Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
Returning after a long hiatus. Couple quick questions:

1) Do outfits go on sale regularly? It seems like the featured/sale sections changes once a week but I'm not sure if I should hold off on the 5-6 pretty princess garbs I'm wanting or if I'm likely to be waiting a while. Also it seems like some are about to be rotated out so maybe I should wait till next week to see what might rotate in (none of the ones I want are listed as X days remaining).

2) Can anyone explain what the little lock icon is when trying to set the Eng grenade kits to 'auto-attack'? I never noticed them before and I know there was no auto-grenade throw but looking around this afternoon I noticed a little lock icon above the 1 skill and it didn't seem to do anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Magres posted:

Hammerguard

10/10 read, willing to give this a try if the stars line up and I'm around when there's a raid happening.

Even if I don't my charrdian is prettier* than before so still a net gain.

*offer not valid for all image formats

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

The lock icon on the circling autoattack arrows simply means that skill cannot be set to auto. In this case it's because the grenades are ground-targeted on every throw.

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO
I do the hammer guard thing in raids almost always and I don't use ascended gear. Eat poo poo Anet.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
If you have fast ground targeting you can autoattackgrenades by holding down mouse1 in action camera?

I may be talking out of my :butt: but I'm pretty sure they added something like this a little while ago. Made zerfing with grenades a lot more fun

Fuzzy Butt
Jan 8, 2009

(not a furry)

CLAM DOWN posted:

...do you think it would ever be possible to do a late evening weeknight raid? Like, a Thursday at 9-11pm Pacific?

I'll be your huckleberry, big boy. Wednesday and Thursday evenings are my only free times as well. I would love to do the content with you and other like minded goons/sfd, who want to experience them without the deep meters and LI checks. Granted that I'd like to actually win, but more importantly that we all have fun. Just need eight more buddies!

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Lonk posted:

I do the hammer guard thing in raids almost always and I don't use ascended gear. Eat poo poo Anet.

most of the characters i use in raids dont have ascended armor but nobody notices :devil:

Fuzzy Butt posted:

I'll be your huckleberry, big boy. Wednesday and Thursday evenings are my only free times as well. I would love to do the content with you and other like minded goons/sfd, who want to experience them without the deep meters and LI checks. Granted that I'd like to actually win, but more importantly that we all have fun. Just need eight more buddies!

i am probably around then? i am not sure when prime time is anymore, but when i get up in the morning there is usually lots of people on then evening they all log off (thanks timezonebama)

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fuzzy Butt posted:

im in

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

if anyone in sfd wants to try to do some random kiddie raids some nights then just yell about it in chat and if i'm not involved in something right then and there i can bring my newly cobbled together HAMMERGUARD to hopefully do some moderately optimal damage

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

PRO TIP lake doric new map

south of the first heart there is a place where you get training sword/shield. pick up the shield and set it on autoattack then go get a coffee or something, 5 minutes later the heart will be done

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

if I'm on when you guys are babyraiding let me know and I'll tag along

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
gently caress baby mode

raids need infantile mode

including clouds farting rainbows

knowonecanknow
Apr 19, 2009

Ambition must be made to counteract ambition.
All this raid talk is making me want to vomit.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm super stoked there's enough of my fellow casual players out there to possibly do a weeknight raid like that, because raiding makes me want to hurl too but after dreggon showed me the super cool story stuff last night I really would just like to see the content once. Let's tentatively say we'll do something 9-11pm Pacific next Thursday the 23rd, and see if we get enough? If not, it's fine, we'll put more effort into it haha, this is more of an interest check raid.

If you're not in SFD yet go join so it's super easy to yell for all of you then, also you get to hear our hilarious jokes that way.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

we should just make a raid of all hammer guardians.

mine is 71 i'm almost ready to go. no, there's no gear waiting for her at cap. why do you ask?

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
I'm in regular SFD raidsquad but hit me up if you need an extra to take up space and heal your asses with Druid!

edit: I also have a hammerDH

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Got this on a whim (free account for now) after getting WoW on a whim and not quite having been convinced by it, and... whoa? This is actually fun and good?

WoW was (is? still have 2 weeks left on the subscription) my fist MMORPG; I got it because a bunch of goon buddies play it and I thought it could be a social-ish thing of sorts: hop on WoW, get a Discord group going, space out while you shoot the poo poo with your group...

...but I didn't count on having to level my character to 100 to actually be able to join most of them; I thought it would be something like Diablo 3 where you can just carry someone through the low level stuff and just head for the endgame, but that doesn't apply here, and the solo gameplay is kind of abysmal.

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate it. The few times I've grouped up with people I've had a blast; but the rest of the time it feels like I'm drudging through hours and hours of boredom just for those few fun instances.

