Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
If you aren't factoring in the impact of inflation on your investment and only earn a return equal to inflation then it's your own fault and you should not get a government handout to help you the mitigate risk. The only exception to this should be the primary residence, but I'd be tempted to increase the 1 year threshold on that since that seems like it'd mainly benefit those flipping houses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
How old was Aisha when she got married? Why is pork a sin to eat yet marrying a 6 year old girl is ok? Who killed 800 men in Medina? What's the penalty for leaving your faith? Why do gays get hung from cranes in Iran? Why can't women drive a car in Saudi? Why do CHRISTIANS get 10 years in jail for owning a bible or wearing a crucifix around their neck in Saudi Arabia? Why is there no problem with terrorism in Japan?

foolish_fool
Jul 22, 2010

SuddenCactus posted:

He's holding a ballpoint pen. Surely they could have asked him to hold a fountain pen.

It kinda looks like it could be a Parker 51 or similar. The nibs don't really stand out in the normal way.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Recoome posted:

How old was Aisha when she got married? Why is pork a sin to eat yet marrying a 6 year old girl is ok? Who killed 800 men in Medina? What's the penalty for leaving your faith? Why do gays get hung from cranes in Iran? Why can't women drive a car in Saudi? Why do CHRISTIANS get 10 years in jail for owning a bible or wearing a crucifix around their neck in Saudi Arabia? Why is there no problem with terrorism in Japan?

uuuuhhhhhh, you forgot quote tags

still relevant

https://twitter.com/JamColley/status/748654726904836096

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Fairfax had reportedly acquired a draft of a George Christiansen resignation letter.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
The leaks

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Also a cyclist got ran over by an idiot driver in Brisbane today, and it's caused loving mayhem out on the westside because Moggill Rd is literally the only road in and it occurred at a very unfortunate choke-point (one of many) where if you got stuck on it you were hosed and couldn't bypass it. Apparently the backlog was 7km+

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Sydney, 17 February 2017: The Chairman of the Australian Bankers’ Association, Andrew Thorburn, today announced the appointment of Anna Bligh to lead the ABA as it continues its work to strengthen trust and confidence in banking and deliver better outcomes for customers.

“We are excited to appoint Anna as Chief Executive Officer at such a pivotal time for our industry,” Mr Thorburn said.

“Anna’s focus will firmly be on the culture within banking and lifting respect for our profession; creating a strong vision for customers and on how our industry responds and leads on regulatory reform.

“As I’ve met with Anna I’ve seen the leadership, values and accountability she will bring to the role – and a willingness to confront and challenge the industry to continually improve.

“Anna has a track record of community service and a strong ability to connect with people. She is highly regarded and respected by community, political and business leaders and understands the need for all stakeholders to work together to deliver the best outcome for customers.”

Mr Thorburn added: “Australia has a world-class banking system and there is more we can do to be better for customers and demonstrate the role banks play for them, the broader community and the Australian economy.

“We have also heard the message from customers and from the public, and the industry is serious about change. The appointment of Anna demonstrates our commitment to this.”

Ms Bligh has more than 30 years’ experience in public service, initially with community organisations, before entering the Queensland Parliament in 1995. She held ministerial responsibilities for a number of portfolios including Education and Finance, and served as Treasurer and Deputy Premier before becoming Premier from 2007-2012.

She holds Honorary Doctorates from the University of Queensland and Griffith University and the National Emergency Services Medal for her service during the Queensland floods in 2011. Ms Bligh was awarded a Companion of the Order of Australia (AC) in the Australia Day honours in 2017.

Ms Bligh is currently the Chief Executive Officer at YWCA New South Wales, a role she has held for the past three years. During that time she has worked with vulnerable and financially disadvantaged Australians.

Ms Bligh said: “Our banks are critical to the strength and stability of our national economy and the prosperity and well-being of every Australian. We all rely on our bank for the most important financial decisions of our lives, so we want a system that is open, fair and trustworthy.

“I am excited by this opportunity to lead and shape the reforms needed to strengthen public trust and confidence in our banking system.”

Ms Bligh, who becomes the ABA’s first female CEO, will commence in the role on 3 April. She replaces Steven Münchenberg, who announced in October last year that he was stepping down after almost seven years as CEO.

Mr Münchenberg will finish with the ABA on 14 April, to enable a transition to Ms Bligh.

“On behalf of the membership and Council of the ABA, I want to thank Steven for his commitment and strong leadership as the industry navigated through a rapidly changing political, regulatory and economic environment following the global financial crisis,” Mr Thorburn said.

“Steven is a total professional who has worked tirelessly during what have been challenging times for our industry. We have a stronger foundation to build on thanks to Steven and his team.”

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

You Am I posted:

Truly he is a piss weak PM. It's getting embarrassing how awful he is at negotiating, which is terrible since he was a lawyer and investment banker. Maybe he's so used to getting his own way all the time due to those previous roles that he doesn't understand when someone stands up to him.

