Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I see the CineD interpretation as a fun alternative reading of the movies, but it really can't just be me wanting to see this right?
That is bumblebee going for Optimus's face with a hammer, getting slapped away and the next try being a overhead swing aimed at Optimus's face again.

Zedd fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Feb 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Are they planning on revealing what in the absolute holy balls the Nazi Buckingham Palace stuff has to do with anything, or will we have to wait until release date to see what the hell that's all about?

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

God drat I'm ready

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Are they planning on revealing what in the absolute holy balls the Nazi Buckingham Palace stuff has to do with anything, or will we have to wait until release date to see what the hell that's all about?

I hope not. I hope it still makes no sense on multiple rewatches. I hope we just randomly cut to Nazis exploding for a few minutes.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Snowman_McK posted:

I hope not. I hope it still makes no sense on multiple rewatches. I hope we just randomly cut to Nazis exploding for a few minutes.

Violence against Nazis is trending again.

I hope we get a couple of WW2 vehicle Transformers too.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I would kill for Crosshairs as a Sherman.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Extended Superbowl spot with a few more scenes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpb8mYxgdJQ

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Transformers is the first film in Megatron's arc, where he is 'just' a totalitarian. The point is absolutely that he is equally bad as Optimus, but worse at marketing himself.

To be clear: Megatron is not a true good guy until partways through Episode 3, though he remains the underdog throughout the series.

How is he the underdog in the first one?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

UmOk posted:

How is he the underdog in the first one?

Like, in the basic sense that he's an escaped science experiment up against the combined forces of the entire United States and Prime's autobots.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Like, in the basic sense that he's an escaped science experiment up against the combined forces of the entire United States and Prime's autobots.

After his unfreezing he seems to have the upper hand on all those dudes. Like he tears autobots in half and beats Optimus down. He is only foiled when a teenager disobeys his Prime-daddy and chest rapes him with a box.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Dinobot Babies!

https://www.facebook.com/transformersmovie/videos/1290464580988986/

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
plot twist: optimus prime devours them for sustenance

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Remember that time a transformer ripped his own soul out so his body could be cannibalized to make wings for Optimus Prime.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

General Battuta posted:

Remember that time a transformer ripped his own soul out so his body could be cannibalized to make wings for Optimus Prime.

Wings that fell off five minutes later.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

General Battuta posted:

Rhyno posted:

Wings that fell off five minutes later.

Which weren't even picked up when Optimus decided he needed wings again in the third film.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Milky Moor posted:

Which weren't even picked up when Optimus decided he needed wings again in the third film.

I mean, it's possible they built his trailer out of Jetfire's corpse right?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Rhyno posted:

I mean, it's possible they built his trailer out of Jetfire's corpse right?

How very Warhammer 40k.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

ungulateman posted:

plot twist: optimus prime devours them for sustenance

Guest director Cronenberg for this scene

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I need that flight pack
To sell more toys

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
Can a fine Cinema Discusso Analyst please tell me the importance of the shot where a giant robot scorpion emerges out of nowhere and tears off a old guy's chest.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

SirDrone posted:

Can a fine Cinema Discusso Analyst please tell me the importance of the shot where a giant robot scorpion emerges out of nowhere and tears off a old guy's chest.

Marxism and feudalism.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

SirDrone posted:

Facial Recognition Software hadn't finished calibrating yet.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

SirDrone posted:

It's a robot scorpion in the middle east that arrives on a simulacrum of a Sikorsky MH-53 with a hologram pilot standing in for the dead crew. Just as with Megatron being a proxy of Mikaela's dad, Scorponok is a proxy of these soldiers returning from the dead.

Be careful: dismissive apathy will cloud your vision and confuse you that disliking something is the same as appraising its quality. The film is its own defense, for everything else, there's criticism. Criticism requires accuracy.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I'm pretty sure the scorpion is chasing them because they took a picture or saw too much, right? And it's defeated by the air support they call in by cell phone while hiding in a village? And there's some kind of subplot about the decepticons tapping military networks. There's all sorts of poo poo about the inversion of American power. Kind of makes sense in a movie where the villains want to awaken our machines and products.