GW2 on the other hand, has been fun from the start. It feels great to play, looks fantastic (I loving love the world map), and while I've only grouped up once for like 15 minutes, I don't dread having to go through the game solo.

I'm still in the beginning Nordn area playing a Ranger, but if the game keeps being this good all the way to the endgame, I'll probably get HoT next time it goes on sale.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Tsurupettan posted:

we should just make a raid of all hammer guardians.

mine is 71 i'm almost ready to go. no, there's no gear waiting for her at cap. why do you ask?

Actually a legit as hell strategy, ive seen videos of people running mass hammerguards and they did fine

Only thing is that yall will also want/need a druid or two, a chrono or two, and a warrior or two. Depending on number of people who can play what classes, I'd probably run a Chrono, a Warrior, 6 Hammerguards, and two druids. Do 7-1-1-1 with the Guards and Warrior all in one subgroup, and the others each in their own subgroups. Hell, you could probably get away with 1 Druid and run 8-1-1 and be fine, Guards hand out enough Fury/Quickness/Might that 7 of them will smooth out the problems you'd normally run into running 8 people in one group, and with that many healing symbols on the ground I think you'd be fine with one healer.

Thinking across all the fights, the only things I'd really worry about are the points where you must have ranged DPS, but that's what a Scepter/Torch offset is for I suppose. Several bosses spawn objects that need to die but that you really don't want to walk next to because they project fields of nasty crap around them

Magres fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Feb 17, 2017

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

how does boon sharing work in raids with 10 people since boons only hit 5? if you break people into 5 man subgroups does it prioritize subgroup -> raid group (if not enough subgroup in range)?

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

This was the new (or very close to) world record speed kill at the time for Keep Construct. They were the first to use a ball strategy that wasn't just one person autoattacking to great effect. The DPS all played hammer guardian and used the same music because lol

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/4s5lvl/sc_keep_construct_guardway/

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Tsurupettan posted:

how does boon sharing work in raids with 10 people since boons only hit 5? if you break people into 5 man subgroups does it prioritize subgroup -> raid group (if not enough subgroup in range)?

Yeah that's exactly how it works afaik

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Tsurupettan posted:

Yes. Full breakdown:
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Boon#Boon_distribution_priority

Subject to change next balance patch

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
You know, I've never been a fan of high upkeep runes like scholars. I'm not perfect and I'd doubt I can upkeep 90% health all that often honestly.

I'd switch my guardian to flame legion, but she already has scholars and those are expensive so RIP.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Yeah there's really something to be said about the size of the world. I think it might be the largest of any mmo, i played for months and months and I think I got something dumb like 30% world completion. And I remember tons of interesting locations and the jumping puzzles, it wasn't just huge amounts of nothing. I found the silverwastes JP entirely by accident last time I played and it just floored me.

I imagine it's literally hell on characters after your first to attain 100% world completion but drat this game is good about exploration.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Jinh posted:

I imagine it's literally hell on characters after your first to attain 100% world completion but drat this game is good about exploration.

Nah, I love GW2's world. My next big project is to do 100% on another alt, haven't decided which one yet though.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I have a druid and zerker so if anyone gives me a crash course on what keys I need to headbutt I can heal or smash.

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
you better heed his Quall

Alteisen posted:

I have a druid and zerker so if anyone gives me a crash course on what keys I need to headbutt I can heal or smash.

How to do warrior in a raid:

1) take phalanx strength
2) hit things with big sword

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

check out my Youtube posted:

How to do warrior in a raid:

1) take phalanx strength
2) hit things with big sword

that sounds SUPER complicated but I think I can do that

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
The Warrior rotation is pretty straightforward to play well. Basically your skill priority is as follows:

Berserk > F1 > Greatsword 2 > Greatsword 3 > Greatsword 4 > Auto attacks

What this means in terms of an exact skill rotation is that your rotation inside of Berserk looks like this:

Berserk
F1
Greatsword 2
F1
Greatsword 3
Greatsword 4
Dodge into the boss (you gain a significant damage bonus when your Endurance isn't full)
Autoattack until Adrenaline is full
F1
Greatsword 2
F1
Blood Reckoning
F1

The hardest part of it is doing GS3, GS4, dodge, autos quickly because you have to GS3 through the boss and whip your camera around while spinning, quickly re-orient to what's going on, GS4, then dodge appropriately to get back to the raid blob of people. Honestly, if the GS3 GS4 dodge combo is giving you trouble, feel free to drop it from the rotation, after the second F1 just auto until either GS2 comes up or F1 comes up (whichever comes first) then pop that ability and proceed from there - if F1 comes up first, hunky dory just proceed into F1, GS2, F1, Heal, F1. If GS2 comes up, just eat the loss of an F1 and GS2 then F1, heal, F1.

