Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Zzulu posted:

Strategy for beating the shugoki:

Step 1: parry his attacks
Step 2:

Break his armor and gg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
To be fair, Shugoki is one of the hardest characters to learn to defend against. His special ability changes the procedure of combat so much that takes awhile to get used to his moveset. Shugoki has an astoundingly great guardbreak->heavy attack that results in all cliffsides being dangerous, an instakill grab that mulches most noobs, and a very fast charge ability. On the other hand, Lawbringer has almost nothing as dangerous to new players or anything at all for experienced players to adjust to when defending. I spent a lot of the past few days learning how to fight Shugoki, and while I'm not as scared of them as I was on launch day, I still am pretty afraid of screwing up when facing them. Like, learning that even a countered guardbreak removes the hyper armor stance was a big deal, and was a big stepping stone to learning how to fight them effectively.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
If you're playing Shugoki and you lost your superarmor canceling a guardbreak rather than halfway thru a swing, you've already hosed up. Always be trading

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Shugoki is easy game, except for the fact parrying his blows is always so confusing. I always parry too early because I'm not used to attacks coming at me so drat slowly.

Other than that, I just tech out of his guard breaks and try and mix him up with feints, but that's dangerous cause his superarmour can protect him from my attacks, allowing him to get a grab out or charge.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The key to beating Shugoki is to break his poise with a light attack or gaurdbreak and then keep hitting him. He can't do anything without it and it takes stupidly long to regenerate sometimes. It can be down for like 6 seconds, which is an eternity in this game.

EDIT: The Shugoki can charge his heavy attack so the timing on it can vary significantly. You have to really keep an eye on what he's doing rather than rely on instinct. A good Shugoki is going to mix up the charge of their attacks to try and catch you out.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Feb 17, 2017

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Loopoo posted:

Shugoki is easy game, except for the fact parrying his blows is always so confusing. I always parry too early because I'm not used to attacks coming at me so drat slowly.

Other than that, I just tech out of his guard breaks and try and mix him up with feints, but that's dangerous cause his superarmour can protect him from my attacks, allowing him to get a grab out or charge.

That's my problem with Slammurais. I'm still trying to learn parrying timings, especially important for the Warlord I like, and those fuckers screw me up so hard because they're so slow. I find I do a lot better if I go aggressive but I want to git gud well enough ot have a chance of counter-attacking defensively.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Alkydere posted:

That's my problem with Slammurais. I'm still trying to learn parrying timings, especially important for the Warlord I like, and those fuckers screw me up so hard because they're so slow. I find I do a lot better if I go aggressive but I want to git gud well enough ot have a chance of counter-attacking defensively.

Just find a chill opponent who is at the same level or better than you and keep playing against him until you get it down. I had a fantastic Kensei a couple days back who was brilliant with parries and feints. I learnt more playing against him during those 40 minutes than I ever had in my previous playtime when it came to parries and feints.

You're gonna die, though. A lot. A lot a lot. That's why the opponent has to be chill. If they're spouting toxic poo poo you're just gonna tilt and barely learn anything. The Kensei was super nice cause he gave me pointers and told me what to look out for going against his class. Great guy, terrific guy, he's making For Honor great again.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Ok I can never play Berserker again on the off chance those pubbies I impressed ever play with me again and realize it was a fluke.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I'm still unclear, is the change in the patch notes a buff or a nerf for Zerker/Conqueror? Are THEY the ones who can be guard broken when their lights are blocked or other way around?

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

Dreylad posted:

Did we ever settle the Valk's Shield Charge -> Cancel into Guard Break? I think I see what a few people meant about a slightly different animation although the result seems to be the same as just letting the shield charge go off.

One is a knock down the other is not.

I like the Valk changes, will make me go back to playing her. It does not address the issue of her shoulder pin being way too hard to pull off.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
this game is fun but I just lost what seemed a sure game in a 4v4 elimination because this conqueror had some sort of "heal on block" ability that was incredibly annoying. We had to kill his team-mates immediately and gang up on the fucker to ever bring him down, since he'd just turtle up at the slightest sign of defeat. Do all high-level characters become that cheesy or am I a pussy who needs to git gud?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Sarrisan posted:

this game is fun but I just lost what seemed a sure game in a 4v4 elimination because this conqueror had some sort of "heal on block" ability that was incredibly annoying. We had to kill his team-mates immediately and gang up on the fucker to ever bring him down, since he'd just turtle up at the slightest sign of defeat. Do all high-level characters become that cheesy or am I a pussy who needs to git gud?