His problem is that he negotiates too much to try and look like A Reasonable Man, but he's dealing with cretins and fuckwits all day so it don't work.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

JBP posted:

His problem is that he negotiates too much to try and look like A Reasonable Man, but he's dealing with cretins and fuckwits all day so it don't work.

The problem is he's a spineless amorphous blob attempting to pour itself into a prime ministerial shaped cavity

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
I'll have you know sarin gas is actually perfectly fine to breathe you loving idiot. And furthermore any doomsday cult basing their predictions of doom off of Christian millenarianism is actually right.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Solemn Sloth posted:

The problem is he's a spineless amorphous blob attempting to pour itself into a prime ministerial shaped cavity

it like he and Shorten have changed places from 12-18 months ago

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Is there any 'terrorism' going on in Saudi Arabia right now? Or the UAE? (non government perpetrated I mean)

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

A bit, yeah. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrorism_in_Saudi_Arabia

starkebn
May 18, 2004

hmmm, that's no counter argument then :/

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

JBP posted:

Is that you Joh Bjelke-Postersen?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Christensen: somehow even worse than before:

George Christensen Has Spoken To An Anti-Aboriginal, Homophobic Podcast

quote:

“That GetUp, we all know it’s George Soros funded,” Christensen started on the podcast. “It’s in the whole big worldwide movement of leftist organisations.”

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

quote:

Former Labor leader Mark Latham has also become a regular guest on the podcast.

Hahaha

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I can't get into me old account because I registered it as a teen with my teen email RIP. Is LF back yet?

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.
Is George Soros handing out payments for being a leftie in Australia too? Where do I sign up?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

fiery_valkyrie posted:

Is George Soros handing out payments for being a leftie in Australia too? Where do I sign up?

How do you think I got this new forums account?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

I want my lefty payment :(

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

JBP posted:

I can't get into me old account because I registered it as a teen with my teen email RIP. Is LF back yet?

LF Never Left.

Also good to see you back!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

JBP posted:

LF isn't back, but C-Spam has a certain charm.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Periphery posted:

If you aren't factoring in the impact of inflation on your investment and only earn a return equal to inflation then it's your own fault and you should not get a government handout to help you the mitigate risk. The only exception to this should be the primary residence, but I'd be tempted to increase the 1 year threshold on that since that seems like it'd mainly benefit those flipping houses.

There's no CGT on the primary residence (but also you can't negatively gear it). Arguably, this is one of the distortions that makes property more attractive than other forms of investment.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Concatenation posted:

hahahaha

what, me worry?
Simply brilliant.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

quote:

These are NSW police as you've never seen them, crashing cars, shooting suspects...

https://www.facebook.com/7newssydney/videos/1549090041781790/

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

someone get him to start talking about pizzagate, please god

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

http://theconversation.com/morrison-pushed-ndis-hypothecation-announcement-despite-caution-about-timing-from-turnbulls-office-72994

Turnbull didn't want to attach the omnibus bill to the NDIS but Morrison overruled him lmao. the pm isn't even in control of his own frontbench.

RC Bandit
Sep 7, 2012

Hanson: It's Time

Grimey Drawer
Are the adults back in charge yet?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

JBP posted:

Sadly no, but occasionally we still wind up Hookshot like the old LF days. I miss your dance party JBP avatar

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Katherine Murphy seems to have woken up and realised that :itwaspoo:

quote:

We were talking about the relentlessness of everything. I told him I’d thought over Christmas about hanging up my boots because the universe we both inhabit now feels hostile to humanity, it now roils like a cauldron. Spend too long in a cauldron and you end up as essential nutrients for a witch.

His response to my expression of mental exhaustion has imprinted itself on my consciousness during the dysfunctional, desperate, pumped-up opening to the federal political contest in 2017: he said politics is now unsustainable for normal people.

By normal people, the MP meant balanced people, people who need to be people as well as politicians, people who think, and read and connect with loved ones and people outside the cauldron.

His reflection went a little further. If politics becomes impossible for balanced people, there are practical consequences.

The profession will attract only a narrow type of personality, the pumped-up pugilists who thrive on adrenaline and gain their power through cycles of destruction, people who can’t function without the constant affirmation of being a public figure, and the endorphin rush of being front and centre.

Politics will, in essence, winnow out its best and brightest and most reflective people, and replace them with a production line of heavyweight boxers looking for the KO, and a cadre of show ponies – enough about you, more about me.

You can see why that’s a clarion thought.

Uh Katherine, that's been the case for a decade. But read the rest, it's quite good, explaining why Shorten is in as much a mess as Turnbull. A mess none of us want, and no one will fix it.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Roger_Rogerson_online.com

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

it's bad actually

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

OH GOD WE CAN'T LET PEOPLE GET THIS MOD QUICK TELL EVERYONE ON NATIONAL NEWS

e. apparently it's a seven year old mod? Seriously media, come on.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
UNDERGROUND COMPUTER GEEKS

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

UNDERGROUND COMPUTER GEEKS

Redundant phrasing.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
https://twitter.com/kerrinbinnie/status/832433432252686336

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008