Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I don't know what that means, but it sure was all over my page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Wait hold on I think I can do this too

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Adiabatic posted:

Wait hold on I think I can do this too

So what you're saying is he is practicing his embroidery, right?

Edit: I'm on pins and needles :haw:

Goober Peas fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Feb 16, 2017

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
:cripes: oh my god

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I wuv you boo boo :cheeky:

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 213 days!)

spog posted:

How much did you pay for those? Seriously <$1,000 each?

The Imapals, yes. I paid a bit more for the Dodge, because of MY INNER REDNECK.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

West SAAB Story posted:

I went ford and you went dodge. Its gonna get cold tonight...

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

cursedshitbox posted:

I went ford and you went dodge. Its gonna get cold tonight...

Meh- I've got my 16 spark plugs in the Dodge to keep me warm. I now have 8 vehicles in under 1/4 acre.

Edit: ..and only one in the driveway. :banjo:

West SAAB Story fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Feb 16, 2017

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

This is your new life.

You're welcome.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

IOwnCalculus posted:

This is your new life.

You're welcome.

You retired? Interested in another project? I've got a B204 that needs a HG..

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

West SAAB Story posted:

No word of a lie: if I knew that were possible, I'd have considered the US as the next career port of call

If it weren't for that orange baboon situation, that is

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Mango Mussolini

Herr Gropenfurher.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
I'm partial to Cheeto Benito

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Midnight oil global tour gently caress yes!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

LloydDobler posted:

I first went to college in 1989. They taught us everything in metric and imperial because we'd be switching to the metric system "any day now".

beep-beep car is go posted:

I still have an awesome old 1970's "Here comes the metric system" pocket converter for when "the metric system comes in the next decade"

Graduated high school in '88. Can confirm both of these.

cursedshitbox posted:

Goon manboobs in this chat.

Item L:

a mementos to never go full retard again.
3/8-16 threads, 12mm 12pt head

Has to be from a Rover.

fake edit: missed the bit about Rover just above. So, yeah.

BraveUlysses posted:

what? fireworks are legal all over the US

Not in most cities/urban/populated/not BFE areas, even in Texas. Several cities around DFW, it's not only illegal to fire them, it's illegal to *possess* them. Like, if you're taking them through the city to somewhere else to fire them off, they can arrest and/or fine you (which I don't think is strictly legal, but who's going to fight it?)

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Herr Gropenfurher.

God, I love that one.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
HA! I found one of those hoodies in grey!

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

It is illegal to possess fireworks in all of Mass. Every year around July 4th they catch people bringing them in from New Hampshire :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Seriously thinking about getting back into photography since the security thing is getting stale and is not very lucrative.

Anyone ever get out of self employment and then back in again?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BigPaddy posted:

It is illegal to possess fireworks in all of Mass. Every year around July 4th they catch people bringing them in from New Hampshire :v:

Which is why you stock up a month early.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Rhyno posted:

Which is why you stock up a month early.

Or a month late and hope they don't go bad

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Beetle update: he drank water on his own just now. Apparently only a little, but E says he did.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Beetle update: he drank water on his own just now. Apparently only a little, but E says he did.

:3:

Pull through, little buddy.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Hope he recovers!

BigPaddy posted:

Like Rhyno said, this is why I just go to NH a month early before they start stop&searching at the border :haw:

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Seriously thinking about getting back into photography since the security thing is getting stale and is not very lucrative.

Anyone ever get out of self employment and then back in again?

How do you make money with photography? 10 years ago it seemed like every 20 year old d-bag had a camera and was doing wedding/portrait stuff. Genuine question.

Don't wait to break up with your girlfriend.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

spog posted:

No word of a lie: if I knew that were possible, I'd have considered the US as the next career port of call

If it weren't for that orange baboon situation, that is

Ex-cop cars are delicious and inexpensive. I got my Vic for a third of what a Subie with the same mileage goes for here.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Cage posted:

How do you make money with photography? 10 years ago it seemed like every 20 year old d-bag had a camera and was doing wedding/portrait stuff. Genuine question.

I think this Saturday is go-time. He has a u-haul on reserve and everything.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Cage posted:

Definitely not. But I can't take a cat with me, and I'll be much happier knowing he's doing better when I go.

Could still get worse, of course.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Cage posted:

Funny enough, I pretty much ended it about ten years ago for that reason. I was a freelancer at the time doing mostly sports photography, contracted by a local studio as well as a national stock agency and had lots of work. I started out with film and made the transition into digital, then watched the whole industry collapse basically. I got out of it when most of my local contract work dried up due to an over saturated market.

It seems (at least the market around here) that the "digital revolution" has kinda calmed down, and there might be room for me now to make some money again. Now I can do video and still simultaneously, and get a cheap but effective LED setup for lighting and start shooting for not much out of pocket, already have portfolio, would just have to get myself out there again. It would be a big step so it's something I'll have to think about for awhile.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So her dad had this dog and as it turns out, his widow can't keep the dog. Her oldest daughter is in college, her youngest is going to a private school and she's going to go stay in DC with her sister for a time. So the dog needs a new home. We're gonna go get him in a few days and take him to my mom's to see if he can live alongside her dog. I didn't expect to have a constant reminder of her dad every time I went to my mom's house but hey, this is how things shake out.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

For reference, the average rainfall during an entire year in Los Angeles area is 15in. Over the last six years we averaged like 8in/year. Tomorrow is going to rule

Local news status:

:getin:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
5 inches? drat.

