Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Medlar
Mar 14, 2013

Bashar al-Asuh Dude
Probably been posted a million times already but this is the one game we've played in years where comms and teamwork make the dream work.

And then one person makes a relatively minor mistake (or no mistake and an errant hockey puck magnetizes to a friendly's helmet two rooms away) and suddenly I'm telling my best internet buddies they should be placed into a maple leaf-emblazoned concentration camp.

Speaking of skill disparity above, I feel like this game has either new players, veteran-but-dumb players (majority), or players whose skill floor is the Armory in Hereford and they immediately burst out the windows and kill off half your team. I try picking ops to satisfy challenges but most of the time I'm happy to just use one of the unexciting-but-essential ops (Thatcher on offense, Rook or JAMMER on defense) now if it means a winning advantage. So long as I use Frost in the last winning defense round so the end screen is her goofy beachwear skin.

I feel like unmasking more of the female ops via DLC skins would incentivize more Clancy-bucks expenditures. Right now I'm sitting on north of 37,000 and I can't think of anything I want to blow it on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Medlar posted:

Probably been posted a million times already but this is the one game we've played in years where comms and teamwork make the dream work.

And then one person makes a relatively minor mistake (or no mistake and an errant hockey puck magnetizes to a friendly's helmet two rooms away) and suddenly I'm telling my best internet buddies they should be placed into a maple leaf-emblazoned concentration camp.

Speaking of skill disparity above, I feel like this game has either new players, veteran-but-dumb players (majority), or players whose skill floor is the Armory in Hereford and they immediately burst out the windows and kill off half your team. I try picking ops to satisfy challenges but most of the time I'm happy to just use one of the unexciting-but-essential ops (Thatcher on offense, Rook or JAMMER on defense) now if it means a winning advantage. So long as I use Frost in the last winning defense round so the end screen is her goofy beachwear skin.

I feel like unmasking more of the female ops via DLC skins would incentivize more Clancy-bucks expenditures. Right now I'm sitting on north of 37,000 and I can't think of anything I want to blow it on.

That beachwear skin is the best headgear in the game.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The trouble with flashbangs is it's pretty easy to avoid getting blinded by them if you spot them (cooking them can help reduce the time they'll have to react but it still might land behind a desk or something), and there's no way to really tell that they've worked except that you don't immediately get shot to death when you charge into the room. It's a gamble but learning how to time them and getting the positioning right can help. You can also try deliberately drawing people to looking at them - roll one under a door barricade and then smack/shoot the barricade before it goes off and odds are good someone will try to shoot at you through the door and get blinded (of course this means they'll also be aiming right where you're going to come in when they get blinded so it's not a great strategy since they might just get lucky with blind spray and kill you anyway).

People also have a bad habit of waiting after flashing so that it's worn off by the time they breach. When you hear that bang you need to be in the room immediately.

I should also mention that I am absolutely terrible at this game so this advice is more of an "in theory" kind of thing than based on actual successful experience.

Well first of all you can't cook flashbangs, they explode ~1 second after impact so you can just bounce them off the top of a wall inside a door or whatever and they'll explode midair. You also can't just look away from them and not be blinded. Objects between you and the flashbang are the only thing that will prevent you from being blinded, which is why it's good to get them to explode midair instead of on the ground where there's all sorts of random clutter.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

my kinda ape posted:

Well first of all you can't cook flashbangs, they explode ~1 second after impact so you can just bounce them off the top of a wall inside a door or whatever and they'll explode midair. You also can't just look away from them and not be blinded. Objects between you and the flashbang are the only thing that will prevent you from being blinded, which is why it's good to get them to explode midair instead of on the ground where there's all sorts of random clutter.

Are you sure about that? I have definitely looked away from flashbangs and not been blinded even though there were no obstacles in the way and they were well in range. Admittedly they were ones I threw myself so maybe that makes a difference.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Friendly fire flash seems to follow its own set of rules

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/Rainbow6Game/status/831851905836052481

E:

E2:

https://gfycat.com/GoodReadyAmphiuma ??

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Feb 16, 2017

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Throwing flashes off the ceiling for a midair burst is actually a good idea, thanks for the tip

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Is there anyway to gift the season pass to a friend?

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

CJ posted:

Aside from just giving them cash it buy it, no. I've asked Hard about this but I guess he hates people wanting to give him money :shrug:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Couldn't you buy it for them on Steam? You know, like any normal game that wasn't made by Ubisoft.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

CJ posted:

You'd have to buy a season pass code from a place like GMG or a grey market retailer, basically.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

CJ posted:

Yes. This is for uPlay only: https://uk.gamesplanet.com/game/tom-clancy-s-rainbow-six-siege-year-2-pass-uplay-key--2778-28

Steam should also let you purchase it as a gift or add a copy of it to your inventory to gift later. Or does it not for season pass DLC?

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Even if you could that wouldn't work if you didn't have the base game in steam

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell
Anyone else find that Oregon is just "Attackers Win: The Map"? The basement is ok but once they open up that ceiling its just shooting fish in a barrel. Every other point is just an undefenable death trap. You need real competent team mates which just, lol, isnt a thing.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Space T Rex posted:

Anyone else find that Oregon is just "Attackers Win: The Map"? The basement is ok but once they open up that ceiling its just shooting fish in a barrel. Every other point is just an undefenable death trap. You need real competent team mates which just, lol, isnt a thing.