By the end of the fourth one Megatron has been re-manufactured as a product by a corporation, complete with iannic chest hole to devour and break Optimus' sword. I wonder what that means

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Not officially confirmed, but it appears Optimus was talking to a Quintesson in the Superbowl trailer, based on this voice actor's profile.

https://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/more-support-for-transformers-the-last-knight-the-maker-identity/37320/

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
It's gonna end with Unicron and the next one will have Primus. Two planet sized Tranformer Gods fighting it out.

I'd have loved to see a well done Fortress Maximus and Autobot City hold off a world invasion.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

General Battuta posted:

I'm pretty sure the scorpion is chasing them because they took a picture or saw too much, right? And it's defeated by the air support they call in by cell phone while hiding in a village? And there's some kind of subplot about the decepticons tapping military networks. There's all sorts of poo poo about the inversion of American power. Kind of makes sense in a movie where the villains want to awaken our machines and products.

By the end of the fourth one Megatron has been re-manufactured as a product by a corporation, complete with iannic chest hole to devour and break Optimus' sword. I wonder what that means

It also establishes a way in which the humans can harm the robots in the future (Sabot rounds) which got around the initial established invincibility of them.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Should have made copper EFPs their one weakness.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Gatts posted:

It's gonna end with Unicron and the next one will have Primus. Two planet sized Tranformer Gods fighting it out.

I'd have loved to see a well done Fortress Maximus and Autobot City hold off a world invasion.

There is no Primus in the films. How could there be?

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
this thread is a solid case for movies not being art.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Mr. Unlucky posted:

this thread is a solid case for movies not being art.

everything is art

even posting on something awful is art

except your post

because it's bad

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

quote:

Let’s return to Megatron, because this scene is one of those that have shown an important progression throughout the trilogy. Let’s take a closer look at Megatron’s actual design.

I’ll be using the toys for this, because the designers of the smaller toys actually knew what they were doing, and exaggerated a lot of very subtle design cues present in the movie models to be more clearly visible.

The first movie’s Megatron is nothing short of angelic. In his big shot in the first movie, he had an actual halo and was surrounded by clouds – and his toy actually adds literal wings. He’s hardly the friendly image of a Renaissance angel, but then again, neither is the actual Metatron, who is described as “a pillar of fire with 36 wings and innumerable eyes”. In a sense, first movie Megatron presents a mixture of a Renaissance angel, a biblical angel, a skeleton and the usual spiky, monstrous look of the Decepticons. His altmode, meanwhile, does not resemble anything – it’s a completely utilitarian flight mode. Even his head is still visible, crowned atop the unusual form.

The second film’s Megatron presents a strange departure from this. After his unnatural marriage with Scrapper, who has become a pair of massive, weighty, treaded feet, all of the elegance of his original form was lost. Megatron 2 is bulky, clumsy, and does not have a hint of the angelic – notice, while the core shape is not too dissimilar, his wings are gone. Even his altmode is now this curled-up, turtle-like thing that looks more like him retreating into a shell than an actual spacecraft. His head is still visible, but now it’s crouched below, as though he was trying to hide it away. He looks almost scared, which is only too fitting, considering the second time he transformed, it was during the Airstrike at the end of the movie. Even the gleaming icy silver-blue has been replaced by a much more muted colour, here for some reason represented by bright green. Megatron 2 is the very image of a fallen angel, clipped wings and darkened heart. However, the bony image from before has gone away in favour of a much more muscular build – more than just being a pair of legs, Scrapper’s parts have given Megs a much more workmanlike appearance in general.
But then there’s another odd little detail... His hips appear to have widened, while his shoulders and waist narrowed. Huh?

