Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Do you really get enough spam calls that, upon seeing an unknown number, it's more likely to be a spam call than someone you know calling from a different number?

Pretty sure for me it's at least like, 3 times out of 4 that it's a friend if not more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe
The third largest corporation by revenue value in the world is Samsung, which basically comprises about 25% of the GDP of South Korea, a nation state that it sort of lock, stock and barrel controls. However, the Korean nation managed to hit Samsung coherently by arresting Lee Jae-Yong, the heir apparent to the basically dynastic company, for corruption.

What was the manner of the corruption that occasioned the coherent defense of the rule of law over the most oligarchical corporation, probably in the world?

There was a lady, by the name of Choe-Soon Shil. She was a cult leader of unimaginable power, whose cultists included basically the president of South Korea, and who could and did gently caress with the Ewha Womans [sic] University admissions and grading systems (this is a big loving deal ok it's korea) for her kid, Chung Yoo-ra. The most straightforward method of the many ways in which Choe-Soon Shil hosed with the college was by getting fraudulent medals in a sport for her daughter to get her in on an athletics scholarship.

What sport was this? Dressage. What exactly did the Samsung men give Choe-Soon Shil? A HORSE A MOTHERFUCKING HORSE A THRICEDAMNED BADWITHMONEY HORSE

so horses are bad with money even if you're a multibillionaire

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Do you really get enough spam calls that, upon seeing an unknown number, it's more likely to be a spam call than someone you know calling from a different number?

Pretty sure for me it's at least like, 3 times out of 4 that it's a friend if not more.

Who even makes telephone calls instead of texting anyway and what is up with your friends that they apparently use burner phones constantly?

VVV: I get spam calls almost daily, people I know text.

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Feb 17, 2017

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Unironically yes. It helps that the spam phone calls have mostly decided to spoof the area code I lived in 8 years ago, since that's the area code my cell number still has. Most of the rest come from random out of state numbers where I've never lived nor know anyone. The one time I answered an unknown caller that came from an area I knew people in, it was a car warranty seller. Now I'm probably on a list somewhere as a live number, so I'll get more spam calls in the future. :shepface:

Then again, I don't live in a weird universe where everyone I know is constantly changing phone numbers or borrowing strangers' phones. Maybe answering unknown numbers makes more sense there.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
it's almost as if whether answering unknown numbers is a good idea depends on personal circumstances like how often you get spam calls, wow!!!!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Zo posted:

it's almost as if whether answering unknown numbers is a good idea depends on personal circumstances like how often you get spam calls, wow!!!!

Thanks for cutting right through that. Super valuable insight.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Spending $10 to post on a comedy website and using your time to argue about caller ID is BWM.

Not sure if this is GWM or BWM, though?

quote:

How to budget for weed?

I have a Mint account and use it break down my spending. My income is around 1.6k a month and Mint wants me to budget and choose a category for my weed spending. The problem is that the costs are not consistent, so it can't recomend a good amount to spend for th emonth.

I also need to pick a category for it. Either medical or food. Note: I do use it for medical reasons but it is not prescribed by a doctor and my doctor does not know that I use it.

Sometimes I get it from my guy in bulk and sometimes I just get it when I need it. So the numbers are never consistent but I probably average about $550 a month.

Does anyone know how to make this work in mint or how I should categorize this in my budget?

Some people suggested entertainment, but I don't consider it entertainment and my entertainment budget is $200 so it won't work anyway.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/5ug8n5/can_i_add_a_friend_as_an_authorized_user_on_my_cc/

quote:

Can I add a friend as an authorized user on my CC to improve their credit?

What are the downsides of adding a (good, long-time) friend as an authorized user to my credit card for the sole purpose of building her credit? I wouldn't give her a card or any access to the account details. This is my idea, not hers. I have great credit, she has none and can't get approved for apartments/cards. She doesn't have any family members with good credit either. I'm interested in this idea because she's actually great with money in terms of spending/saving, she was famous in our social circle for covering her ex's rent all the time and then some, and I've seen her well padded bank accounts, she just needs a foot in the door into the credit world. Also all of these money convos start with me prying/trying to financially educate, so it's not like she's coaching me into some sort of sting XD

Downsides I can think of include -If I make late payments this will affect her, and -I guess she could somehow get ahold of the account details and get a card if she was really determined? I don't know how that part works.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Feb 17, 2017

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

How to budget for weed?

