Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Edna Mode posted:

I wonder if the tower will visible from any of the parks. I know they're usually pretty anal about the sightlines.

Taking a look at the parks on Google Maps, I'd say that riders on Everest will likely be the only ones able to see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
My holiday plans for this year have changed and instead of spending 2 days at the California parks, I'm ending up going to the Orlando ones instead for 5 days. We haven't finalised the itinerary yet so I have some questions to help us plan:

- Which of the Disney parks are absolutely worth it? Looking at the chatter and the attractions, we're considering dropping EPCOT and possibly one more.

-How are the crowds in early July? It's the only time we had available, but I've heard things get -packed- during the Summer months.

-We've heard incredibly mixed things about the food at the parks, and coming from a family of picky eaters we're wary of dropping any cash on food once in. Is there any recommendations of places to eat/places to avoid? Ditto for Universal.

-Speaking of Universal, we're likely only spending one day of the five there (depending on how many Disney parks we drop) and are debating getting tickets for both the main park and Islands of Adventure. Is it doable to get a fair bit of Universal done in a day?

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

SteelMentor posted:

- Which of the Disney parks are absolutely worth it? Looking at the chatter and the attractions, we're considering dropping EPCOT and possibly one more.

You can't go to Disney and not do Magic Kingdom. That park alone requires AT LEAST a full day to really enjoy, doubly so if you're going in the summer. Which brings us to your next question.

-How are the crowds in early July? It's the only time we had available, but I've heard things get -packed- during the Summer months.

Yeah, they're pretty bad. But with the Fast Pass+, you will get to enjoy a fair amount of the park without waiting in lines all day. However, July in Florida is kind of miserable weather-wise. When it's not raining, it's hot, but worse, it's HUMID AS gently caress. Please do everything in your power to stay hydrated and protected from the elements.

-We've heard incredibly mixed things about the food at the parks, and coming from a family of picky eaters we're wary of dropping any cash on food once in. Is there any recommendations of places to eat/places to avoid? Ditto for Universal.

Eh. The food ranges from terrible to really great and the best food isn't necessarily the most expensive either. EPCOT is my favorite park (it is definitely a more adult friendly than child friendly park) and a big part of it is the food. The World Showcase in EPCOT has restaurants, sometimes several, for each of the main countries, and they're all mostly great. You won't go hungry or hate your dining experience there. As far as Magic Kingdom, you should look at some of the travel sites and Yelp to see what might interest you. I don't know anything about Universal restaurants except they mostly suck, but City Walk which is attached to both Universal parks has some really good restaurants.

-Speaking of Universal, we're likely only spending one day of the five there (depending on how many Disney parks we drop) and are debating getting tickets for both the main park and Islands of Adventure. Is it doable to get a fair bit of Universal done in a day?

You can absolutely do BOTH Universal parks in a day if you spend all day there, even in July. You may not get to ride absolutely everything you want, and you may (definitely) be stuck waiting in some long lines, but neither park is anywhere nearly as dense as something like Magic Kingdom or EPCOT. I like Islands of Adventure a lot, but a lot of that is nostalgia at this point. Those parks (apart from the brand new Harry Potter areas) are really starting to show their age.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

SteelMentor posted:

I have never been disappointed in the food in the Harry Potter parts of Universal. Both Three Broomsticks and Leaky Cauldron have been quite tasty every time I have been.

If you are only at Universal for one or two days, I highly recommend the express pass upgrade to your tickets. You form a smaller line with other EP holders, and it works on every single attraction except a few in both parks (HP Forbidden Journey, HP Escape from Gringotts, Hogwarts Express spring to mind -- there may have been one or two others I forget). Some Universal properties include a free upgrade to EP for the tickets of anyone staying on-site, so it *may* be worth your time/money to change hotels. Or to book a room and never actually sleep there, simply showing up to check in and activate your express passes.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Braksgirl posted:

Is Coronado that popular that they need that many more rooms? Unless they're pushing the convention center aspect more.

I feel like its a way to increase resort room numbers without building a new resort, but I don't now how much money they save sine that looks like a modern self contained hotel. The idea of dining with views of all the fireworks shows is pretty interesting to me, though.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I have to think that at least part of the motivation is to allow them to play with pricing more. At the low end, there's a little bit of variety in pricing with AoA being a hint more expensive. The Deluxes obviously have a ton of variety. Then you have the 4 moderate resorts which are all within a dollar or two of each other. Throwing a tower up makes it completely justifiable to charge more (air conditioned hallways!) and i'm sure it helps with conventioneers that want to avoid Florida heat that much more.

quote:

Which of the Disney parks are absolutely worth it? Looking at the chatter and the attractions, we're considering dropping EPCOT and possibly one more.

What's the age composition of your family and what do they like? Hollywood Studios is a bit of a mess at the moment, so it's the easiest to ditch...but if your family likes Star Wars, it may be a must-do. Same if they like thrill rides, as Rock 'n' Roller Coaster and Tower of Terror are two of the best WDW has to offer.

