Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Powershift posted:

at 1/4 tank i still have around 400 miles range. ford fuel gauges are fucky to keep fuel in the tank to cool the pump, i guess mine's just a little extra fucky.

Jesus, I don't think I have that with a full tank.

That could explain why there's such a variance in opinions in this thread -- gas tanks are different sizes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Who lets it get below 1/4 :psyduck:?!

You all are loving INSANE.

Why leave yourself unprepared in that manner?

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

I carry 2.5 gallons in a jerry can at all times and like I said, a tank only lasts two commutes even if I let it go all the way till the low fuel light comes on. AKA, each half of my commute is 4 gallons. Filling up every day gets really old, and if I fill up on 1.5-commutes, I end up paying ~10% more for fuel. If I fill up anywhere along the route at a reststop on the toll highway, it's even worse. Soooo it gets run down to the last half gallon pretty regularly.

Enjoy 5 minutes and change of random commute clips from the last few weeks:
- first clip, an idiot decides to swerve into my lane abruptly just as I'm passing them, for no reason - lane in front of them is empty. I beep and they swerve erratically and then dive into the emergency lane. :wtf:
- second clip, just as a MassDOT emergency van merges in behind me, we see a huge cloud of smoke and a ton of brake lights up ahead. Based on the skidmarks left behind, someone in the left lane in a silver sedan decided to move right without checking their blindspot, and ended up meeting the left end of a semi truck bumper and getting punted into the woods. I stopped to move debris off the road since traffic was at a standstill anyways. I initially thought it was an airbrake line failure till I saw the other car in the woods with the driver standing next to it on her phone. Right after it happened I thought it was caused by someone swerving to avoid a toy in the road, but the skidmarks indicate otherwise.
- third clip, a toyota pickup randomly decides my lane is his for no reason
- fourth clip, on a 2-1 entrance ramp zipper merge, I look over my shoulder and it's clear so I move over, just then I see (garbage chinese HID conversion) headlights rapidly approaching and their owner honks at me. Apparently he thought he could pass me even though the lane was narrowing and my rear bumper had been 10+ feet ahead of his front bumper when I checked my blind spot?
- fifth clip, I have a green light, someone comes flying through a right on red without stopping, slides from the rightmost lane to the left lane as they corner, and then half assedly signals the turn they already finished.
- sixth clip, I'm slowly passing someone on the right (simply because I was already in that lane and it was open) and someone decides they absolutely need to be in front of me without much thought.
- seventh, a truly stellar parking job right in the middle of main street and a business parking lot entrance
- eighth, a nissan minivan brakes hard for a red light and all the snow they failed to clear from their roof cascades majestically across their windshield :duckhunt:
- ninth, a red honda decides my lane is his without bothering to check if I'm there
- tenth, a white hyundai flies past me at 50+ on surface streets multiple times, apparently he likes to race light to light, and then blows right through a red light
fin.
(warning: I beep at dumbasses. If horns offend you, please do not watch. Video is still uploading+processing)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqpqg5oP7tU

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

Powershift posted:

at 1/4 tank i still have around 400 miles range. ford fuel gauges are fucky to keep fuel in the tank to cool the pump, i guess mine's just a little extra fucky.

Is this some kind of vehicle that has a 1600 mile range tank or is the gauge really that hosed up?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I drive a diesel car, 1/4 tank and I've still got 200 miles to go before empty :smug:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Hey let's talk about massholes instead of this weird quarter tank derail.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Vanagoon posted:

Is this some kind of vehicle that has a 1600 mile range tank or is the gauge really that hosed up?

140 liter tank, every 1/4 of a tank is 25 liters, there's 40 liters below empty. Every ford pickup of the era i've had did the same, so 65 liters of the total 140 liter capacity is under the 1/4 tank mark.

My maximum theoretical range would be about 870 miles at 60mph.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Adiabatic posted:

Hey let's talk about massholes instead of this weird quarter tank derail.

Well speaking as a masshole, I saw some idiot on 495 tonight with no lights on at about 7:30 pm. It was completely dark out. Traffic was a little heavy and I guess they were relying on the fact that everyone else had their lights on, but this guy was running totally dark, not even DRLs or anything. I slid in behind him and flashed him and gave him a couple little honks, but he didn't do poo poo, just kept cruising dark.

