Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

ahhh i thought they were the same. right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Khorne posted:

I don't think it's on the ftb launcher. You need to use the curse launcher or CPMDL which is better than that dumpster fire of a launcher.

If it were on the ftb launcher you'd have to get the pack code from the project ozone site or reddit or whatever, put in the pack code in the launcher, and then it shows up.

Man honestly Curse launcher is fine and it basically has the most seamless 'get more resource packs or mods' thing any launcher's offered so far. Like it's not the best and there's bloat but as far as 'does it let you play modpacks and do most modpack-related stuff' easily' the answer is absolutely yes.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Falcon2001 posted:

Man honestly Curse launcher is fine and it basically has the most seamless 'get more resource packs or mods' thing any launcher's offered so far. Like it's not the best and there's bloat but as far as 'does it let you play modpacks and do most modpack-related stuff' easily' the answer is absolutely yes.
I agree kinda. But you have to click over to minecraft, it doesn't close when you hit exit launcher, and it takes forever to load like all curse programs. I really do not like the curse launcher at all compared to the other launchers for distribution of existing packs. For adding in some mods or doing your own pack it's pretty convenient not going to lie. It also has issues with non-windows OSes while most MC stuff doesn't.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Khorne posted:

I agree kinda. But you have to click over to minecraft, it doesn't close when you hit exit launcher, and it takes forever to load like all curse programs. I really do not like the curse launcher at all compared to the other launchers for distribution of existing packs. For adding in some mods or doing your own pack it's pretty convenient not going to lie. It also has issues with non-windows OSes while most MC stuff doesn't.

I'd argue that having one extra click is pretty minimal levels of bullshit compared to the benefits; but I'll give you the irritation of not closing.

At this point it's my preferred launcher for a number of reasons.

• I already play WoW and need to use it for addon updates there.
  • I prefer the UI pretty significantly over Technic / AT / FTB
  • It's search functionality is pretty good and let me find packs myself.
  • You can build a pack and auto-add mods without any major freakout or drama. This is partially due to improvements in 1.7 and other MC-specific things that lead to not having to do runaround bullshit with IDs but it's still really, really nice. For example, I was playing a modpack and it didn't come with journeymap. Took me almost no time to add.
  • It seems to have the biggest selection right now.

I mean, it's certainly not a dumpster fire.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

i'm just happy that there's no more mod pack permissions bullshit

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
As an almost total Minecraft newb: If I am looking for a certain geography in a Minecraft world (specifically, I need a hilly piece of land in the default biome about 500x500 squares that is next to a big lake and has a river in it) is there a 3rd party tool that can allow me to quickly scan through a map?
Ideally some piece of software I could enter a world seed in and it'd show me a big overview of the map from top down.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Khorne posted:

I agree kinda. But you have to click over to minecraft, it doesn't close when you hit exit launcher

That's a setting you can change, mine just closes when I hit the X like most other programs. You can also turn off booting at launch.

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical

peak debt posted:

As an almost total Minecraft newb: If I am looking for a certain geography in a Minecraft world (specifically, I need a hilly piece of land in the default biome about 500x500 squares that is next to a big lake and has a river in it) is there a 3rd party tool that can allow me to quickly scan through a map?
Ideally some piece of software I could enter a world seed in and it'd show me a big overview of the map from top down.

I used this thing when I gave up on finding a jungle by wandering around and it worked pretty well. It won't be accurate if you're using got mods changing/adding biomes, and I don't know how good it would be at finding hills, but maybe it'll help.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

help, i'm a big retard and can't work out how to get Project Ozone 2 on the FTB launcher. i have never played a mod on it that isn't on the FTB Modpacks or 3rd Party Packs by default

also i can't get over how much i loathe the useless pseudo-questbook from Skyfactory 3, which is why i've stopped playing it, so if Ozone's got the same thing then please let me know and i will stop my flailings

You have to download it from the Curse Launcher. I hate all launchers, so I only use them to find the packs then copy all the mods into a MultiMC instance.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm sure this gets asked a lot, but, are there any packs that are sort of like BFSR or skyblocks or whatever but they focus on magic mods and the like? mostly just stuff that isn't hardcore tech mods because those bore me to absolute tears.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Botania: Garden of Glass is based around one (big) magic mod.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Botania: Garden of Glass is based around one (big) magic mod.

Botania is a magic-themed tech mod :colbert:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Devor posted:

Botania is a magic-themed tech mod :colbert:

botania doesn't involve dumping crap into boring gray cubes so i'll dispute this

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

blightfall update: my friend and I finished the floating city without having any thaumcraft stuff :v:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i might grab the 'pasture of glass' mod that was put up by shukaro on technic that uses 1.7 unless people would recommend the more recent 1.10 version put up by vazkii

e: looks like there's more options on curse? weird. i'll figure it out.

e2: jesus christ vazkii please put waila in the base pack

Johnny Joestar fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Feb 17, 2017

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I booted up Project Ozone 2 again today. I had an idea about making a nuclear lava generator based on Crucibles and Yellorium blocks. My mega auto sifter goes through about a stack of coal every minute, and it is starting to become unsustainable. I am cutting down trees constantly just to feed the thing!

