I finish the next 2 volumes, the issues will have started again.

Shovelmint fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Feb 19, 2017

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Shovelmint posted:

It seems like Remender does half of Image's line, how is his other stuff?

Deadly Class and Black Science are two of the books I look forward to the most from month to month, and Seven To Eternity seems to be off to an interesting start. He's certainly a writer I pay pretty close attention to.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Well, I finished that first volume, and loved every minute of it. So dark and yet so colorful and vivid, with things twisting about in ways I didn't expect. The next two are en route from Amazon already. I may check out some of the others next time I'm in the shop.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Uhm oops.

I decided to give Uber another chance. And another few more issues wouldnt help. Welp I cant stop now.

Well gently caress.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Bunch of new Image comics got solicited for May.
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/0...nes-dying-dead/

REGRESSION #1 (MR)
IMAGE COMICS
(W) Cullen Bunn (A/CA) Danny Luckert, Marie Enger
Adrian is plagued by ghastly waking nightmares. To understand and possibly treat these awful visions, Adrian reluctantly agrees to past life regression hypnotherapy. As his consciousness is cast back through time, Adrian witnesses a scene of horrific debauchery and diabolism. Waking, he is more unsettled than before, and with good reason-something has followed him back. Adrian descends into a world of occult conspiracy, mystery, reincarnation, and insanity from which there is no escape.

Presented by CULLEN BUNN (Harrow County, The Sixth Gun, The Empty Man), DANNY LUCKERT (Haunted), and MARIE ENGER (Pistolwhip, 2 Sisters), REGRESSION is a tale of supernatural terror and intrigue unlike any horror comic you’ve ever experienced.
$3.99

YOUNGBLOOD #1 CVR A TOWE
IMAGE COMICS
(W) Chad Bowers (A/CA) Jim Towe
“YOUNGBLOOD REBORN,” Part One
DEBUT ANNIVERSARY ISSUE! 25 years ago, YOUNGBLOOD launched the Image Revolution and turned the comics world on its head! Now the original blockbuster hit series returns with an all-new cast and a brand-new mission!

When a young hero goes missing, his friend’s search for answers leads to some unexpected allies. Together, they’ll do whatever it takes to find him…even if it means resurrecting the world’s most infamous super-team.

Gear up, strap in, and get ready to rediscover comics’ most extreme universe with creators CHAD BOWERS (X-Men ’92, Deadpool: Bad Blood) and newcomer JIM TOWE!
$3.99

ETERNAL EMPIRE #1
IMAGE COMICS
(W) Sarah Vaughn, Jonathan Luna (A/CA) Jonathan Luna
JONATHAN LUNA (ALEX + ADA, THE SWORD, Spider-Woman: Origin) and SARAH VAUGHN (ALEX + ADA, Deadman: Dark Mansion of Forbidden Love, Ruined) return with ETERNAL EMPIRE, a fantasy epic!

The Eternal Empress has waged war against the countries of Saia for over one hundred years and now her sights are set on the last country standing. Within the brutal Empire’s workforce, a young woman receives strange visions that give her the courage to escape her fate…or run straight toward it.
$3.99

GRRL SCOUTS MAGIC SOCKS #1 CVR A MAHFOOD (MR)
IMAGE COMICS
(W/A/CA) Jim Mahfood
JIM MAHFOOD (Tank Girl, Clerks) debuts his first new creator-owned work in years with the glorious return of GRRL SCOUTS! Join Gwen, Daphne, and Rita as they reunite for a pulse-pounding psychedelic adventure through the streets of Freak City. This first issue is stuffed to the gills with an action-packed story, bonus art, soundtrack, sketchbook, and a behind-the-scenes comic thingy. Plus, a variant cover by the one and only SKOTTIE YOUNG! Pure fun! Pure flavor!
$3.99

PAKLIS #1
IMAGE COMICS
(W/A/CA) Dustin Weaver
Do you accept the life you’ve been handed, or do you step into the unknown, even as it leads you into the shadows? In this new anthology series from writer/artist DUSTIN WEAVER, the characters in three mind-bending stories find themselves faced with this question.

In “MUSHROOM BODIES,” Greg struggles with knowing what’s real and fears becoming complacent in a world of human insects.

In the first installment of “SAGITTARIUS A*,” war hero Linus Rad is on a mission to the center of the galaxy to learn the dark secrets of his dead father’s scientific experiments.

