Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Either way, this show hasn't been slow about things. If Alice isn't there this week, then I bet the whole thing will be resolved in one episode right after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smashurbanipal
Sep 12, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT BEING A SHITTY POSTER
Looked like they were going to have the Beast strip away Julia's humanity with all his talk of her Fade and making the hurt go away. Guess not.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Julia/Reynard stuff: What I remember from the books is that Reynard fucks her, but explicitly doesn't kill her, and instead sucks something out of her - implied to be her 'soul'. And since she no longer has a soul keeping her human, for the rest of the books she's on a path to become 'something else' - either something like Reynard or, at the end when she calls on the Goddess the last time, the Goddess fills that 'hole' in Julia and that's why she becomes a dryad or whatever.

It's weird in that the show seems to have swapped Reynard and the Beast around in this - Martin is offering to do to her what Reynard forced on her in the books.

e: I'm only up to s4e2 though so maybe this last episode will derail that!

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
what kind of magic are you using to be watching the fourth season? :downsrim:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Quentin's wooden shoulder, not mentioned much in the books either.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

muscles like this! posted:

Quentin's wooden shoulder, not mentioned much in the books either.
I actually seem to recall that yeah, I'm pretty sure that he did get a re-build out of wood, in the end of book 1, iirc.

For some reason I really dug the end of book 1 when Quentin went "a-questing" because it felt a lot like some old Lovecraftian "Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath" style poo poo. But he deffo had a portion or two of his body replaced with living wood in the book - I'd bet you a dollar!

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

"Where are my stuff touchers!?"

Edit: What knot does Eliot's tie have? Foggs?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Only Elliot can have sex in two worlds at once.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

bull3964 posted:

Only Elliot can have sex in two worlds at once.

It reminded me a lot of Sense 8. I was okay with it.

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!
lol @ book mating for copying.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

geeves posted:

"Where are my stuff touchers!?"

Edit: What knot does Eliot's tie have? Foggs?

looks like a Tulip knot, but it's tied loose

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Felix Gaeta as a pooping centaur out of nowhere!

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Poor Kacey Rohl, she just has no luck with cannibals.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

This is kinda charming: http://www.syfy.com/themagicians/videos/the-magicians-answer-your-adulting-questions

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Fix the well? Nah! Give me the power to defeat Reynard? Nah! Send me back to NY.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

If anyone else is in some european country where you are not allowed to see this, it's also on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XAVUYPjj8U

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I really expected they were going to save the showdown with the Beast for the season finale, so this has been a surprising first part of the season.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Penny was great (as always). I lost it at the matter of fact way he said "My hands tried to kill me so I broke my own arms."

And calling the centaurs Bronies.

And his stuff touchers.

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000

gohmak posted:

Fix the well? Nah! Give me the power to defeat Reynard? Nah! Send me back to NY.

Quentin doesn't react well when he doesn't get exactly what he wants or how he wants it. That's part of what makes him a pain in the rear end.

Margo: "I know we're being serious right now - but that doctor has the biggest dick."
Elliot: *solemn nod*

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Harrow posted:

I really expected they were going to save the showdown with the Beast for the season finale, so this has been a surprising first part of the season.

I'm not entirely sure he's dead, at least as far as the show is concerned. They made a point of lingering on the shot of that blue moth escaping and Alice very much not setting it on fire. It feels like they at least have a phylactery seeded if they want to bring him back.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

ZorajitZorajit posted:

I'm not entirely sure he's dead, at least as far as the show is concerned. They made a point of lingering on the shot of that blue moth escaping and Alice very much not setting it on fire. It feels like they at least have a phylactery seeded if they want to bring him back.

Which I hope they do. The showtunes were terrifying. They really nailed the 'Mr. Rogers/Walt Disney, but loving evil' vibe.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Campbell posted:

Quentin doesn't react well when he doesn't get exactly what he wants or how he wants it. That's part of what makes him a pain in the rear end.

Margo: "I know we're being serious right now - but that doctor has the biggest dick."

Seriously that was one of the best scenes. This show has become my favorite, because of things like this.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Campbell posted:

Yeah, it pretty much fits that Quentin's wish was to run away instead of helping out his oldest friend who is trying to stop a raping, killing demon, or helping his closest friend run a kingdom that he's stuck in because of their quest, or just hanging around until Penny wakes up. Quentin's a douche.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Campbell posted:

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The TV IV > The Magicians: That surgeon has the biggest dick

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Remember when a bunch of you used to rag on this show??