Also had a couple people get mad about me passing them on the right when they were hogging the left lane doing 70, but that's just par for the course. I used to flash them and try to get them to move over but I've given up on that, I'll just blow by them on the right if there's room now. Half the time when I flash someone they'll just ignore me or even slow down, like they're going to punish me for daring to want to drive faster than them. The other half they move over and speed up at the same time, as if to say "Oh well you obviously didn't actually want to go any faster than me did you? Now that I've gone from 70 to 85."

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Feb 17, 2017

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Speaking of left-lane folk, I had a prius going 5 under in the left lane on an interstate this morning. He sat there for a good 10 minutes while people are angrily and somewhat violently undertaking him, then he puts on his blinker and swerves into the middle, then left lane, cutting a few people off in the rolling traffic jam he had created.

Thought he had finally figured it out. Nope, his exit was in 1/4 mile.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
This commute is turning me into a savage, I usually just blow by them and lay on the horn as I pull even, so they don't have a chance to rage out and cockblock me because I'm already passing them. About 25% of the time they signal and move over right after I do this, 50% of the time they don't respond at all, the remaining 25% I get flipped off or beeped at or they highbeam me. Don't care, you're the inconsiderate lane hogging idiot, someone's gotta break the news, and I've got a $500 car and a dashcam so it might as well be me. So if a beat-to-gently caress silver Forester ever flies past a mass AI goon with the horn wailing... KEEP RIGHT EXCEPT WHEN PASSING, MOTHERFUCKER, MASS VEHICLE CODE 89-4B.

If I was a police officer I would be the Oprah of 89-4B tickets. You get an 89-4B! You too! So do you! 89-4B tickets for everyone!

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

I have been known, in weaker moments, to get in front of them and go slower until they change lanes.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
Having an oil burning piece of poo poo car (Corolla 1ZZ-FE) with no cat is useful for dealing with tailgaters and slowpokes.

Get in front of them, and give her a rev or two and make them eat a nice cloud of smoke. Gets the point across nicely.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Well speaking as a masshole, I saw some idiot on 495 tonight with no lights on at about 7:30 pm. It was completely dark out. Traffic was a little heavy and I guess they were relying on the fact that everyone else had their lights on, but this guy was running totally dark, not even DRLs or anything. I slid in behind him and flashed him and gave him a couple little honks, but he didn't do poo poo, just kept cruising dark.

I see those all the time. My late night commute home takes me from brightly-lit downtown onto the highway that gradually leads to the deep dark suburbs. There are plenty of people who don't notice their lights are off for a really long time, probably since they can still see fine, and don't realize they're nothing but a shadow in everyone's rear view mirror.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I encountered a driver a couple weeks ago that was happily cruising in the middle lane, but seemingly randomly would swerve to the left most lane. After a few miles I figure out every time they came up on a semi, they would switch to the left lane so they had a one lane gap.

Which I guess I don't see a huge issue with, except there was a lot of truck traffic and they kept zig-zagging and cutting off people trying to drive faster in the left lane.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

xzzy posted:

Unprepared for what? The sudden closure of every single gas station between your location at home? Sudden nuclear strike? Top secret spy fleeing assassins? Police commandeering your vehicle for a high speed pursuit?

:iiam:

Living about 60 miles from Oroville dam and seeing the huge lines at gas stations on TV, the importance of a full tank has been re-enforced to me.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

nm posted:

Living about 60 miles from Oroville dam and seeing the huge lines at gas stations on TV, the importance of a full tank has been re-enforced to me.

How bad are things out there right now? That whole thing is fairly alarming.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

shortspecialbus posted:

Space Crabs posted:

They dropped the lake level by 35 feet and the storms aren't supposed to be that bad so they cut output by 20% to repair the broken power station which will let them get rid of even more water so no this will not fulfill your lust for death and you should look elsewhere, sorry.

Ignore the last part. That’s for GBS.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
No Doom?