I started gathering materials, but a "John Cena" Creeper had different plans for me today! Apparently one torch every square foot is not enough, as a creeper spawned somewhere in my base and found its way to me. It blew up in one of the worst possible places too, taking out a full side of my storage, a big chunk of my Smeltery, and all of my Tinkers Construct tool stations. I patched the hole up as best I could and started on repairing the damage
:negative:

I was very lucky, the Creeper just missed my only Yellorium Block!

Not to take this setback sitting down, I started repairing my smeltery. But, seeing as I was making a pile of Seared Bricks anyway, I decided to take the opportunity to upgrade my Smeltery! It was not processing ores nearly fast enough. I present to you the SmeltMaster 7500. It can process nearly 3 stacks of ores in one go! :D

I decided to put a double wall of Cobblestone around my storage. It needs to be reorganized, but for now it is less likely to be exploded by any wandering creepers.

After this is returned to my original mission, of creating a lava energy system. All of the fancy new-type pipes were expensive, so I decided to go with Buildcraft Liquid Pipes. I need cactus greens for that so I set up a farm. I made a wheat farm at the same time, so I can grow feed for my fluid cows to breed and make seeds for magic crops!

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Feb 17, 2017

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Check the tops of your storage drawers/multiblocks/anything like that for a lack of light squares. In 1.7.x you can usually hit f7 to see light level, in 1.10.x it's f4 I think.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Khorne posted:

Check the tops of your storage drawers/multiblocks/anything like that for a lack of light squares. In 1.7.x you can usually hit f7 to see light level, in 1.10.x it's f4 I think.

I was wearing a piece of enchanted armor that created a bubble of light around me. It was deceiving my dark patch finding! I have since redoubled my torches.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

garden of glass is the first skyblock i've ever tried and so far it doesn't seem so bad? my main hurdle right now is slowly waiting for trees to grow to get more wood so i can get some charcoal and whatever else to eventually make a good bit of livingwood/rock. i've run out of living roots due to making fertilizer and all that for flowers. i guess i should also make a super lovely mob spawn area to work towards bonemeal. kind of dull right now, honestly.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Johnny Joestar posted:

garden of glass is the first skyblock i've ever tried and so far it doesn't seem so bad? my main hurdle right now is slowly waiting for trees to grow to get more wood so i can get some charcoal and whatever else to eventually make a good bit of livingwood/rock. i've run out of living roots due to making fertilizer and all that for flowers. i guess i should also make a super lovely mob spawn area to work towards bonemeal. kind of dull right now, honestly.

one thing you should definitely do in garden of glass is cheat yourself in a storage drawer with a creative supply upgrade for cobblestone

otherwise you'll spend about half an hour with the right mouse button taped down staring at some grass to get enough cobblestone to build poo poo

cheating in the infinite cobblestone drawer gives you nothing you can't get on your own, just without the tedium

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

You could probably put together an AutoItScript for that. I've done that for sifting stacks of stuff; point at the sieve, hit the "hold down right click" toggle then go do something else.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

cheating in the infinite cobblestone drawer gives you nothing you can't get on your own, just without the tedium

This is true of all things in Minecraft. Cheating is wrong :colbert:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

that's usually a term i reserve for things that aren't cobblestone

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
In a Skyblock all other matter flows from your first Cobble Gen. If you cheat that in your entire base is a lie.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

dirt is at a premium in garden of glass but you can already get infinite cobblestone just from shift-rclicking on dirt to get pebbles, which can be crafted 4 at a time into cobble. from the second you start it you can make cobble and are expected to to even get living roots and extra dirt. making a cobblegen isn't a thing you need to do and the only thing in the way of getting as much cobble as you ever need is rightclicking on dirt.

to elaborate: spawning dirt would be cheating, but cobblestone is the most basic thing you have and can use at any given point

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Johnny Joestar posted:

dirt is at a premium in garden of glass but you can already get infinite cobblestone just from shift-rclicking on dirt to get pebbles, which can be crafted 4 at a time into cobble. from the second you start it you can make cobble and are expected to to even get living roots and extra dirt. making a cobblegen isn't a thing you need to do and the only thing in the way of getting as much cobble as you ever need is rightclicking on dirt.

to elaborate: spawning dirt would be cheating, but cobblestone is the most basic thing you have and can use at any given point

You might want to try Project Ozone, it sounds a little better than base Botania. Project Ozone 2 has Botania and Garden of Glass, but it also has a lot of quality of life stuff that is really helpful for a Skyblock like Ex-nilio and a mod that makes trees grow really fast. You can just ignore all of those bad tech blocks! I'm sure you could copy your current save to a Project Ozone 2 instance easily enough, it would have everything just more.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Falcon2001 posted:

I'd argue that having one extra click is pretty minimal levels of bullshit compared to the benefits; but I'll give you the irritation of not closing.

At this point it's my preferred launcher for a number of reasons.