:lol: at the fact that the guy spending fully $750 of his $1600 monthly income on weed and "entertainment" is mostly worried about how to categorize it all in Mint.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Known Lecher posted:

:lol: at the fact that the guy spending fully $750 of his $1600 monthly income on weed and "entertainment" is mostly worried about how to categorize it all in Mint.

Hilariously good bad with money.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

$550 a month on weed

Can someone familiar translate that to a relative quantity for a non-stoner?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Not a Children posted:

$550 a month on weed

Can someone familiar translate that to a relative quantity for a non-stoner?

Roughly two ounces, depending on quality. Enough for two people to get really stoned every single day of the month easily.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Solice Kirsk posted:

All of those important things would leave a message. I usually answer my phone no matter what because I'm in sales, but the "if its important they can leave a message" logic is pretty spot on.

My husband had this philosophy and it once cost us a LOT of money. He ignored all calls from numbers he didn't recognise because they were always scams or spam. Then he got a VERY important phonecall, which he ignored, and they didn't leave a message.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

This title is basically America.txt

quote:

60 Years Old, Advice on How to Start Saving for Retirement

The body is BWM, but more sad than funny.

quote:

My friend has never been very good with money and hasn't built up any retirement savings throughout his life. Like most people eventually do at some point or another, he ran into hard times and had an accident a few years back that put he and his wife out of work (he was in construction). They lost their home in the process and have moved to a trailer that is at least paid off. They were living like they would never get old, in a house that was too big, with far too much debt. He's since started working again within the last year and called me tonight to ask for advice about retirement. The thought of being 60 with no retirement savings is a scary thought, to say the least, but this is where he's at and I'm trying to help now that he's finally asking for it.

His situation is that he's saved up about $2500 in a life insurance policy (I know, not a great vessel for retirement investing, I'm sure his agent sold him on it). He's putting $200/month into it, $75 of which goes to fees/insurance. So only $125 into investment. The invested portion apparently has a guaranteed interest rate of 6%. He's wondering:

A. What he should do with the money that he's managed to save in the insurance policy. (I know, I know, $2500 isn't even an emergency fund. But you have to think through the mind of someone who's never had $2500 in a savings account before).

B. Whether he should continue contributing $200/month to the policy and get the 6% growth or invest somewhere else (potentially an IRA). This rate is only guaranteed until 66, which is 6 years from now. Now, I have thoughts on this as well, but I've never put myself in the shoes of a 60 year old man with barely any money, so I'm definitely looking for insight. My first advice to him was, "Whatever you do, just don't spend the money, and don't withdraw it." I'm mostly concerned that he'll get some idea to "invest" it in a newer (used) car. Since he's going to be working for most of the remainder of his life, I think he could put that money towards an IRA and do okay. Realistically, he's still looking at needing 10 solid years of full-time work in one form or another. I'm also interested in how much cheaper (if at all) a cheap term life insurance plan would save him a month. His current plan is $100,000 and ends when he's 66.

At the end of whatever I tell him, regardless of what to do with the money, I realize that the biggest bit of advice will likely be "You'll just have to start contributing as much as you possibly can to retirement savings for the next ten years at least." And for those reading, work hard and try to not put yourself and your family through the stress of having no savings at 60 years old. :)

TL;DR: My 60 friend doesn't have retirement savings, finally decided to start saving, and wants to know what to do with the money.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/5ulntq/60_years_old_advice_on_how_to_start_saving/

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

BarbarianElephant posted:

My husband had this philosophy and it once cost us a LOT of money. He ignored all calls from numbers he didn't recognise because they were always scams or spam. Then he got a VERY important phonecall, which he ignored, and they didn't leave a message.