And then we get to DOTM. Finally, Megatron is forced to adopt an actual earth mode – not for ideological reasons or politeness, but simply because he actually has to hide. He wears a tarp over his head and shoulder, a sort of second layer of cloth – but again, for purely utilitarian reasons, simply to protect his grievous wounds from the elements. He’s rusted and gnarly, and having an earthmode, his head has completely disappeared from the alt-mode’s appearance. And, well.
He’s a truck. He ended up choosing nearly the same alt-mode as his nemesis, the man who instigated his murder, Optimus Prime. But in spite of taking on the same symbol, it means something very different this time. After all, Optimus’ truck mode is a lie – he’s not a blue collar worker of any sort. But Megatron? Well, remember, he still carries Scrapper’s remains with him – in a sense, he has become a Constructicon himself. In that sense, his truck mode is every bit as genuine as all the other Decepticons’ uniforms - well, all others except Soundwave. Megatron has allowed himself one little lie, however – in his self-loathing desire to paint himself an unapproachable and amoral, he took on the form of an oil tanker. But it’s not fossil fuel he transports, not a substance mired in death and misery – but food, life.
And this is where things go a little nuts. Notice, his hips have widened even further, while his shoulders and waist became even thinner. Although he has become even more obviously muscular, his body steeled by its constant punishment, he now has an actual bizarre hourglass figure. He’s staying at home, raising and caring for his children, while Soundwave and Starscream are out doing things. Megatron has been feminized – again, remember the transgender/intersex imagery of Devastator, whose legacy Megatron carries. He’s also a Mack truck – the same company that made Mixmaster’s alt mode, whose logo is a dog – so now Megatron has officially, fully become a bitch.
In fact, if we take another look at his movie model, we can also see ano

MMMMIIIIIIICCCCCCHHHHHAAAAAEEEELLLLL BBBBBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!:argh::argh::argh:

I just want to mention this post by Terry again because Megatron's new vehicle mode was revealed in toy form.

https://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/possible-transformers-the-last-knight-megatron-prototype-images-surface/37350/

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Feb 17, 2017

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Oh poo poo. Megatron is going to ascend and reclaim his angelic nature. He will be redeemed and maybe even the hero. Prime the villain he always was deep down. I would love it if Mark Whalberg asks the Quintessons (they have to be in the movie, have to) why and how they turned him only for them to say "Uhh we didn't do anything. He is how he is. A dick."

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRmRMnVULs8&t=539s

It's pretty funny seeing people reach the same conclusions regarding transformers, as a joke

(spine spine spine)

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Be aware that a bunch of new toys have been revealed at Toyfair and they might spoil the movie as toys have been known to do. Alternatively, a couple of these toy characters might not even be in the movie.

https://www.seibertron.com/transfor...otoyfair/37373/

Possible movie-relevant details:

- Megatron's new alt mode as shown above but painted this time. It sort of resembles a Blackbird like Jetfire from Revenge of The Fallen. Jetfire defected from Decepticons to the Autobots like the original Jetfire, but also like the current comic book Megatron.

-There is not one, but two dragons. One has 3 heads like the one we already saw in the poster and trailer, imaginatively named "Dragonfire". The other one is single-headed Steelbane, and his robot mode resembles a Warcraft character.

And guess who won the Prime vote.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Finally got around to re-watching Revenge of the Fallen. I hated it when I first saw it but now I think it might be the best of the series. It's like the Bible with robomen.

Ostiosis
Nov 3, 2002

UmOk posted:

Finally got around to re-watching Revenge of the Fallen. I hated it when I first saw it but now I think it might be the best of the series. It's like the Bible with robomen.

I love all the unique designs on the robots, and stuff like Optimus leaving out "This is not your planet to rule" when he plays back "The fallen will rise again."

Did Terry ever post anything about Age of Extinction? I love that the beginning of AOE mirrors ROTF, only the government agency is executing an Autobot instead of a Decepticon, and how in the beginning in Cade's garage Optimus mirrors Megatron down to the damaged face, and he's using Megatrons gun. Also, most of the remaining Autobots seem to absolutely hate each other.

"I'm a fat ballerina who takes scalps and slits throats!"

Ostiosis fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Feb 23, 2017

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Ostiosis posted:

I love all the unique designs on the robots

I hated Jetfires design when I first saw the movie years ago. Now that I realized that he is Robo-Moses it makes so much more sense.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ostiosis posted:

I love all the unique designs on the robots, and stuff like Optimus leaving out "This is not your planet to rule" when he plays back "The fallen will rise again."

Did Terry ever post anything about Age of Extinction? I love that the beginning of AOE mirrors ROTF, only the government agency is executing an Autobot instead of a Decepticon, and how in the beginning in Cade's garage Optimus mirrors Megatron down to the damaged face, and he's using Megatrons gun. Also, most of the remaining Autobots seem to absolutely hate each other.

"I'm a fat ballerina who takes scalps and slits throats!"

Terry has not posted in this thread since July '14. I feel like it's done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
He's answered a PM from me or two but 700-page essays do not grow on trees.
It's too bad, I liked Terry's perspectives and how she was still respectful of others opinions.