Awwww :(

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

shortspecialbus posted:

It seems to be much improved. They let people go home.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Powered Descent posted:

I see those all the time. My late night commute home takes me from brightly-lit downtown onto the highway that gradually leads to the deep dark suburbs. There are plenty of people who don't notice their lights are off for a really long time, probably since they can still see fine, and don't realize they're nothing but a shadow in everyone's rear view mirror.

One time I saw a black fox body with no lights on a dark country road at like 8pm. He was also the first one in line, so I have no idea how he could see where he was going at all. I didn't realize he was there until the car behind him (maybe 2 cars up from me) came close enough that I could make out the back of a car in the darkness. IDGI :shrug:

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

I live in Germany, so ~150 km go a "long" way, and reserve should be another 50 to 100 km. I usually fill the tank to at least 75%. Though I can go ~1000 km with a full tank.

While stuff might be close. We tend to get more burned out cars nowadays. In the last months I've seen quite some "car burned out here" spots on the Autobahn.

Tank Boy Ken fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Feb 17, 2017

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
I had an unpleasant experience when it turned out that rural French gas stations did not open on Sundays, and I had to brace the Col de la Schlucht with a tank that had already given me an empty warning before I even started the ascent. After having made it to Strasbourg (~65km) over the mountain I grew much more relaxed with regard to that particular warning.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
On gas chat, do you think it can be damaging to 100% fill up at bottom of the barrel brand stations? Instead of "Top Tier" marketing poo poo like Citgo, Shell, BP, etc. Supposedly the higher prices on those stations are due to higher amounts of detergents.

I noticed a number of people in the thread saying they would fill up at the cheapest stations they could find around them.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/07/08/autos/aaa-cheap-gasoline/

Some conflicting info from Edmunds https://www.edmunds.com/car-care/is-cheap-gas-bad-for-your-car.html

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Feb 17, 2017

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Michael Scott posted:

On gas chat, do you think it can be damaging to 100% fill up at bottom of the barrel brand stations? Instead of "Top Tier" marketing poo poo like Citgo, Shell, BP, etc. Supposedly the higher prices on those stations are due to higher amounts of detergents.

I noticed a number of people in the thread saying they would fill up at the cheapest stations they could find around them.

Their gas all comes from the same refineries, so no, it's doesn't actually make a difference. With rare exceptions just buy the cheapest gas of the octane rating you want. It's all the same.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Michael Scott posted:

Some conflicting info from Edmunds https://www.edmunds.com/car-care/is-cheap-gas-bad-for-your-car.html

Anecdotally I do see a slight (3/4 to a full MPG better) bump in economy when I fill up at Costco, which advertises "Top Tier" fuel at their pumps. However I don't go out of my way for it, I usually shop for the lowest price at two regional chains that have consistently busy gas stations.

Honestly the only qualifier I'd look for is how often does the station get a tanker in? And I'd only really go out of my way to avoid some little seldom-used mom & pop station like "Cleetus' Gas Shack" that likely has an old leaky steel underground tank and gets a tanker maybe 3-4 times a year.

Deteriorata posted:

Their gas all comes from the same refineries, so no, it's doesn't actually make a difference. With rare exceptions just buy the cheapest gas of the octane rating you want. It's all the same.

This is true up to a point - the base gasoline is all the same but there's an additive package that gets mixed in when the tanker is filled at the depot.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Hi quit derailing the People You Share a Road With thread with gas chat. Take it to the chat thread or a new thread entirely.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
I have 10 miles of two lane highway every day to work. Never loving fails, someone pulls out right in front of me at least once. If it's open, I will pass rather than hit the brakes. Sure enough some asshat in a prius flashes me and gets on the horn this morning after getting passed. Seriously? You pulled out in front of me. I'm swapping paint with that motherfucker if I ever see him again.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I live pretty close to here, and the news choppers were hovering all night.

Some dude stole a Corvette, ran from the cops, ran a red light, hit the red light, tore the front off of another car, and completely disintegrated against the tree.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/corvette-744302-forest-car.html

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’m surprised there was enough left to drape a sheet over.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

A testament to Chevy engineering.. designed to leave you a recognizable corpse!

