Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

This is pretty true, but those three complaints would only be scratching the surface of why post-classic seasons are bad.

The amount of "wacky filler" and cartoony moments is probably the most glossed over aspect of the classic seasons. The show was never grounded in reality, but giving those wacky moments actual good comedic timing, knowing when the joke has gone on long enoguh, and not over-explaining the jokes makes a massive difference.

For sure. Some goon earlier posted that "Indiana Jones" parody scene as an example of Simpsons doing cartoony well. The only difference between that and some of the silly stuff they try to do currently is that back then they had a higher standard of expressive animation, and— as you mentioned— better timing. It really is not hard to imagine that exact sequence made today coming off as incredibly lame just due to shittiness in those departments.

It's pretty much like they still try to write that type of humor all the time, but the execution is so flat the whole thing just comes off as embarrassing.

Also, too, I guess those sequences were also funnier because they were less expected, the Simpsons still riding on the expectation set back then that they were just a sitcom that happened to be drawn as opposed to a full-fledged cartoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it'd be hard for me to watch the show even if it was funnier due to the sanitized art style/animation.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Note: Since your intro is attached to every episode, its animation quality is higher and more fluid than the episode content.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Newgrounds style tweening would probably have more charm than the current animation

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

I thought the new intro was kind of fun when I first saw it, thinking it was just a one-off riff on the usual opening with some Easter eggs for the fans. I think if they just left it at that it would have been okay.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
I always thought the Louis Lane thing was a hilarious idea. You can even see one or two buildups to it in the show - like when Otto suggests Superman come save the town from giant ads and Comic Book Guy's all "oh, please". Now that that idea is unmade that joke doesn't really make sense anymore beyond "seeing cbg be stuck-up about worthless things is funny".

I don't mind the joke that instead CBG's name is totally uninteresting, but it would've been better to make it interesting.

edit: Baby Gerald never ever should have been used outside of that "Even Maggie's got an enemy" scene.

Cobweb Heart fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Feb 15, 2017

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Cobweb Heart posted:

edit: Baby Gerald never ever should have been used outside of that "Even Maggie's got an enemy" scene.

It was kind of funny the second time we see him, when Mayor Quimby was at the rally honoring Bart's dog for saving him from a fire he started off camera (or something like that.) "Baby Gerald, we can't help but wonder what mischief you'll get into next." It was funny because it had nothing to do with him being Maggie's nemesis, but that he was a cute lil' evil arsonist.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

It was kind of funny the second time we see him, when Mayor Quimby was at the rally honoring Bart's dog for saving him from a fire he started off camera (or something like that.) "Baby Gerald, we can't help but wonder what mischief you'll get into next." It was funny because it had nothing to do with him being Maggie's nemesis, but that he was a cute lil' evil arsonist.

drat, that is funny and I don't even remember that one!

Other characters they DIDN'T gently caress up: Lester and Eliza have never been seen again, except beforehand as generic kid designs.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

Cobweb Heart posted:

drat, that is funny and I don't even remember that one!

Other characters they DIDN'T gently caress up: Lester and Eliza have never been seen again, except beforehand as generic kid designs.

It was in that scene that Baby Gerald got his name.

Also Lester and Eliza are based on how Bart and Lisa used to be drawn in the earlier Tracey Ullman shorts.

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

All ears, all eyes, all the time!
There was one episode where Marge calls someone a butthole and I remember thinking "that's really crass and out of character for her" when it first aired and the writers apparently agreed because they eventually decided to give her the regressive sexual lexicon of a third grader.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Groovelord Neato posted:

the most hosed up thing about the movie is they have al brooks as the villain but he's not hank scorpio

(also why the gently caress is the president arnold and not rainer woftcastle).

one of the very first things i ever tracked down when i got the internet was this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwUQWamRNiY

it's in a ton of old episodes (to the point i consider it the secondary theme song) and i was so pumped when i finally found out what it was.

I ALWAYS WONDERED. Thank you.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I will still argue up and down with people about their rosy memories of the first bunch of seasons. There were plenty of:

1. "Family Guy-esque cutaways" even though Family Guy didn't exist yet
2. Pointless celebrity cameos
3. Bad writing wackyness

All the very specific criticisms people constantly level at the later seasons are there in the early seasons. You are glossing over them because of nostalgia. However, the early seasons could get by with lazy writing and lazy animation BECAUSE THEY WERE ACTUALLY FUNNY.

