Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Biaga posted:

New to the thread, and curious about any recommendations.

I am a huge fan of League of the Extraordinary Gentlemen and really liked the Umbrella Corporation. Interested in more team comics with conflicting characters that reference or reflect more popular comic/historical/or famous characters in fiction.

I know it's a little bit of a long shot, but hopefully something is out there to grab my interest.

The Manhattan Projects? (It sucks though but a lot of people seem to like it.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Jerry Cotton posted:

The Manhattan Projects? (It sucks though but a lot of people seem to like it.)

The Manhattan Projects is pretty good. Although there are too many characters and it gets a bit jumbled up. Also doesn't help that the HC books comes out once every 2 years it seems.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Biaga posted:

New to the thread, and curious about any recommendations.

I am a huge fan of League of the Extraordinary Gentlemen and really liked the Umbrella Corporation. Interested in more team comics with conflicting characters that reference or reflect more popular comic/historical/or famous characters in fiction.

I know it's a little bit of a long shot, but hopefully something is out there to grab my interest.

If you meant Umbrella Academy, this doesn't exactly fit your criteria, but the writer Gerard Way just got Doom Patrol. I understand Umbrella was a big homage to that, so check out his dream job.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3789182&pagenumber=1

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Has Wolfman/Perez Titans aged well? I ask because the Omnibus seems cheap.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think it's a mixed bag.

Dick, Beast Boy, Raven, Cyborg, and Starfire are all really strong characters, but then you have a ton of really boring and/or annoying characters like Jericho, Donna Troy, Danny Chase, Pantha, and Kole. Then there's the amount of rape everywhere, and it really goes downhill later on, especially when it's just Wolfman.

But, I do think it is worth reading. The Judas Contract is a good story, and it is pretty much the defining run of Teen Titans for a reason.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
Bit of a weird question, but a friend of mine is starting some research into teaching a course with a component on Thor in comics, as contrasted with the mythological character. I've already given some advice on scholarly/academic stuff for comics interpretation and analysis (ha ha, I somehow got an advanced degree by writing a drat dissertation on this stuff) but I'm looking for some recommendations for general "Thor in Marvel" books.

Particular criteria for this is that it's for teaching a course to undergrads - most of it is meant to cover the actual myth, but he's looking for good examples of the contrast between Marvel!Thor and Myth!Thor without requiring large expenditures on the students' parts or reading a long arc. So basically, good one-shots or single issues that cover Thor, the assorted Thor-based replacements, and otherwise look at myth in the Marvel context. I've already pointed him to the recent Thor stuff and the existing divide between Thor and Odinsson, which is being examined through the lens of Thrymskvítha with hammer-as-identity versus hammer-as-masculinity, but I don't know much more.

I'd appreciate any help you might be able to offer on this, as I'm kinda inexperienced when it comes to the whole span of the Big Two in the US.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I dunno if you covered it in the recent stuff, but the start of Jason Aaron's Thor run is pretty fascinating with it cutting between three ages of Thor (young god in ancient history, current Thor and future king.) http://comicvine.gamespot.com/thor-god-of-thunder/4050-53920/?sortBy=asc
That's a two trade story arc, but for a single issue in there, there was a really nice one-and-done (#18) with young Thor saving a village from a dragon.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Feb 15, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The super old original Thor stuff Kirby and Lee published that was mostly adventures in the 9 realms is probably both the closest the comics ever come to the tone of the old myths and a great example of how completely different Marvel's take on Thor is.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If I had to pick three Thor runs to study, it would be the original Lee/Kirby stuff, the Simonson run, and the current, ongoing Aaron run. I think that's about all the overview of the character as is necessary.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

If I had to pick three Thor runs to study, it would be the original Lee/Kirby stuff, the Simonson run, and the current, ongoing Aaron run. I think that's about all the overview of the character as is necessary.