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005
God there are a lot of lovely drivers out there today.

First, there was the jackass that cut me off because he just couldn't wait for me to pass before pulling out of the lot. Then, after making me slam on the brakes he goes slower than I had been going. Of course.

A short time later, as we're both about to turn right, the guy in front of him slams on his brakes, then crosses two lanes into the left turn lane.

Then, at a light, I'm in the right lane to get on the ramp to the highway, and there's a modded little Mazda next to me. I just knew what was going to happen when the light changed, and he did not disappoint. The light turns green and he floors it and gets in front of me. Then slows down. Because he didn't need to go faster, he just needed to go first.

Then there was the guy moving back and forth from one lane to the other trying to get past the line of cars in front of me. For a couple miles when there w as obviously no change in either lane that would allow for that.

Later, sitting in the right lane of a dual right turn out of a parking lot, the rear end in a top hat in the jeep to my left turn across my path into my lane nearly hitting me.

A little farther down the road I come across the clueless twit in an SUV. Driving below the speed limit, obviously slower that everybody else on the road, and I couldn't get past her. But maybe she's not turning the same way I am...or she is. But there are two lanes for a short distance, I'll just turn into whichever lane she doesn't turn into...but she straddles both lanes and I don't feel safe squeezing past her. But the speed limit is only 35 here, surely she can drive at least that fast...or not.

This was only a twenty minute drive, including a stop at the bank.

Murphys Law fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Feb 17, 2017

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

I stopped next to a guy at a red light today who had three wheel bolts missing from the wheel closest to me on his lovely B5 Passat. He must have mistaken my horrified staring at the wheel for a challenge, as when the light turned green he peeled out, burning rubber. "Car guy" enough to want to red light race, not "car guy" enough to realise basic poo poo about his car...

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Weight. Savings.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Yay more idiots! This is just this morning and last night, and I didn't bother saving everything.

The red truck on the left at the start moved 3 lanes to the right once I passed them, then came blazing across the gore point at me at the last minute, forcing me to slam on my brakes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqCph6eJgHY

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

FogHelmut posted:

I live pretty close to here, and the news choppers were hovering all night.

Some dude stole a Corvette, ran from the cops, ran a red light, hit the red light, tore the front off of another car, and completely disintegrated against the tree.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/corvette-744302-forest-car.html

The driver of the car cut in half was uninjured and declined to be taken for treatment. WHAT? What car is that?

Must be the most spectacular wreck I've ever seen with no injuries.

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Feb 18, 2017

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Michael Scott posted:

The driver of the car cut in half was uninjured and declined to be taken for treatment. WHAT? What car is that?

Must be the most spectacular wreck I've ever seen with no injuries.

Looks like a Civic to me.

It was hardly cut in half though, looks like a case of luck that the Corvette hit the other car far enough forward that it just sheered off everything in front of the engine

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Jaysus. People on country A-roads who get right up your arse in the 30 limits through villages.

Look, it's only for what, half a mile? Calm your tits, and do not overtake me unless you really loving mean it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

InitialDave posted:

Jaysus. People on country A-roads who get right up your arse in the 30 limits through villages.

Look, it's only for what, half a mile? Calm your tits, and do not overtake me unless you really loving mean it.

not as bad as the loving fucks who dangerously pass you doing 90 in a 60 and then carry on doing 90 in a 100

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So, I'm getting better at recognizing the dumbasses who have no clue what lanes are exit only lanes, or the lanes that turn into exit only lanes on my commute. Last night I had a semi go around a 45 mph curve at 35 mph, then proceed to go under the speed limit after the curve (it was a construction zone, so I'll give him a pass), and then at the last minute get out of the lane that became an exit only lane. All while I was going "yup, this guy is definitely not from around here".

I also saw the most aware Toyota FJ ever: "lolmpg".

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Saw a cyclist move to the middle of the road and signal to turn left, then the car behind her decided to overtake her, only to slam on the brakes when she started turning and honk at her. Not sure what the driver thought would happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Powershift posted:

not as bad as the loving fucks who dangerously pass you doing 90 in a 60 and then carry on doing 90 in a 100

It should be legal to kill those people.