• I already play WoW and need to use it for addon updates there.
  • I prefer the UI pretty significantly over Technic / AT / FTB
  • It's search functionality is pretty good and let me find packs myself.
  • You can build a pack and auto-add mods without any major freakout or drama. This is partially due to improvements in 1.7 and other MC-specific things that lead to not having to do runaround bullshit with IDs but it's still really, really nice. For example, I was playing a modpack and it didn't come with journeymap. Took me almost no time to add.
  • It seems to have the biggest selection right now.

I mean, it's certainly not a dumpster fire.
You can add mods to preestablished packs in Curse? How? If I click "Get more content" the only options are maps and resource packs, while in my own custom-built pack I can add mods through the same option.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

base garden of glass is a pretty rare example of a "modern" skyblock that completely avoids using ex nihilo at all

the ex nihilo skyblocks, while perfectly functional, get kinda same-y after a while

garden of glass comes with an hour-zero infinite cobblegen built in just by right clicking on dirt, so cheating in an infinite cobblestone drawer doesn't actually let you skip any teching up, just some raw tedium

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

You could unlock GoG and install TreeGrowingSimulator, which was designed to deal with the waiting-for-trees-to-grow skyblock problem.

While I love skyblock, I will admit that they're really dull and same-y in the early game because you really have no choice except to grind cobble and wait for trees to grow.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Evil Mastermind posted:

You could unlock GoG and install TreeGrowingSimulator, which was designed to deal with the waiting-for-trees-to-grow skyblock problem.

While I love skyblock, I will admit that they're really dull and same-y in the early game because you really have no choice except to grind cobble and wait for trees to grow.

one way that sky factory 3 does well here is that it has a mod that makes trees grow faster if you... twerk :cripes: at them (press shift to crouch and let go to uncrouch repeatedly)

it's an awful meme mod but it absolutely covers for one of the tedious parts of a skyblock in a way that doesn't affect any of the other stuff at all

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

one way that sky factory 3 does well here is that it has a mod that makes trees grow faster if you... twerk :cripes: at them (press shift to crouch and let go to uncrouch repeatedly)

it's an awful meme mod but it absolutely covers for one of the tedious parts of a skyblock in a way that doesn't affect any of the other stuff at all

Yeah, that's TreeGrowingSimulator. I know it's goofy but I can't do a skyblock without it anymore.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Evil Mastermind posted:

Yeah, that's TreeGrowingSimulator. I know it's goofy but I can't do a skyblock without it anymore.

ah okay, i never bothered to learn what the mod's name was because it was in a mod pack :v:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i might look into getting that mod, because waiting for trees is agonizing. not to mention that i need bonemeal for seeds and mystical flowers, so dumping it onto saplings with the hope they'll randomly grow is dumb as hell.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

You know, I never got the joke about "twerking" to grow trees until just now.

Twerking gives you wood.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Johnny Joestar posted:

i might look into getting that mod, because waiting for trees is agonizing. not to mention that i need bonemeal for seeds and mystical flowers, so dumping it onto saplings with the hope they'll randomly grow is dumb as hell.

If you do, go into the mod's config file and set the energy per bump to 100 and the wait time to 10. Makes things a lot faster.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Woebin posted:

You can add mods to preestablished packs in Curse? How? If I click "Get more content" the only options are maps and resource packs, while in my own custom-built pack I can add mods through the same option.

Have to unlock the pack, hit the 3 dots in the upper right and then hit 'Pack Profile' or something like that, then unlock.

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I used to be real into Minecraft but then got even bored with mods around 2014, just before they put out that dual wielding update. But they said that Minecraft had a lovely, stupid community then, but holy gently caress it's gotten way worse, I guess.

I guess it really is mostly like 13 year olds playing it anymore though. I looked at it recently and some of the new content looks kinda neat but they dont, everybody is still basically stuck on 1.7.10 as far as modding, right?

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
BTW my number one suggestion to improve skyblocks: run them on a map other than a skyblock. PO2 came with a thing that let you generate a 'skyworld' where it would basically make a bunch of dirt islands floating in the sky. I just hate the tedium of building big platforms. If you think Dirt is too cheaty then I'm sure Ice or something else would be good; I think that's what Rub was doing.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Falcon2001 posted:

BTW my number one suggestion to improve skyblocks: run them on a map other than a skyblock. PO2 came with a thing that let you generate a 'skyworld' where it would basically make a bunch of dirt islands floating in the sky. I just hate the tedium of building big platforms. If you think Dirt is too cheaty then I'm sure Ice or something else would be good; I think that's what Rub was doing.

Yup! Project Ozone 2 comes with a bunch of "sky" worlds, including that glass one from Botania. I went with a scenario that crash lands you on a barren ice world, with only a small escape pod. I think it is a Galacticraft scenario? It tells you to build up enough resources to leave the planet, and if you hit "m" it brings up a solar system map with a bunch of planets to explore. This is much more advanced than I am currently, but I do plan to try reaching those planets in time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Falcon2001 posted:

if i'd known about this i might have done that, but, it's easy enough to cheat in cobblestone anyways. and i'm at the point where i can generate ore with an orechid, so i'm slowly working my way towards runes for a rod of the land and whatever else.