Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I just want to know if some of the regular actors will return for this game like Paul Eiding or Roy Campbell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Kojima cutscenes as a service?

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

"Not going anywhere for a while?"

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i guess the house abandon is getting another game like it? it seemed pretty bad when i played it, people got stuck on the exact same spots as i did

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Relin posted:

i guess the house abandon is getting another game like it? it seemed pretty bad when i played it, people got stuck on the exact same spots as i did

Was that the one with the house that eats or the computer?

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

GlyphGryph posted:

Was that the one with the house that eats or the computer?

Text adventure.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

the house abandon had a couple of fun gimmicks but it was really dumb and trite overall. Never got stuck but I guess I got lucky with guessing the text input, thinking back some of it was v specific

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It was a 15 minute free thing, it was effective for what it was. The only thing I got stuck on, and probably 99% of people playing the game blind, was the backyard because the game specifically wanted a noun when a good text parser would've recognized something like "go back."

As a proof of concept I would love seeing it expanded as a Gone Home esque thing where you're a kid home alone during a storm playing this game no one heard of that you bought off Yahoo Auction or something. Occasionally you have to get off the computer to check something out because your house is interacting with the game.

poo poo now I'm thinking about The Gate. Goddamn do I love The Gate. Portals to hell are criminallyy underused in games.

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

al-azad posted:

It was a 15 minute free thing, it was effective for what it was. The only thing I got stuck on, and probably 99% of people playing the game blind, was the backyard because the game specifically wanted a noun when a good text parser would've recognized something like "go back."

As a proof of concept I would love seeing it expanded as a Gone Home esque thing where you're a kid home alone during a storm playing this game no one heard of that you bought off Yahoo Auction or something. Occasionally you have to get off the computer to check something out because your house is interacting with the game.

poo poo now I'm thinking about The Gate. Goddamn do I love The Gate. Portals to hell are criminallyy underused in games.

I'd play that.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

IF I have the option of buying RE7 for either PS4 or Xbox 1, are there any advantages of one system over the other?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Pretty sure there's video comparisons of graphical quality out there but if you don't have a PSVR or a PS4 Pro it should be about the same. There's no unique content.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The DLC is also out for PS4 while the rest of us have to wait, if you care about that.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Is it possible to beat Jack in the garage without the car? It seems kind of lame that after too long he just hops in the car and murders you.

e: Okay, turns out it'll eventually end if you manage to avoid him long enough.

That sequence kind of drove home an issue I have with conflict in horror games. It begins by offering the player a gun so naturally you expect to use it and that it would be effective. Nope on that, and Jack even taunts you for shooting him. So inevitably I died and the game's splash screen tells me to look around for clues on beating Jack. Well on the second try I find the keys and fight him as normal but what happens? He drives the loving car. Third try I'm scanning the area. It's detailed enough to present a ton of obstacles like a hanging motorcycle danging by chains I think I can shoot, some containers that would explode in any other Resident Evil, but above all the car's tires can be shot out which provides positive feedback but doesn't actually do anything. Fourth try I realize I can actually get into the drat car.

Ultimately it's a small scene but it defies everything you'd expect from a video game and most of all a Resident Evil game. And maybe that was the point, to establish the "rules" as they were but for this one moment I was ripped out of the game in an unpleasant way.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Feb 15, 2017

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
When i played I didn't even know the car thing was supposed to be dangerous. When he pulled me out of the seat and started getting in himself, i thought it was a great opportunity to knife him for a bit, so i ended up staying at his side at all times while he slammed the car impotently back and forth for a while. Heavily scripted games get silly when your not playing the particular prescribed way.

woodenchicken fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Feb 15, 2017

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

al-azad posted:

Is it possible to beat Jack in the garage without the car? It seems kind of lame that after too long he just hops in the car and murders you.

e: Okay, turns out it'll eventually end if you manage to avoid him long enough.

That sequence kind of drove home an issue I have with conflict in horror games. It begins by offering the player a gun so naturally you expect to use it and that it would be effective. Nope on that, and Jack even taunts you for shooting him. So inevitably I died and the game's splash screen tells me to look around for clues on beating Jack. Well on the second try I find the keys and fight him as normal but what happens? He drives the loving car. Third try I'm scanning the area. It's detailed enough to present a ton of obstacles like a hanging motorcycle danging by chains I think I can shoot, some containers that would explode in any other Resident Evil, but above all the car's tires can be shot out which provides positive feedback but doesn't actually do anything. Fourth try I realize I can actually get into the drat car.

Ultimately it's a small scene but it defies everything you'd expect from a video game and most of all a Resident Evil game. And maybe that was the point, to establish the "rules" as they were but for this one moment I was ripped out of the game in an unpleasant way.

Didn't even know that was an option. Like woodenchicken, I just knifed and shot him. I got the car keys after the scene was over and have been carrying them around since, wondering what they're for.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

woodenchicken posted:

When i played I didn't even know the car thing was supposed to be dangerous. When he pulled me out of the seat and started getting in himself, i thought it was a great opportunity to knife him for a bit, so i ended up staying at his side at all times while he slammed the car impotently back and forth for a while. Heavily scripted games get silly when your not playing the particular prescribed way.