In the first chapter of “AMNIA CYCLE,” Tara, a young Jet-Wing pilot, goes AWOL in the war against the Nuriel in order to help Amnia, a mysterious alien with no memory of where she came from and a desperate need to stop a terrible disaster! When Amnia disappears, it sends Tara on an adventure into the Shadow Zone.

Step into the unknown. Journey into the shadows. There you’ll find PAKLIS.
$5.99

SAMARITAN #1
IMAGE COMICS
(W) Matt Hawkins (A/CA) Atilio Rojo
A woman with a vendetta decides she’s going to take down the largest military contractor in the world and has the means and a plan that just might work. How do you bankrupt one of the richest, most technologically advanced and successful companies in the world? You steal all their research and give it away to everyone. Can she survive long enough to pull it off with the entire U.S. government trying to kill her?
$3.99

If that Youngblood cover doesn't look too exciting, I thought the artist's character designs shown off previously were pretty snazzy.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Youngblood is being rebooted with X-Men '92's writer and a new artist who Liefeld recruited after seeing his redesigns on Twitter, which is pretty darn sweet.
http://www.newsarama.com/30788-liefeld-revives-youngblood-with-surprise-creative-team.html

The artist reminds me a lot of Doc Shaner.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

No Badrock, no buys!

But that looks neat.

Definitely gonna grab Grrl Scouts, too.

And I was thinking about what Letter 44 would be like if it started with Not-Obama passing along the truth to Not-Trump.

trashbuilder
Dec 26, 2013

Look at all the poor opinions I have
You buried the loving lead, in the solicitations, the most anticipated book of 2015 DYING AND THE DEAD #4

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

trashbuilder posted:

You buried the loving lead, in the solicitations, the most anticipated book of 2015 DYING AND THE DEAD #4

They're on pace for about one issue a year at this point, yeah?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Shelly Bond (formerly of Vertigo) is Kickstarting a collection of stories about women: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hificolourdesign/femme-magnifique

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

scuba school sucks posted:

Yeah it's not a gruesome hideous gore comic for sadists to jerk off to, it's light-hearted escapism at this point.

That's not really the point. It's just massively uncomfortable to read about Nazis being horrible in detail, in fiction, when there are Nazis being horrible in real life in my own drat government.

I'm still enjoying Uber, but... man it's a loving heavy read.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Reflecting on it since you guys brought it up I find it a little weird myself, but while i get super mad at like Steve cap at marvel i don't really have a problem reading a book about super Nazis

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

site posted:

Reflecting on it since you guys brought it up I find it a little weird myself, but while i get super mad at like Steve cap at marvel i don't really have a problem reading a book about super Nazis

I think the big differences are the setting and tone. The Cap stuff is just so wrong for a bunch of bad reasons while Uber continually reminds you that war is hell.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Invincible bummed the gently caress out of me with Oliver's funeral. His mustache will be missed.

On the other hand, Stray Bullets has been a loving gas and Orson was amazing in the last issue. It reminds me of something Erik Larsen once said about Marv in Sin City. When Orson died in the first Stray Bullets run, I was devastated. He's one of my favorite fictional characters. And now that he's back in this interim story, he's taken on this invincible role because he can't die. No matter what he does. So when you see him drunkenly smashing his car head on into things, it almost becomes absurd in how he'll walk away unscathed. I'm loving it.

Long live Long Shlong Derek Ding Dong.

Also, it's crazy to think Kretchmyer's first appearance was in a teaser solicitation for the book in Diamond in 1995 and he didn't actually show up in the book until a couple years ago.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

ruddiger posted:

Invincible bummed the gently caress out of me with Oliver's funeral. His mustache will be missed.

On the other hand, Stray Bullets has been a loving gas and Orson was amazing in the last issue. It reminds me of something Erik Larsen once said about Marv in Sin City. When Orson died in the first Stray Bullets run, I was devastated. He's one of my favorite fictional characters. And now that he's back in this interim story, he's taken on this invincible role because he can't die. No matter what he does. So when you see him drunkenly smashing his car head on into things, it almost becomes absurd in how he'll walk away unscathed. I'm loving it.

Long live Long Shlong Derek Ding Dong.

Also, it's crazy to think Kretchmyer's first appearance was in a teaser solicitation for the book in Diamond in 1995 and he didn't actually show up in the book until a couple years ago.

