Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
When I was on ship last year the navy did DC drills every couple weeks. Usually they went to GQ so marines just chilled in their berthing areas while these dudes ran around all over the place. It was pretty extensive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Grand Prize Winner posted:

From my dad's stories, I get the impression that the US military has books like that, but no one reads them.

He was in the reserves from lime 68-72 or something like that, though.

We don't get that luxury. I ended up the personal minion of our Kompanietruppführer (an organisational post for a Hauptfeldwebel, which would be uh a Master Sergeant in the US-Army?) and I had to read those books all the goddamn time. We got regular updates which I had to copy and paste literally into the books.

And by "literally" I mean I had to take a pair of scissors and a bottle of glue and literally paste tiny strips of paper over the outdated text. :shepface:

Edit:

I was in the army from roughly 2004 - 2006, first as draftee, then as volunteer-draftee. So hopefully this paper-updating got a little upgrade by now, I remember the Bundeswehr starting to modernize their IT-equipment around that time.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Feb 16, 2017

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

VanSandman posted:

I want to know about the ships that sink every day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lp7BBfRPGds

That's a static trainer in a building on land (assuming that's what "ships that sink every day" means). The instructors are watching on the cameras in the control room and can simulate just about any amount of flooding from any valve or system.

There are also firefighting trainers that are engine room mock-ups, they can tell how much water you're putting where and adjust or extinguish the propane burners depending on if they think you're effectively fighting the fire.

hogmartin fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Feb 16, 2017

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.
I'm trying to verify if the following story is correct, details might be off somewhat:

In the Vietnam War, Lockheed Martin took a look at transport planes / helicopters returning from the field and compiled a graph of where they suffered the most hits. Then they up-armored the places that didn't show any hits because those planes were shot down, never returning to base and not showing up in their data.

Any truth behind this?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

hogmartin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lp7BBfRPGds

That's a static trainer in a building on land (assuming that's what "ships that sink every day" means). The instructors are watching on the cameras in the control room and can simulate just about any amount of flooding from any valve or system.

There are also firefighting trainers that are engine room mock-ups, they can tell how much water you're putting where and adjust or extinguish the propane burners depending on if they think you're effectively fighting the fire.

That sounds like it would be really fun to play around with.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Welmu posted:

I'm trying to verify if the following story is correct, details might be off somewhat:

In the Vietnam War, Lockheed Martin took a look at transport planes / helicopters returning from the field and compiled a graph of where they suffered the most hits. Then they up-armored the places that didn't show any hits because those planes were shot down, never returning to base and not showing up in their data.

Any truth behind this?

Didn't this come up in this very thread with regards to airforces in WWII?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Welmu posted:

Any truth behind this?

Well it probably applies to later wars as well, but the idea originates from WW2.

quote:

During World War II, Wald applied his statistical skills when considering how to minimize bomber losses to enemy fire. Researchers from the Center for Naval Analyses had conducted a study of the damage done to aircraft that had returned from missions, and had recommended that armor be added to the areas that showed the most damage. Wald noted that the study only considered the aircraft that had survived their missions—the bombers that had been shot down were not present for the damage assessment. The holes in the returning aircraft, then, represented areas where a bomber could take damage and still return home safely. Wald proposed that the Navy instead reinforce the areas where the returning aircraft were unscathed, since those were the areas that, if hit, would cause the plane to be lost. This is still considered today seminal work in the then-fledgling discipline of operational research.

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.

Kiitokset tykistön kehittäjälle.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Welmu posted:

Any truth behind this?

WWII. They looked at bombers that came back from raids damaged, observed where the damage was, and armored the portions where the damage *wasn't*, under the rationale that planes that were hit in *those* areas didn't make it back, and the places where the planes that did make it back were damaged were less critical because that damage was being survived. That was the first time it was done, but the methodology was used in Korea and Vietnam.

Here's the original paper by Abe Wald:

http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?Location=U2&doc=GetTRDoc.pdf&AD=ADA091073

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Libluini posted:

We don't get that luxury. I ended up the personal minion of our Kompanietruppführer (an organisational post for a Hauptfeldwebel, which would be uh a Master Sergeant in the US-Army?) and I had to read those books all the goddamn time. We got regular updates which I had to copy and paste literally into the books.

And by "literally" I mean I had to take a pair of scissors and a bottle of glue and literally paste tiny strips of paper over the outdated text. :shepface:

Edit:

I was in the army from roughly 2004 - 2006, first as draftee, then as volunteer-draftee. So hopefully this paper-updating got a little upgrade by now, I remember the Bundeswehr starting to modernize their IT-equipment around that time.

Not quite that bad, but helicopter operator's manuals and check lists must be updated by removing the old pages and adding the new ones. No cutting and pasting though.