Is that where the gif of him spinning slow donuts is from? I thought it was some kind of mod.

FastestGunAlive posted:

Didn't even know that was an option. Like woodenchicken, I just knifed and shot him. I got the car keys after the scene was over and have been carrying them around since, wondering what they're for.

I'm surprised there isn't some sort of achievement for that.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I didn't even know that you could successfully start the car and run him over. Every early launch LP or stream I saw had the player try to get in and be thrown out by Jack. When I did it just thinking I was progressing the fight, he was on the opposite side of the car and couldn't get over to me in time.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

chitoryu12 posted:

I didn't even know that you could successfully start the car and run him over. Every early launch LP or stream I saw had the player try to get in and be thrown out by Jack. When I did it just thinking I was progressing the fight, he was on the opposite side of the car and couldn't get over to me in time.

I'm pretty sure there's some law along the lines of Godwin that all early streamers are poo poo.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

chitoryu12 posted:

Yeah his path finding at that part is really really bad. Dude spent a good amount of time swinging his whatever the gently caress over a table but I was out of range. Didn't move or anything just swing, swing, swing

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account
On Easy/Normal I found it trivial to get into to car and run him over. On Madhouse, supposedly you can too, but I was never able to - I got to the car, but he always grabbed me and threw me out.

On a seperate note, I just did a Resource Manager/Walk It Off combined run. Kind of fun juggling all the crap, but it's a pain because the game pretty much forces you to use up all 3 box items as part of play - Going into Lucas game, leaving Lucas game, and after the ship is done. So by the time I get to Lucas' game and have to dump everything, I'm carrying the crank, 3 keys, a knife, gun, shotgun, burner, grenade launcher...not much room for anything else

clockworx fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Feb 15, 2017

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Len posted:

Yeah his path finding at that part is really really bad. Dude spent a good amount of time swinging his whatever the gently caress over a table but I was out of range. Didn't move or anything just swing, swing, swing

It might be intentional because otherwise you'd always get yanked out unless you were very lucky to stun him far away or something.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

clockworx posted:

On Easy/Normal I found it trivial to get into to car and run him over. On Madhouse, supposedly you can too, but I was never able to - I got to the car, but he always grabbed me and threw me out.

It's possible but the keys are locked in a box so you have to run behind Jack and get a lockpick before you unlock the box and get them, it adds extra time and because Jack's a ton faster there's a good chance he'll catch you and throw you out of the car. You basically have to get the keys and kite him to the far side of the car and stun him with a headshot then make a run for the car.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Having seen Prey in action now, I'm fully on-board with it. I especially love the way the enemies look, they manage to look wrong on both an overt and subconscious level. It reminds me of a surreal CGI short I saw on Youtube ages ago (that I can't find, sadly, but trust me when I say it was great).

Any word on whether the rumoured body horror elements are going to make it in with the upgrade system? There was word a while back that you would be able to mutate yourself with your upgrades a la the original proposed system for Bioshock.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Yodzilla posted:

Pretty sure there's video comparisons of graphical quality out there but if you don't have a PSVR or a PS4 Pro it should be about the same. There's no unique content.

s.i.r.e. posted:

The DLC is also out for PS4 while the rest of us have to wait, if you care about that.

Thank you

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Having seen Prey in action now, I'm fully on-board with it. I especially love the way the enemies look, they manage to look wrong on both an overt and subconscious level. It reminds me of a surreal CGI short I saw on Youtube ages ago (that I can't find, sadly, but trust me when I say it was great).

Any word on whether the rumoured body horror elements are going to make it in with the upgrade system? There was word a while back that you would be able to mutate yourself with your upgrades a la the original proposed system for Bioshock.

It reminds me the most of System Shock 2 with the grid inventory system. Either way, it's definitely taking cues from the Shock games and that's a good thing in my book.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

chitoryu12 posted:

It reminds me the most of System Shock 2 with the grid inventory system. Either way, it's definitely taking cues from the Shock games and that's a good thing in my book.

I hear if you scrape the image off the front of the box, it just says System Shock 2 underneath.

Regardless, it looks amazing but I don't really want to support Bethesda's lovely business practices. :negative:

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Do you remember what happened in the short? People in this thread might have seen it.

Also, how do people here feel about this thing?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
It seems like a nice looking, bad playing version of RE4 but with RE1 font everywhere? Daymare: 1998™ is a terrible name and I don't see anything in their mission statement represented in the gameplay videos.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The mechanics are hardcore

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Prey lets you turn into a coffee mug and roll around. GOTY 2017.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Skyscraper posted:

Do you remember what happened in the short? People in this thread might have seen it.

Also, how do people here feel about this thing?

Oh these are the guys who made the UE4 fan demo so it makes total sense their original game looks like RE4.