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rocksicles posted:

Remember when a bunch of you used to rag on this show??

This show is still garbage but it is entertaining as gently caress and full of really pretty people.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Rhyno posted:

This show is still garbage but it is entertaining as gently caress and full of really pretty people.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Ive never not loved this show. But I also binged season 1 two weeks before season 2 started.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Error 404 posted:

Ive never not loved this show. But I also binged season 1 two weeks before season 2 started.

Same here.

The show definitely does have its weak points though. For example I still haven't warmed up to Quentin. He seems totally... average. Not the type of main "hero" character that the audience can relate to and cheer for (okay, maybe you nerds can relate to him. I can't.).

I'm not asking for a flawless badass or a Mary Sue, but someone who has a few strong qualities. Quentin seems to have none. He's soppy, whiny, immature, can barely cast any spells.

Alice is a lot more relatable for that reason. She, too, is socially awkward, but also quite competent.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

enraged_camel posted:

Same here.

The show definitely does have its weak points though. For example I still haven't warmed up to Quentin. He seems totally... average. Not the type of main "hero" character that the audience can relate to and cheer for (okay, maybe you nerds can relate to him. I can't.).

I'm not asking for a flawless badass or a Mary Sue, but someone who has a few strong qualities. Quentin seems to have none. He's soppy, whiny, immature, can barely cast any spells.

Alice is a lot more relatable for that reason. She, too, is socially awkward, but also quite competent.

Yeah, that's Quentin!

In the books it's talked about more how each magician has a specialty innate to them: Penny is a traveler, Josh is good with portals, Alice is good with manipulating light. Nobody can figure out what Quentin's specialty actually is until he's like 30.

But yeah, Quentin is naturally talented but it takes a while for him to actually apply himself like Alice or Penny who are incredibly talented and motivated.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Isn't that the point though, that Quentin is a schlubby doofus and about as far afield from a proper protagonist as any random audience member. He fails constantly, he's not good at anything. The Magicians is about calling out the "Wizard School" narrative for propping up a generation on the idea that they're all special heroes. It reminds us that we're all Quentin in the end -- useless, petty, and clinging to a childhood that would have been better off left far behind.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Isn't that the point though, that Quentin is a schlubby doofus and about as far afield from a proper protagonist as any random audience member. He fails constantly, he's not good at anything. The Magicians is about calling out the "Wizard School" narrative for propping up a generation on the idea that they're all special heroes. It reminds us that we're all Quentin in the end -- useless, petty, and clinging to a childhood that would have been better off left far behind.

This. I love Quentin because I hate him so loving much. He is every harry potter obsessed jackass ive ever known.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That's a fantastic way to look at Q and I hadn't really thought if him in that light.

Too busy staring at Alice I guess.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

AngryBooch posted:

Yeah, that's Quentin!

In the books it's talked about more how each magician has a specialty innate to them: Penny is a traveler, Josh is good with portals, Alice is good with manipulating light. Nobody can figure out what Quentin's specialty actually is until he's like 30.

... and then his specialty ends up being something stupid like 'mending small things'.

The entire point of Quentin is that he's a manbaby loser, basically the diametric opposite of the prophesied Harry Potter One. He doesn't even start growing up until the third book, and even then it's more about him coming to terms with how he's basically hosed everything up and wasted half his life and where to go from there.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

WarLocke posted:

... and then his specialty ends up being something stupid like 'mending small things'.

The entire point of Quentin is that he's a manbaby loser, basically the diametric opposite of the prophesied Harry Potter One. He doesn't even start growing up until the third book, and even then it's more about him coming to terms with how he's basically hosed everything up and wasted half his life and where to go from there.

And I love how everyone last year was jumping on the "Quentin is the chosen one? what?" BS (including me) but then it was all because of the time loop and Quentin thought he was the hero so the Beast did too :v:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

I'm still holding out hope that the end of the show reveals that it's been one of the earlier/pre-books loops the entire time, then rocks fall, everyone dies, hit that reset button. :getin:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Too busy staring at Alice I guess.

We all are. She is gifted in more than one way.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

enraged_camel posted:

We all are. She is gifted in more than one way.

Good lord yes. I've been a fan of hers for a long time now.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I too like her titties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rocksicles posted:

I too like her titties.

Well there's that but she's also loving hilarious. She's been in a couple hundred 5 Second Films.