Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

smackfu posted:

I think for corporate programming jobs, it comes from wanting a unix-like system plus needing something that can run Office and Outlook. A Mac is the preferred option in that case.

If I did not need to run Office, I could do everything in my job with a basic Linux box. (Docker would probably run better too.)

Linux Subsystem for Windows is Shaggar-approved now.

But seriously, though, Cygwin has scratched my *nix itch just fine for a long time and LSfW is basically that but actually supported. I had to drive a Mac for a month at work last year and, yeah, the console is much nicer, but there are ways to get a better console experience on Windows and it doesn't have the drawbacks around having old conflicting binaries lying around like OSX does. IDK if that's a big issue, but people post about it affecting them occasionally, so I get that impression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Thanks for the quick replies guys! Yeah, it looks like a lot of the things I was reading from were very UNIX-focused - and I was originally looking at iPhone stuff, figuring it would be the way to go to test the waters a bit when I'd learned the basics. A few places were saying that starting on a Mac would be easier just because the vast majority of tutorial stuff was written with them in mind, and that using a PC might add another layer of confusion when you are starting out and run into small differences.

Glad to hear that it's not a requirement for general coding! Sorry for the extremely dumb question, I basically know absolutely nothing about the subject yet and a lot of the terminology is kinda over my head.

RUM HAM
Sep 25, 2009

Currently taking CS50x through LaunchCode. Any of you guys have recommendations on good supplemental material to stay ahead of the curve after I finish my psets for the week?

I was messing with MIT6.00.1x on edX, but it's a little too much coursework to juggle with a class that I have to physically attend 3x a week right now and a full-time job. I think I'll revisit that one as it seems to cover Python and some data science really nicely.

After the CS50x portion of LaunchCode is over, we get to choose a 6 week intensive track (TBA). I think last year was the choice of C++ or JavaScript.

CS50x itself is mostly done in C with some PHP, HTML, CSS, and JavaScript tossed in towards the end.

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh great, another bookah.
If you've only ever used Windows, then coding on Windows will be much easier, but you should definitely keep in mind that all kinds of dev-related tasks can be much easier and faster to do on a Linux OS (and maybe even on Mac OS) if you know how to do them.

My current job forces me to use Lync and Outlook and all that crap. Also, the VPN client we're supposed use only works on Windows. I think this is completely insane, considering over half the employees are devs, but whatever.
My solution was to turn my domain-joined Windows install into a VM, which I run on my dev machine with a more useful OS. I just use ssh port forwarding to access VPN-only resources on the host OS.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I had a second interview last Wednesday. My interviewer said he'd get me an offer "in a couple days" and now it's been close to a week. Should I write him a little message or keep waiting?

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

rt4 posted:

I had a second interview last Wednesday. My interviewer said he'd get me an offer "in a couple days" and now it's been close to a week. Should I write him a little message or keep waiting?

I would

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Now I have a half-formed offer in hand. One of the things it includes is options for 300 company shares, vesting over 4 years.

Am I just ignorant of how this works or do I need more information to understand the significance of it?

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I got referred for a position at a rather respectable company and just finished their coding exercise. It was an awesome challenge which was a good example of the kind of work I'd be doing and I managed to complete it in the given time, even though they suggested 1-2 hours and it took me 2 hours and 50 minutes. The overall goal was to get some data, modify and analyze it, and posts it back. Since I'm self taught, I've never really had a need to work with get/post before and I think that shows in my code. I have a chance to clean up my code, add comments, etc. and then I can submit it again. Should I elaborate on my lack of understanding and that's why my code is sloppy or just let the code speak for me?

Thanks so much for your feedback. I'll have some questions later but wanted to get to this issue first.

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender

rt4 posted:

Now I have a half-formed offer in hand. One of the things it includes is options for 300 company shares, vesting over 4 years.

Am I just ignorant of how this works or do I need more information to understand the significance of it?

If the company is public, just consider this 300 * avg share price / 4 added to your salary. If it's not, consider it 300 lottery tickets.

edit: vv what he said. I was thinking RSUs, not options.

Illusive Fuck Man fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Feb 7, 2017

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

Illusive gently caress Man posted:

If the company is public, just consider this 300 * avg share price / 4 added to your salary. If it's not, consider it 300 lottery tickets.

If public, they're probably options at the current buy price. so 300 * (the amount of increase in value of shares) / 4

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

huhu posted:

Should I elaborate on my lack of understanding and that's why my code is sloppy or just let the code speak for me?