Outside of berserk, use everything but GS5 as it comes off cooldown and dodge roll every time you GS3 (it makes things roughly line up for your Endurance trait). When you need breaks, Headbutt whatever needs breaking. If you really need more breaks, weapon swap and unberserked Mace F1, then Mace 3 and Shield 4. Also make sure to use banners on cooldown.

Food/utility wise, run superior sharpening stones and golden dumplings (technically truffle steak with strength runes is more optimal DPS, but I highly prefer the sturdiness of the Golden Dumpling + Strength Rune setup, it makes it very easy to keep Might up during chaotic situations, and your #1 job is to keep the group at 25 Might).

Voila, you can play Warrior. The absolute hardest part about Warrior is making sure you position correctly for GS2 - don't animation lock yourself inside of something nasty that will plaster you, and don't GS2 in such a way that the boss leaves the cone AOE of the attack (I think it's a cone, not sure) after a quarter second. If you can do that, you're golden. If you can't do GS3/GS4/dodge during berserk don't worry about it too much, it's like a 10% DPS loss at worst and if you just poo poo out F1s and GS2s your damage is probably fine anyway, and your Might certainly will be.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Druid, honestly doesn't really have a rotation for most situations, so the biggest things are:

Use Glyph of Empowerment outside of Avatar on cooldown, always.
Keep Frost+Stone Spirits out (actually for HAMMERTIME comp you'll want to drop Stone Spirit in favor of Glyph of Alignment or Tides, depending on the fight)
Run Nature Spirit Elite, fart it out and sacrifice it immediately if poo poo hits the fan and 3+ people are down
Use Avatar on cooldown unless you have a very specific reason not to (notably, leading up to Gorseval tantrum phase you don't want to pop it and lock yourself into a bad situation wrt Celestial Force and CA cooldown)
Run Tiger and press F2 on cooldown always (I hit it every time I go into Avatar and that works well enough)
When you go into Avatar, generally cast 4, 3, 2, 4 then either spam some 2s around until 3/4 come up or drop a 2 and exit Avatar immediately (the 2 will pop and heal people after you leave avatar, giving you some Celestial Force)
Glyphs drop an Avatar 2 at your feet, so all glyphs are healing glyphs and healing glyph is a double heal. Also all glyphs drop Avatar 2
Wiggle when healing people so you smear your heals around better, GW2 healing has goddamned stupid prioritization and targets by distance rather than giving heals to the most hurt people. It's incredibly frustrating.
Staff 5 is a Water Field, Staff 3 is a Blast Finisher. You know what to do.

Your two biggest goals are one, to keep everyone alive, and two, to push as many stacks of Grace Of The Land as possible. GOTL procs off any time an Avatar ability heals anyone, so when you drop glyphs and fart out Avatar 2s it applies GOTL. It is also highly conducive to both of these goals if everyone stacks on top of you as tightly as possible.

The closest you really come to a rotation is popping into Avatar, farting out heals with 43242222, then leaving avatar and popping Empowerment glyph, then smashing Staff 123 as needed and pressing your other Glyphs as GOTL stacks start to fall off until Avatar comes back up and you do it all over again. Getting Celestial Force can be hard if people aren't getting hit, and you're extremely sturdy in Magi's gear, so it can actually be a good idea to step in front of the boss over to the tank and to let the boss cleave you a few times so you can heal yourself for some extra Celestial Force. It's very weird.

Druid is a hard class to teach and mostly just takes time and practice to get the hang of, but if you have any specific questions past what I've word vomited I'll do my best to help answer them.

Sprite141 posted:

You know, I've never been a fan of high upkeep runes like scholars. I'm not perfect and I'd doubt I can upkeep 90% health all that often honestly.

I'd switch my guardian to flame legion, but she already has scholars and those are expensive so RIP.

Based on the times I've looked at our arcdps logs, you're fine running Scholars. Our whole raid has like 90%+ Scholars uptime generally unless poo poo is really hitting the fan. People don't drop to 50% HP then sit there forever unless all hell is breaking loose and the Druids are putting out fires elsewhere. Part of having a good Grace uptime as a Druid is that you are spraying heals at everyone literally nonstop because heals are how you apply Grace, so people get hit by something and are back up to full HP in like 5 seconds or less, generally speaking, because the Druids were already planning to be healing them anyway to apply Grace.

Magres fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Feb 17, 2017

Axialbloom
Jul 7, 2011

My life is a series of
lapses in judgement.
Balance patch Feb 22

Hold onto your butts

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Edmond Dantes posted:

GW2 on the other hand, has been fun from the start. It feels great to play, looks fantastic (I loving love the world map), and while I've only grouped up once for like 15 minutes, I don't dread having to go through the game solo.