You should be able to just have one person guard break him while everyone else beats the hell out of him in theory :shrug:

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Yeah don't pile on defensive tanks like Conquerors in 4v4 because they can easily block you all and get a bunch of revenge and health back. Keep guard breaking him when he's open and his defenses go down

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Reclaimer posted:

Ok I can never play Berserker again on the off chance those pubbies I impressed ever play with me again and realize it was a fluke.

I had a moment like that where I was 1v4 on a bridge as valkyrie (pre-buff). I shield tackled, instantly pushing 3 guys off the bridge to massive applause while the 4th guy destroyed me. I should have stopped and secured my place in legend, but I went on to occupy the bottom of the scoreboard in another match.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Oh thank gently caress for the counter guard break changes being in the pipeline. It might be easier, but the timing on counter guard breaks is so punishing at the moment it's essentially a slap in the face for anyone who doesn't have perfect reflexes. I hate throwing my guard break the moment someone else does and they override me.

The sad part is that I'm actually forcing myself to get better at that horrible timing so my struggles will be for naught when the change hits

Pruney
Jul 9, 2012

Sexual attraction in this context is not a part of my programming
I'm still horrific at guard breaks, when I'm purposely trying I can do it perfectly but in the middle of combat I can't really here the sound. Might try using headphones and see if it makes a difference.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Captain Oblivious posted:

I'm still unclear, is the change in the patch notes a buff or a nerf for Zerker/Conqueror? Are THEY the ones who can be guard broken when their lights are blocked or other way around?

Its a slight nerf for something Zerker and Conqueror can do that they shouldn't have been able to. If you block them, they currently can get a guaranteed guardbreak. That wasn't intended for any classes.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Zzulu posted:

Yeah don't pile on defensive tanks like Conquerors in 4v4 because they can easily block you all and get a bunch of revenge and health back. Keep guard breaking him when he's open and his defenses go down

If you're ever in a 1-versus-many situation, the person who is being targeted by the target should fight normally, and everybody else should simply stand around and wait for the target to attack.

As soon as the target goes on offense, beat the tar out of him. Otherwise just sit back and let your dude do his thing, else you'll just give them revenge meter.

Eventually they'll have to go on offense and that means they're wide open to all attacks.

Pruney posted:

I'm still horrific at guard breaks, when I'm purposely trying I can do it perfectly but in the middle of combat I can't really here the sound. Might try using headphones and see if it makes a difference.

Same. I can land guard break counters perfectly every time if practicing with a friend, but in the heat of a battle where we're throwing in mixups and feints? Hell no. I very rarely actually respond in time. Working at it, but its hard to keep everything in mind and respond fast enough (as it should be)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Songbearer posted:

Oh thank gently caress for the counter guard break changes being in the pipeline. It might be easier, but the timing on counter guard breaks is so punishing at the moment it's essentially a slap in the face for anyone who doesn't have perfect reflexes. I hate throwing my guard break the moment someone else does and they override me.

The sad part is that I'm actually forcing myself to get better at that horrible timing so my struggles will be for naught when the change hits

As was already said, the timing on guard breaks is not changing at all. At least, those patch notes said nothing about changing guard break timing whatsoever.

Its simply fixing a bug where people who throw guardbreak who get guardbreak'd cannot even get the chance to guardbreak counter. That's all that is changing. The window and timing will be exactly the same, unless they do something else.

Pruney
Jul 9, 2012

Some people said switching GB to a key rather than MMB helps but I kind of need it on my MMB for Long Arm

Lawbringer is the best:discourse:

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

guard break cancelling is pretty easy anyway, you should probably practice it with a bot until you can do it 99% of the time. also rebind it to LB/L1 or the left stick button or something, the default button for it is garbage

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Gaj posted:

Ive opened alll of my drat ports following this https://portforward.com/help/for-honor/ guide and I still get 30 minute dead zones of playing. Jesus gently caress this match making.

Also how do I see my individual hero win rates, overall Im 64%

Do you have a uPnP option on your router? I just had to tick that to go from red to green, no manual shenanigans needed.