If your family is very kid centric, then Epcot is probably skippable. Future World (the front half of the park) is badly in need of an overhaul, and the World Showcase is a bit wasted on a group of kids and picky eaters...unless your kids are obsessed with Frozen, in which case you may need to worry about doing Frozen Ever After.

Animal Kingdom is pretty much a must-see at this point. It's an absolutely beautiful park. And Magic Kingdom is pretty much non-negotiable unless you have kids who're in a 'I'm too old for Disney' phase. And even then, are you really going to hike all the way to the Florida swamps and not see Cinderella's Castle?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
We're an older family group, Mum Dad a teenager who's currently too cool for themeparks and a mid-twenties dork in me. Magic Kingdom is the only lock due to Dad's childhood dream of going there, Animal Kingdom sounds pretty sweet, when abouts is Avatar Land due to open?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Boxman posted:

And Magic Kingdom is pretty much non-negotiable unless you have kids who're in a 'I'm too old for Disney' phase.

If my kids did that, I'm pretty sure I would put them up for adoption. My fiancee and I have already decided that we want a family where the kids get to grow up with Disney.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Pandora is scheduled to open May 27.

If you're going to Universal for Harry Potter stuff, you must get the Park to Park option. You can't ride Hogwarts Express without it and it's a really cool attraction.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Tim Whatley posted:

Holy moly, a new town center and a 17 story 500 room addition to Coronado Springs, and new waterfront dining/shopping being added to Caribbean Beach.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...-beach-resorts/

chitoryu12 posted:

If my kids did that, I'm pretty sure I would put them up for adoption. My fiancee and I have already decided that we want a family where the kids get to grow up with Disney.

I had a really great conversation with my wife last night. I told her about the Caribbean Beach improvements and she was excited, she loved it when we stayed there. Then she said "won't it be great when our daughter gets older (she's 15 now) and we can go as just a couple again. Then when we have grandkids and can go with them." There was such joy in her voice it was great. Then the kicker "especially when we move down there and it'll be so easy to go to the parks." I've been working on her for a while now to get her used to the idea of moving to Florida once our daughter goes to college. Even though all our friends and family are here in NJ, the winters and cost of living are ridiculous. I think I've sold her on the concept of at least snow-birding it. It will be better for my career as well, many more opportunities for movement / promotion there than working remote from NJ.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm being serious when I say part of my ideal relationship is a trip to Disney because who says no to Disney aside from "Too Cool for School" teenagers?

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

BB8 is going to be at Star Wars Launch Bay at DHS this spring. I'm kind of stupidly excited about this.

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012

Braksgirl posted:

BB8 is going to be at Star Wars Launch Bay at DHS this spring. I'm kind of stupidly excited about this.

As a meetable character? If so, then so am I! :aaa: :sparkles:

Edit: I was phoneposting last night; today, I went and read the article. Yes, he is going to be a meetable character, in addition to Chewie and Kylo. Yay! Glad I saved my BB-8 Mickey-ear hat from last spring's trip. :)

PurpleButterfly fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Feb 20, 2017

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I never remember to bring shiny objects for the Jawas :(

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

If you're a pin trading idiot like I am, Disney revealed a bunch this morning here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7M9YThbwPxs

Including this magnificent one (screenshot)

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm getting those jungle cruise pixel art and pleasure island ones hell ya

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
One thing I've learned about those "mystery boxes" where you never know what you are going to get is that it results in some dumb kid off the leash opening them all to get the one he wants.

Though, gently caress me, I want those Jungle Cruise pins.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I saw the show tonight and was blown away. The water projections were incredible and the music was great.

I think the finale lacked something but it's hard to go out with a bang when you can't use fireworks. I'd put this show just behind Illuminations as my second favorite nighttime show.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Zero One posted:

I saw the show tonight and was blown away. The water projections were incredible and the music was great.

I think the finale lacked something but it's hard to go out with a bang when you can't use fireworks. I'd put this show just behind Illuminations as my second favorite nighttime show.

River of Light is like the Electric Water Pageant, Epcot's dancing water fountain, and the good parts of Fantasmic had an awesome but kind of short baby. I really liked it.

Speaking of Animal Kingdom, I thought Flights of Wonder was going to have a new format but Dr. Guano or whatever is still part of the show. (It's still great and I will still drag everyone I possibly can to it but I am really sick of the plot. The Safari finally ditched its plot why not this?) But there is a new bird show in Dinoland that's basically everything I've ever wished for. :dance:

Rahonavis fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Feb 23, 2017

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Rivers of Light felt really long when we previewed it, especially with that extended intro and the boats and everything. Definitely awesome though.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Rahonavis posted:

River of Light is like the Electric Water Pageant, Epcot's dancing water fountain, and the good parts of Fantasmic had an awesome but kind of short baby. I really liked it.