Also, the reserve component not being used in Vietnam led directly to the situation today where the National Guard and Army Reserve units are regularly rotated into combat theaters. There are several reasons for this. One is that National Guard troops have much closer ties to their communities, so the people in them have a more direct stake and support for the war. Another is that it's cheaper to use Guardsmen and Reservists as they are only on duty for around 40 days a year outside of their deployments (This number varies by type of unit and whether they are getting ready to deploy or not). Third, it doesn't make sense to spend a lot of money for a reserve component if it's never going to be used. After Vietnam, it was decided that either the Guard would have to play a more active role or it would be a greatly diminished and non-deployable force.

There is also the fact that if you served in the Guard during Vietnam, you couldn't be drafted and your chances of being deployed were basically nil. In 1968 the Army National Guard had 389,000 members. Around 6,000 members of the Army National Guard served in Vietnam, including my uncle. After his unit came home to Iowa, almost everyone in the unit got out leaving a lot of vacancies. Men from as far away as Colorado and Chicago enlisted in this unit, which sat at around 200% strength till the Vietnam was was over. The idea was that since the unit had already been deployed, it was extra safe .

Chief, National Guard Bureau FY 1968 report:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...j8d03ZA&cad=rja

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

SimonCat posted:

Not quite that bad, but helicopter operator's manuals and check lists must be updated by removing the old pages and adding the new ones. No cutting and pasting though.

Also, the reserve component not being used in Vietnam led directly to the situation today where the National Guard and Army Reserve units are regularly rotated into combat theaters. There are several reasons for this. One is that National Guard troops have much closer ties to their communities, so the people in them have a more direct stake and support for the war. Another is that it's cheaper to use Guardsmen and Reservists as they are only on duty for around 40 days a year outside of their deployments (This number varies by type of unit and whether they are getting ready to deploy or not). Third, it doesn't make sense to spend a lot of money for a reserve component if it's never going to be used. After Vietnam, it was decided that either the Guard would have to play a more active role or it would be a greatly diminished and non-deployable force.

There is also the fact that if you served in the Guard during Vietnam, you couldn't be drafted and your chances of being deployed were basically nil. In 1968 the Army National Guard had 389,000 members. Around 6,000 members of the Army National Guard served in Vietnam, including my uncle. After his unit came home to Iowa, almost everyone in the unit got out leaving a lot of vacancies. Men from as far away as Colorado and Chicago enlisted in this unit, which sat at around 200% strength till the Vietnam was was over. The idea was that since the unit had already been deployed, it was extra safe .

Chief, National Guard Bureau FY 1968 report:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...j8d03ZA&cad=rja

:allears:

I love these insights into how other armies work.

In comparison, the German reserve force is quite boring. They meet a couple times a year to exercise and that's it. In peace time they basically don't exist. Our reserve will only ever get relevant after an actual for real declaration of war happens and we have to mobilize. I've heard stories that it was a bit more exciting duing the Cold War, due to large-scale NATO exercises happening more often, but I'm not sure if reserve forces took even part in those exercises or if I misremember things.

On the Dienstvorschriften-thing, sometimes when larger parts had to be replaced, we of course also replaced pages. Or just straight-up got an entirely new version of the book. Most of the time though, it was stuff like a single sentence or word which needed to be replaced somewhere. Then it was time for scissors and glue.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

The modern USN takes damage control way more seriously. They have schools where sailors have to learn how to do damage control under realistic conditions which are colloquially described as "ships that sink every day". I had a Royal Navy flag officer tell me in all earnesty that it was amazing and that the RN had nothing like that, and that this was a Bad Thing.

I think maybe that RN guy's not very up to date, since apparently the RN does indeed have a dedicated practical damage control simulator.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Yvonmukluk posted:

I think maybe that RN guy's not very up to date, since apparently the RN does indeed have a dedicated practical damage control simulator.

All hail the WATER CABINET

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

chitoryu12 posted:

All hail the HER MAJESTY'S WATER CABINET

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Whatever you do, don't confuse it with the water closet.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Phanatic posted:

Does the RN still have Perisher or has that gone the way of the rest of their navy?

Perisher still exists but that's not nearly the same thing.

VanSandman posted:

I want to know about the ships that sink every day.

It's a building full of replicated ship compartments and among other things that happen, they flood them to simulate a ship sinking.