I've picked up the habit of answering phone calls because it seems a lot of recruiters don't leave a message since they have so many other people to call.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
We switched to Ooma for home service and they have community blacklists you can apply. It's really cut down on telemarketer calls. Doesn't do jack for local sales people, but most all spam calls now come on my cell phone. Pro tip, if you ever incorporate a LLC don't use your personal cell phone number.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

BarbarianElephant posted:

What if he normally answers everything, but was pooping when the call came in?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Someone needs to make an automatic bot that replies to any "Should I Co-Sign for my Girlfriend that I have been dating a few months?" post with "NO" and a thread lock.

This one is even better because he has so many red flags right in front of him, but still thinks he should do it or else he won't get laid.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/5um6rm/gf_refinancing_car_is_it_good_idea_for_me_to/

quote:

Gf refinancing car, is it good idea for me to cosign?

So my gf is going to try to refinance her car since currently her interest is really high. She finalized her bankruptcy last year. Just before we started dating. I know her credit score is like in high four hundreds or five hundreds. I can't remember. But I know mine is 798 to 810. So my question is, if I consign for my gf will i be doing harm to my credit? I know if my gf is late or stop paying it'll hurt me.

On OP's post history he has posts about :
- How he is deaf, but spends about $4,000 a year on vinyl records
- Asking if he still has to pay his credit card if it expires with a balance on it, and
- Questions about how much it costs to buy sex in Seattle and if he should tell his girlfriend about his sex addiction

I've got a good feeling that he is going to make the right choice on this one, though. He's due!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

On OP's post history he has posts about :
- How he is deaf, but spends about $4,000 a year on vinyl records
- Questions about how much it costs to buy sex in Seattle and if he should tell his girlfriend about his sex addiction

Picking up good vibrations, I suppose

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

canyoneer posted:

Picking up good vibrations, I suppose

Audiophiles are almost exclusively BWM. But deaf audiophiles might be a new level.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Truck Equity still going strong in America.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-fed-credit-idUSKBN15V27I?il=0

quote:

New delinquent U.S. car loans have returned to the same levels last seen at the height of the 2008 financial crisis

More Americans fell behind on their car loan payments in the fourth quarter, bringing auto delinquencies to their highest since the height of the financial crisis, Federal Reserve Bank of New York data released on Thursday showed.

Car loans delinquent by 30 days or more grew to $23.27 billion, the most since $23.46 billion in the third quarter of 2008. They were up from $22.98 billion in the prior quarter.

Seriously delinquent auto loans whose payments were 90 days or more past due jumped to $8.24 billion in the fourth quarter, the highest since the third quarter of 2016, according to the survey.

Delinquency is a predictor on possible losses for carmakers, which often make low interest loans to attract buyers.

Last month, Ford Motor Co's (F.N) finance arm said it expected a pickup in loan losses from historically low levels following a rise in delinquencies and car possessions.

"Credit losses have been at historically low levels for quite some time, and we continue to see credit losses increase

toward more normal levels," Ford Credit said in a presentation of its fourth-quarter results and 2017 outlook.

The increase in late loan payments coincided with drivers loading up on debt to buy the latest truck and SUV models, fueling expectations for record auto sales in 2017.

In the fourth quarter, $142 billion in car loans were generated, giving 2016 the most auto loan originations in the 18-year history of the data, the New York Fed said.

Auto debt hit $1.16 trillion, with a $93 billion rise over the year.

The increase in car loans was part of a broader growth in household debt in the fourth quarter which almost hit an all-time high in the fourth quarter, reaching $12.58 trillion, according to the survey.

Total debt was up $460 billion from a year ago and was just 0.8 percent below an all-time peak of $12.68 trillion in the third quarter of 2008, before the worst of the financial crisis and deep recession, the data showed.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
BWM: a massively indebted society electing people to get rid of the consumer protection bureau.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

quote:

Can I add a friend as an authorized user on my CC to improve their credit?
Adding someone as an authorized user to one of your credit accounts to build their credit is pretty common. He's actually being pretty smart about it by not giving them the physical card itself or the account information.