Glad SoCal is getting some of this crap. Sacramento has been getting hosed lately with all the rain. Wish some of it would stay as snow instead of rain. We'll need it to sustain water levels into summer.

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cdecapp/resapp/getResGraphsMain.action

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Fellow engineers/machinists: if someone asked you to chase through some threads or a hole, you'd understand what they meant, right? Because apparently several experienced people have never heard the term, and now I'm wondering if it's some kind of regional oddity.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Here in Canada it means clean out/up threads with a tap or die.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I'm not an engineer or machinist and I understand the term. You may be working with people who pretend they have certain experience in engineering/machining.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Olympic Mathlete posted:

You may be working with people who pretend they have certain experience in engineering/machining.

Engineering students? :v:

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

My 2017 Raptor quest is going about as expected.

1. Half the dealers in Vegas will take an order at MSRP but according to the other half of the dealers in Vegas it means you'll be about 40th on the list and unlikely to get one this year. The other half of the dealers say they'll order one at MSRP + 5k and think your order will get built within the next 2 months.

2. Dealer in Phoenix supposedly has 4 Raptors on the lot and 4 more on the way. Called them and talked and then started corresponding via email. They said they'd sell me one for MSRP. Told them to send me a purchase agreement and we'll get this thing going. Sent me a credit app. Told them I wasn't filling out a credit app until we had a purchase agreement signed, and forwarded them my Bank of America approval. They said sure and that they'd send me the purchase agreement. That was 36 hours ago and haven't heard from them since. Which is exactly what I expected, because if they were selling them at MSRP they wouldn't have any. Especially in AZ and being that close to CA. From looking at their window stickers it looks like they're buying them from out of state dealers in which case they obviously can't/won't sell them for MSRP since they already paid at least MSRP (and probably more).

3. I'm currently high bidder on eBay on two different Raptors in the midwest at ~500 over MSRP but still reserve not met. The last Raptor on eBay that finished was at about 1000 over MSRP (and was also a nearly loaded truck, so MSRP was about 72,000) but didn't hit reserve. The last couple that have actually sold, sold for about 2500 or 3000 over MSRP. People looking for more than 5k over MSRP don't seem to be having any luck at all.

I'm not super picky on color (no black, no silver, anything else is fine), or options (I'm happy as long as it has the 802A package, which almost all of them do), so there's no real need to custom order one. I've got a roadtrip coming up in May that I'd like to take it on, but if I can't get one for MSRP or close before then, I'll probably just wait and order a 2018. Supposedly 2017 Raptor production is going to be higher than any other year's production and I do think V6 prejudice has also impacted the demand somewhat, so I think I'll be able to, at worst, order a 2018 for MSRP 6 months from now or so.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yeah, I've always used it, and had it used, in reference to cleaning up threads, and by extension used with similar meaning to things like holes and machined channels. Someone just says "chase that through", and you give it a once over to take out any crap or slight deformation etc, but you're not remachining it or reaming it out per se.

I've just never thought about it, it's just one of those terms people use, and was surprised at several people not understanding.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I'm not an engineer or machinist and I understand the term. You may be working with people who pretend they have certain experience in engineering/machining.

Exactly, I'm in IT and even I know what it means to chase a thread.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

scrubs season six posted:

Words about dealers

This reminds me a lot about Hellcats in 2015 and 2016. When I was looking for my Scat Pack they would try to upsell you of course but would only sell Hellcats at MRSP and even tried to put more on top due to "shortages" and would bump my order up if I went for their preferred finance, took a lifetime warranty etc...

Under a year later and the dealer I got my SP from has 8 Hellcats on the lots and my salesman has called a couple of times offering deals on them to trade my SP in.

Edit: just took a look at their site and they have this Scat Pack Shaker

http://www.herbchamberschryslerofdanvers.com/new/Dodge/2016-Dodge-Challenger-08f856360a0e0ae75cec617fec62a5aa.htm

That was on the lot last May when I went looking and still not sold as they refused to drop the price. I offered them more than they have it listed for now :v:

BigPaddy fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Feb 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

BigPaddy posted:

This reminds me a lot about Hellcats in 2015 and 2016. When I was looking for my Scat Pack they would try to upsell you of course but would only sell Hellcats at MRSP and even tried to put more on top due to "shortages" and would bump my order up if I went for their preferred finance, took a lifetime warranty etc...

Under a year later and the dealer I got my SP from has 8 Hellcats on the lots and my salesman has called a couple of times offering deals on them to trade my SP in.

Edit: just took a look at their site and they have this Scat Pack Shaker

http://www.herbchamberschryslerofdanvers.com/new/Dodge/2016-Dodge-Challenger-08f856360a0e0ae75cec617fec62a5aa.htm

That was on the lot last May when I went looking and still not sold as they refused to drop the price. I offered them more than they have it listed for now :v:

Scat packs are great deals. Definitely the sweet spot in terms of performance value.

I'm in Reno and it's basically the worst location on the planet for car buying. How about 30 grand over MSRP for a leftover 2016 Hellcat? http://www.renododge.com/new/Dodge/2016-Dodge-Challenger-e84c12670a0e0a174ce2c9b75317eb06.htm

And the Ford dealer will happily charge you 10 grand over MSRP for a Raptor where you will get put on their list which is already longer than their number of allocations. They have 82 total F-150s right now and 55 of them are leftover 2016s. Gee, I wonder why.

We get all the downside of being close to Californians with too much money, and none of the upside of Vegas or Phoenix where at least they have a shitload of dealers competing with each other.

• Locked thread