Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

El Disco posted:

Well, we have speculation that the Sims has an XP bonus compared to the other ships, but nothing to go by other than how it "feels." I think it's possible based on past wargaming fuckups (might even be on purpose) but I'm still not 100% sold. In those patch notes posted, not a single premium ship is listed.

Oh no, the Sims having a higher XP ratio is speculation, but there is proof that said ratio exists. I'm pretty sure it's higher for premiums in general but WG is never gonna tell us that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

ranbo das posted:

Oh no, the Sims having a higher XP ratio is speculation, but there is proof that said ratio exists. I'm pretty sure it's higher for premiums in general but WG is never gonna tell us that.

I doubt that premiums in general have a higher ratio due to all of them having xp camo. If someone found the list, I bet they'd all be the same as their closest tech tree equivalent or within a few percent.

That's really the problem with arguing about it. Without looking at that spreadsheet nobody knows for sure. The info Wargaming has released suggests that there is no hidden premium ship xp bonus but I think we can all agree that their info isn't always accurate.

:iiam:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
If I take my Gneisenau captain, stick him into my Bismarck, train him up on that ship, and then put him back into a Gneisenau, does he retain his skills or is he a Bismarck captain now and forgets everything he used to know and I need to retrain him on the lower-tier ship again?

Thundercakes
Nov 4, 2011

Phanatic posted:

If I take my Gneisenau captain, stick him into my Bismarck, train him up on that ship, and then put him back into a Gneisenau, does he retain his skills or is he a Bismarck captain now and forgets everything he used to know and I need to retrain him on the lower-tier ship again?

You'd have to retrain him if you want to do that. That would work for a Gneisenau-Tirpitz, but not a Gneisenau-Bismarck.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

NTRabbit posted:

It's basically the best opposing team you can get actually, apart from their DD which was a Mahan iirc. Scharnhorst is far and away the best ranked battleship, and Myoko is marginally the best ranked cruiser. Triple Scharnhorst wrecks the face of everything.

Nagato
Nagato
Gneisenau or Scharn
Belfast
Belfast
Sims
Blys/Sims/Shira/Maas

"GG, was close"

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

NTRabbit posted:

Nagato 16" shells bounce off my angled Gneisenau relatively easily, and the Scharnhorst armour is stronger; mean time it's pumping 6 decent HE shells into the Nagato superstructure every 20 seconds, compared to 4 shells every 30s in return.

This wasn't isolated, this was the team sailing in a clump, and the ships on the leading edge of the clump systematically being focus fired on first contact, while return fire was not near as effective.

The only one that was isolated was the Colorado that fell behind.

:ntrabbit:

No, angled Scharnorsts still won't bounce 41cm shells. If the shell is hitting too low, yes, it can autobounce off the lower bow plating, which isn't overmatched, but anything above that is a clear overmatch that won't overpen as its traveling the length of the ship and will likely impact the turret barbette for a potential incap. The turret faces could bounce 41 cm shells, but only at a bad angle. And if the Scharn is looking away from the Nagato for some reason, the turrets sides are easy pens as well. The Nagato isn't meant to brawl the Scharn, but it certainly can and will deal damage to it. On a pristine bow, its not uncommon for me to salvo Scharnhorsts for 8-16k damage, depending on the RNG. The Scharnhorst is not a very good ship at killing enemy BBs. The Nagato is.

Hazdoc fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Feb 16, 2017

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
The Scharnhorst can definitely bounce 16-inch shells off the belt armor given a decent angle. It's got 350mm down there.

Which is why you don't aim at the belt.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Vengarr posted:

The Scharnhorst can definitely bounce 16-inch shells off the belt armor given a decent angle. It's got 350mm down there.

He's saying bow on, which is what I detailed. Side on, its even easier to pen, just don't aim for the loving belt and you'll be fine, there's loads of soft places to pen and you dont run the risk of autobounce on most of the target. Broadside, even the belt won't help, though you still won't get citadels because magical german armor or something.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Vengarr posted:

Which reminds me of a great video on the subject -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bqagxQLw3Q

MikeC posted:

Thanks DUNKN bros for helping with the 5 win in a division mission for the useful camo tonight.

:glomp:

Pacra fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Feb 16, 2017

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Hazdoc posted:

He's saying bow on, which is what I detailed. Side on, its even easier to pen, just don't aim for the loving belt and you'll be fine, there's loads of soft places to pen and you dont run the risk of autobounce on most of the target. Broadside, even the belt won't help, though you still won't get citadels because magical german armor or something.

The bow vs bow situation at distance is definitely one of the positions where the Scharnhorst comes off second best and indeed doesn't have a ton of favourable options. You can shell them with HE but she'll damage suck's and fires can be healed up easily. Any angled situation in a BB fight has her well behind.