It's still possible for them to call the credit card company and report that their card is damaged or not working to get a replacement but usually I think most people have friends/family they can trust not to do this even if they wouldn't trust them enough to give them a card you're responsible for or to cosign a loan for them.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

cowofwar posted:

BWM: a massively indebted society electing people to get rid of the consumer protection bureau.

If someone was truly looking out for me, then why would they try to stop me from getting credit?

It's gotta go.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Yes I get tons of bullshit recorded marketing calls

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

On my home phone (aka, spam catcher)? Yes. 6 times out of 7 it's some bullshit. On my mobile it's less but not by much.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

I installed a phone app called Should I Answer which does a pretty good job of getting rid of a lot of telemarketer calls. I had to turn off its notifications but now it just ignores lovely calls silently for me.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.mistergroup.muzutozvednout&hl=en

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
I installed Mr Number a few months ago, it's done a pretty good job at blocking scam and sales calls.

The most calls I get aren't scams, but business where I used to be a customer. I still get calls from Allstate and DirecTV asking me to switch back to them.

I haven't subscribed to DirecTV since mortgage-backed securities were a good investment, but they keep calling, even after I asked them to stop a few million times.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

The funniest part for me is that he keeps pressing this plan on his female friend unprompted, probably because he's a true gentleman and will convince her that he's a Nice Guy.

It reminds me of the goon who carried his printer a couple miles to that girl's house.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
On Google Fi, suspected spam calls are marked with a flashing red text, identifying them as such. My job requires taking calls from unknown numbers all day every day and not dealing with spam is just wonderful.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Nitrox posted:

On Google Fi, suspected spam calls are marked with a flashing red text, identifying them as such. My job requires taking calls from unknown numbers all day every day and not dealing with spam is just wonderful.

Wow yet another reason to get with the Fi plan.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Nitrox posted:

Oh, that's just a Fi thing? Was gonna mention my phone does that - I thought it was an Android thing.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Nitrox posted:

That's a Google dialer thing. My 6p on Sprint does the same. It's glorious.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
If you have Att they put out an iPhone app to identify and block unwanted calls. It's been working well for me so far.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/at-t-call-protect/id1181632589?mt=8

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Zero One posted:

If you have Att they put out an iPhone app to identify and block unwanted calls. It's been working well for me so far.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/at-t-call-protect/id1181632589?mt=8

This thing needs a feature to make the suspected spam calls not ring/vibrate. It ID's them great for me, catching 2/3ish of them, but I still have to look at my phone, click decline, click block, etc. Just make them not ring.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Yeah, I've also gotten a SHITLOAD more spam calls since switching to Fi, so there's that.

Still, you can mark them as Spam once and they never come through again.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Nitrox posted:

My vanilla Nexus 6p actually does something similar even with drug dealer prepaid SIM card, it's pretty nice. I can manually mark a number as spam and block it too.

I didn't pay $10 to talk about caller ID, I paid $10 to get hazed. Caller ID chat is just a bonus.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Motronic posted:

Oh, that's just a Fi thing? Was gonna mention my phone does that - I thought it was an Android thing.

Looks like it's an Android feature from certain update forward. Fi phones came preloaded with 7.1, couple of months before anyone else had access to it, so I didn't realize it's across the board now. Fi owns for variety of reasons, still.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Nitrox posted:

Looks like it's an Android feature from certain update forward. Fi phones came preloaded with 7.1, couple of months before anyone else had access to it, so I didn't realize it's across the board now. Fi owns for variety of reasons, still.

Totally. Fi is very GWM, especially if you travel internationally.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

What other caller ID stories do people have?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

What other caller ID stories do people have?

Back in the day I allegedly set a CID on a SIP trunk to be AOL's support line. We offered callback support (but not call-in support) which led to some really angry emails about how the people on the phone kept claiming they were AOL and had no idea what was going on. I got a stern laughing to about that one. (It's like a talking to but when your manager isn't mad at you and can't stop laughing.)

• Locked thread