Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
Following a whole episode of "She's a Luthor so she must be evil!" with Lena becoming evil would be silly, so checkmate sounds good, I hope that's where they're going with her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I never read cast lists so I honestly didn't realise until this episode that Lena is played by Katie McGrath. :downs:

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Mortanis posted:

Hopefully we've not put the whole "Kara is upset with James being Guardian" thing to rest and move on.
I want to know why Hank doesn't have Wynn's head given his excuse for not having fixed Kara's anti-kryptonite chest plate thingy is he was too busy working on Guardian's poo poo. Seems that was one of his main objections to Wynn's moonlighting as Guardian-dispatch that it would affect his job and here he is admitting that it is and in a rather major way to boot.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

They need to reveal in Supergirl's universe, the West's are the Gordons and Jim is Commissiar Gordon and Iris is Babs.
... this is what I had already assumed was the case in Earth-38 before you mentioned this. :staredog:

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
Lena :popeye: goddamn. Bets on whether the CW would ever have the lead of a show be gay, or have two gay relationships in one show?

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

rapeface posted:

Lena :popeye: goddamn. Bets on whether the CW would ever have the lead of a show be gay, or have two gay relationships in one show?

Kara is too naive to notice anything like flirting, especially from Lena, who she considers a great friend. Also, I get the impression that Lena just flirts with everybody as part of her personal display of power.

Oh, and my wife helpfully pointed out that Lex obviously got his crazy from his mother since Lena seems to be just as much a super-genius without the mad scientist part.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
Does she? I only noticed it with Kara/Supergirl. She and Winn worked together and I didn't see anything.

I'd like to see her interact with more of the group though. Actually, all the side characters should interact with each other more.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Kara is a pretty terrible reporter. Just wanted to put that out there.

She could do celebrity interviews for one of CatCo's magazines. She'd be much better at that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
She should just not be a reporter. She doesn't need to do everything Clark does.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I was bothered that her complete disregard of the available evidence was painted as a positive.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Um excuse you but what you call :airquote: available evidence :airquote: she would simply deem alternative facts

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tree Dude posted:

I was bothered that her complete disregard of the available evidence was painted as a positive.

Like, the only way I could see Kara being actually in the right there instead of being in the right because she's the main character and the show's reality bending to prove her right is if Lena had been a major character and friends with Kara since early season 1 and her alleged actions with regard to her mother were completely and obviously out of character for her.

Otherwise it's a case of "dude, you've only known her for three months, how can you be sure what's really going on here?"

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

To be totally fair, she has spent exponentially more social time with Lena than all the time the rest of the cast have spent with Lena combined. Three months is not short amount of time, and they're hardly strangers at this point. It's not totally unreasonable for Kara to be the lone dissenting voice against everyone else here.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Kara defended Lena because that's who Kara is. She's friends with Lena so she gives her the benefit of the doubt.

The rest were all right to look at the evidence and Kara was being stubborn, but that's what she is. And lucky for her its her show so she was right.

Makes her a good superhero, but a really terrible reporter. I'm glad Snapper didn't actually give her any kind of credit for it and just said "yesterday the story was she's guilty, today its that she's innocent."

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
I think there was supposed to be a message in there somewhere about believing in people, not pre-emptively judging people, not jumping to conclusions, and the power of friendship.

The episode would probably have been better without the video of her doing it. The evidence pointing at Lena could've been only circumstantial and that everyone thinks she's guilty because she's a Luthor. Plus, they wouldn't have needed that silly techno-babble about reversing the cyborg code.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It was kind of stupid to have Winn going "Yup, totally footage of her, no fakery here. Oh, wait, its getting close to the end of the episode, I guess it was faked."

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, that was kind of an unnecessary piece of damning evidence that then had be handwaved away. Seems like they could have made a compelling case for Lena's guilt anyway but I guess the show runners wanted to really make sure that Hank, Alex, Winn, and James weren't really in the wrong either. They seemed like they really didn't want either side to be wrong or have to apologize, but that kind of just made Kara stubborn and lucky.

But I'm fine with it because Supergirl is better than the rest of us.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

To my way of thinking, the thing that should've shaken Kara's faith in Lena wasn't that she stole the kryptonite, it was that she had kryptonite to steal in the first place.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think they tried to make that the big thing that Kara pushed as suspicious as she kept bringing up how Clark took all the kryptonite, but it just didn't really resonate through the episode.

I think because none of us would have been surprised if there had just been some more kryptonite "just because."

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Given what happened the last time somebody tried to synthesize kryptonite, you'd think people would've been more curious about it.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Kara had a point about Lena's having turned in her mother, and Jimmy's response of "she turned in her mother, who knows what she's capable of" was really loving dumb. And following that up with a suggestion of some kind long-con was just as stubborn as Kara's ignoring the evidence.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

James was definitely making some dumb arguments but that was keeping with his general approach to Lena which has always been "She's a Luthor! I was there for Lex! Don't make the same mistakes!"