Speaking of Animal Kingdom, I thought Flights of Wonder was going to have a new format but Dr. Guano or whatever is still part of the show. (It's still great and I will still drag everyone I possibly can to it but I am really sick of the plot. The Safari finally ditched its plot why not this?) But there is a new bird show in Dinoland that's basically everything I've ever wished for. :dance:

Booo this man. Guano Joe is the best part of the show.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Zero One posted:

Booo this man. Guano Joe is the best part of the show.

I am no man! (I need a combo of :sparkles: and :black101: right now. I guess :boom: works.)

Anyway, more potentially bad opinions! New Soarin is going to take some time for me to warm to, but it finally ends in Illuminations instead of Disneyland and that's good enough for me. Frozen Ever After is nice. It sure as hell isn't an hour or more wait worth of nice, so I'm glad I decided to do it first thing in the morning; FP's are booked for my whole stay. I really love the Festival of Fantasy parade. I don't know about Disney Springs; the eastern third that hasn't changed much is still nice but the newer areas are kind of boring. Birdwatching there is still choice. :derptiel:

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Bullshit, that's last year's Fall collection!

I'm really glad Rivers of Light has started! I'm pretty lukewarm on fireworks but I really liked World of Color at DCA. Also being seated helps!

Also Animal Kingdom has all of the best shows. Festival of the Lion King, Flights of Wonder, and Finding Nemo are all fantastic.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Since i'm having the hardest of times finding it do any of you fellow cm's know the address of Cast connection thanks

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Empress Brosephine posted:

Since i'm having the hardest of times finding it do any of you fellow cm's know the address of Cast connection thanks

According to Google, Pest Control and Cast Connection are at 2340 Recycle Way, Bay Lake, FL 34787.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
cool thanks, don't know why I didn't think of google

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Its wayyyyyy out in the sticks by the Animal Kingdom area and I've been there and can't describe how the hell to get there.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
someone at work said "near coronado" so i'm just going to hope for the best; i heard there's a big tool sale this weekend so.

it's weird how theres like no info on the back website tho.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
So what are the best eats in Universal?

nbakyfan
Dec 19, 2005

someone at work said "near coronado" so i'm just going to hope for the best; i heard there's a big tool sale this weekend so.

it's weird how theres like no info on the back website tho.

Coming from world drive, get off and head towards Coronado. Turn right at the light that is after the main stop light of the Coronado. Continue until you come to your first traffic signal. Back stage DAK will be on your left. Turn right at this stop light. Before you get to the security arm (Bear island is restricted going towards MK), turn left into the recycle area/cast connections.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Scruff McGruff posted:

Cowfish is fantastic. Solid sushi and amazing burgers. The milkshakes at the new chocolate emporium are an insane experience as well. Highly recommended. These are both "outside" the parks but it's like a 5 min walk to either and way better than the quick service options.

Inside the parks the Harry Potter food is pretty good other than the shepards pie, it kinda sucked. The English breakfasts are awesome there.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

nbakyfan posted:

Coming from world drive, get off and head towards Coronado. Turn right at the light that is after the main stop light of the Coronado. Continue until you come to your first traffic signal. Back stage DAK will be on your left. Turn right at this stop light. Before you get to the security arm (Bear island is restricted going towards MK), turn left into the recycle area/cast connections.

Thanks man. I'm excited to go this weekend.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Scruff McGruff posted:

Bottom Liner is pretty much on the money. Inside the parks, the Harry Potter lands have the best food quality for the money (other eateries are about the same cost but nowhere near as good, and they're mostly generic American fare like burgers and spaghetti). If you want actual good food, head to CityWalk for places like Cowfish and Toothsome.

I'm kinda upset that they scan IDs at the employee commissaries now, or I'd just use my old team member ID to head backstage and get better food that isn't marked up over 2x.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Going to Universal tomorrow so also thanks for that info. It's been forever since I went to Universal and it was like early September, are wait times bad there?

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Scruff McGruff posted:

The mexican restaurant on Citywalk Antojitos is awesome.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Unmature posted:

The mexican restaurant on Citywalk Antojitos is awesome.

Get the guac and watch them make it fresh at your table, it's soooooooo good.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Going to Universal tomorrow so also thanks for that info. It's been forever since I went to Universal and it was like early September, are wait times bad there?

They're pretty spikey. Harry Potter will be most crowded at opening because everyone rushes, but Forbidden Journey and Gringotts both have single rider lines you can use to bypass that. Don't miss Transformers if you haven't been on it before, it's probably my favorite ride in Florida.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't like Harry Potter anyways so no worries. Love transformers tho.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
We did gringotts as soon as the park opened and it worked out ok, I think a lot of people plan to do that but get distracted by everything else along the way so we only had maybe a 10 minute wait. The ride was a ton of fun but it's short, I'd have been pretty pissed if I waited an hour plus for it, which is what the line was at about an hour after open. Transformers was great and never seemed to have a wait over 15 minutes. The dueling dragons is kind of funny because it's very obvious that it predates Harry Potter and just got a reskin. The Mummy ride was pretty good too but has some really outdated animatronics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How's the wait times on Kong? That's what I really want to do.