While the Scharnhorst is better vs cruisers in a vacuum, it lacks the instant imposing alpha strike vs enemy ships that show broadside.

Even it's brawling potential vs other BBs is questionable since an opposing BB is ok with eating a volley from a Scharnhorst while executing a turn away at distance to avoid torpedo range. A Genisenau has the guns to punish such a turn by threatening citadel pens at extended ranges.

The Scharnhorst is a great ship but most of its value comes from being able to play like a super tanky cruiser especially when in random battles where you can get up tiered. A lot of BBs suffer from lack of utility when up tiered where as the Scharnhorst can slide into a dps cruiser role that can't be deleted instantly

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

A Nagato that can aim worth a drat is the scariest thing when I'm in my Scharn in ranked. They can punish me pretty much no matter how I angle, can nail me at a range where my guns are more likely to hit a player in a different game than my target, and I have to hope I can spook them with volume of fire and get them to turn broadside to me trying to escape...or that I can get in close and use my torps and that they're also dumb and will keep driving into them.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

So did the entire WG team resign and we got even more fucktarded people in charge there? I mean, there've been plenty of moronic ship designs and decisions in the past, but between poo poo like the USS Black and the new RU Destroyer lines, it seems like there are far more than previous. And the "Well, they're still subject to change" line doesn't really cut it, because this stuff is poo poo that someone shouldn't even have to see in-game to realize there's something wrong.

Akizuki? Described as an AA destroyer in the description - doesn't get DF. Z-52? Described as having extremely advanced AA system - doesn't get DF, and realistically its AA suite is a joke at T10. Grozovoi? Nothing in the description even mentions AA - gets both DF and the capability for an insanely powerful AA build due to its base gun setup.

Other side of the tree that still ends with the Khabarovsk? LET'S GIVE THEM A loving HEAL. Because those high tier incredibly high speed, incredibly high visibility destroyers really care about losing their smoke. Khabarovsk is still the best T10 destroyer by a huge margin, and not only are they not nerfing in any way with the line change, it's getting a heal (WiP). Wargaming, folks!

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Lord Koth posted:

So did the entire WG team resign and we got even more fucktarded people in charge there? I mean, there've been plenty of moronic ship designs and decisions in the past, but between poo poo like the USS Black and the new RU Destroyer lines, it seems like there are far more than previous. And the "Well, they're still subject to change" line doesn't really cut it, because this stuff is poo poo that someone shouldn't even have to see in-game to realize there's something wrong.

Akizuki? Described as an AA destroyer in the description - doesn't get DF. Z-52? Described as having extremely advanced AA system - doesn't get DF, and realistically its AA suite is a joke at T10. Grozovoi? Nothing in the description even mentions AA - gets both DF and the capability for an insanely powerful AA build due to its base gun setup.

Other side of the tree that still ends with the Khabarovsk? LET'S GIVE THEM A loving HEAL. Because those high tier incredibly high speed, incredibly high visibility destroyers really care about losing their smoke. Khabarovsk is still the best T10 destroyer by a huge margin, and not only are they not nerfing in any way with the line change, it's getting a heal (WiP). Wargaming, folks!

Yea, that video with the Grozovoi just mulching planes is just dumb. No matter that they are dual-purpose AA guns, it still only has 3 turrets, while something like an Atlanta has 8 DP turrets. I don't even like CVs in the game, but have a CV that can potentially lose all their planes to a destroyer they might not even see is beyond dumb.
Defensive fire on a DD should just interrupt planes and force them into a panic state for a bit, not mulch entire squads.

I think they should really rethink how they hand out consumables and abilities across lines, especially before we eventually end up with a battleship that has radar and smoke. To me, battleships shouldn't have things like radar and hydro. Their trade off for having armor, health and guns should be a vulnerability to torps and ships in smoke.
All cruisers above tier 5 should have repair party though, I think that skill is too useful to restrict to a single nation and higher tiers. Smoke being restricted to certain ships is ok though, makes the UK ships unique.
Destroyers really shouldn't have radar like the USS Black, that is just dumb. Give it hydro like the Lo Yang/Germans. They shouldn't get a heal either.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
The only way I would accept radar on a destroyer is as a consumable swap with smoke. That way, it can't just get close to the enemy team, smoke, and then radr bing the entire team and vomit fire with impunity. I don't get it either though. For all of wargaming's talk of trying to kill stealth firing, they seem to offer more tools to do just that.