Pollard was a great artist though.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The local comic shop has a back issue sale where everything is 2$. Anyone have suggestions for fairly recent series from the Big 2 (ongoings or minis) that would be appropriate for an 8 year old boy? I particularly want stuff that relies on the art and isn't too wordy. He's reading the Nova ongoing right now and seems to enjoy that.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The current Superman. It has bright, shiny art and is mostly about Supe's 8 year old son :)

Edit: And from Marvel, if he doesn't mind reading about a girl, 'Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur' is really fun, and you get occasional appearances from the Hulk, Thing, etc.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Feb 17, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Oh no, his kid is a mascara-wearing partially-shaved chimp. :ohdear:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

Oh no, his kid is a mascara-wearing partially-shaved chimp. :ohdear:

I'm trying to think of the last time I saw an American printed cartoon artist draw a child that didn't look horrible. Must've been in the eighties.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Jerry Cotton posted:

I'm trying to think of the last time I saw an American printed cartoon artist draw a child that didn't look horrible. Must've been in the eighties.

There's a reason Marvel hired Gurihiru to do Power Pack.

Although I quite like how Valeria and Franklin were drawn in this issue of X-23 where she has to babysit them.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The above isn't the best example of Gleason's Jon Kent. This is more like it:

but the kid has several great artists working on him ATM.

I'd also have recommended that, the kid's own comic, but it's a brand new issue.

That tyke is the best thing about Rebirth.

Edit: Slott/Allred Silver Surfer, Unbeatable Squirrel Girl and Franco/Baltaizar Super Powers should also be good for 8yos.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Feb 17, 2017

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

My 9-yo daughter loves Ms. Marvel; it's fun and kid-friendly.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
For a big, but not uncritical, fan of Warren Ellis, how is The Wild Storm?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Uthor posted:

Well i havent read the previous stuff so i cant compare it but having just finished it a few minutes ago I'd say it was a pretty good introductory issue

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Uthor posted:

I dug it. It has started out fairly low-key, but there's a nice mix of corporate espionage, new tech, and good character work (yay Angie!). I'm looking forward to more.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

redbackground posted:

I dug it. It has started out fairly low-key, but there's a nice mix of corporate espionage, new tech, and good character work (yay Angie!). I'm looking forward to more.
I'm kinda regretting buying it because Ellis and delays, but the page where Angie decides to take action is fantastic.

funny way to spell
Nov 4, 2012
Is old school Power Man & Iron Fist good? I'm thinking about picking up the Epic Collections.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

funny way to spell posted:

Is old school Power Man & Iron Fist good? I'm thinking about picking up the Epic Collections.

It's goon in that all comics from that era are good?

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

funny way to spell posted:

Yeah they are fun. Grab the Iron Fist Epic Collection too, it's basically one long graphic novel.

funny way to spell
Nov 4, 2012

TheManWithNoName posted:

Yeah they are fun. Grab the Iron Fist Epic Collection too, it's basically one long graphic novel.

That was pretty much a blind buy for me when I saw that Claremont/Byrne headline most of the book.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Can you folks give me a couple recommendations please? I'm in the process of browsing around Marvel Unlimited and would appreciate some guidance towards any hidden gems that might be squirrelled away in marvel's back catalogue. I don't have anything specific in mind, as far as type of story, I just would like to not spend my time reading filler fluff/mediocre/poorly regarded comics. The sheer size of the library is daunting, and I figured those with more experience reading comics might be able to help me separate the wheat from the chaff.

Secondly, where should I start reading if I'm looking at getting into Daredevil? I think I read someone recommend Brubaker's run? I've gone back a little before that, and am reading my way through Bendis' stint (atm reading #77, Sept. 2005 publication), as I thought that might give me some of the back story before Brubaker took over. Am I at the right place to start off reading DD? Or should I read somewhere else in the DD series before coming back?

Ooooh, and in the same vein, where should I start reading, if I want to get into X-men comics? I haven't read a lot of x-books. I picked up the first issue of the adjectiveless X-men reboot in the early 90's on the advice of my home room teacher (It's a #1 issue, it's going to be worth quite a bit of money some day), and have enjoyed reading some Cable-centric comics (his stuff with Deadpool, and whatever the series was where he was running through time, raising Hope), but that's about the extent of my X-men reading so far.