I'm still in the beginning Nordn area playing a Ranger, but if the game keeps being this good all the way to the endgame, I'll probably get HoT next time it goes on sale.

The phase you are on is IMO the best of the game. The leveling, core map areas, quests, personal story, learning the game mechanics .. it's very, very good. It's the end game and Living world/story that's very, very hit and miss. Enjoy your ride.

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

Poniard posted:

blast from the past

This is a nice post! I'm the thief in the lower right with a hoodie.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/info/news/Ascended-Vending-Changes

quote:

With the next release we will be making some changes to ascended vending in PvP and Fractals. Over the past year we introduced ways to obtain ascended gear via participation in either game mode thus allowing players to acquire gear by playing the game mode they chose. We implemented these vendors in a way that made sense for their perspective player base at the time. With the next release we are making two significant changes to these vendors to create one system that functions the same regardless of game mode.

First, each game mode will still use a specific currency unique to that mode as part of the price but the rest of the costs associated with purchasing the gear will be the same across the game modes. Having a unified system for acquiring ascended gear via vendors will give us more flexibility for adjustments, if they are needed, and it will give us the flexibility to potentially introduce this system in other game modes where appropriate.

Second, purchasing the ascended gear will now rely much more on player crafting. The cost for a piece of gear will now include a crafted token which shows a player’s mastery of the appropriate crafting discipline, the game mode specific currency, and raw gold. Ascended crafting is vital to sustaining a healthy economy and it is important that we keep that in place even when a player acquires ascended items via a vendor. For PvP, this will add a considerable cost to the acquisition of ascended gear. Please note that you will be able to buy gear with current prices until the update is live.

Ascended vending is not intended to be the optimal path for acquiring ascended gear, but rather a way for players to acquire the gear through time spent playing their preferred game mode. And while ascended vending now requires max level crafting, players that obtain ascended gear via vending will see a moderate discount in cost over traditional crafting.

TL;DR - Vendor ascended gear will now be game mode currency + gold + 500 skill crafted item. Buying vendor ascended should be cheaper than crafting it, but you need to be 500 in that piece of gear's crafting discipline.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

GI_Clutch posted:

TL;DR - Vendor ascended gear will now be game mode currency + gold + 500 skill crafted item. Buying vendor ascended should be cheaper than crafting it, but you need to be 500 in that piece of gear's crafting discipline.

So more stupid poo poo that does nothing other than benefit the spergs.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

GI_Clutch posted:

Sounds like it's time to grab my last piece of light ascended before poo poo gets hosed.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

okay, my guardian is 80, it's super rad to play and I'm looking forward to continuing with it and gearing it up. i also discovered the shatterer today and that was really fun! i even stumbled into some SUPER COORDINATED group that did Smash the Dragon. :toot:

but i want to continue my 'get one of everything to 80' journey. i think i'm going to level mesmer or necro next but i can't decide. please pick for me, goons. :ohdear:

also I've literally never done a dungeon yet so i should probably try one of those, huh?

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Jinh posted:

Yeah there's really something to be said about the size of the world. I think it might be the largest of any mmo, i played for months and months and I think I got something dumb like 30% world completion. And I remember tons of interesting locations and the jumping puzzles, it wasn't just huge amounts of nothing. I found the silverwastes JP entirely by accident last time I played and it just floored me.

I love that it scratches that "ooooooh, what's over there?" itch really well (zone levels notwithstanding).

TeaJay posted:

The phase you are on is IMO the best of the game. The leveling, core map areas, quests, personal story, learning the game mechanics .. it's very, very good. It's the end game and Living world/story that's very, very hit and miss. Enjoy your ride.
And I'm fine with that, really. Even if I lose interest after hitting endgame, if it manages to maintain this level of fun up to that point I'll be more than happy.

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

Alteisen posted:

So more stupid poo poo that does nothing other than benefit the spergs.

It will also raise the value of mats used in ascended gear crafting, which is great for people who don't care about ascended gear who like to sell crap from salvaging while playing normally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

Tsurupettan posted:

okay, my guardian is 80, it's super rad to play and I'm looking forward to continuing with it and gearing it up. i also discovered the shatterer today and that was really fun! i even stumbled into some SUPER COORDINATED group that did Smash the Dragon. :toot:

but i want to continue my 'get one of everything to 80' journey. i think i'm going to level mesmer or necro next but i can't decide. please pick for me, goons. :ohdear:

also I've literally never done a dungeon yet so i should probably try one of those, huh?

Mesmer is a class that's great, but the leveling for it will be rough, as it peaks right at 80, nowhere before.

Necro will probably be easier for you to level next, but that's a matter of opinion, honestly.

• Locked thread