Don't solo queue.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

No that's favelas. Though I've been seeing defenders win on The Worst Room In The Game lately

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Hey Hard, any chance we can get the ability to jump to specific cameras with F keys? Having to cycle through a bunch of broken ones is a pain.

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell

The Duggler posted:

Throwing flashes off the ceiling for a midair burst is actually a good idea, thanks for the tip

I think flashes just feel too risky for me. You throw it in the room but who knows if that means you can peek now or not. Its a really dangerous 50/50, it'd be great if you got a +5 points Flashed Enemy bonus or something so you'd know if it worked.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Space T Rex posted:

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

No that's favelas. Though I've been seeing defenders win on The Worst Room In The Game lately
I don't think there's any map like that.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

It's actually pretty winnable on non-bomb if you roam like crazy.

No, harder than that.

Harder.

Hard!!!

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
top floor hell room is more defensible if you aggressively hold the aunt's room stairs, but that's not usually possible because those stairs aren't very defensible themselves.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

We won Packaging before when every GSG9 recruit had 3 barbed wire, we basically put barbed wire on every loving surface of that top floor and ran around with shotguns: https://streamable.com/sjf6

Favelas does have the highest incidence of absolute dogshit objective spots though, outside of hostage they're all pretty much awful to defend (noted exception: soccer bedrooms on bomb).

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Feb 17, 2017

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Space T Rex posted:

I think flashes just feel too risky for me. You throw it in the room but who knows if that means you can peek now or not. Its a really dangerous 50/50, it'd be great if you got a +5 points Flashed Enemy bonus or something so you'd know if it worked.

It's supposed to be a risk, unfortunately most of the time people flash they don't actually push so the defender has had time to recover and you just get plugged.

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I don't think there's any map like that.

Well well well, we got a pro gamer on our hands everybody.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Space T Rex posted:

Well well well, we got a pro gamer on our hands everybody.
Not really, just have played every map thoughtfully for for at least a few times?

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

All the maps are pretty well balanced and I wouldn't be surprised if wins were split almost evenly on all of them

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

top floor hell room is more defensible if you aggressively hold the aunt's room stairs, but that's not usually possible because those stairs aren't very defensible themselves.

Yeah aunt's room is the place I legit never won. I think you might have to pop open the hostage room. Favelas is kind of unintuitive like that sometimes.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

The Duggler posted:

All the maps are pretty well balanced and I wouldn't be surprised if wins were split almost evenly on all of them

Especially across all game modes, even if I think that they are made in mind with Bomb as the main mode.

Lemon-Lime posted:

Hey Hard, any chance we can get the ability to jump to specific cameras with F keys? Having to cycle through a bunch of broken ones is a pain.

I always thought that this is an extra edge that destroying the cameras gives to attackers.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I like Favelas.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Bomb is the worst

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I dislike Hostage more than Bomb.

Why, yes, I do, in fact, main Fuse for chill games.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
I like all maps and enjoy the different playstyles that they bring to the game. I wish some stuff was more consistent between maps, like floor destructability and now exactly it works, but I enjoy the variety we get.

So as another 25k has rolled into my bank account, I was gonna buy Hibana cause I'm sick of only having one option when noone else picks Thermite. Plus her gun seems to be crazy good, so what's the optimal setup for it to make it into a laser precise bullethose. I'm guessing that the silencer and the front grip and a must, but what about the barrel tip?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
So I am super duper new to the game, I am also very bad. I have saved up a bit of coin and own the following operators: Doc, Rook, Thermite, and Sledge. I can now buy a few more operators. I don't want complicated or flashy ones, just ones that are simple safe/ good supportive bets. Any suggestions?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Get Jager and Ash when you get good at shooting mans. Kapkan and Montagne are good bets for bad players.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Get Jager and Ash when you get good at shooting mans. Kapkan and Montagne are good bets for bad players.

I'm actually pretty ok due to years of shooter expereince, cs go, etc, but my map knowledge is garbo. I mostly like heroes that help my teammates more than boost my own abilities however (i.e. rook/doc)

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

Knifegrab posted:

So I am super duper new to the game, I am also very bad. I have saved up a bit of coin and own the following operators: Doc, Rook, Thermite, and Sledge. I can now buy a few more operators. I don't want complicated or flashy ones, just ones that are simple safe/ good supportive bets. Any suggestions?

Stay away from Fuze and especially Castle until you know what the gently caress you are doing. But right now I'd say Jaeger is your best bet, and he's cheap since he'd be your first GSG9 man.

edit: it was also real smart to buy the four you did first. Save maybe Thermite they're all very useful and easy to use.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Is thatcher complicated? I hate mute but don't want to get a operator that would be tough for a noob like me to use.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Thatcher's a good wingman, you just throw your special grenade at walls. That's about it. Just never wander off or die first.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

Knifegrab posted:

Is thatcher complicated? I hate mute but don't want to get a operator that would be tough for a noob like me to use.

Not really. Follow around thermite/hibana and throw your balls to the wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Yeah you follow Hibana or thermite to the wall they want to hit and you prime it for them.

• Locked thread