Thanks in advance, again.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Read Rick Remender's Uncanny X-Force, Jason Aaron's Thor: God of Thunder and Tom King's The Vision (It has two issues still to come to MU, but start anyway!) .

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

http://www.comicbookherald.com/best-comics-on-marvel-digital-unlimited/

This helped me find a lot of good stuff on Marvel Unlimited when I first got it.

Specifically, I'd recommend Jenkins' Inhumans, Nextwave, Hawkeye, Priest's Black Panther, Jack Kirby's Devil Dinosaur and Eternals, Abnett's Guardians of the Galaxy, Runaways, and both volumes of Young Avengers

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Bendis then Brubaker is a good way to go with Daredevil. You'll also want to read Miller's run.

I'd suggest Whedon's Astonishing X-Men to start. It's a good beginner's guide to X-Men. The Uncanny X-Force mentioned about is also great.

Is Nextwave on Unlimited. Read Nextwave.

Simonson's Thor is a classic.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Teenage Fansub posted:

Read Rick Remender's Uncanny X-Force, Jason Aaron's Thor: God of Thunder and Tom King's The Vision (It has two issues still to come to MU, but start anyway!) .

Ha! I forgot I'd read Remender's Uncanny X-Force. I should have mentioned that. Very enjoyable indeed. Is Aaron's Thor: God of Thunder the series that lead up to Original Sin / Jane Foster taking up Mjolnir? That, or anything else written by Jason Aaron really should have been on my radar, as I've really enjoyed the Mighty Thor with Jane so far. The Vision series you mentioned: Is that the most recent one, where he synthesized a family, and they try to live a normal human existance? If so, I've read a couple issues, and have been enjoying it.
Are you the poster that wrote a few articles about Deadpool for a comic website? Something like a big list of little known Deadpool trivia, right around when the movie came out? If so: I appreciate (what I've read of) your writing very much.

Roth posted:

http://www.comicbookherald.com/best-comics-on-marvel-digital-unlimited/

This helped me find a lot of good stuff on Marvel Unlimited when I first got it.

Specifically, I'd recommend Jenkins' Inhumans, Nextwave, Hawkeye, Priest's Black Panther, Jack Kirby's Devil Dinosaur and Eternals, Abnett's Guardians of the Galaxy, Runaways, and both volumes of Young Avengers
I've seen that list, but it seemed to me to suffer from a lot of the same issue I have with just trying to browse through the library. It is still a little too broad for me. I (correctly) guessed goons would be able to drill down to specific awesomeness.
Nextwave and Abnett's GotG have already been checked off my reading list. Both are great recommendations. When Toxxupation (I think. Probably messed up the spelling) posted a big long reading list for cosmic books starting around Annihilation, running through war/relm of kings, I went ahead and just bought the whole shebang on comixology, only later discovering MU. :negative: Oh well, I will still have all those books available to read again, even if I drop the MU subscription.
Thanks for the recommendations. In particular, Black Panther is another character that has interested me, but I wasn't too sure where to start reading.

Uthor posted:

Bendis then Brubaker is a good way to go with Daredevil. You'll also want to read Miller's run.

I'd suggest Whedon's Astonishing X-Men to start. It's a good beginner's guide to X-Men. The Uncanny X-Force mentioned about is also great.

Is Nextwave on Unlimited. Read Nextwave.

Simonson's Thor is a classic.

Ooooooh. X-men intro reading and more Thor! Sweet. Thanks much.

Is Nextwave on Unlimited?

gently caress yeah it is!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

B33rChiller posted:

Are you the poster that wrote a few articles about Deadpool for a comic website? Something like a big list of little known Deadpool trivia, right around when the movie came out? If so: I appreciate (what I've read of) your writing very much.

Nope!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
On top of the other recommendations, I would add the first twelve issues of Dan Slott's She-Hulk, Charles Soule's She-Hulk, Spencer and Lieber's Superior Foes of Spider-Man, Warren Ellis' Moon Knight (only six issues), Ellis' Thunderbolts, and Bendis' New Avengers run that spanned from 2004-2010 and was the flagship book of the Marvel Universe that entire time, taking it through many of the major events.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Anything by Al Ewing is a good bet for recent stuff too.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

B33rChiller posted:

I think you're thinking of Gavok.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Oops. Thanks for the recommendations anyway.