Youre going to have to name some examples to win me over on this one duder. I don't recall any family guy esque cutaways at all and the pointless celebrities is probably up for debate depending on which ones you mean.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Adam West was a pointless celebrity cameo

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, often in the classic episodes a celebrity will show up and deliver a line or two, but they usually at least came up with an appropriate reason for them to be there and the episode isn't centered around them. Adam West was there at a car show with the original Batmobile. Or Leonard Nimoy in Mage vs. the Monorail - it's a little forced but it also makes sense that they would try to get some celebrities to attend the event for publicity.

There aren't any Family Guy-esque cutaways in that they never cut to a non-canonical scene where the characters are inserted into a random pop culture reference, but there are cutaways.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Nutsngum posted:

Youre going to have to name some examples to win me over on this one duder. I don't recall any family guy esque cutaways at all and the pointless celebrities is probably up for debate depending on which ones you mean.

They did a number of flashbacks and such, though not as egregiously non-sequitur as Family Guy's "This is worse than the time..." stuff. For example, Homer saying "Some of the best times I've ever had were in the back seat of a car," then cutting to him eating a sandwich in the back of a car.

On celebrities, you've got "Tony Randall!" in the Capitol City episode, Adam West, James Woods, Mickey Roarke, Paul and Linda. I mean they're all funny, but still mostly "pointless" in the sense that they just show up for a gag and not in service of the plot.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Drink-Mix Man posted:

On celebrities, you've got "Tony Randall!" in the Capitol City episode, Adam West, James Woods, Mickey Roarke, Paul and Linda. I mean they're all funny, but still mostly "pointless" in the sense that they just show up for a gag and not in service of the plot.

I suppose the difference would be that they were just around for a brief couple of funny gags, rather than having the majority of an episode revolve around them. And being unfunny.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

1. "Family Guy-esque cutaways" even though Family Guy didn't exist yet

This wrinkles my brain a little bit because cutaways didn't get so much flak until Family Guy overused them, so how could The Simpsons' writers create "Family Guy-esque cutaways" aka "overused cutaways" when A. Family Guy didn't exist B. they didn't overuse them and C. generally speaking, they weren't really overdone at the time in TV shows ?

Last Chance fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Feb 16, 2017

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Homer thinking about a sandwich in a car when you think he's thinking about fukkin and sukkin is funnier that Peter randomly talking about Paul Weller going paintballing because one is a joke with a setup and punchline and one is a gag that you'd get on a sketch show.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
Im so glad it isnt Scorpio in the movie so his character isnt tarnished by that abomination

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

Nonviolent J posted:

Im so glad it isnt Scorpio in the movie so his character isnt tarnished by that abomination

This.

My biggest problem with the Simpsons movie was that it didn't feel like the Simpsons. Who the hell thought it would be a good idea to change Wolfcastle into Arnold? It had to get "big" and it felt anemic because of it. Bringing back Scorpio would have been bad for many reasons, but the biggest is that he's a likeable character and seemingly down to earth people's person from our perspective.

Granted I haven't seen an episode since 2006 or something...

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Simpsons Movie 2: Hank Scorpio runs for President.

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Adam West was a great celebrity cameo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PCL15eKnPE

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

Good direction, but it needs to send Homer to outer space again and have at least seven guest celebrities playing themselves who all need Homer's help. Lisa has to have a crush on two guys this time, and they have to be Abercrombie child models who've moved to Springfield-- surprise! Their dad is Elon Musk! Wow! Also something about whatever other family members there are. ... they all go to India where they meet Hank Scorpio! There, Homer lands Elon's new prototype spaceship and convinces Hank to run for president... where a fight between Richard Branson and Elon breaks out!

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
When I think of a pointless celebrity cameo episode, I think of that one where Homer literally drops through a celebrity couple's skylight and spends the rest of the episode giving them relationship advice. I tried to refresh my memory on the details, but then I instead found an episode about Mandy Moore stripteasing at a baseball game and then later pole-dancing in front of Bart and moaning while Homer gives her a massage. Homer then crashes a blimp, but is fine.

Like, alright.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Drink-Mix Man posted:

They did a number of flashbacks and such, though not as egregiously non-sequitur as Family Guy's "This is worse than the time..." stuff. For example, Homer saying "Some of the best times I've ever had were in the back seat of a car," then cutting to him eating a sandwich in the back of a car.