I love anything Stray Bullets but this arc has been ridiculously long. When the book came back I thought it was going to be shorter arcs like Killers. 24 issues! We may never get back to where Killers left off. I can't complain too much though since the book was basically dead until Image got it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

All I can guess is that he didn't really care to revisit Virginia after the original series, but that's what people would want, so he shunted out Killers.

I still love it all. Even the imaginary issues I'm guessing some aren't so fond of.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Really dug Old Guard. Could always use some really violent and gory action involving immortals.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

Synthbuttrange posted:

Uhm oops.

I decided to give Uber another chance. And another few more issues wouldnt help. Welp I cant stop now.

Well gently caress.

Mark my words. Dreadnought-class Ubers. You heard it here first.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Maybe. I get the feeling it will be a new type qualitatively, though, rather than just bigger along the dimensions already established.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Shovelmint posted:

Picked up Low, because the cover of that first volume is extremely my poo poo, and the blurbs interested me. I'm almost finished with that first volume and I am absolutely hooked. I can't really place why, but it is gripping.

Um. I now own all the trade paperbacks, all the issues, almost all the alternate covers and an autographed rare cover of #1. And my kids are so hungry.
They're not hungry, but sudden acute comic book collecting is a scary thing.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Hellboy and the BPRD involve a lot of reading but you can probably get them for relatively cheap these days and I found the investment totally worth it. I've been enjoying Harrow County lately - it's sort of a southern US mystical horror series.

zoux posted:

Fatale is one of my favorites, it's an occult noir. American Vampire is good too.

Now if you wanna buy 15+ TBPs Hellboy is the best horror comic of all time, and BPRD is second.

Anime_Otaku posted:

I enjoy Nailbiter, it's one issue away from finishing, it's about a town that produces a disproportionate number of serial killers. Clean room is a pretty cool weird stuff from another dimension type horror too.

just wanted to pop back in here and thank you guys for these dope recs. i've been completely absorbed by Hellboy so far - definitely feel like i'm going to take the dive and just buy all the trades heh. Nailbiter is also extremely cool and good. I was really looking forward to starting House of Penance but it's taking amazon 3 weeks to ship it. I also enjoyed what I've read of The Black Monday Murders - some genuinely unsettling imagery for a book about world finance.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Thom and the Heads posted:

I also enjoyed what I've read of The Black Monday Murders - some genuinely unsettling imagery for a book about world finance.

The bit with the lawyer slamming his head into the table over and over was extremely visually effective.

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.

Thom and the Heads posted:

just wanted to pop back in here and thank you guys for these dope recs. i've been completely absorbed by Hellboy so far - definitely feel like i'm going to take the dive and just buy all the trades heh. Nailbiter is also extremely cool and good. I was really looking forward to starting House of Penance but it's taking amazon 3 weeks to ship it. I also enjoyed what I've read of The Black Monday Murders - some genuinely unsettling imagery for a book about world finance.

If you really go all in on Hellboy check out the Library Editions. They are large hardcovers which have 2 TPB collections per volume and don't cost much more than the regular TPBs. I have the first 2 Library Editions and would buy again.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

And remember the the BPRD Plague of Frogs Omnibi are your friends. The first collection is a bit weak, primarily because 2 out of 3 of the collected series (Hollow Earth and Soul of Venice)are mostly anthologies by a variety of different artists set in the world of Hellboy, but once the actual Plague of Frogs starts going it becomes just as good as Hellboy.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

When I first picked up Hellboy I thought it would be like a procedural occult detective comic, because all I knew about the character was from the first movie (which I hated). I was pleased that it ended up being a way to explore international folklore and do some really sharp myth building of its own. And fight War Apes.

It's since become my favorite comic series ever, I've read it through three times.

Wookie Bouquet
Jan 27, 2013

Too tsundere to drive.
RIP Island. Ending after #15.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Wookie Bouquet posted:

RIP Island. Ending after #15.

The genuinely interesting stuff didn't keep coming. Also I didn't like it when one artist took over the whole issue.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The cover for #6 was amazing tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wookie Bouquet
Jan 27, 2013

Too tsundere to drive.

frameset posted:

The genuinely interesting stuff didn't keep coming. Also I didn't like it when one artist took over the whole issue.

Yeah that part kind of annoyed me. Would have preferred much shorter bits and a larger variety of artists. I still have not read the zooniverse stuff.