In general I would avoid enumerating any of your flaws to a potential employer, or anybody else, for that matter. I can't imagine they need your help coming to the conclusion you might be unsuited to the position, and your own perception of your ability can be vastly skewed from the perception of others.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

rt4 posted:

If it's not a public company, the number 300 is completely meaningless without also knowing how many total outstanding shares there are. If they won't tell you, you don't want to work for them.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

My wife got an offer and accepted on Sunday. Manager told her the official offer letter would come on Monday. On Monday they called to tell her there's a hiring freeze and they can't extend the offer any longer. This EXACT same thing happened to me last month with a different company. Is this common practice in the industry or are we just spectacularly unlucky?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

dantheman650 posted:

My wife got an offer and accepted on Sunday. Manager told her the official offer letter would come on Monday. On Monday they called to tell her there's a hiring freeze and they can't extend the offer any longer. This EXACT same thing happened to me last month with a different company. Is this common practice in the industry or are we just spectacularly unlucky?

Are you both trying to work for government contractors?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

dantheman650 posted:

Make sure to post a Glassdoor review. Unless it's Trump related, they can't really help that one...

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Munkeymon posted:

Are you both trying to work for government contractors?

Nope. Regular old startups.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

dantheman650 posted:

Nope. Regular old startups.

Perhaps a blessing in disguise that you dodged a terrible startup that can't look more than a few weeks into the future, is going with the lowest bidder for the job, or something else equally dumb.

However, I had an established company offer me a position, refuse to negotiate, take the offer away, then make a better offer.

Looking back, I'm realizing that company definitely didn't know what the future held for them.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

Monohydrate posted:

Currently taking CS50x through LaunchCode. Any of you guys have recommendations on good supplemental material to stay ahead of the curve after I finish my psets for the week?

I was messing with MIT6.00.1x on edX, but it's a little too much coursework to juggle with a class that I have to physically attend 3x a week right now and a full-time job. I think I'll revisit that one as it seems to cover Python and some data science really nicely.

After the CS50x portion of LaunchCode is over, we get to choose a 6 week intensive track (TBA). I think last year was the choice of C++ or JavaScript.

CS50x itself is mostly done in C with some PHP, HTML, CSS, and JavaScript tossed in towards the end.

I did CS50x with no programming experience late last year and C for Absolute Beginners is a great book. That book, combined with the video shorts and sections, will teach you enough to get you through psets 1-4 without much trouble. You really don't need to watch the main lectures if you are really pressed for time, since the sections and shorts are where they really dig into what was briefly mentioned during the lecture.

The data structure problem set is really, really hard. I watched their videos and took copious notes, and thought I understood it, but couldn't get it at all. I ended up skipping that pset and the next one and moving on to the web development psets which are easy and fun. I hope to revisit the course and give the data structure and server psets a try again, or maybe sign up for the MIT6.00.

Good luck!

grenada fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Feb 8, 2017

RUM HAM
Sep 25, 2009

laxbro posted:

I did CS50x with no programming experience late last year and C for Absolute Beginners is a great book. That book, combined with the video shorts and sections, will teach you enough to get you through psets 1-4 without much trouble. You really don't need to watch the main lectures if you are really pressed for time, since the sections and shorts are where they really dig into what was briefly mentioned during the lecture.

The data structure problem set is really, really hard. I watched their videos and took copious notes, and thought I understood it, but couldn't get it at all. I ended up skipping that pset and the next one and moving on to the web development psets which are easy and fun. I hope to revisit the course and give the data structure and server psets a try again, or maybe sign up for the MIT6.00.

Good luck!

I actually just went and bought both the recommended C books - Absolute Beginner's and Programming in C for additional references.

I kinda don't like that they have you use <cs50.h> library for stuff. It feels like a crutch that I will have to train myself out of using later on.

About to get cracking on pset3 once I read up on what I'm supposed to do.

I hear pset4 drives a bunch of people nuts?

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Don't worry, they eventually make you stop using cs50.h and show you exactly what's happening under the hood.

Pset4 was definitely the hardest one for me (currently on 8). If you get stuck, I recommend going through the staff solution and running their output through the initial program (I think it's called copy.c) with the debugger to see if the metadata you're producing is matching up with what's supposed to be happening. It's a hard pset, but definitely not impossible.

reversefungi fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Feb 9, 2017

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Does anyone here have any experience with Outreachy? It looks like a really great way to transition out of the newbie-learning mode into building a portfolio with some solid contributions, while also making a positive impact in the open source world. I'm finishing up CS50, which has been the majority of my programming experience (aside from some audio programming courses in university with Max/MSP) and I'm thinking this could be a great bridge into having something to show to employers later in the year, while also improving my skills?

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Is there a rule of thumb about how much you can conceivably put fourth when countering an initial offer?

I was offered $56k as a new grad who would be moving to Houston from Austin, which seems incredibly low but isn't entirely unexpected in light of how lax the interviewing process was. Trying to get that bumped up to something that would make it worthwhile for my fiance and I, say 40% more, seems nearly impossible when starting that low.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Smugworth posted:

Is there a rule of thumb about how much you can conceivably put fourth when countering an initial offer?