That's not the same thing at all. That's a simple joke with a set up in the present and a payoff in the flahsback.
Family Guy would cut to a completely unrelated re-enactment of a movie scene or Peter fighting a giant chicken for ten minutes

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

Drunken Baker posted:

Homer thinking about a sandwich in a car when you think he's thinking about fukkin and sukkin is funnier that Peter randomly talking about Paul Weller going paintballing because one is a joke with a setup and punchline and one is a gag that you'd get on a sketch show.

Yeah. Those fg cut aways are available in sketch form and they're so much better for it.

Backweb posted:

This.

My biggest problem with the Simpsons movie was that it didn't feel like the Simpsons. Who the hell thought it would be a good idea to change Wolfcastle into Arnold? It had to get "big" and it felt anemic because of it. Bringing back Scorpio would have been bad for many reasons, but the biggest is that he's a likeable character and seemingly down to earth people's person from our perspective.

Granted I haven't seen an episode since 2006 or something...

Wolfcastle being literally Arnold is another example of neo Simpsons needing to explain every joke. Rainer was basically Arnold but was better when just called Rainer because then you're ripping on a Hollywood stock character (could also be van damme or lundgren) instead of gossipping about celebs.

E: because the Simpsons was so good at sending up tropes, I used to think that Matlock, macgyver and jay Sherman were all their own creations like itchy and scratchy.

Das Boo posted:

When I think of a pointless celebrity cameo episode, I think of that one where Homer literally drops through a celebrity couple's skylight and spends the rest of the episode giving them relationship advice. I tried to refresh my memory on the details, but then I instead found an episode about Mandy Moore stripteasing at a baseball game and then later pole-dancing in front of Bart and moaning while Homer gives her a massage. Homer then crashes a blimp, but is fine.

Like, alright.

When you dish upon a star?

Season 10....

PallasAthene
Dec 6, 2010

Why, vixen, have you again set the gods by the ears in the pride and haughtiness of your heart?

Benny Harvey posted:

Wolfcastle being literally Arnold is another example of neo Simpsons needing to explain every joke. Rainer was basically Arnold but was better when just called Rainer because then you're ripping on a Hollywood stock character (could also be van damme or lundgren) instead of gossipping about celebs.

E: because the Simpsons was so good at sending up tropes, I used to think that Matlock, macgyver and jay Sherman were all their own creations like itchy and scratchy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pjqc1hqbRmA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RJei9xpRrI

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
Wasn't there some God awful episode where Frank Grimes' twin tried to kill homer? Also Bart went to fat camp?

This must have been at least 10 years ago and I stopped watching even before that point

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The moment I realized that the Simpsons had become terrible was the one where Tony Hawk gave Homer a magic skateboard. It was probably bad before then, but that was the point where I stopped watching.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

when i say something like it's hosed up they used al brooks in the movie and not make him hank scorpio i didn't mean just plop hank scorpio into the movie as we got it. the mindset that would've written that into the plot would've been one that didn't make the movie we saw (since it'd have to go into more depth about the dome since hank and homer know each other).

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I can grudgingly admit there's still a couch gag worth checking out once in a while when they have guest animators. La Z Rider was the best simpsons related anything in fifteen years.

https://youtu.be/kZu5iDTtNg0

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy

Groovelord Neato posted:

the most hosed up thing about the movie is they have al brooks as the villain but he's not hank scorpio

(also why the gently caress is the president arnold and not rainer woftcastle).

one of the very first things i ever tracked down when i got the internet was this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwUQWamRNiY

it's in a ton of old episodes (to the point i consider it the secondary theme song) and i was so pumped when i finally found out what it was.

This is super-familiar but I can't quite place where it's from. What episodes/scenes has it been used in?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqLGAtvnMLU

it also plays in disco stu's version of heaven.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Feb 17, 2017

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy

Groovelord Neato posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqLGAtvnMLU

it also plays in disco stu's version of heaven.

aaah yes it's coming back now. I'm surprised how much it was bothering me that there was a classic Simpsons reference I couldn't identify

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Benny Harvey posted:

When you dish upon a star?

Season 10....

Thaaat's the one.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat

Das Boo posted:

Thaaat's the one.

Das bus

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

I'll krump with you sweetie pie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aging Millenial
Nov 24, 2016

by zen death robot
What's really annoying about the show is how repulsive the animation became. They don't care that simple hand-drawn animation of the golden era simply look better than the pristine computerized crap they have now.