After being burned on Back to 1995 I don't want to touch anything that evokes the 90s through its title and this game seems to have even less to do with the era. They should've called it Daymare 2005.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

clockworx posted:

On a seperate note, I just did a Resource Manager/Walk It Off combined run. Kind of fun juggling all the crap, but it's a pain because the game pretty much forces you to use up all 3 box items as part of play - Going into Lucas game, leaving Lucas game, and after the ship is done. So by the time I get to Lucas' game and have to dump everything, I'm carrying the crank, 3 keys, a knife, gun, shotgun, burner, grenade launcher...not much room for anything else

This won't help you anymore, but for anyone else doing the 3-Box run, you don't need to use the box after the boat/before the mine. Here are your 3 box uses:

1. Right after the garage fight, to dump that crappy pistol and knife, and to get all your sweet New Game+ loot
2. Put your stuff away for Lucas
3. Take your stuff back out for Lucas

After you finish the boat, you'll be gifted a free grenade launcher, and the mines are filled with remote bombs, flame rounds, and one neuro round.

use the neuro round on the fat molded, and climb the long ladder while it's stunned. You'll obviously be killed by House Eveline, but then you get a "Manage your items" prompt where you get to access your item box for free

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

This won't help you anymore, but for anyone else doing the 3-Box run, you don't need to use the box after the boat/before the mine. Here are your 3 box uses:

1. Right after the garage fight, to dump that crappy pistol and knife, and to get all your sweet New Game+ loot
2. Put your stuff away for Lucas
3. Take your stuff back out for Lucas

After you finish the boat, you'll be gifted a free grenade launcher, and the mines are filled with remote bombs, flame rounds, and one neuro round.

use the neuro round on the fat molded, and climb the long ladder while it's stunned. You'll obviously be killed by House Eveline, but then you get a "Manage your items" prompt where you get to access your item box for free

Thanks - I heard about this, but I ended up doing fine up until Lucas anyways. You end up carrying around a lot of other junk (3 keys + crank) even with your plan.

I don't think I got the rocket launcher after the boat either. I read that you have to avoid getting it in the main house for things to work this way.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Man, I am so bad at this game! I know I shouldn't waste ammo on the molded but they're huge and you moved so slow. It's really reminding me of Revelations where every normal enemy is as strong as the regenerator in RE4 but you basically have infinite ammo in that game. Not so here, not so at all.

e: loving antique coins should not take up an inventory space. Everything else is understandable but not goddamn coins my god.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Feb 17, 2017

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

al-azad posted:

Man, I am so bad at this game! I know I shouldn't waste ammo on the molded but they're huge and you moved so slow. It's really reminding me of Revelations where every normal enemy is as strong as the regenerator in RE4 but you basically have infinite ammo in that game. Not so here, not so at all.

Can't you gently caress them up by shooting their knees ? I've seen people quickly waste them in one or two shots this way but maybe it's a difficulty level thing.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

unpacked robinhood posted:

Can't you gently caress them up by shooting their knees ? I've seen people quickly waste them in one or two shots this way but maybe it's a difficulty level thing.

On normal it's like 4-5 shots to take out their legs at which point they'll do leaping attacks and even if you block they're still chipping away at your finite resources. I find it harder to hit their head on the ground even with the knife.

I find the easiest way to take out a lone molded is to blow away their arm. There's usually enough room to circle strafe on their amputated side and they'll miss every time. It certainly breaks down when there's more than one e.g. the boiler room where three spawn at once and unless you have 2 magazines you're not getting past them. The game basically encourages you to shut the door, wait for them to despawn, then mad dash to the end. I'm sure things will get easier once I get the upgraded pistol and I just got the shotgun but who knows what they'll throw at me.

I'm kind of wavering on the game. They nail the atmosphere and it certainly is a return to survival horror. But the encounter design reminds me of Call of Cthulhu where you're basically designed to fail until you see the trick and can blow through them. And the game sucks at teaching you how to play it. There's no controls list so I didn't know you could quick turn until reading it online (and then the tool tips let me know 3 hours in). And I think you can riposte if you time your blocks, again a tool tip that pops up randomly.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
It's easiest to hit them on the ground if you yourself are crouching (same with trying to shoot the spidery guys). Hide behind corners to prevent them from leaping on you. Only use the aimed stab.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

chitoryu12 posted:

Prey lets you turn into a coffee mug and roll around. GOTY 2017.

What? Hahahha. I've not followed anything about Prey, but now I think I HAVE to.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Drunken Baker posted:

What? Hahahha. I've not followed anything about Prey, but now I think I HAVE to.

3:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81Ofcp8Pp_U

It does seem very similar to the System Shock and BioShock series in a good way, with the grid inventory of the old 90s games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Yeah I didn't realize there was a quick turn button in RE7 until I watched some let's play after I beat it.

I wish your character had more verbs in general. Being able to lean around corners, dodge, or do literally anything other than crouch in the stealth sections would have been nice.