As for CVs, yeah, that destroyer shouldn't have aa bursts akin to a drat cruiser/battleship. CV play is already pretty repressed because of the changes that has happened over the past year already. And the often mentioned fact that the ui fights you the entire time. However, adding a destroyer that can also just maul planes is just going to make cv players disappear more. And all that does is break whatever balance they kept talking of when the game was being launched. CV were supposed to be a way to help spot destroyers and also have their biggest impact against the slow turning battleships. That was true until they changed the way turning circles were calculated which meant many of the battleships got much much more agile. And then planes got nerfed (rip early age jets) followed by aa buffs across all ships. And then hello german battleships with their most powerful aa being right there at the longest range aura to maximize damage to squads heading in.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Ranked.jpg

Also WG please buff all DD AA to be as strong as the Grozovoi, then after you do that, just delete CVs
TIA

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Corgi season is starting.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

CitizenKain posted:

Yea, that video with the Grozovoi just mulching planes is just dumb. No matter that they are dual-purpose AA guns, it still only has 3 turrets, while something like an Atlanta has 8 DP turrets. I don't even like CVs in the game, but have a CV that can potentially lose all their planes to a destroyer they might not even see is beyond dumb.
Defensive fire on a DD should just interrupt planes and force them into a panic state for a bit, not mulch entire squads.

The Grozovoi has very similar AA to the Akizuki. Which at T10 makes sense.
It's the AA consumable and full AA build that make it ludicrous. I doub't you will see many players go for the full AA build.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Krogort posted:

The Grozovoi has very similar AA to the Akizuki. Which at T10 makes sense.
It's the AA consumable and full AA build that make it ludicrous. I doub't you will see many players go for the full AA build.

No it doesn't, because Akizuki is specifically described as an AA destroyer, and thus CV players are aware of its supposed danger to them (and it's lower than one would think anyways with that descriptor). There is literally nothing in the Grozovoi's description mentioning AA. Akizuki is also really slow at 33 kts, as opposed to the 42+ kts the RU one does, so it can't actually move around the battlefield to harass the planes if the CV sends them somewhere else. As I mentioned, there's also already a destroyer at T10 described as having a good AA suite - and it's an utter joke, even ignoring this RU one.

As for "similar" AA, the Grozovoi has over half again as much AA as the Akizuki (~200 to ~300 with full AA builds), and better range bands (Long: 7.2 km compared to 7.5 km; Short: 4.4 km compared to 5.1 km) - this is incidentally another RU issue, with them getting the longest range AA in the game for no loving reason - even before Manual AA and Defensive Fire are taken into account.

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance
dw guys it's only a test, it's still a work in progress, it's not final and it's going to be balanced properly

no it's not

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner
Are you actually looking at ship descriptions? Who gives a poo poo about them, dude.
This sperging about a destroyer with good AA, while we all know that it will be at best situational, is excessive. The only counter to carriers at tier 10 are carriers, because if you gently caress up one of his bombing run with your AA DD, the carrier will just switch targets.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The Gneisenau is better than the Scharnhorst in ranked in pretty much any realistic situation.

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance
Yeah this whole discussion about "3 scharnhorsts vs nagato means dead nagato, thus scharnhorst is good and nagato is poo poo" is dumb as gently caress. Scharnhorst is a good cruiser killer but not a good BB killer. Nagato (and Gneis if it fuckin actually hits) are good BB killers. If NTRabbit actually thinks otherwise it explains why he's still stuck at rank 17 after 50 battles. I'd much rather see a bunch of Nagatos on my team than Scharnhorsts if it's BB-heavy.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
~newbie poo poo question~

I've been playing this a few weeks and I'm trying to figure out who I want to be

I got to TIII Commies and had a lot of fun with the Bogatyr class because gently caress if I don't love speed and a lot of guns. However once getting my T IV Cruiser I've found myself greatly outclassed by IV+ Battleships who can almost one shot me with a full broadside.

I started looking at the other trees and with the exception of the UK everyone else has a TON of other options. Is USSR the weakest faction for ship choice, am I just experiencing the newbie part of the game where balance is garbage and doesn't reflect endgame?

I did a few games with a US Chester-class and it was..alright. 4 guns feels really boring even though they track and reload pretty quickly.

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Feb 17, 2017

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe

Adult Sword Owner posted:

I've been playing this a few weeks and I'm trying to figure out who I want to be

I got to TIII Commies and had a lot of fun with the Bogatyr class because gently caress if I don't love speed and a lot of guns. However once getting my T IV Cruiser I've found myself greatly outclassed by IV+ Battleships who can almost one shot me with a full broadside.

I started looking at the other trees and with the exception of the UK everyone else has a TON of other options. Is USSR the weakest faction for ship choice, am I just experiencing the newbie part of the game where balance is garbage and doesn't reflect endgame?

I did a few games with a US Chester-class and it was..alright. 4 guns feels really boring even though they track and reload pretty quickly.
While some people like Svetlana I consider it weakest tier 4 cruiser and shame of Russian cruiser line. If you will deem to suffer through it you will gain access to good line of long-range sniper cruisers. They generally have very good speed in straight line, sluggish rudder, no armor and very very accurate, long ranged guns. As a rule you get typical ship for cruiser line at tier 5.