Also, apparently I'm the base around which all the matchmaking has been designed, cause in 1v1 honorabru duels I have a perfect 50% W/L rate with a 0.9x K/D ration. AMA.

Pruney
Jul 9, 2012

I have 74% W/L ratio in Duels ;~)

Finally prestiged my LB too.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
is it just me or have the contract orders not reset today?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I'm having a lot of fun with the Conqueror: I know he's not the best but he feels very different to play from anything else. Just wish there was something more to him than fishing for shield bash setups.

Pruney
Jul 9, 2012

You probably know but there's the charge combo

charge strong attack > hold it > approach enemy and wait for attack > block attack like normal > release charge

It will do an 'insta' hit with your charge attack for full charge damage which is quite useful. Only works a couple of times though since they catch on.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Yeah, I've been using that but people wise up, play patiently and wait for me to let go of the charge, which I have to do eventually due to stamina. Even switching the angle is pretty predictable and usually leads into the charged heavy getting parried if I'm playing against good players.

Can you cancel the charged heavy into guard break/preventing guard break, btw?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

The Iron Rose posted:

is it just me or have the contract orders not reset today?

I can't even select new orders. Game is pretty buggy on ps4 at least. Also got the "finish the story mode on normal" trophy after finishing a dominion game.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Oh my loving god.

Are you loving kidding me?

Guardbreak interrupts are performed when you have a red shield on YOUR character, not when it shows up on the enemy.

I've been pressing guard break during the enemy's wind up animation instead of when I get hit by it, because the tutorial said to press it at the start of the guard break.

I've played for almost 18 hours including the beta and didn't loving realise.

gently caress off

E: I could've been CGBing based on the sound alone if I had known this, gently caress

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Feb 17, 2017

Pruney
Jul 9, 2012

Songbearer posted:

Oh my loving god.

Are you loving kidding me?

Guardbreak interrupts are performed when you have a red shield on YOUR character, not when it shows up on the enemy.

I've been pressing guard break during the enemy's wind up animation instead of when I get hit by it, because the tutorial said to press it at the start of the guard break.

I've played for almost 18 hours including the beta and didn't loving realise.

gently caress off

E: I could've been CGBing based on the sound alone if I had known this, gently caress

I didn't know that either, I've been trying to do it off the sound but I'll try the visual effect next time

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Press it when the shield icon is a full shield, not split, and you'll get the CGB immediately.

Today is the day I also learned that the warden overhead counterattack should be performed by on parry timing rather than immediately when the attack is being launched. Whee!

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Tekopo posted:

Yeah, I've been using that but people wise up, play patiently and wait for me to let go of the charge, which I have to do eventually due to stamina. Even switching the angle is pretty predictable and usually leads into the charged heavy getting parried if I'm playing against good players.

Can you cancel the charged heavy into guard break/preventing guard break, btw?

I'm fairly certain you can cancel the charge-up into a guardbreak, yeah. That has a way of catching people off guard and allows you to do the whole heavy-bash-mixup thing.
Alternatively, you can also go for the superior block. To pull that off, you need to launch your attack a short time before theirs connects, with your guard in the same direction. The window for this is fairly tricky, but if you pull it off you still block and your attack is guaranteed to connect no matter what the enemy does.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

Tekopo posted:

Yeah, I've been using that but people wise up, play patiently and wait for me to let go of the charge, which I have to do eventually due to stamina.

You are hard canceling it into a feint every once in a while right?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

These loading times ;_;

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

It's not bad if you're playing in the vastly superior 1v1 and 2v2 modes.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

mellowjournalism posted:

You are hard canceling it into a feint every once in a while right?
Conqueror doesn't have feint, the only semi-feint is doing holding back to do the block, which has its own issues.

Pruney
Jul 9, 2012

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

It's not bad if you're playing in the vastly superior 1v1 and 2v2 modes.

I don't see the point of playing anything other than these two gamemodes...

The 4 v 4's are boring as heck since it's just a sausage fest

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
what

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
strongpinions itt

Tekopo posted:

Conqueror doesn't have feint, the only semi-feint is doing holding back to do the block, which has its own issues.

Whatever the hell you want to call it, you are hard canceling your charge up every once in a while right?

Also what is this semi-feint while doing holding back to do the block

Something about full block stance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

And I prefer dominion over HONERABRU DUEL.

Turns out people have different tastes.