Its unfair and kind of lovely but its consistent with him. James' entire character is basically driven by being hung up on his years as Superman's sidekick.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I did actually appreciate him bringing up Lex and Superman's relationship. It adds more background and history to this universe, reinforcing the fact that National City isn't the only city in the world and there was a lot of stuff happening before Kara ever first put on her suit. Especially since this episode was all about exploring the Luthors' history specifically.

...And then James just had to bring it all back around to himself, like, "Why don't you believe in Guardian this much, Kara??" Bitch no one cares

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

After this week's episode I sure hope we see more of Lena. :stare:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

BrianWilly posted:

I did actually appreciate him bringing up Lex and Superman's relationship. It adds more background and history to this universe, reinforcing the fact that National City isn't the only city in the world and there was a lot of stuff happening before Kara ever first put on her suit. Especially since this episode was all about exploring the Luthors' history specifically.

...And then James just had to bring it all back around to himself, like, "Why don't you believe in Guardian this much, Kara??" Bitch no one cares

Yeah, its a weird kind of thing because even though they introduced James specifically to create that connection all of Supergirl's enemies have originated with her and not from Clark. That's a good thing for the show and character but it does make you wonder who Superman's fights have been with and why none of that has bled over.

Lena and the mom are the show's first real attempt to draw into that Superman history by giving Supergirl her own version of it that is connected to Lex. If this had been done in S1 James would probably be much more heavily involved in it, but nowadays James is all about Guardian and his relationship with Kara has really broken down over the season.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

Checkmate was actually what Waller's organization was called in the comics, not ARGUS. They were less mustache twirling evil than Arrow and much more shades-of-grey DCAU. So, more of a tweener I guess: out for the greater good but willing to get her hands dirty.

I actually didn't know Checkmate was under Task Force X and not independent. I think it moved away from that in later comic books (about 10 years ago and about 20 years after its introduction) and became a more S.H.I.E.L.D. like entity that was under the UN Security Council with a number of notable members like Alan Scott (the original GL), Mister Terrific, and Maxwell Lord. At this point in comics, Checkmate is still in the same position as a UN sanctioned spy agency (I think), but it's not made much appearances outside of gatherings with other spy orgs or in the latest arc involving Lord.

Interestingly enough, Cadmus is from the 70s and was largely involved with genetic engineering and, notably, the creation of Superboy. A.R.G.U.S. is a recent invention that was introduced with the New52 and basically filled the role Checkmate did when it was introduced. I don't recall how the D.E.O. fits in with A.R.G.U.S. since both exist in the DCU and are both US agencies. Presumably one is Military and the other is Civil, but idk. I do wish Mister Bones got an appearance on Supergirl.

I do hope we get S.H.A.D.E. one day. That might push the budget too hard though depending on if they use the older version with the Freedom Fighters or the newer version with Frankenstein and the Creature Commandos.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

We're all deep into baseless speculation but since the idea has been brought IF they bring in Checkmate formed by Lena as a counter to Cadmus/DEO it would be really cool if they introduce Supergirl's Earth's Amanda Waller with the same actress as being in charge after her Earth 1/ARGUS version was killed off in Arrow. Would just be a cool little twist/connection.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
They killed off Waller and Deadshot because they had to embargo her for Suicide Squad.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

enraged_camel posted:

After this week's episode I sure hope we see more of Lena. :stare:

Given how she was bending over in that top it'd be hard to see less :stare:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

STAC Goat posted:

We're all deep into baseless speculation but since the idea has been brought IF they bring in Checkmate formed by Lena as a counter to Cadmus/DEO it would be really cool if they introduce Supergirl's Earth's Amanda Waller with the same actress as being in charge after her Earth 1/ARGUS version was killed off in Arrow. Would just be a cool little twist/connection.

If Waller ever showed up on this show (she won't because of the dumb DC movie/tv split ruling stuff) I want her to be played by CCH Pounder.

Also, did I forget how/why Maxwell Lord was written out of the show or was he just dropped?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There was a line in the first episode of the season kind of hand waving away his disappearance. Getting rid of him was probably just a side effect of the channel change over and how they revamped some characters. Like how he was written as a potential love interest for Alex but that's kind of pointless when she's gay.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

WarLocke posted:

Also, did I forget how/why Maxwell Lord was written out of the show or was he just dropped?

As I understand/remember it, the actor wasn't able to schedule around shooting in Vancouver.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
"I could show you the world..."

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

thank you supergirl

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Winn's got himself an alien girlfriend

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
OMG it's your first Valentine's Day with Maggie that's so exciting!!!

And now breaking out the wine.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I am not throwing away my shot!

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Kara is going to have so much to explain to Clark.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
You wanna get nuts? Let's get nuts!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Nasty woman!