Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Has there ever been a functioning commune ever ?

There have been quite a few, before CIA intervention.

Have a meme:

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Feb 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
before history, societies probably functioned more or less how you imagine communes to, and while they almost certainly had problems, they were probably pretty good by today's standards.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

nomadologique posted:

before history, societies probably functioned more or less how you imagine communes to, and while they almost certainly had problems, they were probably pretty good by today's standards.

Also yeah that's a good point! Communes are what humans naturally seemed to tend towards and they must have worked fairly well since we're here today.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot
Whenever hippies or punks try to organize communes they always go to poo poo, or they end up having a defacto leader that makes decisions. Interpersonal squabbles and cliques form and then its perpetual conflict

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Has there ever been a functioning commune ever ?

Does the mobile ancient isrealite camp count?

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Moridin920 posted:

Also yeah that's a good point! Communes are what humans naturally seemed to tend towards and they must have worked fairly well since we're here today.

Not communes, Tribes, just like I said. You form a gang and you guys get yours

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Not communes, Tribes, just like I said. You form a gang and you guys get yours

No, communes. As in you and your direct family are not an individual economic unit and the tribe works together and pools all resources for the good of everyone.

Obv yeah they had conflicts with other tribes.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Feb 16, 2017

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

those things aren't mutually exclusive. the economic/political structure of a quasi independent prehistoric tribe probably functioned, in the absence of imperial concerns, much like a commune.

instantiating a commune in the field of activity of empire is probably impossible, because the commune is beset on all sides by forces it cannot cope with.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Crimson Harvest posted:

Does the mobile ancient isrealite camp count?

nostalgia for the war machine...

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

nomadologique posted:

the commune is beset on all sides by forces it cannot cope with.

Permanent revolution comrade :ussr:

Let me ask this to the doubters: if communes are doomed to fail because human nature then why did we intervene on so many of them in S. America?

If communes are naturally authoritarian, what's was our removal of Salvador Allende, a democratically elected president, in favor of installing Pinochet?

Henry Kissinger posted:

“I don't see why we need to stand by and watch a country go communist due to the irresponsibility of its people. The issues are much too important for the Chilean voters to be left to decide for themselves.”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salvador_Allende#Presidency

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot
Look, whenever I think about communism I think "Who's gonna get to live beach side, and who's gonna live under the power lines"

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Spunky just tryna help the coloreds escape the gubberment plantation.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Look, whenever I think about communism I think "Who's gonna get to live beach side, and who's gonna live under the power lines"

It's fair enough to say that there will always be a societal pyramid of some sort. I merely think that flattening it out a bit wouldn't be so bad.

The USSR failed for many reasons other than just human nature and many of those things have yet to be addressed by Leftists imo. The functional impossibility of a 100% planned economy for example (although maybe tech can help us out there).

There was a train shipment of shoes to some town in the USSR but it was all left shoes because (iirc) someone forgot to sign the requisition form for the right shoes. That's some lol.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

bro you don't wanna live beachside that property is gonna be underwater in a couple decades.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Moridin920 posted:

It's fair enough to say that there will always be a societal pyramid of some sort. I merely think that flattening it out a bit wouldn't be so bad.

Agreed. Like I said before the major problem is that .00001% of the world holds 1/3 of the wealth

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Moridin920 posted:

It's fair enough to say that there will always be a societal pyramid of some sort.

then i think our only disagreement is that what you see as a difference in nature, i see as a difference in degree.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot
The only way Communism will work is if it is run by computers and they rule it with an iron fist, gonna get pretty brutal

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

If only a different 1% could hold all of the political-offices-with-dictatorial-powers

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

The only way Communism will work is if it is run by computers and they rule it with an iron fist, gonna get pretty brutal

Unfortunately the left will never be able to welcome our Mind overlords because they are far too into their own... gravitas :(

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

I've been saying it for years, the true utopian government is benevolent AI dictatorship!

unironically lol

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

show me the code for "human life has inherent value"

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Moridin920 posted:

I've been saying it for years, the true utopian government is benevolent AI dictatorship!

unironically lol

"Benevolent" is not in a computer's nature. You either abide to the system or you get corrected. The system comes first

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

"Benevolent" is not in a computer's nature. You either abide to the system or you get corrected. The system comes first

Well it would have to be a very advanced AI. It would be something programmed by other AIs, not us.

Really nothing in that sentence isn't applicable to humans though; we're just biological machines. If we can develop consciousness and think and act based on those thoughts then a synthetic machine can too given the premise that we can at some point in the future replicate the biological machine synthetically.

Feel free to call me a wishful optimist of course, I won't dispute that.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Lowtax posted:

I wasn't lolling, I was cringing and frightened for our country's future.

I hear you, and I'm with you, however, this is the circular slapfight thread.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

short odds that corporatism develops an AI dictatorship long before national sovereignty.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
If I won a Presidential election I'd look up my margin on Wikipedia at the very least.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i'm the guy on the left who's dying inside

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
yeah he brings his posse in to clap and laugh at his jokes because he craves constant attention and for people to like him. we know

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

thathonkey posted:

yeah he brings his posse in to clap and laugh at his jokes because he craves constant attention and for people to like him. we know

They seem to be Loling, everyone is having a great time, America is laughing again

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

Moridin920 posted:

i'm the guy on the left who's dying inside

Internally,
say something man, speak up, call trump out for being the bully he is, now's your chance, you gotta do something

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

u take turns idiot

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord
so do y'all think this guy will end the republic?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Usually the sports stars get the best stuff and don't get put in the queue for their free cars.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
Elevated power lines? lol what year is it

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002
Every time some one calls CNN fake news and they have a meltdown is a victory for humanity in general.

Also election fraud is physically impossible and never happens unless our side loses and we need a scape goat.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
Why is SPH bitching about commies and hippies? Does he think Trump actually pulled out a time machine and he's fighting hippies?

"RAAAAR COMMUNISM BAD REDISTRIBUTION BAD I FOUGHT FOR WHAT'S MINE gently caress YOU GOT MINE" seemingly without any prompting

Also I know I'm adding a lot of hyperbole but he does that too so gently caress him.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

Harrower posted:

Every time some one calls CNN fake news and they have a meltdown is a victory for humanity in general.

Also election fraud is physically impossible and never happens unless our side loses and we need a scape goat.

uh your side won and has still been squealing about it the whole time

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Lumpy the Cook posted:

1. Wrong. The unfettered global trade system which has sprung up between then and now has caused, and is causing, far more problems than it could ever hope to solve.
2. Wrong.

You're a spoiled little bitch who is furious at the idea that your lack of employment is being used to end poverty in countries that have for decades under communist rule

There are less conflicts, less poverty, less wars, and less repression than there was when the Cold War was winding down. Climate change is something we can deal with. We live longer and don't die from easily preventable diseases. There is no dospite that the world is better.

TheSpamalope
Dec 30, 2008

by sebmojo
Lipstick Apathy
Climate change is gonna be hella rad we gonna get hosed up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheSpamalope
Dec 30, 2008

by sebmojo
Lipstick Apathy
Donald Trump is the president and a lot of people think that it's normal somehow lol

• Locked thread