One of the highlights of USN cruiser line is right after Chester. You think 4 guns is not enough guns? Game agrees with you. So how about 14 of them? St.Louis is a beast that can brawl with tier 4 battleship and come out a winner. St.Louis is what Bogatyr wants to be when it grows up.

Lady Morgaga fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Feb 17, 2017

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Lady Morgaga posted:

While some people like Svetlana I consider it weakest tier 4 cruiser and shame of Russian cruiser line. If you will deem to suffer through it you will gain access to good line of long-range sniper cruisers. They generally have very good speed in straight line, sluggish rudder, no armor and very very accurate, long ranged guns. Generally you get typical ship for cruiser line at tier 5.

One of the highlights of USN cruiser line is right after Chester. You think 4 guns is not enough guns? Game agrees with you. So how about 14 of them? St.Louis is a beast that can brawl with tier 4 battleship and come out a winner. St.Louis is what Bogatyr wants to be when it grows up.

Friends who play say St Louis is a beast so I will probably slog through to check this

Tier IV USSR just felt really weak and I would have to mash my face against Co Op until I got through it or beg friends to carry me in Random

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe
Svetlana imo is serious contender for worst ship in game. It said that it got good guns but they are 130mm so the shell does less damage and on top of that its fire rate is glacial because if those two things Im fairly certain its DPM is lowest of any of tier 4 cruisers. One would think "Well it got low DPM but if you can sit at range and snipe ships in relative safety you could do some damage with your relatively good guns right?". No. It got lowest range among tier 4 cruisers. It literally got nothing going for it. No. I am mistaken. It got one thing going for it. Its not Karlsruhe.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Lol what? I struggle to get less than 70% win rate in it

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Cippalippus posted:

Lol what? I struggle to get less than 70% win rate in it

Really? It just feels like it's lost armor in favor of speed and guns, but hasn't gotten a bonus to either, so it's just a paper-think IV Cruiser

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

I don't know, it just works. I love mine

Edit: Mutsu available for sale on eu! And PayPal offer for doubloons, too. My credit card is ready to cry

Cippalippus fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Feb 17, 2017

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD
I skipped the Svietlana back on the line's release since the drat ship kept violently ejecting its engine every time you got hit with HE. I doubt its much better now.

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance
St Louis is a monster, a cruiser battleship.

As for trees to go up in .. I enjoyed the IJN grind. Tenryu is a good ship, the Kuma is great. Furutaka at tier 5 is a good cruiser with nasty guns and is pretty tanky for a cruiser. Aoba is simply a bigger Furutaka. The problem with these two cruisers is that they are absolutely hosed by the match maker. The fun picks up again at T7 with the Myoko, T8 Mogami is a bit of a let down after the many nerfs, T9 Ubuki is good and at T10 comes the ultimate cancer/troll that is called the Zao. T8 premium Atago is borderline OP and a good captain trainer.

I don't know what to think of the USN cruiser line anymore though. Back in the beta the Phoenix and Omaha were beasts, and the Cleveland absolutely ballin' (even without the broken AFT). Nowadays the Phoenix and Omaha are just floating citadels, though the Cleveland is still pretty good. Higher tier USN cruisers received a much needed buff recently.

You could always go down the boring and safe route, and grind up the German BB tree.

Iceshade fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Feb 17, 2017

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Lady Morgaga posted:

Svetlana imo is serious contender for worst ship in game. It said that it got good guns but they are 130mm so the shell does less damage and on top of that its fire rate is glacial because if those two things Im fairly certain its DPM is lowest of any of tier 4 cruisers. One would think "Well it got low DPM but if you can sit at range and snipe ships in relative safety you could do some damage with your relatively good guns right?". No. It got lowest range among tier 4 cruisers. It literally got nothing going for it. No. I am mistaken. It got one thing going for it. Its not Karlsruhe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5Dnf5NLnUs

Karlsruhe isn't bad if you're not bad.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I was never too interested in the VMF cruiser line, but I received a free Budyonny from some mission, so yay for not having to sail the Svietlana I guess?

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Cippalippus posted:

I don't know, it just works. I love mine

Edit: Mutsu available for sale on eu! And PayPal offer for doubloons, too. My credit card is ready to cry

Mutsu up on US as well. Also the texas with stars and stripes camo. I assume the camo is up in game as well to grab for existing texas owners.

Heartcatch posted:

I was never too interested in the VMF cruiser line, but I received a free Budyonny from some mission, so yay for not having to sail the Svietlana I guess?

You probably got it from the santa convoy tasks. A lot of the tier 6 ships were given away in there with special permanent camo.

Edit: nope, stars and stripes camo isn't available to existing texas owners currently.

JuffoWup fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Feb 17, 2017

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Is the Mutsu worth getting?

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

What is the worst t7 ship?

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Pensacola.

Cippalippus