EDIT: Yeah, beaten by hogmartin.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Feb 17, 2017

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I'm 30 pages in and this is the nerdiest thing I've ever seen.

e: tl;tr:

quote:

The exact solution is tedious

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Feb 17, 2017

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
a japanese riot from the 1960s

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

HEY GAIL posted:

great color composition in this shot

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Nebakenezzer posted:

great color composition in this shot
and look at the framing of the flags and pikes. it's the most beautiful photo i have seen this week. reminds me of renaissance battle scenes.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Pretty sure that's a Ran movie

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
So the rioters are using pikes while the police have legionnaire shields and short clubs? I wonder who won?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
in addition to looking cool as heck, it really is a perfect test of some of the things i think about regularly

edit: look at the gloves on the pikemens' hands, these guys have thought about what they're doing

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

HEY GAIL posted:

This is this most amazing picture of a riot I have ever seen, I wish all protesters in my country were as organized as a tercio

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

hogmartin posted:

BRB, booking my next birthday party.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Animal posted:

This is this most amazing picture of a riot I have ever seen, I wish all protesters in my country were as organized as a tercio

:same:

Mainly because they might mellow on the molotovs.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

thank you thank you thank you

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

HEY GAIL posted:

Live action Jin Roh remake looking good

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

The first thing to look up is probably the USS Forrestal disaster. The tl;dr is that it was an incident where an aircraft carrier stationed off of Vietnam suffered a devestating fire that nearly destroyed the ship, in part due to atrophied DC practices in the aftermath of World War II. The event precipitated a renewed effort in the Navy to create and sustain good DC practices, and is still used as a case study in DC training today.

There's a great book on the Forrestal fire: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00188V7Y6/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

It's just $3 on Kindle, no reason not to buy it. It's very in depth and a fantastic story of how damage control could go wrong and how it could go better. I highly recommend. As with all books I recommend, I issue my standing offer - if you buy it, read it, and feel it wasted your time, I'll paypal you the price of the book.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
IJN 12cm AA Rocket Launcher

Apparently, these were installed on battleships (Yamato) and on some carriers (Unryu-class and Shokaku-class carriers, among others).

quote:

The Type 5 fuze would cause the rockets to burst at about 600m altitude, and a 28-rocket ripple salvo would create a cloud of these burning pellets. The Navy regarded this weapon as effective both for its visible effect and as being particularly useful against dive bombers.

Rikugun: Volume 2 is a really friggin' good book if you want to see what the Japanese had on hand in WW2, including mine detectors, radios, artillery, rifles, aa directors, and more.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
And so the bullet hell genre was born.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

MikeCrotch posted:

Live action Jin Roh remake looking good
Jin-Roh is actually a prequel to a bunch of live action movies by Mamoru Oshii.

The movies are loving weird, but sadly don't have any riot tercios.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Nenonen posted:

And so the bullet hell genre was born.

"The armament on Shinano was quite different from that of her sister vessels due to her conversion. As the carrier was designed for a support role, significant anti-aircraft weaponry was installed on the vessel: sixteen 12.7 cm (5.0 in) guns, one hundred and twenty-five 25 mm (0.98 in) anti-aircraft guns, and three hundred and thirty-six 5-inch (13 cm) anti-aircraft rocket launchers in twelve twenty-eight barrel turrets. None of these guns were ever used against an enemy vessel or aircraft."

:black101:

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
i just found this threads next topic:

actual book, available on kindle.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Welp, guess its time to test how sharp my k98 bayo is on my wrists.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Mycroft Holmes posted:

dear friend, you have no idea
https://www.reddit.com/r/ShitWehraboosSay/comments/4u0l74/deep_operations_trotskylvania_reviews_furred/
https://www.reddit.com/r/ShitWehraboosSay/comments/4ujtp1/deep_operations_part_zwei_trotskylvania_continues/
https://www.reddit.com/r/ShitWehraboosSay/comments/4vr2jd/deep_operations_part_3_trotskylvania_descends/
https://www.reddit.com/r/ShitWehraboosSay/comments/4yau9h/deep_operations_part_4_len_gilberts_love_note_to/

he's got a blog
http://furredreichblog.com/
dislikes: gay people, feminists

edit: he's apparently been into white power since the 90s, which would make him older than he seems
edit 2: i just clicked on the second link and there's graphic descriptions of rape in which the victim is blamed for "enjoying it," if you have ptsd watch out

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Feb 17, 2017

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Mycroft Holmes posted:

The Nazis were against race mixing

fortunately, she's a whole 'nother species :shepicide:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

4/5 posted:

The plot is about a world of furries being invaded by an army of troll like monsters called Grimeskins. (spoilers) the Grimeskins need women and that's why they're invading and raping all the furries. So someone somewhere comes up with the idea to teleport Nazis from earth to fight these invaders.

Ah, of course.

Apparently he's inspired by The Forgotten Soldier.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Feb 17, 2017

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Get that pathetic poo poo out of here ASAP.

Libluini posted:

I don't know about NATO equivalent, but the Hauptfeldwebel is a First Sergeant in the USA :mil101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Doing a Google image search for that lead to a side-result of learning about Savitri Devi and her book "The Lightning and the Sun", written in 1958 and dedicated to "To the god-like Individual of our times; the Man against Time; the greatest European of all times; both Sun and Lightning: Adolf Hitler, as a tribute of unfailing love and loyalty, for ever and ever."