I was offered $56k as a new grad who would be moving to Houston from Austin, which seems incredibly low but isn't entirely unexpected in light of how lax the interviewing process was. Trying to get that bumped up to something that would make it worthwhile for my fiance and I, say 40% more, seems nearly impossible when starting that low.

What industry and language is that in? That doesn't sound that low for an entry or lower-level coding position.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Smugworth posted:

That doesn't seem low at all based on some CoL estimates. When people are throwing salaries of 6 figures for new developers, they're talking about incredibly expensive cities on the coasts.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

What industry and language is that in? That doesn't sound that low for an entry or lower-level coding position.

C programming for a parallel file storage system at a ginormous corp. Maybe you guys are right, but even one of the companies that just wants warm bodies in San Antonio offers $60-65K.

Smugworth fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Feb 16, 2017

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Smugworth posted:

C programming for a parallel file storage system at a ginormous corp. Maybe you guys are right, but even one of the companies that just wants warm bodies in San Antonio offers $60-65K.

They might be slightly lowballing you, but 60-70k seems pretty reasonable for major cities in Texas based on what I'm seeing, with some fluctuations based on location. Do some poking around on Glassdoor and the like, see what entry-level developer positions pay in those regions, and look at cost of living.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

They might be slightly lowballing you, but 60-70k seems pretty reasonable for major cities in Texas based on what I'm seeing, with some fluctuations based on location. Do some poking around on Glassdoor and the like, see what entry-level developer positions pay in those regions, and look at cost of living.
Which would work if entry level positions didn't feel few and far between here in Austin, unfortunately.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

I was involved in interviewing entry level web devs at my last place. We normally offered around 55k~. Had a couple of people counter offer something like 75k. We met them at around 60-65k because we liked them a lot in the interview.

I imagine the worst they can say is "We're only budgeted for 55k, sorry" but I don't have any experience with counter negotiations on the other side of the table. Be curious to see what other people's experience are.

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010
Anyone have any experience with the Google intern team matching process? Going on three weeks in it now (after I passed my main interview) and have only had interest from one team that didn't end up taking me, despite what I feel is a pretty solid resume/questionnaire.

Do people normally get responses this late in the process, or am I pretty screwed by this point?

Frolic
Oct 21, 2005

Smugworth posted:

FWIW when I was looking at new grad jobs ~18 months ago my offers in Houston were between 65-75k in Houston and from the people I know that seemed common minus a few outliers.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
My God this conversation is making me want to move out of Philly.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Grump posted:

My God this conversation is making me want to move out of Philly.

Why?

The Philly area is actually pretty decent for s/w devs. I find the salaries to be slightly less than Boston or DC, but Philly is way cheaper than either of those two. A senior dev should easily be able to pull $100-130K depending on domain expertise and framework/stack. That coupled with housing prices that are not cheap, but less than other cities (Zillow says Philly ranks 10th in most expensive.)

Though I'm not a huge fan of the city itself, the suburbs have tons of jobs and many beautiful areas. Of course, there are ultra-pricey areas (Main Line), but also decent towns where a nice 2000sq/ft house will run you 350-400K.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
I just applied to a job that wanted me to write a poem. A loving poem about my job experience.

I'm actually bewildered. Why? What? How?

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

TheCog posted:

I just applied to a job that wanted me to write a poem. A loving poem about my job experience.

I went to apply for a dev job at Vitamin Shoppe earlier today and it asked me to describe my commitment to health and fitness. As a true goon I just cancelled the application.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
Someone told me that they applied for a job at Mastercard - not as a dev, but some sort of tech position - and they literally asked him in the interview to take his wallet out and show them his Mastercard. He said sorry, I actually only have a Visa card right now, and they told him they were not going to hire him because he wouldn't be committed to what they were trying to accomplish.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Doghouse posted:

Someone told me that they applied for a job at Mastercard - not as a dev, but some sort of tech position - and they literally asked him in the interview to take his wallet out and show them his Mastercard. He said sorry, I actually only have a Visa card right now, and they told him they were not going to hire him because he wouldn't be committed to what they were trying to accomplish.
Blizzard is pretty big on hiring people who like Blizzard stuff. I'm not sure it's a deal-breaker if you don't, but they really like to see familiarity and even passion for their products before they hire you.

Some folks I know just bullshit it.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

TheCog posted:

Roses are red
Violets are blue
Thanks for your time
OK, we're through

Somebody thinks it's important to try to measure creativity by how an applicant fills out their form. They have romantic ideas about ~poets~ being creative souls and don't understand that the mechanics of writing a passable poem are just a learned skill.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
My current workplace is in the process of hiring a ton of devs for an office in Bangalore or whatever and this is the second interview where the candidate was just lipsyncing while someone else off camera answered questions. :laffo:

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Making applicants write a poem is probably a decent way to weed out sperglords.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Doghouse posted:

"What are you trying to accomplish?"

"We're trying to find a way to differentiate ourselves from Visa."