Lurdiak posted:

I think you're thinking of Gavok.
Ah ok. Thank you.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

On top of the other recommendations, I would add the first twelve issues of Dan Slott's She-Hulk, Charles Soule's She-Hulk, Spencer and Lieber's Superior Foes of Spider-Man, Warren Ellis' Moon Knight (only six issues), Ellis' Thunderbolts, and Bendis' New Avengers run that spanned from 2004-2010 and was the flagship book of the Marvel Universe that entire time, taking it through many of the major events.
Thanks for these too.

Gaz-L posted:

Anything by Al Ewing is a good bet for recent stuff too.
Cheers

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

The 1975 Super Villain Team Up just went up on Unlimited is one of the most Dr Doomiest Dr Doom stories I have ever read and it's incredible.

Dr Doom laughing and saying "it was only a hologram!"

Dr Doom manipulating Namor into allying with him by letting the love of his life be murdered in front of him and then swooping in at the perfect moment and teleporting him away from his vengeance under the guise of healing him up

There's a scene where Doom, captured, out of suit power and essentially powerless, grabs two missiles from a nearby Atlantean cruiser and slams them together and stands there laughing in the flames, surrounded by corpses, with his robes and armor in tatters.

He then spitefully forces a jester to kill himself by doing the same without any armor, because earlier he dared to mock Doom.

Drink anytime Namor or Doom demands
of the other, "You dare!?"

e: Doom just negotiated a non-aggression agreement with the US Secretary of State (literally Henry Kissinger in this comic) while the Fantastic Four were fighting their way through his castle :drat:

Mover fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Feb 28, 2017

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

B33rChiller posted:

Can you folks give me a couple recommendations please? I'm in the process of browsing around Marvel Unlimited and would appreciate some guidance towards any hidden gems that might be squirrelled away in marvel's back catalogue. I don't have anything specific in mind, as far as type of story, I just would like to not spend my time reading filler fluff/mediocre/poorly regarded comics. The sheer size of the library is daunting, and I figured those with more experience reading comics might be able to help me separate the wheat from the chaff.

Secondly, where should I start reading if I'm looking at getting into Daredevil? I think I read someone recommend Brubaker's run? I've gone back a little before that, and am reading my way through Bendis' stint (atm reading #77, Sept. 2005 publication), as I thought that might give me some of the back story before Brubaker took over. Am I at the right place to start off reading DD? Or should I read somewhere else in the DD series before coming back?

Ooooh, and in the same vein, where should I start reading, if I want to get into X-men comics? I haven't read a lot of x-books. I picked up the first issue of the adjectiveless X-men reboot in the early 90's on the advice of my home room teacher (It's a #1 issue, it's going to be worth quite a bit of money some day), and have enjoyed reading some Cable-centric comics (his stuff with Deadpool, and whatever the series was where he was running through time, raising Hope), but that's about the extent of my X-men reading so far.

Thanks in advance, again.

Gillen's Journey into Mystery then Young Avengers.
If you like older stuff the original Lee/Kirby run on Fantastic Four is probably the greatest comics run in the Silver Age.
Namor: The Deep
Silver Surfer: Requiem
For X-Books Claremont's run on Uncanny and the Early New Mutants stuff is loving amazing.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.
So, Marvel Unlimited question: Is there something equivalent to a "Walt Simonson's Thor" for Dr. Strange that is like a must read run of the character?

I love the trippy early-early stuff, but I've only read a bit.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
X-books recommendation: I recommend X-Men Legacy by Spurrier, it's self-contained, conclusive, and really good. There's also X-23 by Marjorie Liu, though Bendis has sort of disregarded and ruined all of Laura's character development in that book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Schneider Heim posted:

There's also X-23 by Marjorie Liu, though Bendis has sort of disregarded and ruined all of Laura's character development in that book.

Tom Taylor pulled up quick to retrieve her.